ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Deener says Billy Donovan is in play for UL

With the right hire, UofL could pop back quickly. Maybe not as quickly as UK did when Cal immediately landed Wall and Cuz, of course.

Most of the top high school recruits might be off the board, but a couple top 50 frosh and the portal can cure a lot of ills.

And it's hard to believe Donovan would go to the school that kicked his mentor to the curb.

Last edited:
I don't think Donovan would come back to college to coach at Louisville. He would have to rebuild and at almost 60 years old it just doesn't seem realistic. The recruiting headaches and constant pressure to win would always be there, he had a couple of chances to coach at Kentucky and I don't think anybody really knows why that didn't happen. He would always be compared to Pitino at either place and if he didn't want to coach at Kentucky then for whatever reason, I don't see him taking the Louisville job now.

I don't think Donovan would come back to college to coach at Louisville. He would have to rebuild and at almost 60 years old it just doesn't seem realistic. The recruiting headaches and constant pressure to win would always be there, he had a couple of chances to coach at Kentucky and I don't think anybody really knows why that didn't happen. He would always be compared to Pitino at either place and if he didn't want to coach at Kentucky then for whatever reason, I don't see him taking the Louisville job now.
Donovan was tired of the recruiting grind when he left Florida, and remarked how great it was to "just coach basketball" in the NBA. The recruiting grind now is infinitely worse and more complicated than it was when he left college. Even if he and the Bulls part ways this year, he will easily land another NBA job if he wants it.

I also think the looming specter of conference realignment isn't doing Louisville any favors here. The moment the ACC falls apart they're back to being a midmajor.

wouldn't be surprised to see them leak out a few big names that told them no, set expectations with the fans that no big name is coming, then hire the guy they realistically thought they could hire to begin with

Imagine announcing Jerry Stackhouse is their new coach when the fans thought they were getting Drew

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Donovan was tired of the recruiting grind when he left Florida, and remarked how great it was to "just coach basketball" in the NBA. The recruiting grind now is infinitely worse and more complicated than it was when he left college. Even if he and the Bulls part ways this year, he will easily land another NBA job if he wants it.
Be awesome if we could get cal and Donovan to pair up. Cal seems to love the recruiting grind but is tired of coaching. Seems like a perfect match!!!!

wouldn't be surprised to see them leak out a few big names that told them no, set expectations with the fans that no big name is coming, then hire the guy they realistically thought they could hire to begin with

Imagine announcing Jerry Stackhouse is their new coach when the fans thought they were getting Drew
I would not be surprised to see Stackhouse's name thrown around going to UL.

If Billy D wanted to be coaching in college, he would already be doing it.

If Billy D wanted to be coaching in college, he would have his choice of jobs. (UL is not it)

If Billy D wanted to be coaching in college, he would not choose a total rebuild..(UL is that, you’re going to have to bring a lot of players with you)

Last edited:
Someone is going to end up being very wrong about this whole situation if they actually fire Payne. It’s clear that Louisville people still consider themselves to have an elite job that can attract just about anyone just from the history and prestige of being Louisville basketball.

I think they’re delusional and will have to settle for a mid-major coach or maybe Mick Cronin if his past stint as an assistant makes him feel a personal draw there. I would be shocked if they get some of the names they’re throwing around like Donovan, Drew, Oats, Pearl, etc.

So has Billy's wife been spotted looking at horse farms? 😁

There are much better jobs out there if he wants to get back into the college game than UL.

You mean the billy donovan that wouldnt take the UK job out of respect for pitino is going to take the job at the school who tarnished Pitinos career and drove him out of college basketball? Fat f*cking chance

They can throw all the names they want. and in the order they want them. However the reality is the names they want are not the names that will want to go there. regardless of how they spin it NO BIG NAME COACH is going to that dumpster fire right now. They are going to have to settle for a coach that has been fired or will be fired this year or a mid level coach. example Cronin, Stackhouse etc. OOOOOOO it will be a treat to watch them melt down with their coaching hire. LOUISVILLES PROBLEMS THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING

Reactions: westerncat
You mean the billy donovan that wouldnt take the UK job out of respect for pitino is going to take the job at the school who tarnished Pitinos career and drove him out of college basketball? Fat f*cking chance
Actually, Pitino did that to himself.

Reactions: davtay
More grandiose delusions of Louisville thinking they are better than they really are believing they can pull in Donovan or Drew. Their best bet is to hire an older coach that is proven if they ever want to turn the program around.

Last edited:
Saying it out loud does not make it become a reality. But, it does identify you to those of us who will point and laugh in the very near future.

Deener and Ty Spaulding are 2 of the top 5 biggest chodes in that fan base. And that’s saying something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT