ADVERTISEMENT

Dress shirts...white everyday

backbeatcat

Sophomore
May 7, 2002
I wear white/light color dress shirts to work every day and it's time to replace my stock. What is the best deal going for white dress shirts? Are the online "bespoke" things like Proper Cloth any good? What brands are good under $100 for durability/feel these days? My wife does most of the shopping but this is a thing I don't trust her to buy.

White shirt everyday is the wardrobe of cartoons.

Brooks Brothers run a little big, but they are one of the best for non-iron and wrinkle resistance. Can get decent deals if you catch something on clearance. Haven't heard great things about bespoke (I work in a law office where the bespoke shirt guys circle like sharks), but I'm sure some of the brands are quality. Kenneth Cole has nice fits, but always slightly wrinkled (and never more than slightly).

I prefer Brooks Bros. and Orvis no-iron shirts. They are good quality and they run sales on them several times a year whereby you will pay about $65 per shirt if you buy three. The no-iron is a must as they pay for themselves through dry cleaning savings. If you want something in the $35-$50 range, you could try Land's End but the quality isn't quite the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlbanyWildCat
Reminds me of NASA in the 60's.
662791main_lcc-apollo-226.jpg

Online made to measure stuff is great once you get the measurements correct.

Moderntailor has decent enough shirts. Indochino isn't bad depending on the fabric you're ordering. The premium white is good.

Indochino has great customer service. The suit jackets fit very well, but I haven't had a lot of luck with the suit pants. Something about the way the leg/lower leg is cut. But I haven't sent the pants back to get them redone (I'm sure they'd send pants with adjusted measurements).

Probably the best way to get custom fit clothing without spending thousands on a suit.

I prefer Brooks Bros. and Orvis no-iron shirts. They are good quality and they run sales on them several times a year whereby you will pay about $65 per shirt if you buy three. The no-iron is a must as they pay for themselves through dry cleaning savings. If you want something in the $35-$50 range, you could try Land's End but the quality isn't quite the same.
I will second Orvis. Everything I have ever bought from them is built to last. Love their outerwear during the winter. I have a lined wool sweater from them that I can wear instead of a coat down to about 20 degrees and be plenty warm for my 1/2 mile walk from car to office.

Joseph A. Banks. Buy 1 shirt at regular price and get 4 shirts, 3 pair of slacks, 2 pairs of socks, shoe selection of your choice, mail order bride from Eastern European country, pony, and a Toyota Landcruiser free.

You mean JOE-seph AAAAAAA Bank!

I haven't worn a dress shirt or tie since my last job interview 15 years ago. The job itself didn't require it (wore a uniform). Tee shirts, shorts or jeans (and of course the mandatory ballcap) for last ten years after retirement. [thumb2]

I wear white/light color dress shirts to work every day and it's time to replace my stock. What is the best deal going for white dress shirts? Are the online "bespoke" things like Proper Cloth any good? What brands are good under $100 for durability/feel these days? My wife does most of the shopping but this is a thing I don't trust her to buy.
I've been buying most of my shirts at charles tyrwhitt. They are all pretty much $110 but go on sale for as little as $29. Main drawback is thst they are shipped from london so you have to pay an international processing fee on your card and wait about 2 weeks for them to arrive.

ctshirts.com

Sounds like IBM until the mid-90s.

A lot of that mentality goes back to this book that was required reading in the 1980's-1990's at some of the high powered business schools. The book quoted a study that found that people who wore white shirts where seen as more honest and trustworthy those who wore any other color. Thus IBM and some other big companies mandated the white shirt.

DFS_Cover1-595x1024.jpg

Last edited:
I've always had good luck with Lands End, pinpoint, no-iron shirts. Run about $55-60 apiece but can be had every so often at sale prices. Not the fanciest shirts, for sure, but solid, wear well, last a long time and are shipped right to your door. Have considered the Paul Frederick deal ($25/shirt for 4 shirts) but have no idea what the quality is. Might give them a try as it's difficult to find even a reasonably good dress shirt for $25.

Shit. I go to TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Ross for Less. Can get a good white shirt for under $25.

$100 for a shirt is effing moronic.
Last white shirts that I got at Marshalls - The buttons disintegrated into a crumbling mess. I think they were Pierre Cardin. Anyway...soured me on Marshalls.

Believe me I know. The large regional company that I work for is stuck in 1985. Hey, I get to pick what color tie I wear!! I can wear a suit with or without cuffs or pleats!
Had a similar problem at current job as well (my natural state is Jeans and tee shirt). Wife got me s number of $25 van heussan wrinkle-free shirts from jc penny when they were on sale. Expensive enough it makes me look decent, cheap enough that I don't have to be too careful to take care of them.

I've always had good luck with Lands End, pinpoint, no-iron shirts. Run about $55-60 apiece but can be had every so often at sale prices. Not the fanciest shirts, for sure, but solid, wear well, last a long time and are shipped right to your door. Have considered the Paul Frederick deal ($25/shirt for 4 shirts) but have no idea what the quality is. Might give them a try as it's difficult to find even a reasonably good dress shirt for $25.

The Paul Fredrick shirts are fine. I wear them with a suit every week (work) day.

Orvis dress shirts are $$$$ and worth every damn penny.

Shit. I go to TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Ross for Less. Can get a good white shirt for under $25.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts you'll get at least 4x more value from a $100 Orvis dress shirt than any Ross shirt. And I know because I used to go all Ross. Orvis shirts last about 4x the washes, plus they look better and no ironing is required.

Now if you're only wearing dress shirts a few times per year, go with Ross. But if you have to wear them every day, go higher end.

Charles Tyrwhitt. Trust me. I've had Brooks Brothers and plenty of nice super expensive shirts, and I love these better than anything I've had.

I've probably got 10-15 of them now. And honestly, I find myself only wearing those. Never really wear the 5-10 I have that Brooks Brothers and other brands, because I just love the CT shirts so much.

Based out of London, England. So I'll say use a credit card. If you use a debit card you have to tell your bank beforehand because it's an international transaction. I had that issue first time I ordered.

The quality of these shirts are like their standard $150-200 price tag. BUT, they constantly have deep sales. They're having on now where you can get 4 shirts for $179. They run those sales all the time.

Have a tie from them too, and I really was pleased with the quality of that.

http://www.ctshirts.com/us/

You guys are such noobs. The pro way to do it is participate in the foreign student exchange program and bring some kid from Indonesia over on a student visa and then put that little bastard to work in your basement.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
Only ones I see wearing a white dress shirt everyday are these book salesmen that come through my neighborhood.
Did not know a back pack w/ shirt and tie goes so well.
jehovah's+wittness+teens.jpeg

Reactions: Supreme Lord Z
Perry Ellis no-iron dress shirts. Regular price is $69.99 but you can usually get them at Dillards for 35 bucks. Pretty much the only off the rack dress shirts that actually fit my shoulders and not balloon out at the waist.

Damn 79, you grew up rich.

Lol I wish. Solid middle class (father neither engineer nor management), which is fine, but cheap parents meant I wore off-off label clothes and got a job for any spending money. No regrets except for high school yearbook photos.

Agreed. Add in Wal-Mart and Target to the list as well. Some of the most expensive shoes and clothes I have bought have been the biggest pieces of crap. Asics $60 shoes (previous year model that Kohl's was trying to get rid of their stock) didn't even last a year of occasional casual use. Nike athletic shorts started developing holes within the first 3 months. Dockers khakis became stiff and rough feeling after two washes.

Meanwhile the $30 Champion shoes I bought at Target are the best tennis shoes I've ever had, and I've owned at least one pair of shoes from Nike, Adidas, Asics, Converse, Reebok, and Fila. The random brand of Walmart shoes my parents would buy me as a kid would easily last over a year. And I would wear these every single day because it was the only shoes I had other than boots and dress shoes.

The Starter and Russell brand athletic shorts I bought from Walmart that I've had for a year are still going on strong with no sign of wear and tear.

The George brand khakis I've gotten at Walmart still feel soft and not stiff and I've had them for two years now at least.

Agreed. Add in Wal-Mart and Target to the list as well. Some of the most expensive shoes and clothes I have bought have been the biggest pieces of crap. Asics $60 shoes (previous year model that Kohl's was trying to get rid of their stock) didn't even last a year of occasional casual use. Nike athletic shorts started developing holes within the first 3 months. Dockers khakis became stiff and rough feeling after two washes.

Meanwhile the $30 Champion shoes I bought at Target are the best tennis shoes I've ever had, and I've owned at least one pair of shoes from Nike, Adidas, Asics, Converse, Reebok, and Fila. The random brand of Walmart shoes my parents would buy me as a kid would easily last over a year. And I would wear these every single day because it was the only shoes I had other than boots and dress shoes.

The Starter and Russell brand athletic shorts I bought from Walmart that I've had for a year are still going on strong with no sign of wear and tear.

The George brand khakis I've gotten at Walmart still feel soft and not stiff and I've had them for two years now at least.
I've had a pair of Asics for about 9 or 10 years now. Swear by them. Did you buy yours from an ebay vendir named "voodoo srinivas"?

I honestly bet you all look goofy as hell walking around in George dress shirts. That being said, I bought a George belt for a funeral assuming I would just throw it away a month later and it has surprisingly lasted a couple of wears.

I'll swear by Gold Toe socks, though. If they sold that stuff exclusively at Gabriel Brothers I would shop there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT