ADVERTISEMENT

Down 7, 4.08 minutes to go...Season on the line. Who do you take as a coach?

I don't blame those last seconds ones on him nearly as much as say 2014 and part of 2015.

Buzzer beaters happen so can't be too grumpy at 2017 (and that was the year of the major screwing) and UNC wasn't a bad team. So, I'm more pissed at the NCAA and Rooferee on that one.

The last two on yeah. That's more on him for sure. Especially the 2018 loss (FTs!) and the choke to St Peters.
When you have as much NBA talent as Cal has had, those games shouldn’t be close enough to get beat by a buzzer beater.

Looking at all the teams Cal has lost to in the tournament, only one of those losses was to a team that was favored (uNC 2017).

Reactions: KFuqua
When you have as much NBA talent as Cal has had, those games shouldn’t be close enough to get beat by a buzzer beater.

Looking at all the teams Cal has lost to in the tournament, only one of those losses was to a team that was favored (uNC 2017).
Again, not defending Cal, but sometimes you do just get beat, especially at the buzzer. And especially in the tourney.

I can't blame 2017 on him, I just can't. We got so railroaded in that first half even national media and former officials were saying it. And we had to fight and claw against 8-5 all game. Not to mention, UNC was sadly damn good (and cheating all the way) That was a a screw job and not just to us, they screwed over Anderson and Arky as well. I've never seen such a rigged and poorly officiated tourney as that one.

The rest, he shares some blame on varying levels. It's the last 5 years I'm really disgusted with him on.

Again, not defending Cal, but sometimes you do just get beat, especially at the buzzer. And especially in the tourney.

I can't blame 2017 on him, I just can't. We got so railroaded in that first half even national media and former officials were saying it. And we had to fight and claw against 8-5 all game. Not to mention, UNC was sadly damn good (and cheating all the way) That was a a screw job and not just to us, they screwed over Anderson and Arky as well. I've never seen such a rigged and poorly officiated tourney as that one.

The rest, he shares some blame on varying levels. It's the last 5 years I'm really disgusted with him on.
I'm not blaming 2017, 2011, or 2014 on Cal, we had epic runs in those tournaments and those runs happened because bigtime players made bigtime play after bigtime play, but eventually the well ran dry (11 & 14) and guys that typically hit shots, stopped hitting shots. That stuff happens.

2017 has it's own story, that was definitely a massive screw job.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbncal02
Okay, it's a trick question.

Just finished watching the last five minutes of this game. Nice memory from the recent past - Kentucky, under Calipari, down 7 to Pitino's Louisville team in the Sweet 16, outplay them down the stretch for a huge win... ...(click on the "Watch on Youtube" link...)

Living in the past...the game has passed Cal by....now he is content to count his $$$$$ and agitate the fan base.

Reactions: KFuqua
I'm not blaming 2017, 2011, or 2014 on Cal, we had epic runs in those tournaments and those runs happened because bigtime players made bigtime play after bigtime play, but eventually the well ran dry (11 & 14) and guys that typically hit shots, stopped hitting shots. That stuff happens.

2017 has it's own story, that was definitely a massive screw job.

I know a lot of people were peeved with Grady, but that man was playing on two broken feet. And really the same goes for CJ too, poor man was made of glass. They get a pass. But you're right, it's wild how our shooters just go ice cold when it matters most.

2017 really soured me on college ball. Like, that was so obvious the fix was in it killed my love of the game for awhile. Ol Daggum and K know where bodies are. That's the only explanation.

That 2017 tournament was horribly officiated. Northwestern remembers:

C7PN3FrVoAAWFjK

For those that don't.....this was called a block. A BLOCK. And Northwestern's coach went LIVID and rightfully so. Got T'd up.

Who ended up playing each other in the Finals? You got it. UNC and Zaga. That whole tourney was rigged

Last edited:
I think you all may have been thinking 4 minutes and 8 seconds so the answer would be Pitino. The way the question reads, there is only 4 minutes and 4.8 seconds left so it's Tubby.

Pitino unless there are only 1.8 seconds to go ,you have s one point lead and the other team is taking the ball out in back court

There's also these ones:

-Up 9 with two minutes to go in 2008, and loses.
-Down 1 with the ball and under 15 seconds to go in 2011, and loses.
-Down 2 with the ball and under 10 seconds to go in 2013, and loses.
-Scores 4 points over the last 5 minutes of a national title game in 2014.
-Scores 4 points over the last 4 1/2 minutes of a Final Four game in 2015.
- Comes back after being down 7 with a few minutes left, ties the game, but loses on a buzzer beater in 2017.
- Scores 6 points over the last 5 minutes in a 2018 tourney loss.
- Up 2 with 30 seconds left in 2019 and loses in OT.

Maybe you should hold off on glorifying Calipari until he actually does something again. We're going on potentially 9 straight years without a Final Four (8 if you don't count the COVID season).
Don't be too rough on him. He's just doing his job.

• Haha
Reactions: Montana81
Okay, it's a trick question.

Just finished watching the last five minutes of this game. Nice memory from the recent past - Kentucky, under Calipari, down 7 to Pitino's Louisville team in the Sweet 16, outplay them down the stretch for a huge win... ...(click on the "Watch on Youtube" link...)

You spend way too much time on this board dude. Lol. Get a life.

Izzo is crap. Hasn’t done - thing in years and has very questionable “alliances”, I’ll call it.

There’s positives and negatives to izzo. He flat out coached circles around Cal in that game last year. He hasn’t missed the tournament in 25 years. And he has 8 final fours.

The negative: He’s had 13 seasons with 10 or more losses in 28 years. He only has 5 30 win seasons in all that time. He’s only been able to convert 1 of those 8 final fours into a title and it’s been nearly a quarter century since that lone championship.

I think he’s been a great coach for a place like Michigan State. They couldn’t ask for much more. But i wouldn’t take him here.

I’d hope for more than 1 title in 25 years but sadly, we’re now in the same position.

There isn’t anyone out there right now that stands out to me in this situation. In his prime, i don’t think anyone was better at playin from behind than Pitino. Both his Louisville and Kentucky teams had tons of come from behind victories.

I remember watching his first Louisville team erase a 7 point deficit in the last 30 or so seconds against Tennessee.

And then for his first final four at UL they came from like 20 down against Beleins West Virginia team in the E8.

And ofcourse the big come back at LSU is the greatest comeback in the history of the sport. I think we were down 9 to arkansas in overtime of the 1995 SEC final and won.

Yeah…give me prime Rick Pitino and i’ll take my chances.

Reactions: bigbluedon
-Up 9 with two minutes to go in 2008, and loses….
Cal is famous for saying he never watches “the tape” of his final games of the year that are losses (which would be all but 2012). I wonder, though, had he analyzed what went wrong in that 2008 Championship Game how many other ones listed would be there? My best way of learning from my mistakes is to analyze what I did and try not to repeat the pattern. To me, it seems like the losses have familiar, preventable patterns.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
…Nice memory from the recent past - Kentucky, under Calipari, down 7 to Pitino's Louisville team in the Sweet 16, outplay them down the stretch for a huge win...
I loved that game! It was such fun to witness it in person, great memories!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT