ADVERTISEMENT

Dontaie Allen

Aug 30, 2014
Just saw on twitter where he was in a wreck of some sorts. Possibly a collarbone injury. Man this kid has been snake bitten.

Edit: Just realized JR posted a tidbit on this over in HOB with more info on the situation.

Reactions: kev69
Just saw on twitter where he was in a wreck of some sorts. Possibly a collarbone injury. Man this kid has been snake bitten.

Edit: Just realized JR posted a tidbit on this over in HOB with more info on the situation.
Damn. Hope it’s not as bad as it sounds.

Reactions: kev69
I'm expecting Allen to be better than Baker if the knee is fully recovered.

I'm fairly confident the 40th ranked player is not going to see time with Hagans, Maxey, IQ, Herro and Baker in the mix.

Think about this past year when we had Green.. to go along with Herro, IQ, Hagans and KJ.. Baker got almost zero time. Even if he WAS better than say Hagans.. Hagans isn't a multi-year player, and Cal needs to move 1AD type talent along to make his syetm work (for better and worse).

I'm telling you.. Allen does not play significant unless we lose two of those guys.

I've watched many of his games this year.Kid is the real deal and can light it up.I hope he is able to play this year.

The guy was averaging over 40 points a game?

Maybe he surprises us. I know he's bee on the rise. But there's a reason he's ranked where he is.

Seeing as he's more of a SG/SF.. and with guards who will be playing SG minutes, along with Brooks and Whitney playing SF and PF at times.. how do you see Allen getting minutes? If he gets 15mpg or more, where are those coming from?

Maybe he surprises us. I know he's bee on the rise. But there's a reason he's ranked where he is.

Seeing as he's more of a SG/SF.. and with guards who will be playing SG minutes, along with Brooks and Whitney playing SF and PF at times.. how do you see Allen getting minutes? If he gets 15mpg or more, where are those coming from?

He's ranked where he is due to.competition in KY

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
You're kinda proving my point. Lesser competition, lower ranked, guys ahead of him who will have experience on him and Cal needs to give 20+ minutes to.

It's really not even about Allen's abilities. He's a multi-year player and there's 200 minutes per game. Those minutes, in Cal's system have to go to the 1AD types and the guys who came back because to work on their game. Cal is going to play those guys until he can't.

Allen is a pure SF so him getting playing time depends on if Brooks or Whitney are going to be play the 3 or 4 mostly AND whether we get some guards back. Obviously too soon to know if he plays much or not. let's say We only add the grad transfer big and miss on Mcdaniels and Hurt then brooks will play mostly the 4 which allows allen to back up Whitney at the 3. So many variations at this point . I think he physically will be fine by January but it just depends on if he is needed. He will be a great player in time in the vein of Darius Miller .

Reactions: CalCat57
I’d agree. Almost 6-6 and a better athlete, rebounder and shooter.
Baker is 6'4 a good shooter showed good D in the NCAAT. Baker is also a guard where Allen is more of a forward, UK will have a lot of forward depth and little guard depth depending on returnees. Baker would play over Allen just bc Cal trusts Vets pretty much the whole OOC scheduele. And if what your saying is true and baker will be the 8-9th man off the bench it might be one of those transfer situations. Charles Matthews didnt even want to be 6th man as a sophomore

Baker will play over Allen. Baker is a shooter and is proven on the defensive end!

Baker stepped in and showed he could play this season. With a summer to improve I could see him taking a huge step forward

Reactions: westerncat
I don't know about his freshman season because the injury. However, you guys will end up loving this kid. He is from my hometown and every kid there (including him) dreams of playing at UK. Most of them dream of that, not the pros. At some point he will be a significant piece of a team and he will not dip after a year. He will be a multi-year guy and knows how to score.

I'm fairly confident the 40th ranked player is not going to see time with Hagans, Maxey, IQ, Herro and Baker in the mix.

Think about this past year when we had Green.. to go along with Herro, IQ, Hagans and KJ.. Baker got almost zero time. Even if he WAS better than say Hagans.. Hagans isn't a multi-year player, and Cal needs to move 1AD type talent along to make his syetm work (for better and worse).

I'm telling you.. Allen does not play significant unless we lose two of those guys.
What does Allen have to do with Quickey and Hagan's? Those two are point guards. Allen is a wing and we lose keldon Johnson. He can definitely get minutes next year.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
What does Allen have to do with Quickey and Hagan's? Those two are point guards. Allen is a wing and we lose keldon Johnson. He can definitely get minutes next year.

I was mistaken, thought he was a bit shorter. But I still think he's more of a SG. Either way, seems we have our starting wings in Brooks and Whitney (or at least near starter minutes). And I'm still not sure Herro is gone.

I don't know about his freshman season because the injury. However, you guys will end up loving this kid. He is from my hometown and every kid there (including him) dreams of playing at UK. Most of them dream of that, not the pros. At some point he will be a significant piece of a team and he will not dip after a year. He will be a multi-year guy and knows how to score.
Exactly he will know what it is to play for the name across the front of the jersey!

Reactions: Fgpoe03
Allen, when healthy, will earn playing time and will eventually be a contributor. Just knows how to score and we need that, big time.

Baker will play over Allen. Baker is a shooter and is proven on the defensive end!

Is he a shooter, really?

I realize it can be tough playing limited minutes. But 32.8% overall, 36.8% from 2, 31.0% from 3.
I'm not ready to say he can't shoot. But I also think it's premature to call him "a shooter".

per KSR in a car wreck yesterday. That sucks...kid can't seem to catch a break.

Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery from both injuries!

Edit: didn't see the other post on this topic from yesterday. Mods, feel free to merge this one with the other one (not that anyone needs my permission for anything :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT