ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan

CatChow

Sophomore
Apr 12, 2014
Fairly good chance Pitino is whispering in his ear....**Take it if offered....do it**....Give Donovan a year to get acclimated back to college and he'll have Rupp rockin'.

Of course, there's always K....just sittin' on the beach.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I’m all in for Billy if he’ll come, but we can’t get ourself in a situation where we giving some second rate coach a fortune to come here if Billy were to decline. Might be best to give somebody like a Pope a lesser term and contract deal to see how it goes. Maybe 3 year 15 million with some healthy incentives built in or something.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
I’m all in for Billy if he’ll come, but we can’t get ourself in a situation where we giving some second rate coach a fortune to come here if Billy were to decline. Might be best to give somebody like a Pope a lesser term and contract deal to see how it goes. Maybe 3 year 15 million with some healthy incentives built in or something.

Pope hasn't won a ncaa tourney game. Hell no.

Reactions: MbergCat
Biggest downside w BD is timing and that he wouldn’t be bringing a recruiting class so we would have a purely portal year one. But I believe he’d kill it year 2-10
Pitino was 16-16 first year. Billy D will not start with even a fraction of the challenges Pitino did.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Nope to Pope, personally. He's way down on the list with Golden and other largely unproven head coaches.

Roster would be a huge challenge with Billy, if he wins the play-in game, it would be more than a challenge. The portal closes on May 1, so I don’t know what they would do.

You are right. There is no way a successful NBA coach with 2 NCAA titles will be able to keep some of our current players on board and lure some others that are out there.
Terrible take. It’s not happening in a year with Donovan. He will of course fill out the roster with whatever scraps are available after the portal closes. Idk which current player he moves the needle for or even if there is a current player outside of reed

Roster would be a huge challenge with Billy, if he wins the play-in game, it would be more than a challenge. The portal closes on May 1, so I don’t know what they would do.
He has to win 2 play in games to be in the playoff. Very low odds bulls season is still going on 8 days from now.

I would sacrifice year 1 to get BD.
Don't kid yourself we are going to suck next year regardless.Right now we have no team and no coach just like Cal always wanted it when he left. The new coach whoever he is HAS TO be given at least 2 years to pull our program back together

Reactions: RunninRichie
You are right. There is no way a successful NBA coach with 2 NCAA titles will be able to keep some of our current players on board and lure some others that are out there.
Some of our players may not want to wait until May to find a new team. That’s the big risk. Also, some of our players were still in diapers when Donovan won his last title. It’s not like they were watching Noah and Horford dominate the SEC.

That's not the point. If/when Donovan becomes coach, at the earliest, it'll be extremely late in the transfer period and will give more time for current transfers-out to land elsewhere. It'll be difficult to find players who haven't already signed with new schools. Plus, there's more time for our current players to enter the draft. The timing with Donovan really does make him a great hire with some serious roster challenges to overcome right off the bat. I think he could still kill it next year, but timing is razor thin.

So his season is about to end in less than an hour. I can only imagine how behind the curve we would be had we waited.

Dude Bro GIF - Dude Bro GIFs

I was never in Donovan camp, he has NEVER wanted to be the UK mens basketball coach, he has had opportunities to be that, he even accepted once and then backed out. Even when he is failing as an NBA coach he downplays interest in coaching UK, I want him here even less than he wants to be here...thanks but no thanks. I wish Mitch had offered him 15 million a year, and after he said yes, "Man, I thought it over last night...I think we are going to look at somebody else, my bad Billy".

I never thought he was a good hire this time around. Can't hire someone completely new to portal and nil. He would hate it and be gone in a year or two while probably being mediocre at best.

That's all assuming he didn't string us out again before saying no.

If you're going NBA, I like the new BYU coach much better.

Reactions: catben
Pitino said during the Cutler radio hit that "Billy had no interest in the situation"

We all know Rick is full of crap so he could be lying but he said that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT