ADVERTISEMENT

Doesn’t fact we are on probation mean

Catfanlou

Sophomore
Oct 30, 2014
MB can void Stoops contract without any buyout ? Most such contracts require coaches to keep their team off of probation. I don’t think it matters whether he knew
Of the kids scheme . It was his duty to prevent such things from happening .

The stigma of probation and voiding wins is a big deal....but in reality this was as small as no pay jobs. This is such an injustice by NCAA when all kinds of Saban kids, etc.... are running around in BMW, tricked out Escalades, etc... and many guys are from poverty. And this happens all over the place (including basketball team) but we do this to a handful of football players.

I don't think Stoops contract should be voided due to this....but I 100% for sure can't see why UK agreed to honor all of his contract when he tried to leave for Texas AM. So if Stoops get fired and we owe him payout when he was more then ready to walk out to Texas AM....that woiuld be an equal injustice. But that is where good ole Mitch's nonsense comes to play.

The stigma of probation and voiding wins is a big deal....but in reality this was as small as no pay jobs. This is such an injustice by NCAA when all kinds of Saban kids, etc.... are running around in BMW, tricked out Escalades, etc... and many guys are from poverty. And this happens all over the place (including basketball team) but we do this to a handful of football players.

I don't think Stoops contract should be voided due to this....but I 100% for sure can't see why UK agreed to honor all of his contract when he tried to leave for Texas AM. So if Stoops get fired and we owe him payout when he was more then ready to walk out to Texas AM....that woiuld be an equal injustice. But that is where good ole Mitch's nonsense comes to play.

The flip side of that is if he had gone to ATM he would have owed UK whatever the terms called for.

• Angry
Reactions: K_TIME
MB can void Stoops contract without any buyout ? Most such contracts require coaches to keep their team off of probation. I don’t think it matters whether he knew
Of the kids scheme . It was his duty to prevent such things from happening .
It’s not his duty to prevent the actions of individuals who aren’t part of the football staff. It’s his job to ensure that his staff and players are educated on the rules, and that there are processes in place to monitor and try to catch things. That’s the most he can do and that can only reduce the likelihood of violations. It can’t prevent them entirely.

In terms of his contract, UK cannot fire Stoops for cause simply because we’re on probation. For Stoops to be fired for cause, there would have to be:
  • Major violations in the football program
  • Those violations would also have to be committed by either:
    • Stoops himself
    • A member of the football staff AND where Stoops either:
      • Had reason to know or suspect the violations and failed to act
      • Attempted to conceal the violations
      • Failed to report the violations to UK compliance after becoming aware of them
None of those conditions apply to the football violations, so Stoops can’t be fired for cause over them.

The flip side of that is if he had gone to ATM he would have owed UK whatever the terms called for.
Actually Grumpy, the buyout is only if UK lets him go. It has come up before that Barnhart has publicly said that he does not agree with holding coach's to buyout clauses because he doesn't want a coach who doesn't want to be here so Calipari did not have to pay us a dime. Stoops, I'm 99% sure has the same clause. It's stupid, it hurts UK because hardly any other schools do this but it's a point of honor with him.

Reactions: K_TIME
Actually Grumpy, the buyout is only if UK lets him go. It has come up before that Barnhart has publicly said that he does not agree with holding coach's to buyout clauses because he doesn't want a coach who doesn't want to be here so Calipari did not have to pay us a dime. Stoops, I'm 99% sure has the same clause. It's stupid, it hurts UK because hardly any other schools do this but it's a point of honor with him.
Stoops buyout to the university is currently $3 million if her were to leave.

It’s not his duty to prevent the actions of individuals who aren’t part of the football staff. It’s his job to ensure that his staff and players are educated on the rules, and that there are processes in place to monitor and try to catch things. That’s the most he can do and that can only reduce the likelihood of violations. It can’t prevent them entirely.

In terms of his contract, UK cannot fire Stoops for cause simply because we’re on probation. For Stoops to be fired for cause, there would have to be:
  • Major violations in the football program
  • Those violations would also have to be committed by either:
    • Stoops himself
    • A member of the football staff AND where Stoops either:
      • Had reason to know or suspect the violations and failed to act
      • Attempted to conceal the violations
      • Failed to report the violations to UK compliance after becoming aware of them
None of those conditions apply to the football violations, so Stoops can’t be fired for cause over them.
And even if he had done any of that, UK would lose in court if they fired him a season after UK was put on probation.

Really? Now I have to agree that that is pretty dumb on ADMB part.

No...the ncaa said staff didn't know.
I thought they had a standard of reasonably should have known.
At any rate I’m sure u guys are right and we are now on a downward spiral stuck with a coach who doesn’t really want to be here. No other school will be willing to pay him even half of what he makes here based on results and style of play .
Doesn’t bode well for future attendance .
But at last we will still get the bid SEC check to pay his unearned ten million a year as he mails it in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT