ADVERTISEMENT

Does Cal already have a new job lined up

They can't justify hiring Cal over Rodney Terry who has them atop the toughest conference in the country as an interim coach.
Whats Texas roster look like for next year? I’m being sincere bc I have no idea. I doubt though the head dogs at texas have a ton of faith in an an unknown to pull in big names. They’ve done well for sure but remember when Cals name came up, then the reports of contact between the two. Then it all went silent fast? It was all around the time we started to nose dive. Terry may be looking good now but his track received as a HC is terrible. Sometimes if the right players are there is doesn’t matter who the coach is. There was a whole lot of smoke then it went away real quick.

Everyone keeps complaining that Cal will take his recruits with him. Who cares? People act like guys like Scott Drew or Nate Oats would show up empty handed...as if they wouldn't bring their recruits with them
Exactly. A top 10 class would be coming with either of the 3 realistic replacements.

I’ll trade a Top10 class AND an actual system for the #1 class running the weave and drive… and the likelihood that entire #1 class plays is slim anyways. Between Bradshaw and Dillingham I’d bet the house one of them either doesn’t make it to campus or has a mysterious injury within the first 10 games and doesn’t play the remainder of the year

Some think Texas was in play for Cal a few weeks ago , but it’s no longer a possibility. The possibility of another job is St Johns , Ga Tech or Georgetown…but those jobs would likely only offset his buyout by $20 mil ( 4-5 yr deal at $4-5 mil per yr ) . That would still leave UK on the hook for $20 million , and would require some concessions from Cal for it to happen . Paying Cal $8M for 2-3 yrs , another coach $ 5-7 mil per yr plus buy the assistants out isn’t gonna happen . Of course , this would all assume Cal agrees to leave in some sort of ‘firing ‘ & takes the other job immediately

Whats Texas roster look like for next year? I’m being sincere bc I have no idea. I doubt though the head dogs at texas have a ton of faith in an an unknown to pull in big names. They’ve done well for sure but remember when Cals name came up, then the reports of contact between the two. Then it all went silent fast? It was all around the time we started to nose dive. Terry may be looking good now but his track received as a HC is terrible. Sometimes if the right players are there is doesn’t matter who the coach is. There was a whole lot of smoke then it went away real quick.
With CBB who knows how they'll look next year, but they have a nice class put together. I think Terry's fate will be tied to how deep they go in March-but as long as they lead the top conference in country and show well in March...think you don't make a switch.

Another thing--can you see Cal really having the balls to go to Texas when he knows they are joining the SEC in '24? That wouldn't seem like the type of move he'd be willing to make based on how he's scared of everything while being at a top of the food chain job. If his ego can't take being in spotlight with Stoops at Kentucky--he'd be far beneath the Texas FB program in terms of interest and support.

With CBB who knows how they'll look next year, but they have a nice class put together. I think Terry's fate will be tied to how deep they go in March-but as long as they lead the top conference in country and show well in March...think you don't make a switch.

Another thing--can you see Cal really having the balls to go to Texas when he knows they are joining the SEC in '24? That wouldn't seem like the type of move he'd be willing to make based on how he's scared of everything while being at a top of the food chain job. If his ego can't take being in spotlight with Stoops at Kentucky--he'd be far beneath the Texas FB program in terms of interest and support.
I could see a deal where there is an agreement to avoid having to play in rupp 3 years. It’s would be ballsy but not near as ballsy as coaching at UL.

Cal has a history of leaving the wreckage of the past to be cleaned up while he flees unscathed to his next gig. He did it at UMass. He did it at Memphis with a weak AD. He was feeling the heat at Memphis after DeJuan Wagner was a bust, Sean Banks left school, and until he cast his lot with World Wide William Wesley for the Laurinburg bunch of Joey Dorsey, Robert Dozier (couldn’t get into Georgia) and Antonio Anderson. Throw in the Derrick Rose miracle SAT score taken in Detroit and he’s in the Final 4 with 38 wins. They all were vacated as well as the Memphis appearance in the title game with Kansas.
Then he takes his new bunch of recruits (Wall and Cousins) with him to KY.
His welcome in Memphis was worn out long ago.

Good luck getting rid of him without some kind of problem later. Kentucky Basketball deserves better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Girthang
for next year? He's coaching like and throwing his players under the bus like he's already gone and is trying to get that buyout money, just like Coach Smith when he cashed that million dollar longevity bonus from UK after he'd already agreed to terms with Minnesota.

Where would Cal already be heading if this were the case? Yall got any ideas?

Nice call. Well done.

No.
for next year? He's coaching like and throwing his players under the bus like he's already gone and is trying to get that buyout money, just like Coach Smith when he cashed that million dollar longevity bonus from UK after he'd already agreed to terms with Minnesota.

I can't believe this was over a year ago. I almost posted the same thread this semester. Maybe Cal was hoping to get fired and get a buyout settlement, then get another job.

Reactions: SDC888 and BBUK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT