ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone return?

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
Have to ask the question but if the season ended today would any of these guys return? I know it’s a long shot but man I’d give anything for Dilly and Reed to both return, that duo would run college basketball for another season.

Dilly is as unlikely to return as any player we’ve ever had. Forget about it. I think Reed returns to focus on much needed improvement on on-ball defense. Thiero returns to start, play big minutes and work on shooting which will make him a top 20 pick. Onyenso may elect to transfer with the bigs we have coming in, really hope he stays for 4 years though, don’t think he’s much of an NBA prospect but playing here for 4 years is best for his development and getting that shot. I think Joey Hart will be here 4 years, could be a grad transfer after 3 if he feels like he’s not gonna get a chance here. I think Burks will leave and try to work up through the G-League. He’s talented and it could work for him, I think he’ll be on an NBA roster one day even if it’s a cup of coffee.

Everyone else is gone. DJ Wagner doesn’t turn 19 until the Spring and should seriously think about a year 2 but he’s not scared to work and put the time in to develop on a good team as a late first round pick, playing light minutes for 2 or 3 years. His trajectory will be like Moses Moody on the Warriors.

Sheppard has been touted for Player of the Year. As high as second or third. It's masochism to dream of him returning.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
I don't know. Reed is fantastic at this level but I'm not sure his game translates as well at the pro level. Don't get me wrong, he's athletic and can shoot the ball but is he fast enough to create his own shot at the next level, against guys that are all fast? Again, IDK but I think he has the most to gain by staying another year. It's still pretty early to be making those calls too. He has great hands but needs to work on his D a lot. I think he could become spectacular if he plays next level D, against next level speed and athleticism.

We're fast at this level, for sure and Shep is no slouch there but he's a step behind a few guys on THIS team. We'll see. He has a lot going for him. He seems to be a smart bball player and you can't coach that. He sees the floor. Again, tough to coach that.

The more I think about it...He gone!

But I do think he has more to gain than anyone else I can think of on this team by staying another year.

Lock To Leave:
Dilly
Reeves
Reed
Mitchell (graduate transfer)

Likely To Leave:
Bradshaw
Edwards

Not Likely To Leave:
Wagner
Burks
Thiero

Lock To Not Leave:
Ugonna

Sheppard has been touted for Player of the Year. As high as second or third. It's masochism to dream of him returning.
Player of the Year is rarely a big time NBA prospect these days. Very real possibility Sheppard returns. Go turn on an NBA game tonight and tell me who Reed can guard. He’ll get there but he needs another year to work on defense and he knows it.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
I think Sheppard, Thiero, Burks, and Hart will return.

The rest will head to the NBA or transfer out.

With Sheppard back, we might be the favorites to win the title.

If Sheppard leaves we will have a good but not great squad.

Reactions: deep3
Lock To Leave:
Dilly
Reeves
Reed
Mitchell (graduate transfer)

Likely To Leave:
Bradshaw
Edwards

Not Likely To Leave:
Wagner
Burks
Thiero

Lock To Not Leave:
Ugonna
Switch Wagner and Sheppard. Sheppard is a lot more likely to stay than Wagner. Wagner has been OAD since before he signed.

Reactions: NociHTTP and deep3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT