ADVERTISEMENT

Do you want Stoops gone?

Should this be his last year?

• Yes

Votes: 184 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 14 7.1%

• Total voters
They were considered one of the bottom feeders in the SEC. They were called a “sleeping giant”. Like KY.

UK is not a sleeping giant.

And you are high or something...love ya bud but you need to admit you are wrong here.

Spurrier took them to a new level but he is also one of the best college football minds of all time in one of the biggest recruiting hotbeds in the country.

Look at these records...not one UK coach has a record close to any of these guys since Bear Bryant.

1950 - 1959Bob Woodruff53-42-6
1960 - 1969Ray Graves70-31-4
1970 - 1978Doug Dickey58-43-2
1979 - 1984Charley Pell33-26-3
1984 - 1989Galen Hall40-18-1

• Haha
Reactions: BigBlueCatNation
Even if that’s true that’s not why they lost today. We have good players. It’s no excuse for them to be this bad. This is South Carolina not Alabama. We look WORSE on offense. Think about that. I don’t even understand how that’s possible

Agree!

Well if we can get a new coach for about $5 million like we did in basketball, that's nearly $10 million a year saved and can easily pay the buyout on Stoops. Give the new coach like $5 million a year and save the other $5 million for assistants and future raises. If we could get a $10 million a year homerun hire, there's still the leftover Cal money to pay to Stoops over like the next 10 years. It's up to what Barnhart wants or if the money people force his hand.

Reactions: Farsight
Nothing more than what Stoops has already done.

Again, not defending him. I wouldn't lose sleep if he left, I just think the expectations of football are all out of whack here.
Expectations? To be competitive with a mediocre team on our own field? Come on my man. Stoops is awful. 98% of the people on this board don’t expect to win the SEC but we should never lose like we did today. You have been around too long to think like that.

Best, most diplomatic and fair thing for all parties is that he takes a gig this offseason. He'll pull out 6-7 wins and maybe a bowl victory this season. But I think he's done all he can, wants, and is motivated to do here.

Nothing wrong with ending amicably. He walks away winningest UK coach to date with some really nice accomplishments. We get to start fresh and build upon what he did with someone who can do more.

Swing for the fence and call Chip Kelly. Either one of the Oregon coordinators, both destined to rise up short lists and be HCs in the not-so-distant future. Maybe one brings the other with him for the right price. Seattle Seahawks OC, up and coming cat was at Washington.
I am not sure we'll win 6 or 7 games. We may not win 4.

Expectations? To be competitive with a mediocre team on our own field? Come on my man. Stoops is awful. 98% of the people on this board don’t expect to win the SEC but we should never lose like we did today. You have been around too long to think like that.

I wasn't talking about today. More in generalities. Today was awful and embarrassing.

I think the bigger question is who wants this job? You can get Sumrall or Neal Brown and that's your two best options whod have interest.

For every Eli Drinkwitz type theres a million Satterfields.

That's not a Stoops defense. I just dont see anyone wanting this job any more than vandy.

I have it on pretty reliable info that if Stoops did take the TAMU job Sumrall was ready in waiting. The guy is 24-4 as a HC and just took a seriously undermanned Tulane team to the brink against a top 15 team.

If he was on our sidelines today I can guarantee you we wouldn't lose by 25.

No, it’s not

The one at WV isn’t doing a good enough job

Yes it is. UK's NIL is held up by strings and popsicle sticks by Eddie Gran.

Neal Brown? The guy who is 0-1 this year and 31-30 so far at WVU, a school with a lifetime 60% win percentage.

Whatever floats your boat. Like I said multiple times, I don't care. They can fire CMS....don't think I'd hire Brown though.

Yes it is. UK's NIL is held up by strings and popsicle sticks by Eddie Gran.

Neal Brown? The guy who is 0-1 this year and 31-30 so far at WVU, a school with a lifetime 60% win percentage.

Whatever floats your boat. Like I said multiple times, I don't care. They can fire CMS....don't think I'd hire Brown though.

He's saying Neal Brown isn't good enough for the UK job, I believe.

Also, I'm not convinced NIL is the thing "holding us back". We've consistently recruited top 25 classes and were able to keep Brown and Walker when you know big money would have moved them elsewhere. It's plain and simple. We need someone with energy and passion to push us to the next level.

Stoops rose the tide a bit but he's barely floating at this point.

He's saying Neal Brown isn't good enough for the UK job, I believe.

Also, I'm not convinced NIL is the thing "holding us back". We've consistently recruited top 25 classes and were able to keep Brown and Walker when you know big money would have moved them elsewhere. It's plain and simple. We need someone with energy and passion to push us to the next level.

Stoops rose the tide a bit but he's barely floating at this point.

Just to be clear, what I am saying is Stoops and Marrow have been able to get guys because of relationships despite their NIL gap. If they are gone, particularly Marrow, plus having an NIL issue, it will be a bigger problem.

Just to be clear, what I am saying is Stoops and Marrow have been able to get guys because of relationships despite their NIL gap. If they are gone, particularly Marrow, plus having an NIL issue, it will be a bigger problem.

And what I'm saying is that none of that really matters if you are just going to shit down your leg when it's time to put all of those pieces on the field.

Maybe the next guy needs to figure out a way to do more with less. Maybe our vanilla AD needs to figure out a reasonable solution to NIL. I don't know the answers but Stoops is done at UK as far as I am concerned. We could be top 5 in NIL and recruiting and I don't think it would matter at this point.

We’ll see. This is bad, but we’d have to be a level of bad that I need more proof of for Stoops to be in any danger of getting fired. Most people are perfectly happy just making a bowl game most years. Unless we only win 2-3 games, he’s coming back, and I don’t really blame them.

Wasn't there talk of Marrow staying when Stoops was almost gone to A&M?

He’s a plateaued employee.

And Hamdan may be in over his head in the SEC but 2 games is a very small sample size. We’ll find out soon enough

Let’s see if the team quits or responds. If it quits then Stoops will have to go.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Just add the obvious here:

CMSis a defense first coach in a sport that has become all offense.

The game definitely has passed him by. I commented when he was hired that as defense minded bend but don’t break coach that he’d never have the talent at UK to make it work. And he hasn’t. Had a couple of really good defenses against a weakened SEC East. Those days have been Clementined, lost and gone forever, dreadful sorry.

I'm not a fan of Stoops right now but I think he answered that question correctly. The only thing we can really build on is the strength of our D-line and linebackers and the play of our kicker.

It was all systems failure everywhere else.

I’ll preface by saying I’ve never been a Stoops guy. Appreciate that he brought respectability to the program but I’ve never liked him as a coach or his personality.

I have no idea why we pay him and his assistants so much while understanding it’s not my money. This team is a total mess but still has multiple OOC cupcakes, there are other SEC messes on the schedule, and Vandy is still beatable regardless of the VT win.

Most of Stoops’ success has come from cleaning up on cupcakes, Louisville being a joke, and the floundering of a few other SEC programs much more than anything in particular he’s done imo.

I’d prefer the basketball model. Save some bucks on the staff, get younger/more energetic, move financial savings over to NIL.

You must not understand how the athletic department works under Barnhart. Stoops is getting a lifetime contract after today. But I still voted yes!

You can tell yourself that.

Here is a fact. Stoops has seven 7+ win seasons at UK in 11 seasons.

It took UK 29 seasons to get seven 7+ win seasons before he got here.

The SEC is only getting more competitive.

Again, I'm fine with a change I just doubt anyone will be any better. Change to whoever, all good with me.

I'm more of a realist than anyone who thinks we are ever competing for SEC titles, etc. It isn't happening...
Let’s take a look at Mumme on. If you add the additional automatic win to Mumme’s schedule, he wins 7 or more in 2 out of 4 seasons.

If you look at Guy Morriss, he won 7 games in 1 of 2 years.

Look at Brooks, he won 7 games in 4 out of his 7 seasons.

Stoops is not going to reach 7 wins this year. That will give him 7 out of 12 years with 7 wins.

Stoops has more resources than any of those guys could ever imagine having. Facilities, assistant coach salaries, etc. and after this year, he will have won 7 or more games in 58% of the seasons he’s been here…the same percentage as Brooks who had folding chairs in the corner as a recruiting room and a tiny pool of money for assistants

What Stoops is doing the last few years is not acceptable. He gets major kudos for the 10 win seasons, but below .500 in conference 5 of the last 6 seasons doesn’t cut it when you have what he has compared to his predecessors.

Let’s take a look at Mumme on. If you add the additional automatic win to Mumme’s schedule, he wins 7 or more in 2 out of 4 seasons.

If you look at Guy Morriss, he won 7 games in 1 of 2 years.

Look at Brooks, he won 7 games in 4 out of his 7 seasons.

Stoops is not going to reach 7 wins this year. That will give him 7 out of 12 years with 7 wins.

Stoops has more resources than any of those guys could ever imagine having. Facilities, assistant coach salaries, etc. and after this year, he will have won 7 or more games in 58% of the seasons he’s been here…the same percentage as Brooks who had folding chairs in the corner as a recruiting room and a tiny pool of money for assistants

What Stoops is doing the last few years is not acceptable. He gets major kudos for the 10 win seasons, but below .500 in conference 5 of the last 6 seasons doesn’t cut it when you have what he has compared to his predecessors.

Don't disagree. If I look at tenure of Stoops, I won't change my opinion. Anyone we bring in here won't do any better. Not saying it isn't worth a shot, just my honest belief about the program as a whole.

Don't disagree. If I look at tenure of Stoops, I won't change my opinion. Anyone we bring in here won't do any better. Not saying it isn't worth a shot, just my honest belief about the program as a whole.
I believe our floor should be 8-4/4-4. We have proven we can do that. I don’t think I’m being unrealistic in that either. I know Mitch won’t pull the trigger on him. I just think his time here has come to an end.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Just seen this thread, but in an easy answer…YES!! He’s a good/great defensive coordinator, but he’s not a Power 5 Head Coach. He cannot get out of his own way during a game, and the problem with that is that he’s been here long enough to have fixed that ego problem he has.

JMHO and I can get roasted for it but this is as good as it gets at UK with any coach that would come here.

I am not defending Stoops and would be fine if he left. I just think this isn't a football school and it never will be. The main reason we even compete at the level we do is because of recruiting success of Stoops and Marrow, Ohio/Michigan relationships. They go, that's gone.

Totally get why people want him gone though. You can almost rinse and repeat every season.

The best we can be is possibly last in the SEC?

Just seen this thread, but in an easy answer…YES!! He’s a good/great defensive coordinator, but he’s not a Power 5 Head Coach. He cannot get out of his own way during a game, and the problem with that is that he’s been here long enough to have fixed that ego problem he has.

My issue isn't with an ego. It's a lack of discipline and seemingly being unprepared regularly. If we played really good fundamental football and yet struggled due to lack of talent then that'd be one thing, but it's not a lack of talent, at least not always. Rather it's making mistakes and not being well coached.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT