ADVERTISEMENT

Do you want Stoops gone?

Should this be his last year?

• Yes

Votes: 170 93.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 6.6%

• Total voters
Yep. I mean again, not a Stoops fan boy but I just don't get what people think is going to happen. The fact we have two 10 win seasons in the past how ever many years is insane at UK...nutso.

Bear and Fran only others....haha, that was a lifetime ago, literally.

I implore you to review the two 10 win seasons and compare them to where we are now. In 2021 we beat an overrated UF team and Iowa (our only two ranked wins). In 2018 we beat (you guessed it) an overrated UF team and PSU for our only two ranked wins.

Meanwhile, we have had three consecutive losses to USC, blown out regularly by UT and UGA and look horrendous even when we win (penalties/players behavior, etc).

I don't like Stoops' culture, game plan as a head coach nor his decision making in game.

If he's fired tomorrow, does a top 50 program hire him?

This school needs to pour as much money as it can into basketball and backing Pope.
Lol. That’s what we’ve been doing for 60 years. Football is the cash cow. We need to back football first. You fund a solid football program. And you rake in the dough.

You can tell yourself that.

Here is a fact. Stoops has seven 7+ win seasons at UK in 11 seasons.

It took UK 29 seasons to get seven 7+ win seasons before he got here.

The SEC is only getting more competitive.

Again, I'm fine with a change I just doubt anyone will be any better. Change to whoever, all good with me.

I'm more of a realist than anyone who thinks we are ever competing for SEC titles, etc. It isn't happening...

Just because we sucked for a 100 years doesn’t mean 7 and 8 win seasons are good. Guy has never even sniffed a sec title. And he makes more in a year than pretty much all the other coaches did in their career.

You wanna praise him? Sure, go ahead. He was okay here and had a couple really good seasons that didn’t win anything.

But it’s time to move on. Best thing that could have happened is him sitting in college station right now.

Just because we sucked for a 100 years doesn’t mean 7 and 8 win seasons are good. Guy has never even sniffed a sec title. And he makes more in a year than pretty much all the other coaches did in their career.

You wanna praise him? Sure, go ahead. He was okay here and had a couple really good seasons that didn’t win anything.

But it’s time to move on. Best thing that could have happened is him sitting in college station right now.
UT was awful for 15 years. They hired a guy who runs a revolutionary offense. And they’re now a top 15 program in America. This defeatist “it’s basketball time now” attitude is why this program has sucked since Bryant left.

Reactions: Basil Cat
Lol, yeah they are. Their NIL situation is way better.

Again, by our allowance.

But what explained it before NIL? they were in fact a much worse situation than Lexington. Didn’t matter.

What a waste of talent. How many targets for brown and key? I know BVG didn’t have much time but damn.

I vote absolutely NO……
But I do think Stoops best seasons are behind him.

That said I would welcome a new fresh coach.

I implore you to review the two 10 win seasons and compare them to where we are now. In 2021 we beat an overrated UF team and Iowa (our only two ranked wins). In 2018 we beat (you guessed it) an overrated UF team and PSU for our only two ranked wins.

Meanwhile, we have had three consecutive losses to USC, blown out regularly by UT and UGA and look horrendous even when we win (penalties/players behavior, etc).

I don't like Stoops' culture, game plan as a head coach nor his decision making in game.

If he's fired tomorrow, does a top 50 program hire him?

I'm not defending him. I'm fine if he is fired, quits, etc ...

People just don't like that I don't think UK will ever be consistently good in the SEC.

And even if they are for a couple of years this will never be a destination job.

Our history tells the story.

Very undisciplined, unprepared and lack of any adjustments again. It looks very similar to another coach who eventually wore out his welcome after losing relevant games.

I understand that Stoops made his mark by beating the string of cupcakes on the front end of the schedule for the last several years. Those days are officially gone with the SEC expansion and murderers row after the first game.

I really hope the coaches can learn from this and get things rectified before the season gets too far advanced. Today’s exposure is pretty revealing and I fear the Cats will not win another game if they don’t.

You completely refuted your first paragraph with your second.

Kentucky CAN get athletes to compete. We can.

Best conference
Transfer portal
Chance to play for playoffs
NIL

saying this is as good as it gets is an absolute joke. It’s not. And the only reason it has been is because WE allow it to be.
The one thing that we can't change is that we live in a relatively poor state with fewer ultra-rich donors than many of our competitors.

I'm not defending him. I'm fine if he is fired, quits, etc ...

People just don't like that I don't think UK will ever be consistently good in the SEC.

And even if they are for a couple of years this will never be a destination job.

Our history tells the story.
Florida was total dogshit until they hired Spurrier. Historically one of the worst programs in the SEC.

I’ve been saying for a couple of years that he’s run his course here, and today only confirms that. I don’t expect national championships, but these type of games like today where we look totally unprepared and undisciplined and don’t even compete are far too common with him the past couple of years. He’s also never truly evolved out of his mindset that he wants to control the ball, play defense, and win 13-10, which just doesn’t work anymore. It’s time for us to move on, but I’m afraid we won’t.
Wr need to shot more 3s.

Again, by our allowance.

But what explained it before NIL? they were in fact a much worse situation than Lexington. Didn’t matter.

Who, Missouri? Yeah, I mean will have to see if he can keep it up. In fairness he had last season and now supposed to be good this year.

Anyway, I don't want to spend all night debating it. Just don't see this ever changing here long term.

Stoops has been disappointing the last couple of years...I agree. Again, I'd be fine if he was gone. Just don't think that it will matter. JMHO even if some think it is dumb.

Anyone making excuses for this staff today, doesn’t know football, sorry… this embarrassing loss is not due to the college landscape. We have more talent than South Carolina, this team wasn’t prepared, is not disciplined and our game plan blows. South Carolina has true freshmen beating triple team blocks… will we ever compete on a national level without improving the NIL, probably not, but today is on Stoops and the staff. Better game plans, South Carolina played with more physicality and passion and that’s coaching and preparation. Stoops and company is not improving the things we can have impact on, stop blaming the NIL for a clear slide backwards and poor coaching

Last edited:
The one thing that we can't change is that we live in a relatively poor state with fewer ultra-rich donors than many of our competitors.

That’s fair but… workable.

The right coach with the right excitement will rectify that.

We have enough businesses and alumni to make it happen. Now, the current NIL situation won’t be this way forever. They have to rein it in. Can’t be paying high school recruits 8 million to come to your school.

That is not even remotely true.

Edit-

I just counted them...they had 30 winning seasons between 1952-1989

Before Spurrier, Florida was known as a sleeping giant. Spurrier was the stick that woke the bear. Before 1990, Florida had some success in football but the motto was “Wait ‘Til Next Year.” Shoot, Emmitt’s teams were 20-14 during his three years at Florida. Jack Youngblood (BSBA ’72) played on a team that lost 63-14 … on Homecoming. And those are UF’s only two NFL Hall of Famers.

I could go on. The years known as the Golden Era included a stretch of 13 straight losses. One of the best Gator seasons in 1969 included quarterback John Reaves (BSBA ’73) throwing nine interceptions in a game, a record that will likely never be broken.

Ray Graves changed offensive and defensive coordinators before the Georgia game and lost 51-0. The only two SEC titles in school history were wiped from the books by massive NCAA infractions.

You get the picture.

But in 1990, Spurrier took the first steps to a New World Order. Florida would become a football power. Finally.”

Best, most diplomatic and fair thing for all parties is that he takes a gig this offseason. He'll pull out 6-7 wins and maybe a bowl victory this season. But I think he's done all he can, wants, and is motivated to do here.

Nothing wrong with ending amicably. He walks away winningest UK coach to date with some really nice accomplishments. We get to start fresh and build upon what he did with someone who can do more.

Swing for the fence and call Chip Kelly. Either one of the Oregon coordinators, both destined to rise up short lists and be HCs in the not-so-distant future. Maybe one brings the other with him for the right price. Seattle Seahawks OC, up and coming cat was at Washington.

Reactions: KYWC36
JMHO and I can get roasted for it but this is as good as it gets at UK with any coach that would come here.

I am not defending Stoops and would be fine if he left. I just think this isn't a football school and it never will be. The main reason we even compete at the level we do is because of recruiting success of Stoops and Marrow, Ohio/Michigan relationships. They go, that's gone.

Totally get why people want him gone though. You can almost rinse and repeat every season.
Even if that’s true that’s not why they lost today. We have good players. It’s no excuse for them to be this bad. This is South Carolina not Alabama. We look WORSE on offense. Think about that. I don’t even understand how that’s possible

I think the bigger question is who wants this job? You can get Sumrall or Neal Brown and that's your two best options whod have interest.

For every Eli Drinkwitz type theres a million Satterfields.

That's not a Stoops defense. I just dont see anyone wanting this job any more than vandy.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Guys, Stoops wants to be gone. He literally already tried to leave. He is done here. Just looking for a golden parachute. He wants a nice bag on his way out.
He ****ed that up. After this season he will have to leave for any team that will take him, and that’s entirely on him. You can’t quit BEFORE you have the new job lined up but that’s clearly what he’s done.

Reactions: TriCountyCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT