ADVERTISEMENT

Do you still wear a mask?

Have you stopped wearing a mask?

• Yes

Votes: 105 61.4%
  • No

Votes: 66 38.6%

• Total voters
It depends on who I am identifying as at any particular time. If I'm riding my horse alone on the range (or with my Indian friend), I always wear a mask. At other times, if I identify as Superman, nothing can hurt me, so a mask is not necessary. If I identify as Joe Bitem, the voices in my ear just tell me to get an ice cream cone and go to bed.

Only when mandatory with one exception - the grocery store.

I wear a mask in Kroger to avoid useless conversations with mild acquaintances I might encounter. The mask lets me get in, get out with unnecessary socialization kept to an absolute minimum.

I’ve been fully vaxed since May.

Covid rates are definitely going to increase in fall and will probably see a new rush for 3rd dose to protect against variants. Another round of lockdowns @ 50/50 by winter. It’s not over, especially with recent news that Pfizer is substantially less effective against delta. Contradicting studies with that, but there will be enough doubt to trigger shutdowns in some places

Reactions: CastleRubric
Covid rates are definitely going to increase in fall and will probably see a new rush for 3rd dose to protect against variants. Another round of lockdowns @ 50/50 by winter. It’s not over, especially with recent news that Pfizer is substantially less effective against delta. Contradicting studies with that, but there will be enough doubt to trigger shutdowns in some places

I dont think we will see “shutdowns” because low vax rate areas are run by people, for the most part that won’t mandate another lockdown. But human behavior will create defacto shutdowns when people stop going out. Remember, the vast majority of people getting the virus right now are not vaccinated. So every positive test is a new person with immunity. Watch England. Their cases will go down in the next two weeks while opening their economy even more because almost everybody getting the virus is young unvaccinated. They’ll reach herd immunity by mid august.

their Covid tracking program is showing a leveling off of new symptoms already.

We’ve got a lot more natural immunity out there in the USA. Combine that with our “ok” vaccination rates and we won’t see a huge spike. This all assumes they natural immunity lasts for 18 months or more.

I dont think we will see “shutdowns” because low vax rate areas are run by people, for the most part that won’t mandate another lockdown. But human behavior will create defacto shutdowns when people stop going out. Remember, the vast majority of people getting the virus right now are not vaccinated. So every positive test is a new person with immunity. Watch England. Their cases will go down in the next two weeks while opening their economy even more because almost everybody getting the virus is young unvaccinated. They’ll reach herd immunity by mid august.

their Covid tracking program is showing a leveling off of new symptoms already.

We’ve got a lot more natural immunity out there in the USA. Combine that with our “ok” vaccination rates and we won’t see a huge spike. This all assumes they natural immunity lasts for 18 months or more.
Might all be true but seasonal shifts pretty much dictate that low contraction rates right now and through summer have some attribution to season and not just vaccine. Not saying with that that the vaccines aren’t effective, but what I suspect is that rates will increase come fall, the media calls it a surge, the drug companies announce we should get a third dose and another mini mass insanity takes place.

Speculating of course

Reactions: chroix
Might all be true but seasonal shifts pretty much dictate that low contraction rates right now and through summer have some attribution to season and not just vaccine. Not saying with that that the vaccines aren’t effective, but what I suspect is that rates will increase come fall, the media calls it a surge, the drug companies announce we should get a third dose and another mini mass insanity takes place.

Speculating of course

I don’t think we will see anything crazy. Immunity is very strong and as long as it last 18-24 months you’re gonna see 70-80% of the adult population immune by September.
We’ve got 30 people in our office. 26 have either had the virus or are vaccinated. It’s going to be hard to see a surge in settings like that. Since the delta variant seems to hit kids, you’ll see some outbreaks in schools but we know that won’t lead to bad outcomes

I don’t think we will see anything crazy. Immunity is very strong and as long as it last 18-24 months you’re gonna see 70-80% of the adult population immune by September
There’s a caveat to that though and that’s with variants. Aware of at least two studies, one out of Israel, suggesting mRNA vaccines are less effective against covid. I don’t think we will ever see what we saw a year ago in terms of lockdowns, but can see tightening and lockdowns in some places in US. Wouldn’t be surprised if PAC, for instance, were to limit attendance at games and things along those lines.

There’s a caveat to that though and that’s with variants. Aware of at least two studies, one out of Israel, suggesting mRNA vaccines are less effective against covid. I don’t think we will ever see what we saw a year ago in terms of lockdowns, but can absolutely see tightening and lockdowns in some places in US.
“Less effective against Covid” or “delta”?
But they still work and the cases are incredibly low in Israel. And the breakthroughs that they are seeing are resulting in very low symptoms. Only people being hospitalized who are vaccinated are immunocompromised.

Isn't the cfr for "delta" dramatically lower than the original? There's zero reason to bring up any of the "npi" again.

Reactions: UKUGA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT