ADVERTISEMENT

Do you consider John Wall's NBA career to be a disappointment?

VaxxedObamaCat

Sophomore
Aug 1, 2022
He's not a bust in the sense of an Olowokandi or Oden or Darko. He's had good stats averaging nearly 19 ppg and 9 apg but he was supposed to be a phenom. That never came to fruition. Blame it on the Wizards or the injuries but I thought with him being one of the most exciting players we've had that he was for sure going to be a super stud.

He's made a ton of money and he's still in the league so he's had a solid career but I thought it would've been more. I also expected Ron Mercer and MKG to be much better than they ended up being and that didn't happen in the NBA.

I think Wall was successful enough…he played and made money
I guess I can’t imagine being able to be in the position he was…so it’s no disappointment
Maybe he wanted to leave a mark, and if so maybe he was disappointed
I hate to sound dismissive but it doesn’t really affect me either way?

Yeah, it’s been a disappointment. Many felt he would be a transcendent player. I know I did. I thought he was a potential generational talent. But that never came to fruition.

He‘s had a good, not great career. He did not establish himself as a top 25 point guard all-time. I felt sure he would be top 10.

Regardless he’s one of my all time faves.

Wall was so much better than others because he was more explosive and unbelievably faster than anyone with a basketball in his hands. When your game is centered around that injuries will be greatly magnified. I’m still impressed that he is as good as he is today after his setbacks. Definitely not a disappointment.

Not really a disappointment. I wish he wouldn’t have been so loyal to Washington. He should have played his first contract and then went to a big market contender in his prime….we wouldn’t be having this convo then. He was as dominant as any PG in his prime, just on an average team. Basically Wall, Beal, and a bunch of random dudes like neNe, Arica, Markeef Morris

A little but there's very few PG's that are the man on NBA Championship teams. End of day Wall chose $$$ time and time again over NBA success.

Now Anthony Davis to me.. is the bigger bust. I know he has a NBA Championship but at the time a lot of us felt like he'd be a top 10 player one day. Not the case and seems like his career is already dwindling.

Reactions: VaxxedObamaCat
A little but there's very few PG's that are the man on NBA Championship teams. End of day Wall chose $$$ time and time again over NBA success.

Now Anthony Davis to me.. is the bigger bust. I know he has a NBA Championship but at the time a lot of us felt like he'd be a top 10 player one day. Not the case and seems like his career is already dwindling.

Wall was loyal to the franchise that drafted him, a team that wanted to give him a max contract. That was bad?

AD is currently leading the NBA in rebounding and is 3rd in PER. A Looooooong way from a bust, and almost a lock Hall of Famer at this point.

Pretty hard to call a guy who was named one of the top 75 players of all time a bust.

He's not a bust in the sense of an Olowokandi or Oden or Darko. He's had good stats averaging nearly 19 ppg and 9 apg but he was supposed to be a phenom. That never came to fruition. Blame it on the Wizards or the injuries but I thought with him being one of the most exciting players we've had that he was for sure going to be a super stud.

He's made a ton of money and he's still in the league so he's had a solid career but I thought it would've been more. I also expected Ron Mercer and MKG to be much better than they ended up being and that didn't happen in the NBA.
He got paid. At the end of the day that’s all that matters. Not a big fan of NBA so it really doesn’t matter to me

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
Wall was loyal to the franchise that drafted him, a team that wanted to give him a max contract. That was bad?

AD is currently leading the NBA in rebounding and is 3rd in PER. A Looooooong way from a bust, and almost a lock Hall of Famer at this point.

Loyal... no he got the super max aka stupid money. Wall at the time wasn't even a top 15 player of course he's going to take it. Same reason Bradley Beal is staying in Washington it's a horribly run franchise.

AD is a bust in a sense he isn't going to live up to my personal and many others beliefs he was a top 10 player all time. Top 75 NBA player all time whatever lol he was a shoe in to make that the day he was born.

By no means this is slamming our Ex UK players. I just had higher expectations. Not that they care but it's how I see it.

Not really, he’s been an All-Star level dude his entire career. You can’t stop injuries but he still has a lot left and now he can chase Ships and still play a vital role on great teams.

Have you seen Davis this year? He looks healthy and as good as ever. If he stays on the court he will end up exactly where he was predicted too. Probably with a couple championships as long as he goes to a contender after LeBron is done. That’s what is killing him right now. Bron is old but they take up all the cap space and the Lakers blow at building rosters now.

Last edited:
Loyal... no he got the super max aka stupid money. Wall at the time wasn't even a top 15 player of course he's going to take it. Same reason Bradley Beal is staying in Washington it's a horribly run franchise.

AD is a bust in a sense he isn't going to live up to my personal and many others beliefs he was a top 10 player all time. Top 75 NBA player all time whatever lol he was a shoe in to make that the day he was born.

By no means this is slamming our Ex UK players. I just had higher expectations. Not that they care but it's how I see it.
There have been a lot of players. Top 10 is an incredibly tall order. Is Kobe top 10? Shaq? Dr. J? Got to leave a lot of legendary talents off of that list.

AD is 29 and arguably playing his best basketball right now. His career isn’t dwindling.

Will he stay healthy? Always the question mark. Guess I’d like to see fans enjoy his play instead of writing him off before his 30th birthday. He’s playing right now.

• Love
Reactions: Fox2monk
Yes, but because I had such high expectations for him. Injuries have really hampered him just like Davis. Both have been really good, but would’ve been even better minus the injuries.

Have you seen Davis this year? He looks healthy and as good as ever. If he stays on the court he will end up exactly where he was predicted too. Probably with a couple championships as long as he goes to a contender after LeBron is done. That’s what I killing him right now. Bron is old but they take up all the crap space and the Lakers blow at building rosters now.

Yes I'm a Lakers fan as well... followed AD plenty.

Again I'm not knocking the guy he's an all-time great but just thought he'd be more dominant in his career. If you watch the games like I do he takes so many plays/games off. Not to mention the injuries.

Multiple year all star. When he was healthy he was successful. Never played with really good talent either. That makes a huge difference on how the public perceived your career.

Wall has had an impressive individual career in his in game statistics as well as his income.

In terms of team hardware, he has disappointed me but it’s only because I had such high expectations for him. When he played at UK I was a senior in HS and he was the most electric player I remember watching play for UK (Pitino left before I was 10 and I grew up with Tubby and BCG players). So I thought he would’ve made a bigger impact on the league than he did. But he was a poor kid from North Carolina who went for the $$$. Cant say I wouldn’t have done the same in his shoes.

AD has been riddled by injury but it hasn’t been fun to watch Embiid take what I thought would his spot as the top big in the league (jmo that Embiid is the best rn). Same with Cousins- derailed by injuries (attitude and off court choices didn’t help him either).

Overall UK’s NBA footprint is so much bigger now than when I was a kid. But I’m only 31 so I don’t have memories of the greats that played for Pitino or prior unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: shaudyshaud

Yeah, I understand the Davis statement. He had the greatest year a college athlete ever could have and did well, an All-Star, and got a ring in L.A. and was the main reason for the team winning but he seems too fragile.

Reactions: DraftCat
Wall a disappointment

AD a bust

I’ve seen it all . Calling AD anything close to a bust is nuts . AD was very Raw coming into Kentucky and mainly a great defender . His offense has progressed big time . How on earth would he be a bust with a career average of 24 and 10

Reactions: bbncal02 and Aike
If you had to rate every nba player that’s ever existed wall would fall in the 7 range. He’s had a really good career. He’s no scrub. I think he’s been just as good as some other big names but wall couldn’t shoot. It was always his problem. Like others said, it kept him from being a great ond

He’s had a solid NBA career. He never really had a great supporting cast to make a championship run.
He’s got LeBron and that’s it, both of them have been injured lately, the next “best” player was Russel Westbrick. Enough said lol. They traded all their young talent for some old dudes who didn’t work out. LeBron tired to build like the 2007 Olympic championship team and it wasn’t close to working. All These old star players who can’t get it done now.

Last edited:
After his Laker deal expires I’d love to see him go to somewhere like Dallas where he could shine in a two man game with Luka. He’s so good and would be amazing to take the pressure off him inside because he commands so much attention.

Maybe some of you should have been watching AD tonight. 44 and 10 to lead the Lakers to a win in Milwaukee. One of the best games I’ve seen in a long time at any level. Guy is washed.[laughing]
I’ve seen him play plenty this year, you can tell he’s healthy now. Looks good as ever. Happy for him, hope he proves the street clothes haters wrong. Bookers 51 point game the other night was pretty 🔥!

Reactions: Aike
Not disappointing in anyway you could call him a bust. It does suck to see how bad injuries plagued him the past few years. He was one of the most exciting players in he league for a while.

This may be controversial, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that John Wall's 12 year, 5x all star career where he made $232 million is not a disappointment.

Just because somebody's ceiling was really high doesn't mean they're a disappointment.

It's night and day between wall and mkg. Mkg is considered a bust

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT