ADVERTISEMENT

Do we win this game in regulation if……

..if Dillingham simply holds the ball up high instead of dribbling around and making a jump pass?

Not all DJ’s fault there, Dilly was being way too damn cute with his dribbling there and got DJ somewhat off balance with where he delivered the pass. Dilly had a heck of a run to get us to that point though but have to play smart basketball there. A Harlam Globetrotters dribbling exhibition was totally unnecessary and IMO threw off the timing of a simple pass.

The pass was good enough that DJ should have brought it in but I didn’t feel anything good coming there with how dilly was being very reckless with his handles.
Dilly plays like several of those guards Arkansas has had … like he has fire ants in his pants. Sometimes, he’s too quick for his own good. He needs to know how to throttle himself. He’ll learn …

1. DJ doesn’t gift them a free possession with 28 seconds left

2. Tre doesn’t play like complete shit

3. We play at least two possessions of descent defense

4. AND THIS IS THE ONE I WANT TO STRESS, WE WIN THIS GAME IF THE REFS DONT TAKE TWO POINTS AWAY FROM US WITH GT CALL. Looking at a dunk when they blew that whistle. I really think that is some bullshit.
IF UK hits FTs.

How many games under cal has UK lost due to blowing it at the FT line.

Reactions: bigbluedon
That rule about reviewing goal tending at the next TV timeout is the worst rule I ever heard of.
They have to have someone able to review that somewhere right then and there.
Also if you get the clear rebound you take the ball out.
If no team gets a clear rebound off it then go to possession arrow.

We had the clear rebound we should been taking that out of bounds.

You can't get lose both pts and ball in that situation. Just really some kind of massive BS rule I ever heard of I can't believe that is the rule.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Burks shot it over the rim from 1 foot away and Edwards misses a layup at the end of the first half.
I’m glad this was brought up. Several 2-3 foot put backs, lay-ups and/or simple shots that were left short. They have to finish those…along with free throws. We win in regulation by 6-7 points if we hit those shots and a few more free throws.

Reactions: Kybluedude
I’m glad this was brought up. Several 2-3 foot put backs, lay-ups and/or simple shots that were left short. They have to finish those…along with some of the other guys that didn’t make these higher percentage shots.
Tre Mitchell’s 3/13 masterpiece included missed layups.

Dilly plays like several of those guards Arkansas has had … like he has fire ants in his pants. Sometimes, he’s too quick for his own good. He needs to know how to throttle himself. He’ll learn …
I sure hope he does. If not, I fear it will lead to an earlier than expected tourney exit.

Every year UK gets a game or two ripped from them. The spike ball, the LSU goal tend.

Let's hope this is the only one this year.
And irony, is that missed LSU goaltend is why the NCAA added the rule. But I don't think you should be able to go back after the play and change it. Goaltending, automatically stops play. (not like 2 vs 3)... so any ref can step in and say, lets look at that. Why would a ref do it, 5 minutes later? Because Buzzy got in their ears, and forced them to review it. Of course, they ignored Calipari when Tre's shot was interfered with by the TAM guy. (at the time it happened)

This is no different, than after a turnover out of bounds, the ref comes up and says, I think that ball was really off player x 5 minutes ago. Lets review and take that possession away from them. Because thats what it was.. They didn't just take 2 points away, they took our possession away, Ugo rebounded after the so called goal tend. And UK had the possession arrow.. So that is a crap rule that needs to get changed. Cost us the game. Yep it did.

Of course if not for that call, we'd never been in OT.. but I thought that was a bad call on the TAM player shooting the 3 and called for offensive.

And irony, is that missed LSU goaltend is why the NCAA added the rule. But I don't think you should be able to go back after the play and change it. Goaltending, automatically stops play. (not like 2 vs 3)... so any ref can step in and say, lets look at that. Why would a ref do it, 5 minutes later? Because Buzzy got in their ears, and forced them to review it. Of course, they ignored Calipari when Tre's shot was interfered with by the TAM guy. (at the time it happened)

This is no different, than after a turnover out of bounds, the ref comes up and says, I think that ball was really off player x 5 minutes ago. Lets review and take that possession away from them. Because thats what it was.. They didn't just take 2 points away, they took our possession away, Ugo rebounded after the so called goal tend. And UK had the possession arrow.. So that is a crap rule that needs to get changed. Cost us the game. Yep it did.

Of course if not for that call, we'd never been in OT.. but I thought that was a bad call on the TAM player shooting the 3 and called for offensive.
You can see it better in real time, Taylor exaggerated his leg movement trying to pick up a foul. Some shooters like he and espcially Dillingham have a natural kickout movement to their legs during a shot. But in this instance, its more than natural movement in which he purposefully extended even further. Not alot but definitely intentional.

Reactions: EliteBlue

4. AND THIS IS THE ONE I WANT TO STRESS, WE WIN THIS GAME IF THE REFS DONT TAKE TWO POINTS AWAY FROM US WITH GT CALL. Looking at a dunk when they blew that whistle. I really think that is some bullshit.
#1 was the killer. Not sure what happened with Wagner.

Count me unimpressed with Bradshaw. Another beanpole who won’t stick around long enough to really contribute. But will tear it up in the NBA with the spacing there.

I'm not gonna bash the kid but I definitely think this team played better without both 7 footers. Adou was the difference to me. Also not blaming the refs, we got a couple breaks, but they rode our guards like government mules while bring the ball up the court with no calls but seemed to quick whistle anything under their basket.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbluedon
Every year UK gets a game or two ripped from them. The spike ball, the LSU goal tend.

Let's hope this is the only one this year.
Still have to play UT at UT. That will be a screw job. And have to play a hot AU at Auburn. That will also be a screw job. So marking those as Ls were already at 5 losses.

I’m lowering my expectations greatly after today.
This team just does not have enough defensive presence to do anything.

You can see it better in real time, Taylor exaggerated his leg movement trying to pick up a foul. Some shooters like he and espcially Dillingham have a natural kickout movement to their legs during a shot. But in this instance, its more than natural movement in which he purposefully extended even further. Not alot but definitely intentional.
That call showed Jay bilas’ bias blatantly. He was whining that it shouldn’t have been offensive…..but literally 10 minutes before that he was arguing that Dilly should have been called for an offensive foul on the exact same type of play except Dilly’s was less of an intentional kick and just his natural hip rotation and leg flare he has when he shoots off the dribble…it wasn’t exaggerated.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
I don’t understand that rule. It’s obviously bullshit. Stop the play (where we have an easy lay up or dunk) and give us two for goaltending call. Ok. But to go back and take those two points away minutes later; that is really garbage and should never be allowed to happen.
Rule needs changed. Ball is dead. Go look. If not----give the ball back to UK.

Or Burks and Edwards don’t miss bunny shots in First half

Count me unimpressed with Bradshaw. Another beanpole who won’t stick around long enough to really contribute. But will tear it up in the NBA with the spacing there.
Once he fills out his frame, he'll be really good.

Don't forget, he missed a ton of time due to injury. If he had the entire off-season, he's probably a lot further along.

I think continuing to sit him late in the game was probably the right move. We couldn't stay in front of anyone, and Ugonna was saving a lot of things as a shot blocker. Bringing Bradshaw back into that rock fight of a game cold probably isn't the best move.

All of that said, Ugonna really hurt the spacing. We had a harder time getting buckets down the stretch and in overtime. Some of that is also Cal playing goofy lineups. You look up at one point under 5 minutes and we don't have DJ or Reeves on the floor. Either way, Ugonna block some shots, but Ugonna have worse spacing.

And I know, people are going to rush in and say "our offense isn't the problem." Our offense is great. It could be better. We had mistakes and stretches of inefficiency. We needed 1 more stop or 1 more bucket in overtime. It's fine to win either way. We definitely have to clean the defense up.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunninRichie
To the OP's point:

A LOT went wrong. We had the ball with a chance to take the last shot. In a hostile road game vs a desparate team.

Some people are acting like "this is a total system's failure, how could we lose this game?!" But a lot of people went into this realizing it was going to be a difficult game to win.

"Derrr, how does Cal lose to a 9-6 team?" They're a good basketball team. They're top 50 in the Kenpom and NET Rankings. They were pre-season top 25 for a reason. They are the same level of talent they have always been. The results just haven't gone their way. This would have been a GREAT win. It's not a bad loss.

I don’t understand that rule. It’s obviously bullshit. Stop the play (where we have an easy lay up or dunk) and give us two for goaltending call. Ok. But to go back and take those two points away minutes later; that is really garbage and should never be allowed to happen.
Blue i know you’re critical of Cal and I disagree with some of the things you say, but I ABSOLUTELY 100% agree with you on this. I’ve never seen that happen before as long as I can remember. Yeah, players are gonna make mistakes and defense lapses are going to happen. They are human. It happens, but those refs 1000% affected the score of the game with that call. Unacceptable and needs to be investigated.

I kinda felt like it was a bad pass from rob, maybe I’m wrong, either way a very costly mistake. Also right after that a&m should have been called for a walk instead of getting bailed out with a foul
Watch the play again. Pass was fine. Wagner took his eye off the ball for a second and that caused the fumble. Looked like DJ was looking to see where to go with the ball. It happens.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
Watch the play again. Pass was fine. Wagner took his eye off the ball for a second and that caused the fumble. Looked like DJ was looking to see where to go with the ball. It happens.
Just like the wide receiver who is looking at the field ahead of him before he secured the football. Exactly what happened. Pass may have had some heat on it, but was def not too hard to handle. DJ just took his eye off it for a split second.

Blue i know you’re critical of Cal and I disagree with some of the things you say, but I ABSOLUTELY 100% agree with you on this. I’ve never seen that happen before as long as I can remember. Yeah, players are gonna make mistakes and defense lapses are going to happen. They are human. It happens, but those refs 1000% affected the score of the game with that call. Unacceptable and needs to be investigated.
I’m not overly critical of Cal. I still support him and I know he’s a great coach. He makes some stupid decisions sometimes though that deserve to be called out. And he can be an ass. I want him on the bench though. At least right now.

We lost because we can't play defense. We scored 89 points in regulation. A&M penetrated the paint and scored at will the entire game.

Last edited:
We lost because we can't play defense. We scored over 90 points.. A&M penetrated the paint and scored at will the entire game.
Yes. I get it. But still could have won the game, on the road, hostile atmosphere. Should have still won the game. Drives me bananas.

Reactions: cal=8
Lot of things went wrong. Mitchell had his worst game as a wildcat, no Adou, Bradshaw a non-factor, Edwards an Shep just ok and Dilly was a negative until those last few mins. Only Reeves, Wagner and Ugo played well and none of them performed over their norms (or at least not much). With all that, it took them OT to win when their 2 best players were well over their norms. It was ours for the taking, we just couldn't quite get there. Thought the key was when it was 65-61 and we went 4 trips with no score. Couple of buckets there and I think we win comfortably.

Yes. I get it. But still could have won the game, on the road, hostile atmosphere. Should have still won the game. Drives me bananas.
Very frustrating. Last nights game and at Fl (with the exception of the end) were very hard to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT