ADVERTISEMENT

Do we WANT everybody to return?

Mar 30, 2024
First time long time as they say. I’ve read a lot about how we need guys like DJ, Bradshaw and Edwards to come back next year, but could we be better by subtraction in some of these instances? If Cal had to start DJ and Edwards this year, wouldn’t he feel forced to play them again next year regardless of how they play? They could make a big jump from year one to two, but I personally don’t know how much upside either has. DJ will likely not learn how to shoot over the summer, and Edwards won’t become athletic or learn how to dribble during the offseason.

I’m not saying I’ll be mad if they return, they seem like great kids, but we may be better off if they put their names in the draft or portal. I don’t feel dogmatic about being better without them, but it’s how I’m leaning right now.

To be honest, if Cal just played his best players, I’d welcome back everybody with welcome arms, but DJ and Edwards would be guaranteed starters next year, and I see them more as depth pieces.

Last edited:
Idk why anyone wouldn't want Edwards back.

If Reed comes back then DJ coming back makes 0 sense. If no Reed then perhaps he might be a welcomed returner.

Bradshaw is not coming back so not even addressing him.

If Reed comes back then DJ coming back makes 0 sense. If no Reed then perhaps he might be a welcomed returner.

There's ample PT for both. As of now, our backcourt is Perry and Fland. We may also have Hart who never played. UK and Sheppard would likely both start and get a lot of PT. Fland and Perry can back them up.

I don’t think you can realistically say you want to be older and have mature players and then turn your nose up at guys who didn’t perform like All-Americans or All-Conference players. The point is for them to improve over their tenure. Silly question IMO.

Just tired of the Klutch guys, I guess. Wish we wouldn't recruit any of the recruits represented by that garbage.

I want everyone back who wants to be here.

Except the coach who didn't tell Player X not to do Action Y enough. Whatever the coach told him sounded to Player X like "Do Action Y more."

I don’t think you can realistically say you want to be older and have mature players and then turn your nose up at guys who didn’t perform like All-Americans or All-Conference players. The point is for them to improve over their tenure. Silly question IMO.
There are other ways to get older such as the portal. I think my main concern is how Cal distributes minutes to certain players. I’m all for depth, but if he guarantees playing time to kids that don’t deserve it, that can be a problem.

No on Wagner - Bradshaw - Olensyo
Yes - Sheppard- Z - Thiero - Edwards - Burks
I agree with this for the most part. But I actually would really like to DJ come back and play the 2G next to Reed at the 1G (no chance Reed comes back, but still). I think before he got injured DJ showed a lot of promise and I do he could improve and be a good player. It’s really the coach that’s enabled his attempts at hero ball that is the problem

I would love to have BOTH Edwards and Wagner to return. With Sheppard, Wagner, and Edwards IF they all returned, that would be a very nice start to a solid, more experienced team. Edwards showed signs, Wagner did to (also played hurt a lot of the year). Anyone not wanting those 3 as a nucleus is not truly a fan. BOTH Edwards and Wagner will improve leaps and bounds with an extra year of maturity / time in the gym. Hell Sheppard would benefit from the extra time, especially the maturity part of it.
Bradshaw ? I love the kids attitude, but give me the Omoruyi kid from Rutgers at the 5. IF we was to get him, we have a really nice start.
PG - Sheppard (sophomore)
2G - Wagner (sophomore)
PF - Edwards (sophomore)
C- Omoruyi (5th year SR.)
Wagner and Sheppard could share PG duties, not just have one as full time. With those 4 and the kids we have coming in, land a stud wing and another sharpshooter from the portal and it has the makings of a very solid team. Notice anything about the POSSIBLE lineup ? ZERO freshmen starting. I know Quaintance or Fland would not be happy, but for the better of the TEAM, this would be the way to go. They could both get major minutes with Fland at the 1/2 and Quaintance at the 4/5. Let the stud freshmen come along at a normal pace, not thrown to the wolves. I know it is a pipe dream, but it was the thread topic.
You could have Richmond and Knox rotate t the 3. Knox has shown he is a capable and getting better shooter, Richmond is a slashing, bully attacking the rim.

No on Wagner - Bradshaw - Olensyo
Yes - Sheppard- Z - Thiero - Edwards - Burks
I definitely don’t want Theiro back. Once you enter your name in portal; so long have a nice life.

When Ugo went to the portal last year, they should not welcomed him back.

If they are putting their name in the draft to be evaluated then I understand that. But this transferring to see what interest there is out there doesn’t work for me.

Reactions: mailman85
I definitely don’t want Theiro back. Once you enter your name in portal; so long have a nice life.

When Ugo went to the portal last year, they should not welcomed him back.

If they are putting their name in the draft to be evaluated then I understand that. But this transferring to see what interest there is out there doesn’t work for me.
All about $$$ these days, no loyalty

Reactions: sefleming
First time long time as they say. I’ve read a lot about how we need guys like DJ, Bradshaw and Edwards to come back next year, but could we be better by subtraction in some of these instances? If Cal had to start DJ and Edwards this year, wouldn’t he feel forced to play them again next year regardless of how they play? They could make a big jump from year one to two, but I personally don’t know how much upside either has. DJ will likely not learn how to shoot over the summer, and Edwards won’t become athletic or learn how to dribble during the offseason.

I’m not saying I’ll be mad if they return, they seem like great kids, but we may be better off if they put their names in the draft or portal. I don’t feel dogmatic about being better without them, but it’s how I’m leaning right now. What say you?

Of course we want all of our eligible players to return. Duh. But many probably won't.

Cal wants more experience and more physicality. The quickest way to achieve that is for your players to return and mature in the system. Then you supplement with a few key portal additions. I am not saying Cal can pull it off. We have plenty of reasons to be skeptical. But whoever the coach is, you want your players back unless they have done something to disrupt the program.

In that vein, a word about Thiero. Cal wants physical, experienced players. This describes Thiero. Thiero's papa played for Cal in Memphis. Cal gave this kid a break by offering a Kentucky scholarship when the kid was a nobody prospect in Pittsburgh. Kentucky scholarships don't grow on trees. The kid has developed into a very good player and I believe he started 19 games this season. Good teammate. He would be a starter and an NBA draft prospect next season. Now he enters the portal ASAP? Right when Cal really needs him. Wow! This is a gut punch and a public vote of no confidence in this coaching staff. It can't be interpreted any other way. Very deflating.

• Love
Reactions: tug1543
I would love to have BOTH Edwards and Wagner to return. With Sheppard, Wagner, and Edwards IF they all returned, that would be a very nice start to a solid, more experienced team. Edwards showed signs, Wagner did to (also played hurt a lot of the year). Anyone not wanting those 3 as a nucleus is not truly a fan. BOTH Edwards and Wagner will improve leaps and bounds with an extra year of maturity / time in the gym. Hell Sheppard would benefit from the extra time, especially the maturity part of it.
Bradshaw ? I love the kids attitude, but give me the Omoruyi kid from Rutgers at the 5. IF we was to get him, we have a really nice start.
PG - Sheppard (sophomore)
2G - Wagner (sophomore)
PF - Edwards (sophomore)
C- Omoruyi (5th year SR.)
Wagner and Sheppard could share PG duties, not just have one as full time. With those 4 and the kids we have coming in, land a stud wing and another sharpshooter from the portal and it has the makings of a very solid team. Notice anything about the POSSIBLE lineup ? ZERO freshmen starting. I know Quaintance or Fland would not be happy, but for the better of the TEAM, this would be the way to go. They could both get major minutes with Fland at the 1/2 and Quaintance at the 4/5. Let the stud freshmen come along at a normal pace, not thrown to the wolves. I know it is a pipe dream, but it was the thread topic.
You could have Richmond and Knox rotate t the 3. Knox has shown he is a capable and getting better shooter, Richmond is a slashing, bully attacking the rim.
According to you, if someone doesn’t want Sheppard, DJ and Bradshaw as the “nucleus” of the team next year, they are not even a fan? Might want to lay off the bourbon this early in the morning.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
Ideally yes.

That's kind of the whole point of all the contention.

Stability, experience, development.

Things you don't have with constant turnover and freshman. Things you get as those freshmen return, get better, develop with one another.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
Of course we want all of our eligible players to return. Duh. But many probably won't.
It’s not as “duh” as you make it sound. You’re missing an element. Normally I would agree that I want everybody back even if it’s just for depth, but Cal doesn’t play his best players. He will play certain guys regardless of their performance while better, more talented players sit the bench. Now let me ask a different question, do we want DJ and Edwards starting each game next year?

Reactions: 1war
Ideally yes.

That's kind of the whole point of all the contention.

Stability, experience, development.

Things you don't have with constant turnover and freshman. Things you get as those freshmen return, get better, develop with one another.
See my reply above.

Yep, cows not gonna change and adapt. Full apathy has set in. Im just not going to get excited when we have a coach that only cares about getting players into the nba.

Why does Cal profess to care most about getting players to the NBA? That's easy. Think about it. What does Cal still do well? He gets players to the NBA. Narcissistic people like Cal boast about what they can accomplish. They don't call attention to their shortcomings. It would be pretty silly for Cal to boast about winning the SEC or being an FF threat, wouldn't it?

No, because Cal can't manage their minutes.
I kinda wish half our 24 class would back out.
Couple centers leave.
Find a replacement for TreMitchell at power forward.

I want them all back and don't have problem if they decide to leave, but when need to set a deadline, for the players who are staying. We need to be in the portal on day 1 and knowing what holes we have, in our roster.

I know it's not happening, but I'd be elated if we got any of Sheppard, Dilly, Edwards, Thiero, or Z back.

On a smaller scale, I wouldn't mind getting a second year from Wagner.

According to you, if someone doesn’t want Sheppard, DJ and Bradshaw as the “nucleus” of the team next year, they are not even a fan? Might want to lay off the bourbon this early in the morning.
Looks like YOU need to lay off the bourbon. I clearly stated Sheppard, Wagner, and EDWARDS. I also clearly stated that I would rather have Omoruyi INSTEAD of Bradshaw. Reading comprehension is very good trait to have, especially if you are going to call out someone's post. Are YOU saying you would not like to have Sheppard, Wagner, and Edwards back for a second year ? If not, WHY? I would love to read your reasoning.

I welcome any returnees. I welcome any returnee over a majority of incoming freshmen.

I am old enough to remember when everyone but the seniors and exceptionally talented juniors came back. There’s usually a positive jump in development every year. A sophomore top 10 recruit is likely to outperform a freshman top 10 recruit.

I don’t think anyone from this team was a bad enough player or bad enough teammate to not be welcomed back.

That said, I expect no one to come back because it’s what Cal does.

I welcome any returnees. I welcome any returnee over a majority of incoming freshmen.

I am old enough to remember when everyone but the seniors and exceptionally talented juniors came back. There’s usually a positive jump in development every year. A sophomore top 10 recruit is likely to outperform a freshman top 10 recruit.

I don’t think anyone from this team was a bad enough player or bad enough teammate to not be welcomed back.

That said, I expect no one to come back because it’s what Cal does.
Even if he wanted to change and focus on retention he’s opened Pandora’s box, and it can’t be undone. The expectation of recruits coming here, even before they speak with the staff or are actively recruited is to get in and get out so you’re not recruited over. The expectation is if it didn’t work for you after a year, you xfer so you’re not recruited over.

The type of recruit we attract and would lead for is inextricably linked to the above mindset. I fear it will be a pervasive thing for at least some time after Cal leaves.

I don't want Wagner back, at all. He's a 6-3 tweener who does nothing well and can't shoot to save his life. He's ok driving the ball but what does it matter if he only makes 3% of his layups? And he has to be a terrible teammate if he was so fragile to have to stay in the starting lineup or he was gonna pout his way back to NJ, when it was clear we had better options. That kinda crap messes with a team's chemistry.

I’m not saying I’ll be mad if they return, they seem like great kids, but we may be better off if they put their names in the draft or portal. I don’t feel dogmatic about being better without them, but it’s how I’m leaning right now.

To be honest, if Cal just played his best players, I’d welcome back everybody with welcome arms, but DJ and Edwards would be guaranteed starters next year, and I see them more as depth pieces.
If I could choose between having this entire roster back (minus the graduates, and realistically Dilly) vs a whole new roster of freshman and transfers, I would absolutely choose these guys returning. Plus a couple additions to fill the holes of the departures of course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT