ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Wagner visiting Arkansas this weekend

Arkansas is going to be good. Like competing for the SEC title good. I've thought this from the moment Cal left and continue to believe it.

It is going to be a tough pill for some to swallow.
Do they have the shooters? Who’s gonna be the Antonio Reeves, Reed Sheppard or Rob Dillingham? You can out-athlete everybody but if you can’t put the ball in the hole consistently, you won’t go very deep in the tourney.

There’s still one thing stopping Arkansas from being one of those teams no matter who they end up with. Calipari. He is not a modern basketball mind and he won’t listen to any assistant that he brings in so it won’t matter. And he is always at a disadvantage when it comes to in game coaching.

Cal thumper
Not sure what this is. Do I like Cal? Yep. Do I think Arkansas will be good? Yep. Do I want UK to destroy them? yep.

The binary thinking that you have to hate Cal to love UK or think Arkansas will suck to love UK is tired and intellectually lazy.

I love UK. I have been on this board since before Cal (2006). I'm fine with Cal. I think Arkansas will be good. I hope we are better.

But yeah, try to reduce to "him like Cal, him Cal thumper"

Arkansas is going to be good. Like competing for the SEC title good. I've thought this from the moment Cal left and continue to believe it.

I agree Cal will put a skilled product on the floor. They will not compete with Bama for the '24-'25 SEC title though and in the end will not even try to compete for the conference tourney title in NashVegas (we know how Cal feels about that tournament despite how well the fans travel to see it). That said, I think in 2-3 years he will have them competing for the SEC crown. However, we very well could be right there with them in 2-3 years too.

Going to be fun as a rising tide lifts all boats!

Folks need to pump the brakes on anointing anything associated with Cal in the preseason. Last season, he took a roster second to no one on the perimeter and completely destroyed that team with his petty BS. How do you lose to Oakland in the first round with Reed Sheppard, Rob Dillingham, and Antonio Reeves available to bust their zone? Cal found a way to do it.

Folks need to pump the brakes on anointing anything associated with Cal in the preseason. Last season, he took a roster second to no one on the perimeter and completely destroyed that team with his petty BS. How do you lose to Oakland in the first round with Reed Sheppard, Rob Dillingham, and Antonio Reeves available to bust their zone? Cal found a way to do it.
Calipari U 101: Head Scratching Losses to Inferior Opponents (may be repeated for credit infinitely)

Reactions: NociHTTP
Good luck to DJ. Kid didn’t do anything to deserve all the hate he got from fans here. I think he would best suited moving away from Cal but still good luck.

DJ is a hard nosed and competitive kid. However at this point, it really doesn’t matter if he stays with Cal or goes elsewhere. He’s a 6’3” guard who can’t shoot. There’s just no market for that in todays game. Isiah Briscoe had a more complete game than Wagner has, and he’s still playing in Europe. Why? He can’t shoot.

They're running back a 23-10 team without it's three best players...

The team cited finished the regular season ranked 9th with two more losses than the highest ranked power five team.

The revisionist history of a few months ago is hilarious.

Not sure what this is. Do I like Cal? Yep. Do I think Arkansas will be good? Yep. Do I want UK to destroy them? yep.

The binary thinking that you have to hate Cal to love UK or think Arkansas will suck to love UK is tired and intellectually lazy.

I love UK. I have been on this board since before Cal (2006). I'm fine with Cal. I think Arkansas will be good. I hope we are better.

But yeah, try to reduce to "him like Cal, him Cal thumper"

The people that reply to anyone being factually honest are the ones that rely on college kids winning a game to dictate their happiness.

Lmao. Second to none?

Sheppard was a four star recruit. Yet somehow he was mismanaged and will end up a top half of round one draft pick. Maybe top third. Couldn’t play defense to save his life and was amazing at making very inopportune boneheaded turnovers or silly shots. But all that was forgotten because of one game where he did great at the end- but still ALMOST screwed it up with a turnover and a three point foul.

Reeves was a midmajor transfer coming off a tournament game where he was atrocious. Maybe will get drafted but will never see significant NBA run..
dilly was a 15-20 ranked recruit who was very spurty, except for consistently being in foul trouble and being lost on defense.

Same guy(Reed) is also the reason we lost to Oakland. Dude literally airmailed passes to the third row, couldn’t stick with a future insurance salesman, and couldn’t hit open water from a boat in the Atlantic. Oh, also didn’t grab a single rebound. Aaron freakin Bradshaw contributed as much in four minutes without the negatives.

The Bennie’s think hitting three pointers is all basketball is today. Reed Sheppard lost to Oakland- if he’s even average that game we win. He played almost 30 minutes and did NOTHING. But but he didn’t start, he and Jeff hate Cal, he was misused. He loves UK… adou and Z hate him too and were misused …. Reed has said nothing but glowing things about cal along with Jeff, and adou and Z followed Cal to Fayetteville.

It’s all a bunch of MOEs who couldn’t dissect a basketball scheme to save their lives.

I think they’re going to be really good to. DJ is going to be a lot better next season than he was as a freshman and whoever gets him will be a good addition. We’re going to have a great season to I think.

Reactions: UKgal82 and thedahc
The team cited finished the regular season ranked 9th with two more losses than the highest ranked power five team.

The revisionist history of a few months ago is hilarious.

The people that reply to anyone being factually honest are the ones that rely on college kids winning a game to dictate their happiness.

Lmao. Second to none?

Sheppard was a four star recruit. Yet somehow he was mismanaged and will end up a top half of round one draft pick. Maybe top third. Couldn’t play defense to save his life and was amazing at making very inopportune boneheaded turnovers or silly shots. But all that was forgotten because of one game where he did great at the end- but still ALMOST screwed it up with a turnover and a three point foul.

Reeves was a midmajor transfer coming off a tournament game where he was atrocious. Maybe will get drafted but will never see significant NBA run..
dilly was a 15-20 ranked recruit who was very spurty, except for consistently being in foul trouble and being lost on defense.

Same guy(Reed) is also the reason we lost to Oakland. Dude literally airmailed passes to the third row, couldn’t stick with a future insurance salesman, and couldn’t hit open water from a boat in the Atlantic. Oh, also didn’t grab a single rebound. Aaron freakin Bradshaw contributed as much in four minutes without the negatives.

The Bennie’s think hitting three pointers is all basketball is today. Reed Sheppard lost to Oakland- if he’s even average that game we win. He played almost 30 minutes and did NOTHING. But but he didn’t start, he and Jeff hate Cal, he was misused. He loves UK… adou and Z hate him too and were misused …. Reed has said nothing but glowing things about cal along with Jeff, and adou and Z followed Cal to Fayetteville.

It’s all a bunch of MOEs who couldn’t dissect a basketball scheme to save their lives.
We found Cal’s burner account

Why does this surprise anyone?
Here is a player who started every game for a coach who everyone knew was not the best player at that position but yet the coach started, played the kid even though it was hurting the team.

Go somewhere else and he could possibly be held accountable for his play or stick with what works?
DJ is a good player just not a superstar he was made out to be.
Playing him endlessly will not change that.

DJ is a hard nosed and competitive kid. However at this point, it really doesn’t matter if he stays with Cal or goes elsewhere. He’s a 6’3” guard who can’t shoot. There’s just no market for that in todays game. Isiah Briscoe had a more complete game than Wagner has, and he’s still playing in Europe. Why? He can’t shoot.
Dj can improve a jump shot it just probably wont be with Cal. Kids improve their shooting all the time and DJ doesn’t have a busted shooting motion like Briscoe did.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Davis, Aidoo, Fland, Knox count as “running it back?

You replaced two lottery picks and a third-team all-American, who also happened to be the best 3pt shooting trio in Kentucky history, with the abovementioned guys.

Aidoo is way better than Onyenso, I’ll give you that. I’ll even go so far as to say Reeves/Davis is a wash. But Fland and Knox aren’t in the same universe as Sheppard and Dillingham. Knox isn’t even as good as Justin Edwards.

At the end of the day though, you still have too many guys who can’t shoot (Richmond, Knox, Thiero, Wagner if he comes) and the one dude who can shoot (Z), Cal will have clogging the paint instead of stretching the floor. Your team won’t know how to attack a zone because they will never face it in practice. They also won’t know how to play zone (or anything other than matador D, tbh)

Lmao. Second to none?

I edited out the gaslighting/bullshit from your post and stand by my statement. Under virtually any other half way decent coach, the trio of Sheppard, Dillingham, and Reeves was as good any any backcourt in the country.

Cal's master plan in the Oakland game was to feed the post. There is no explanation for his game plan whatsoever that makes sense other than "University of Calipari."

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT