ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Wagner ?? Others like him?

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
Are we making a play for him or anyone like him? I feel like under a coach like pope he would improve his shooting and become twice the player. He would be a good fit as we need some guys that can beat their man off the dribble and get to the rack. Feel like we need more players both guard or wing that can drive it or create their own shot. That’s what we need to be a top 10 team. All the pieces are in place to be solid.

Cal leaving UK was bad for DJ. Cal gave him every opportunity to show he was not as good as his rankings. Then Cal moves and has an opportunity to get away from DJ and not make it look like DJ is his failure, while other schools are not likely interested in giving him the same opportunity he had this past season. He probably needs to go somewhere with the mindset that he is going to be there a while.

Can't debate that D.J. was a big disappointment based upon his ratings and the favoritism unfairly provided by Cal. However, the idea that he or anyone doesn't improve from season to season is silly. Plus, I don't think he was coached to his strengths and Cal just says make a play.

Are we making a play for him or anyone like him? I feel like under a coach like pope he would improve his shooting and become twice the player. He would be a good fit as we need some guys that can beat their man off the dribble and get to the rack. Feel like we need more players both guard or wing that can drive it or create their own shot. That’s what we need to be a top 10 team. All the pieces are in place to be solid.

Interesting. Would be a great story for Pope if he could get DJ to the league. I personally don’t know that I want him to be here anymore but if it worked it would be pretty cool.

Wouldn't bother me.

I agree. That's the type we are missing. Would love to see DJ come back but I wouldn't call it likely. There are others but he's at or near the top of that type of guy.

Wagner is a Seventh Woods level bust. He was physically advanced for his age until he wasn’t and never developed basketball skills
Pretty ridiculous and uncalled for (I mean seriously, it's not even a close comparison, it's pure hater shit). Lot of you have lost your damn minds and think because you hate Cal it's ok to shit talk our players. Earning BBN our bad reputation.

Interesting. Would be a great story for Pope if he could get DJ to the league. I personally don’t know that I want him to be here anymore but if it worked it would be pretty cool.
Agree but I would absolutely TAKE…. DJ…..

Nothing against DJ…… everything against how we have ran things the last few years.

DJ IS CRAZY TALENTED WITH PLENTY UPSIDE.
I personally wish him the best.

He was really good at getting to the rim and finishing. The rest of his game needs some polishing. I would love to see him in Blue but you don’t need to spend a lot of NIL $$$ on him. I think he may eventually wide up at Ark but not getting the money he thinks he is worth and probably is a role player

At one point in the season I would’ve been glad to see a sophomore DJ at UK. Now I’m glad I’ll never have to see him in a KY uniform again.

Reactions: KFuqua
Would love to see him back with us. I feel like he had an off year for his talent level and could be very good as a point guard in this offense. I wish he would stay with us but feel like that's not an option (not based on facts, just what seems to be true). I wonder if Pope has tried to get him to stay. Does anyone know?

Reactions: westerncat
Pretty ridiculous and uncalled for (I mean seriously, it's not even a close comparison, it's pure hater shit). Lot of you have lost your damn minds and think because you hate Cal it's ok to shit talk our players. Earning BBN our bad reputation.

Our fanbase has a fairly large embarrassing portion of it. Sad but true.

Take DJ back in a heartbeat. He dealt with some injuries and some learning curves. Going from high school to SEC play that’s expected. Dude is talented. I for one hope Pope tries to get him to return for year 2.

Doubt it happens tho. West coast seems inevitable. Wish him the best either way.

DJ would be horrible in Pope's offense. There are not ball dominate guards. The ball moves all the time. If DJ is here then we will have team issues. DJ needs to be elsewhere. Hope it is Southern Cal for him.

Reactions: 4849515878969812...
Wagner is a Seventh Woods level bust. He was physically advanced for his age until he wasn’t and never developed basketball skills
He’s only a bust compared to the expectations and the opportunities Cal gave him. Had he came in with the expectation of developing as a two or three year guy, we would be excited to get him back. That wasn’t the case, however, and I suspect Cal is almost trying to hide from him now due to the perception.

Hell no!!! Kerr is head and shoulders better and Butler is too.

Of course. We can certainly say a fifth year senior will of course be better than a second year player that was MUCH more talented than him coming out of high school. Let’s not forget he was hurt for a period of time.

I like Kerr. But you’re a fool if you don’t want DJ to come back. More the likely won’t happen but I would welcome it.

Hypothetically if DJ was in his 5th year, do you think he puts up better numbers than Kerr?

He was really good at getting to the rim and finishing. The rest of his game needs some polishing. I would love to see him in Blue but you don’t need to spend a lot of NIL $$$ on him. I think he may eventually wide up at Ark but not getting the money he thinks he is worth and probably is a role player
Finishing? DJ missed more layups than the rest of the team combined.

I like DJ's effort, but I don't think a 29% 3-point shooter would necessarily thrive in a 5 out offense. Maybe I'm wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT