ADVERTISEMENT

Patience will be Key

Stan the caddy

Blue Chip Prospect
Apr 14, 2023
I THINK Pope can succeed here. But next year is gonna be a shit show that would make the Billy G years looks like a rousing success. We need to be willing to throw a year away and see what happens.

• Haha
Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
I’m not sure it’s a throw away year. I do think we could be a fringe NCAA team unless somehow Reed and a couple of the remaining guys come back. But I’m actually good with that if we can get some multi-year players in here and get the system installed. When Cal was coming back I wasn’t expecting much more with no end in sight.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
It could be but it’s too early to give up on the year before it even starts and before we have a roster. Let’s get some guys and go play the games

I THINK Pope can succeed here. But next year is gonna be a shit show that would make the Billy G years looks like a rousing success. We need to be willing to throw a year away and see what happens.
Nope, that is completely unacceptable. I am as big a Pope fan as there is right now, but with the portal and UKs NIL package, there is not one reason UK shouldn't be top 20 preseason next yr...no excuses at all.

I’m not sure it’s a throw away year. I do think we could be a fringe NCAA team unless somehow Reed and a couple of the remaining guys come back. But I’m actually good with that if we can get some multi-year players in here and get the system installed. When Cal was coming back I wasn’t expecting much more with no end in sight.
True. We pretty much knew we were starting from scratch every year

I think we need to just wait and see .
I hope there's enough hands on deck to keep the stalls clean.

Not ready to write off next year, but also not going to scream like a spoiled toddler if things aren't what I'd hoped. The last half decade has conditioned me to accept disappointment. There are better times ahead. If you want to jump off the bandwagon, do it now.

Fortunately, this fanbase is very well known for its patience.
Yes we are, people acting like the world is ending because CAL’s recruits and his players are all leaving. The only kids I figured we had a chance with are Reed and Travis. Everyone else is gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: MegaBlue05
I am gonna wait to see what Mark comes up with out of the portal. Kenny Brooks is building a much better UK women's team over this past year. He will win some games. If its good for the Goose, its good for the Gander.

If he comes up short in the portal then we can start to panic. There are tons of legit guys in there now. Plus I think he has a player or 3 up his sleeve. GO BIG BLUE!!! GO MARK POPE!!!

Reactions: TOMCATS1990

I still think next year we have a chance at being competitive but anyone with a brain knew the year after Cal was going to be rough for the roster. This is the toll of Cal selling himself and the NBA at the expense of UK

Reactions: Stan the caddy
Based on no roster, I'll optimistically guess we cobble together a little better squad than last year's BYU talent wise.

We will have to see how the chemistry develops throughout the season but the SEC will be tougher than the Big 12 was and we get about 20 wins and a #9 seed.
We win but get overwhelmed by the #1 (probably UCONVICT for daring to try to poach their coach/TV).

Admittedly a little worry here about the fact that Z bailed so fast. If you described an offensive philosophy that fits Z’s game to a tee it would be that of Pope, Mark. I just wonder if he can convince enough serviceable bodies here for next year to be competitive.

Reactions: track42
I still think next year we have a chance at being competitive but anyone with a brain knew the year after Cal was going to be rough for the roster. This is the toll of Cal selling himself and the NBA at the expense of UK
We are just making our back payment for instantly having Boogie, Wall, Bledsoe, and company.

I think we got the better end of it. Square deal.

Admittedly a little worry here about the fact that Z bailed so fast. If you described an offensive philosophy that fits Z’s game to a tee it would be that of Pope, Mark. I just wonder if he can convince enough serviceable bodies here for next year to be competitive.
Z came from Russia to play for CAL, he wouldn’t stay to play for Hurley Oats or Drew either. I’m not worried as Pope will find his guys maybe later then sooner but he will. Next season will be his worst as he will build a winner and start hanging banners.

can we genuinely stop with these posts? we're getting essentially the same post in like 100 different threads. his press conference once again was YESTERDAY. Your basing our outcome for next year when NOTHING is in place yet, its foolish. and i don't even know why you bring up Billy G when Cals last few years have been terrible, and billy never won us only 9 games in a season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT