ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Wagner…

wfc7

Senior
Mar 24, 2007
I’m guessing he may be the first to announce a transfer to Arkansas.
However, if he doesn’t accounce by midweek, is there any chance he comes back to UK?

However, if he doesn’t accounce by midweek, is there any chance he comes back to UK?

that kid will probably just go somewhere else.

Just a gut feeling, I think it’s more likely DJ tries to go to the NBA, or staying at UK, or transferring to another school not named Arkansas. Maybe Rutgers. I don’t think he follows Cal.

I saw some Twitter buzz about DJ going to Louisville but they seem to be idiots chasing pipe dreams for the most part.

I honestly thought DJ would be one the first to transfer to Arkansas. Since he is a Cal guy, I find it VERY telling he's been silent.

Here are my thoughts...

I would love to have Wagner back if Reed is back. They already know each other and can help with that experience.

If Reed is not back, I think Wagner is gone.

I would also like to see what Fland does as he's more of a true PG and isn't "corrupted" by Cal's system or lack thereof. The way DJ acted and got "jealous" because he wasn't the guy, taking it to the rim a lot, that won't fly in Pope's system.

I'd be happy to have DJ back, but maybe the better case scenario is Reed and Fland?

In 2023,, DJ Wagner Jr. struck a major NIL deal valued at $561K annually. This groundbreaking contract placed him at the 15th spot in college basketball's NIL rankings. Wagner secured endorsements with Marathon, Lex Exotics, and WME Sports. This deal, a testament to his prowess, allows him to earn significant income while playing college hoops. With the DJ Wagner Jr. NIL Deal, he not only showcases his talent on the court but also establishes himself as a formidable brand, leveraging his name and skills for lucrative partnerships.

He’s not going to the nba but he’s waiting on his NIL chips to fall. If he leaves, he’s leaving a half mil on the table. Which he’s prolly happy to do if there’s a half mil somewhere else.

I would love to have him back. Great teammate who busted his butt every minute he was on the floor. According to Cal, DJ was even willing to go to the bench early in the season when he missed a few games and Reed started busting out. Cal said it was DJ's idea. It's not his fault Cal didn't take him up on it.

I think he would thrive with Pope simply because he's a hard worker with a natural tenacity about him. He needs to continue to improve in all areas, especially shooting, but he has the work ethic to be successful no matter where he ends up. I'll always be a fan.

It always seemed our freshman struggled and hit these weird lows throughout the years. I know freshman do that but it seemed exasperating watching it UK. Sometimes the detailed back to the basic coaches are better for the struggles. I’d love to get Reed and DJ back. Pope seems more apt to run plays that fit his players vs square peg in round hole until it works.

I honestly thought DJ would be one the first to transfer to Arkansas. Since he is a Cal guy, I find it VERY telling he's been silent.

Here are my thoughts...

I would love to have Wagner back if Reed is back. They already know each other and can help with that experience.

I would also like to see what Fland does as he's more of a true PG and isn't "corrupted" by Cal's system or lack thereof. The way DJ acted and got "jealous" because he wasn't the guy, taking it to the rim a lot, that won't fly in Pope's system.

I'd be happy to have DJ back, but maybe the better case scenario is Reed and Fland?
You know Cal has this all planned out and staggered. He’s seeing who all he can get and then say by day a new recruit will come in to show Arkansas who runs the program. Gets them hyped up.

Here are my thoughts...

Yeah Fland can shoot a little better, probably a better facilitator too.

Reactions: Farsight
I saw some Twitter buzz about DJ going to Louisville but they seem to be idiots chasing pipe dreams for the most part.
Honestly, wouldn’t be a bad spot for him to land. Won’t change the fact I don’t fear them at all either.

• Love
Reactions: chroix
You know Cal has this all planned out and staggered. He’s seeing who all he can get and then say by day a new recruit will come in to show Arkansas who runs the program. Gets them hyped up.
I agree. Cal is most certainly strategically planning the release of any transfers and signings to ensure Arkansas stays in the news. Yet, if DJ isn’t announced by Wednesday, I think UK may have a chance at keeping him, which I think is a huge positive, no matter if Fland stays or not.

Just a gut feeling, I think it’s more likely DJ tries to go to the NBA, or staying at UK, or transferring to another school not named Arkansas. Maybe Rutgers. I don’t think he follows Cal.
I don't think that he will follow Cal either. Playing under Calipari hurt his draft stock instead of improving/maintaining it. Why follow him to Fayetteville?

My guess is that Wagner hasn't hit the portal yet because he doesn't need to if he's going pro.

All I know is I never again want a player here that doesn’t play for the name on the front.
We may not be very good at first but we will get kids that wanna play here and will win banners.
Same here, friend, same here! I know Mark is feeling a tremendous amount of stress to try and live up to UK's expectations, but the fanbase above all wants teams that LOVE playing for UK, and making RUPP an intimidating place again!

IMO Wagner is not a team-first kind of guy, and Pope absolutely demands that from every guy he signs. You can not run an offense with sets if guys are looking to get theirs. What many kids don't understand is if you don't score as many points as you'd like, but you are able to learn multiple sets with different looks, then the NBA will want you anyway.

All I know is I never again want a player here that doesn’t play for the name on the front.
We may not be very good at first but we will get kids that wanna play here and will win banners
Nice thought, but………

Lost in the mix. I’m not sure he fits in here and Cal
has recruited over him seemingly going after Boogie. It will be interesting to see how his situation shakes out. Feels like a cautionary tale of Cal’s system once again at first glance.
Yes, that's exactly what it is, a cautionary tale. Cal was so sure DJ Wagner would be at least a first round pick that he recruited his replacement before the season even began. And yes, it has happened multiple times under Calipari. Guys who are supposed to be elite have below average to just average play and they end up needing to return, but they can't because Cal has already signed their replacement. So, it's either declare for the draft and take whatever you get or transfer elsewhere. They basically feel like failures having to transfer.

Last edited:
I enjoyed DJ first year at UK. His is young kid, with great left hand, plays hard and has a great heart.

I know how devastated he was after the loss in the NCAA tournament.

I think DJ had too much pressure on himself and Cal did not know how to defuse it. If he works on finishing with the right, 3 pts shooting and passing ability , I can see him being picked high on the draft next year.

He has some unfinished business at Kentucky.

I think he should find his own way and stay one more year under a different coach ( Coach Pope) will do him good. I know he grew up with Cal and is normal to appreciate Cal but now is time to leave Cal legacy, his dad legacy and make his own.
If goes with Cal at Arkansas , Cal will try to protect him again and will DJ more harm. I know DJ is a warrior at heart…time to be his own man!

It always seemed our freshman struggled and hit these weird lows throughout the years. I know freshman do that but it seemed exasperating watching it UK. Sometimes the detailed back to the basic coaches are better for the struggles. I’d love to get Reed and DJ back. Pope seems more apt to run plays that fit his players vs square peg in round hole until it works.
It seemed exasperating because they all leave before getting consistent and then year 3 in the nba they finally put it together and you say to yourself ..... "damn... imagine if he'd have stayed one more year or maybe 2"....

Reactions: Catzman
IMO Wagner is not a team-first kind of guy, and Pope absolutely demands that from every guy he signs. You can not run an offense with sets if guys are looking to get theirs. What many kids don't understand is if you don't score as many points as you'd like, but you are able to learn multiple sets with different looks, then the NBA will want you anyway.
I disagree. He was definitely a team first guy all year. That's a baseless statement.

I would love to have him back. Great teammate who busted his butt every minute he was on the floor. According to Cal, DJ was even willing to go to the bench early in the season when he missed a few games and Reed started busting out. Cal said it was DJ's idea. It's not his fault Cal didn't take him up on it.

I think he would thrive with Pope simply because he's a hard worker with a natural tenacity about him. He needs to continue to improve in all areas, especially shooting, but he has the work ethic to be successful no matter where he ends up. I'll always be a fan.
That just makes the Cal thing even worse . How are you going to lose a player mentally if he tells you coach I don’t mind going to the bench smh

Reactions: University-6
DJ could have a big soph year. Ultimately I think the pressure of watching his draft stock fall as Reeds and Robs was climbing was prob a tough position to be in. Add to the fact, he and everyone else knew Cal made a charity case out of him by starting him every game when others were playing better and it wasn’t even close.

It just all goes back to the culture Cal created at UK. Coming to UK with personal ambitions that take priority over team ambitions. I don’t blame DJ for struggling or wish any ill will upon him. This was Cals system and what he allowed to be acceptable.

I think sometimes Cal players get a bad wrap and DJ is one of them. I wasn’t a fan of the dichotomy that Calipari created between with regards to winning for the program and winning for the player brand, but a lot of those players wanted to win here for the state. I have no doubts in that. DJ fits that criteria.

However, I’m not sure his game translates to Pope’s offense. This is one that I would allow to transfer out. Fland’s game is more suited imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT