ADVERTISEMENT

DiVincenzo will test NBA waters, not hiring agent

YouKay

All-American
Gold Member
May 15, 2002
Doylestown, PA
Pretty big deal for Nova. Also, Eric Paschall and Phil Booth will return.

DiVincenzo is a redshirt sophomore/rising junior but is 21 years old.

Reactions: ukfan041
who all have entered the draft from Villanova and Kansas. Seems like both teams may take a big step back next year

really athletic , can shoot it . has good height , type of guy I could see a team taking a late 1st round early 2nd chance on . His potential is pretty high .

Wow at those two returning.

Consider this for a second
Paschall averaged 16 ppg as a freshman at Fordham, transfers to Nova, averages 10.6 ppg and 5.3 rpg on a championship team.
Booth averaged 10 ppg on the 2016 and 2018 national championship teams, scored 20 in the 2016 game off the bench.

Both are returning

Meanwhile here, a guard who averaged 10 ppg and a forward who averaged 6.8 ppg and 6 rpg on an 11-loss team gets you to declare for the draft.

Reactions: CatColumbia
So Bridges and Brunson are gone, DiV and Spellman declared without an agent?

Nova is lucky Arizona got caught by the FBI, otherwise they wouldn't have gotten Quinerly at PG.

History has shown that when a player has a breakout postseason, he should go to the NBA. Scouts and the media seem to be dazzled by the great tournament performances. Most of the times when kids return, scouts (and the media) pick their game apart.

Reactions: JC43
Makes a lot of sense for this kid to go. He’s firmly in the first round discussion. Have a hard time seeing him move up much further with another year.

Reactions: JC43
He was the most impressive SG prospect I seen in College ball last year. He does it all very good and you would have to think he is easily a 1st rounder.

21 years old and picked somewhere in that late 20's or 30's. Go.

You have to be really, really good as a 22 year old to be a lottery pick.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
21 years old and picked somewhere in that late 20's or 30's. Go.

You have to be really, really good as a 22 year old to be a lottery pick.

Yeah I think he goes. He is going to dazzle some people in workouts.

Nova could easily have 4 first round picks this year. More than Duke or UK.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
So does that mean Nova’s system is broken since he’s doing the same exact thing as PJ and Wenyen?
Huh? Did Wenyen or PJ put on a show in a national title game like Dante did? That guy was extremely hot all season long and especially when it counted. Wenyen and PJ aren't even in the same hemisphere as Dante.

Last edited:
who all have entered the draft from Villanova and Kansas. Seems like both teams may take a big step back next year

Nova:

Hired agent: Jalen Brunson and Mikal Bridges
Not hired agent: Omari Spellman and Donte DiVincenzo

Kansas:

Seniors: Devonte Graham, Svi Mikhailuk
Hired agent: Malik Newman, LaGerald Vick
Undecided: Udoka Azubuike

Reactions: cbrwalt
Being on a team that won two titles and if you're DiVincenzo, you just won the title, MOP and had 31 points. You can't top that. There's nothing else to accomplish unless you want a degree.

Reactions: GParmesan

Paschall averaged 16 ppg as a freshman at Fordham, transfers to Nova, averages 10.6 ppg and 5.3 rpg on a championship team.
Booth averaged 10 ppg on the 2016 and 2018 national championship teams, scored 20 in the 2016 game off the bench.

Both are returning

Meanwhile here, a guard who averaged 10 ppg and a forward who averaged 6.8 ppg and 6 rpg on an 11-loss team gets you to declare for the draft.
Dumb post. NBA is about potential. Get with the program.

Definately high second Rd, late first Rd pick. You gotta strike when the iron is hot, ala SGA.

Reactions: dezyDeco
I'd take him over Gabriel and Hami.

Not even up for debate...i would take Matthews over either of those as well....thats why i get frustrated....so many other players way better than Diallo or Gabriel out there

Yeah I think he goes. He is going to dazzle some people in workouts.

Nova could easily have 4 first round picks this year. More than Duke or UK.

Despite the belief of many, it takes really good players to win a national title.

Reactions: YouKay
So does that mean Nova’s system is broken since he’s doing the same exact thing as PJ and Wenyen?

Not even remotely the same. The Villanova kid is looking at being taken at the end of the first/beginning of the second round. The UK kids aren’t even on the draft boards. They’re leaving hoping that someone notices them.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
KU won't . Like UK there is a ton of talent coming in ( and KU has 3 transfers who sat out this year) . Nova , if they lose SPellman and Di then they won't be close to a top 10 team. If those 2 return they are a top 5 team or close to it . Too many times people pay attention what is lost but not what is gained. UK has lost alot but is replacing what they have lost ( not including Gabriel or PJ at this point ) isn't as much as the talent they have gained. Hagans, EJ and KJ are all elite one and done top 20 pick talents. Herro is a stud as is Quickley.

Both are returning

DiVencenzo averaged 13.4 ppg, 4.8 reb, 3.4 assists, 40% from 3. The kid is super athletic, 6'5" 205. After watching him in the tournament, he really looks like a first round player. Can't see him getting negative feedback in the evaluations - he's gone.

If he and Spellman stay in the draft, Nova will be decimated next year.

Will be interesting to see the stance on "the Nova way" if that happens.

Folks will say the title buys you a long pass, and to a reasonable mind, that's true.

But the last few weeks have been people extolling the virtues of how stable that method is and how you don't have lots of turnover or deal with freshmen growing pains. What happens when guys leave and you aren't recruiting immediate impact players?

DiVencenzo averaged 13.4 ppg, 4.8 reb, 3.4 assists, 40% from 3. The kid is super athletic, 6'5" 205. After watching him in the tournament, he really looks like a first round player. Can't see him getting negative feedback in the evaluations - he's gone.

Yeah, he's pretty amazing. To be clear, in my post, I was referring to Diallo/Gabriel.

But I'd be gone if I were DiVincenzo. His stock will never be as high as it is right now. He and his team got everything you could get at the college level. Watch some contender snatch him up late in the first round.

Yeah, I think he's gone.

Like someone said. He has all those assets that can contribute right away in NBA team.

And he's bound to go in area where teams are in playoff push. Extra pieces here and there is all they are looking for.

He's an excellent defensive player too. I really don't know of any knocks on this kid, what are his weaknesses?

I'm no scout, but he sure looks like a first rounder to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatColumbia
History has shown that when a player has a breakout postseason, he should go to the NBA. Scouts and the media seem to be dazzled by the great tournament performances. Most of the times when kids return, scouts (and the media) pick their game apart.

So are players trying to fool the NBA and get one contract or do they actually want to have an NBA career?

So are players trying to fool the NBA and get one contract or do they actually want to have an NBA career?
Honestly there is some of both,if we take off the blue tinted glasses Diallo tried to do just that.Don't blame him at all.It is like buying a power ball ticket you might hit it and just like going to Duke you are set for life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT