ADVERTISEMENT

Disrespect.

Most of these guys did not play for winning teams previously. Butler is kind of the exception as he did play for a NC. The rest are mostly solid veteran type players that weren't even the primary options on their previous teams. Some of them weren't even starters. Add that to the fact all but 1 of them are playing for Pope for the first time, and all of them are playing at UK for the first time.

That's a lot to overcome in a few months. I would advise everyone to enter this season without many expectations and just enjoy the change in coaching. It's likely going to take Pope a couple of seasons to really build us back up.

My bottom line expectation for next year is win one NCAA tournament game. Pope needs that off his back. We’ve also had a rough go of it lately so we need it as well. I’d like to say two wins but that’s probably a bit much for this group.

Fail to win a tournament game and we did not meet expectations, IMO.

Years ago I’d get jazzed about Cal’s teams w the talent riches. But I learned my lesson so in recent years I’d wait until late season to decide if I should get excited for a tourney run. I’m taking the same approach this year to see what we have w Pope and what seems to be a pretty good veteran talent mix.

My bottom line expectation for next year is win one NCAA tournament game. Pope needs that off his back. We’ve also had a rough go of it lately so we need it as well. I’d like to say two wins but that’s probably a bit much for this group.

Fail to win a tournament game and we did not meet expectations, IMO.
With expectations so low why even play. If you ask Pope thT he will say number 9 or bust. Their are not 20 teams better than UK and if Rupp Arena does its job uK will be undefeated at home. Fans with low expectations accept low expectations. I dont and most of the BBN are like me.

With expectations so low why even play. If you ask Pope thT he will say number 9 or bust. Their are not 20 teams better than UK and if Rupp Arena does its job uK will be undefeated at home. Fans with low expectations accept low expectations. I dont and most of the BBN are like me.

I agree. NiL money out the ass, all veteran roster. This team should do well.

I wouldn't worry about guys "not being the best player on their team", because even national champions still won with 3rd best guy, the 4th, 5th, 6th and so on.

Having a team full of past "2nd and 3rd" best players on their team isn't bad.

I'm thinking a 6 seed. This roster is for sure better than BYUs last year and he got them to a 6th seed in the b12. No reason he can't do that this year with this roster.

Who cares. The past whatever 15 plus years we've been ranked highly in pre season with #1 recruiting classes. Where did that get us??

I'm fine with flying under the radar. Not having #1 classes. I'm good with getting team guys who fit a system

Also to have a coach now who will actually coach them up. Be creative on offense, change defenses to throw teams off, run inbounds plays, use Time outs properly and your bench

I'm good with this disrespect because we have our program back.

With the experience and defensive capabilities Kentucky has they will be a factor in the SEC and the NCAA's. Any chance the national media has to knock Kentucky teams, they will. They will have to say good things about them when they keep winning.

With the challenges Pope had to face building this roster in the short amount of time he had I am going to go into the season expecting an upper tier team in the SEC but not quite finish # 1 in the SEC. I expect top 4ish. I am also hoping we can win a couple of games in the NCAA Tourney. Anything above that is just gravy. Pope will not have in my opinion a true potential contender until around year 3. Biggest obstacle I see for Pope is just establishing himself with Kentucky and demonstrating a style of play folks want to play for. He is kind of unknown since he was at BYU to most of these young high school kids. He just needs a little time to establish himself and his brand.

You don't need glaring weaknesses to lose 10 games. This year there were, by my count, only 11 teams in major basketball conference (P5 + Big East) had fewer than 10 losses, only 3 of them with fewer than 8.
That sounds impressive when you narrow it down to just those teams. But that means we'd only have to be the 11th ranked team amongst P5 to still have single digit losses. And when you throw in all the non P5 teams that get into the top 25, that probably puts us with a ranking of just inside the top 20. That's totally realistic.

Reactions: chroix and will1976
Respect has to be earned back...

Prior Coach took the program to new lows, had no results in the post-season last 5 seasons, prioritized player promotion over winning and program promotion, lived off of "On paper" rankings and rosters and had more passion about "proving" others wrong than for winning in the past 5 seasons.

This is where he took us, and left us - seeking his own self preservation, well before the prior season was even over. He left UK with a record of losing important games and a "wait til next season" mentality. Counted on players and other coaches to compensate for his laziness and lack of preparation. He quit on UK. Never lose sight of that.

Pope may take a bit to adjust, but clearly he "understands the assignment" - where as the other guy clearly had a different focus and assignment in mind. Pope has my full support.

We have the most experienced, best shooting team in America, and possibly one of the best defensive teams in the country. Idgaf what any media member or random dumbass says, this team is LOADED and about to make some serious noise.

As I've stated a cpl of times. 20 wins is the plus/minus (for me that is) for the team assembled during MPs first year. Less, and I'm a little disappointed. More, and I'm elated. Past sweet 16...banner first year for Pope! So many unknowns at this point. Not top 25 vs Top 15 preseason...means nothing.

Reactions: know1

I don't necessarily disagree with you. My bare minimum expectation is based off recent seasons as well as the NCAA albatross around Pope's neck. I want to say the expectation is the second weekend of the NCAA and on the surface that's fair. The portal and NIL allow you to build an entirely new roster in an offseason. But I stick to my minimum expectation of one win due to the fact this is an entirely new roster that has not played one game together. They could be great. They could be a bubble team. Nobody knows.

They have an agenda to subtly trash the program and Pope.
Or some people just know losing 10 games isn't exactly difficult to do, especially with a brand new coach with a brand new roster. Last year only three power conference teams had fewer than 8 losses. Losing 10 isn't exactly tough.

Years ago I’d get jazzed about Cal’s teams w the talent riches. But I learned my lesson so in recent years I’d wait until late season to decide if I should get excited for a tourney run. I’m taking the same approach this year to see what we have w Pope and what seems to be a pretty good veteran talent mix.
Been forced to pump the brakes in seasons past because we were dealing with so much inexperience for the most part. I like this team on paper. Not a lot of weaknesses. Pope's gonna have them focused and we'll actually see some coaching. I'm of the mind that we will surprise a lot of folks this season.

I think as UK fans, none of us should care one iota about preseason. We've been down that road. It means nothing.

Second, you couldn't possibly disappoint me after the last four years. I'm excited not because I expect a Final Four (I don't). I'm excited about the new energy and passion for this program. We've got a guy who loves this program (something we desperately needed) and I'm just thrilled to have a different change in the type of team we build. That G League garbage had run its course.

It's house money this year. I'd love to get to the second weekend of the NCAA Tourney and/or an SEC Finals appearance. I'm just going to enjoy the ride, man.

I wouldn't worry about guys "not being the best player on their team", because even national champions still won with 3rd best guy, the 4th, 5th, 6th and so on.

Having a team full of past "2nd and 3rd" best players on their team isn't bad.

I'm thinking a 6 seed. This roster is for sure better than BYUs last year and he got them to a 6th seed in the b12. No reason he can't do that this year with this roster.
i am thinking a 4 or 5 seed at the worst with a S16 as an acceptable floor

I don't have low expectations, but I don't base their success per my expectations .

For the folks envisioning double digit losses, what exactly is the glaring weakness with this roster?
Biggest weakness I see is the unknown and the fact these guys have never played together at all. They are all learning a new system and in a much tougher conference than they came from. Can they come together and really gel as a team? Sure they coukd but we won't know that for awhile and Pope has a tough job but coukd do it. I'm excited to see what this group can do but keeping my expectations to what I feel is realistic and not thinking we're going to be world beaters in Pope's first season.

Reactions: Jkwo and Girthang
Biggest weakness I see is the unknown and the fact these guys have never played together at all. They are all learning a new system and in a much tougher conference than they came from. Can they come together and really gel as a team? Sure they coukd but we won't know that for awhile and Pope has a tough job but coukd do it. I'm excited to see what this group can do but keeping my expectations to what I feel is realistic and not thinking we're going to be world beaters in Pope's first season.
That's really a weak point. These guys have been successful on multiple different teams at all levels of their careers. It's an over rated issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT