ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointing season?

kb22stang

All-American
Dec 11, 2005
Really, how disappointing did it turn out to be? One bad loss to SC, 2-2 in toss ups -Mizzou, UT, Louisville and FL.

A realistic best case is winning one or two more games but the most realistic expectation would be 8-5 vs the actual 7-5.

7 wins and a top 10 win vs a rival. 3 of our losses vs top 10 teams. We had one bad loss to SC on the road.

Given our schedule, people were just unrealistic if they think this was anything other than a decent/good season

It wasn’t great, especially considering the expectations going into the season with the return of Coen and the hype surrounding Devin Leary and Ray Davis. Only Davis lived up to the hype. For me, it was the blowouts particularly at home. I expect us to at least contend against Bama this year. Throw on top of that the embarrassing loss to USCjr. Losing another winnable game against UT

Yes, win one or even two of the tossups and you have a 8-9 win season and the outlook is very different but we didn’t. So overall, disappointing, with a fun last game of the year

What gets me is if we had stayed focused and cut out the stupid penalties like we did today we probably win the SC, UT, and probably the Mizzou games. No guarantee that would happen but if we were focused enough to play as clean as today we had a really good shot at 9-3/10-2. Water under the bridge, just need to regroup.

I think it's disappointing, but today takes it from a colossal disappointment to mildly disappointing. 8-4 would have been a pretty good year, especially if we could have figured out how to beat UT or Mizzou at home.

Reactions: catben
Really, how disappointing did it turn out to be? One bad loss to SC, 2-2 in toss ups -Mizzou, UT, Louisville and FL.

A realistic best case is winning one or two more games but the most realistic expectation would be 8-5 vs the actual 7-5.
Yes it was a bad season
Yes it was a bad season
THis time 1000

It's cool to beat in state rival....but in the end, ACC vs. SEC...the 8th best SEC team is about as good as the 1-2 best ACC team. Honestly, Clemson was like a SEC school and the rest of that conference was a gimmie for them.

But same old Stoops bullcrap was stamped all over the game and we still won

- Rushing 3 at end of game hoping UL would lose it (same old puss football he always coaches terrified)
- Leary was a hotmess the entire 4th qtr.....we won in spite of the QB again
- Oline was hopeless lost to pass protect.
- 47 snaps....

Good win to beat in state rival....but this season was awful year. UL game should not change a thing.

Losses to TN, Missouri, SC, GA, AL. Needed to beat SC and would have liked to have split the TN Missouri games. Beat SC it would have been good, beat UT or M very good, beat UT and M great season.

Cawood thievery. Not sorry. Five in-a-row!!!!!🤣
F_zv-yCX0AA-7zJ

Yes it was a bad season
Yes it was a bad season
THis time 1000

It's cool to beat in state rival....but in the end, ACC vs. SEC...the 8th best SEC team is about as good as the 1-2 best ACC team. Honestly, Clemson was like a SEC school and the rest of that conference was a gimmie for them.

But same old Stoops bullcrap was stamped all over the game and we still won

- Rushing 3 at end of game hoping UL would lose it (same old puss football he always coaches terrified)
- Leary was a hotmess the entire 4th qtr.....we won in spite of the QB again
- Oline was hopeless lost to pass protect.
- 47 snaps....

Good win to beat in state rival....but this season was awful year. UL game should not change a thing.
Well you can pound that drum but for me and many, beating UL went a long ways.

Know I’ll catch some heat for this but been following this team since ‘87
7-5 satisfied
8-4 happy
9-3 tickled
10-2 thrilled
11-1 ecstatic
12-0 numb

Reactions: grevey35
Great win today!!!

However, with all of the blow up this team received during the off-season and leading up to the opener to finish 2-5 after starting 5-0, was a slight disappointment. There was a time when finishing 7-5 and beating UofL and UF would have been pretty good. But for a coach that's been at a school for 11 seasons and being paid a top 10 salary to go 3-5 in the SEC is at the LEAST slightly disappointing.

Just a couple more wins and I would have considered it a great year, especially if those 2 included the Vols. UK has NEVER beaten UF, UT and UofL in the same year. Hopefully Stoops can pull that off in the same season!!!

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
We beat South Carolina and I think it’s a solid season. I predicted 8-4 at the start.

I hesitate to use the word disappointing but that’s not an unfair characterization. I, however, lend more to describing this year as mediocre. Say we beat South Carolina but lose to Louisville—I lean more towards disappointing. A win against a rival top ten ranked team (whether such ranking is deserved or not who cares) on the road to cap the season brings the year up more to mediocre for me.

If a disappointing or mediocre year for Kentucky football is 7-5 then I say we are in a much better place program wise compared to most of my adult fandom. Fans don’t want to hear it but we need to keep that perspective in mind. Especially when having rash discussions about any sort of coaching changes.

It’s disappointing. Nice win today, but it doesn’t cover up the issues we had this year.

Didn’t look great against the non conference opponents early. Got boatraced at home by Missouri after starting 14-0. Did not show up against Georgia or Alabama. Bad loss to South Carolina. Not to mention how frustrating we looked at times with discipline issues and whatnot.

We had more negatives this season than positives. Today’s win is definitely the most satisfying game of the season.

We beat South Carolina and I think it’s a solid season. I predicted 8-4 at the start.

I hesitate to use the word disappointing but that’s not an unfair characterization. I, however, lend more to describing this year as mediocre. Say we beat South Carolina but lose to Louisville—I lean more towards disappointing. A win against a rival top ten ranked team (whether such ranking is deserved or not who cares) on the road to cap the season brings the year up more to mediocre for me.

If a down or mediocre year for Kentucky football is 7-5 then I saw we are in a much better place compared to most of my adult fandom.
To me, it’s not just the record, but how we played. Many of our games we looked terrible even in victory. To be honest, even though I hate them, the Tennessee game wasn’t that bad for me because our offense played really well.

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
I had pre season prediction that UK be 7-5 so what I expected. But still disappointed because overall how defense looked and Leary just wasn't the QB I thought he going to be.

To me, it’s not just the record, but how we played. Many of our games we looked terrible even in victory. To be honest, even though I hate them, the Tennessee game wasn’t that bad for me because our offense played really well.
I think that’s fair. Very disappointing performances in almost every big game this year aside from Florida and Louisville. Embarrassing showing in the Georgia game especially.

Say, however, that they go out and win the bowl game—I still hesitate to describe the season as a disappointment. Fans will conveniently make fun of Louisville in saying that today is the difference between the SEC and ACC but also fail to give any sort of consideration or credit to the notion that Kentucky going 7-5 while in the SEC is immensely more impressive than doing the same in the ACC. Let alone 9-3 which Stoops has done twice. To be 9-3 in the ACC you have to just be a decent to good team. To go 9-3 in the SEC you have to be one of the 10-15 best teams in the country.

The reality is that we play in the toughest conference in all of North American sports. That doesn’t do us or our record any favors. That absolutely factors into my assessment of any given season.

Last edited:
Reactions: gojvc
Knew it was going to be a tough schedule, but the talent and qb were there. Team underperformed, offense could never get a rhythm, and tons of penalties and mistakes. Defense looked like predictable garbage. To me this year was a squandered opportunity and has to make you sick as a kentucky fan. 8 wins should have been the floor for this team with 9 or 10 prior to the bowl a possibility. Expectations and hype have all risen and a 7-5 season is a big disappointment.

• Love
Reactions: ArtLaibsGhost
Losing to scar was embarrassing. They are not a good team. we should have beat Mizzou but they are at least well coached.

Reactions: ganner918
I think we beat SCAR if we don't turn the ball over, but I think we lose to UofL if they don't turn it over. 7-5 seems about right all things considered. Tad disappointing to me because I had 8-4 in the preseason, abd 7-5 feels underwhelming without any major injuries to key starters aside from Horsey.

Absolutely disappointing. The UL victory Was huge and a Testament to the teams grit. That doesnt excuse the countless penalties, lackluster effort, coaching gaffs, poor discipline that we watched all year. This team wasted so many oportunities and could have been so much better than it was.

All depends on how you view UK football. If you are satisfied with just not being terrible, then you're happy with 6-8 win seasons, no matter what. If you have high hopes of being nationally relevant someday, 7 wins is not the bar you're aiming for.

Plus looked like shit in the cupcake games. We were mediocre, and we aren’t even entertaining.

7 wins and a top 10 win vs a rival. 3 of our losses vs top 10 teams. We had one bad loss to SC on the road.

Given our schedule, people were just unrealistic if they think this was anything other than a decent/good season
Goes beyond the wins and losses numbers when saying the season was disappointing. Struggled beating EKU, bama and Georgia had us beat before the first quarter was over, missouri outscored us 35-7, and yet another home loss to UT. Florida was really the only complete game we played all year where we looked good on both sides of the ball and a real team capable of making noise in the SEC.

I never once could understand where all these high expectations were coming from. I guess the good start had folks drinking the kool aid or perhaps being favored in the Mizzou and South Carolina games. A record of 7-5 seemed very reasonable to me after what we saw last year and the players who departed.

Losing to scar was embarrassing. They are not a good team. we should have beat Mizzou but they are at least well coached.
I agree. I thought we should have won both of those. Would have put us at 9-3, and a heck of a year.

How could ANYONE who wstched our games this year NOT be disappointed
I agree. Despite winning 7 games we looked like shit the vast majority of the year and hardly resembled a football team at all in minimally 3 of our 5 losses. Some love pointing out, strangely, that Missouri was a one score game in the 4th quarter which it was but we lost by 17 and was outscored 35-7 since taking the 14-0 lead. EKU was also a one score game with 12:00 to go which others conveniently fail to bring up. UofL was our best win by a wide margin. No other team we beat won more than 5 games this year.

Reactions: JBHolmesfan
Losing at home by 6 to Tennessee and losing by 3 on the road to SC made it a disappointing season. Needed at least one of those games for a successful season 8-4 or better.

Reactions: ganner918
It was disappointing. The table was set for so much more. I bet the coaches and players would echo the sentiment

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT