ADVERTISEMENT

Difference between Saban and Coach K

bballcat4

Junior
Jan 12, 2008
Saban went out with no fanfare, no long speeches or no last trip through the SEC. He made a decision, told his players and simply stepped away. He didn’t make it about himself.

Coach K announced his decision before the season began, made a big deal of his last road trips, let Duke lavish him with attention, etc …. ESPN headline for 3 months.

I was never a K hater, but Saban went out like a man!!! Well done sir!

Saban went out with no fanfare, no long speeches or no last trip through the SEC. He made a decision, told his players and simply stepped away. He didn’t make it about himself.

Coach K announced his decision before the season began, made a big deal of his last road trips, let Duke lavish him with attention, etc …. ESPN headline for 3 months.

The way Saban retired is the way that all high character coaches retire, Joe B Hall, Roy Williams, Jay Wright, Nick Saban. They announce their retirement after their last game or a few days after the season ends. But not Mike Krzyzewski. K wanted to hear everyone sing his praises for an entire year.

Saban is a class act. Sorry to see him go but glad he was a part of the SEC. Also, glad to see that others recognize him for being the man and coach he was. I wish him all the best going forward.

Which path will Cal take?
I don't see an announcement before the season, just because it would likely kill recruiting for a year and most people wouldn't want to do that to a program that had taken very good care of them. It would take a real dick to do that...

I don't see an announcement before the season, just because it would likely kill recruiting for a year and most people wouldn't want to do that to a program that had taken very good care of them. It would take a real dick to do that...
Ok Cal’s definitely pulling the K route then. He’s always put himself before our once great program and will until the end.

Ok Cal’s definitely pulling the K route then. He’s always put himself before our once great program and will until the end.
Well, after you are wrong, I'm sure you'll be be on here saying you were wrong about it...

Well, after you are wrong, I'm sure you'll be be on here saying you were wrong about it...
I won’t be wrong. The man would rather be home petting his dogs instead of winning games in the SECT for the fans that pay hard earned money to travel and watch.

I won’t be wrong. The man would rather be home petting his dogs instead of winning games in the SECT for the fans that pay hard earned money to travel and watch.
Well, I think you will be wrong and when he announces after the end of the year or before a final 4 like Wooden you will be on here being critical of him for the way he announced his retirement.

No comparison.
Two completely different species.
One is a goat.
The other is a rat.
I’ve never been a K hater like many UK fans. Maybe his West Point background caused some automatic street cred with me.

A man is entitled to leave anyway he chooses. However, it caused me to think he was seeking glory.

Back to paying Saban respect and examining how respected coaches left the game. It appears one man was seeking glory and Saban is willing to let his work speak for itself. (Just my perspective, but I respect the heck out of him for how he left. I hope he’s bass fishing today with no access to radio or television!)

Last edited:
Reactions: cathouse

I was never a K hater, but Saban went ou

Yes, and F John Wooden for announcing b4 the 75 ship.
Damn I forgot about that one cost us number 5 did not get a call the whole game Man Kevin grevey Mike Flynn Larry Johnson Jimmy Dan conner Bob guyette brings back memories thanks

Reactions: gojvc and cathouse
Damn I forgot about that one cost us number 5 did not get a call the whole game Man Kevin grevey Mike Flynn Larry Johnson Jimmy Dan conner Bob guyette brings back memories thanks
Yes, my favorite all time team!! Refs really screwed us🤬
Should’ve played the Cards in that final but for the missed free throw from Terry Holland. Had not missed one all year.

Yes, my favorite all time team!! Refs really screwed us🤬
Should’ve played the Cards in that final but for the missed free throw from Terry Holland. Had not missed one all year.
Louisville had a hell of a team junior bridgeman very very underrated player from Kentucky

Reactions: TheJuddDome
It has been a VERY long time since I have even followed basketball, but I remember Coach K had a tendency to start bawling after a big win. Honestly can't remember Saban bawling ever, though I guess I could have missed it. But Coach K cried a lot, literally.

Also, another difference. Saban has a very strong argument to be remembered as the best coach ever in his field. As good as Coach K was, his best case is for maybe top 5 or 10.

Reactions: cathouse

I'm not a K hater, either. Plain and simple, Saban isn't a douchebag. That's the difference

…..and then got buried by UNC at his own house on the day they had a big ceremony for him and he sat there and pouted. 🤣

…..and then got buried by UNC at his own house on the day they had a big ceremony for him and he sat there and pouted. 🤣
... and the Kansas game prior to Duke -vs- UNC went into overtime causing most of the nation to miss all the hoopla before the game! No pregame festiviities on television, plus getting beat by UNC took some shine off the moment.

I can't stand K but I'd rather have his route vs Saban's. Because the way K did things actually didn't screw the university. Saban's retirement came out of nowhere to everyone involved. He left a few months after signing day, so every single recruit can now freely get out of that LOI. The transfer portal opens temporarily because of the firing, so their entire team can be gutted.

K having his year long goodbye tour at least gave them time to get a footing, develop a gameplan around whoever is next and develop a recruiting pitch because of it, and didn't dramatically impact their incoming recruiting class for those reasons.

I get the K hate, and Saban has earned the right to do whatever he wants. But it's a bit disingenuous to act like Saban didn't negatively impact Bama and I have no idea how that's seen as a good thing. Narcissism is defined by a lack of care and respect for others, which is in fact the behavior Saban displayed by jeopardizing the entire university's standing for next year, if not the next 3, because no plan was present.

Also he did not do a Tom attention whore Brady and announce it prior to the cfb championship class act nick saban

No but he did wait until all the EE had attended their first day of class, which prohibits them from petitioning to get their LOI voided and to leave without using their transfer. Think tat wasn't planned? They may still want to be at Bama without him there, but his timing took that option from them.

He's put the players first, which without them there would be no team. His job is literally to be dedicated to them...which means not about himself.

Sounds like youre the selfish one

Last edited:
He's put the players first, which without them there would be no team. His job is literally to be dedicated to them...which means not about himself.

Sounds like youre the selfish one
That’s odd. That’s what fans were complaining about when Cal was losing games.

K having his year long goodbye tour at least gave them time to get a footing, develop a gameplan around whoever is next and develop a recruiting pitch because of it, and didn't dramatically impact their incoming recruiting class for those reasons
Gotta disagree with you. First, an early announcement would have destroyed this recruiting cycle. Few top recruits would have committed with all the unknowns. They couldn’t hire a coach until after the season regardless of when he announced, so announcing early would not have helped Ala. Saban also waited until the early enrollees started class (a large percentage of the class) before his announcement.

We probably agree that a coach leaving creates chaos for any program. The new coach will have 30 days to make his pitch to new recruits and existing players. (This would be the case regardless of the timing.) This way the new coach is making a pitch to a top recruiting class instead of lower rated players that would have committed to the unknown.

Reactions: Girthang
Gotta disagree with you. First, an early announcement would have destroyed this recruiting cycle. Few top recruits would have committed with all the unknowns. They couldn’t hire a coach until after the season regardless of when he announced, so announcing early would not have helped Ala. Saban also waited until the early enrollees started class (a large percentage of the class) before his announcement.

We probably agree that a coach leaving creates chaos for any program. The new coach will have 30 days to make his pitch to new recruits and existing players. (This would be the case regardless of the timing.) This way the new coach is making a pitch to a top recruiting class instead of lower rated players that would have committed to the unknown.

It would have destroyed this cycle if you waited til the last minute, which is what it's now doing. Bama is having a mass exodus of talent, both in recruiting and in existing players because there was no plan. They just lost one of the best DB's in the country to the portal. We got one. They've had several more enter the portal and several more decommit. Good luck putting together a class after early signing day and the early transfer window.

You have a way better chance of retaining a class if you announce it before the season. When you spring it on people like this, the whole program blows up, which is exactly what's happening at Alabama. When I say early announcement, I mean like spring of last year, not start of the season. You can build a plan, you can recruit around that plan, especially if you have a sense of what will continue after that. I suppose that doesn't factor in the ability to find a 'coach in waiting' or something to that effect, but people can at least get an idea. No one's gonna stick around when you spring shit on them last minute. This is their futures. And now they gotta try to figure out how to put a team together.

You have a way better chance of retaining a class if you announce it before the season.
What kind of recruiting class do you think Ala would have signed in Dec with: a) Knowing Saban was retiring, and b) Not knowing who the next coach was going to be?

There’s no way Ala hires a top flight coach until after CFP.

There’s no question that new transfer rules just about guarantees multiple entries into portal when a coach leaves.

I’m sure new coach would rather try to retain current top recruiting class instead of a much lower ranked class.

I’m also guessing new coach would rather try to retain existing players who are still on campus instead of those same players not stepping foot back on campus because of an earlier announcement.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don’t think Saban did anything to intentionally hurt Ala. I will agree with you 110% that coaches leaving results in mass exodus of players. (If it happens at Ala, just imagine how it will impact other schools.) The numbers may not be as high for other schools simply because they don’t have as many talented players. But yes, coaches leaving results in talent getting poached. Imagine how many assistant coaches from other programs are in Tuscaloosa! Looks like FSU and Texas rented apartments for their coaches!

Bottom line is there’s never a good way for a coach to retire or take another job. However, I do believe Saban didn’t want to make everything about him. I respect him for how he stepped away.

Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT