ADVERTISEMENT

Difference between Saban and Coach K

Saban went out with no fanfare, no long speeches or no last trip through the SEC. He made a decision, told his players and simply stepped away. He didn’t make it about himself.

Coach K announced his decision before the season began, made a big deal of his last road trips, let Duke lavish him with attention, etc …. ESPN headline for 3 months.

I was never a K hater, but Saban went out like a man!!! Well done sir!
There has never been a bigger narcissist than Mike Krys.

^ His departure certainly made it appear you are correct.

My OP was how I respected Saban’s departure. Ala, the SEC, ESPN, and all of the college football world would have thrown flowers at his feet if he desired them to do so. After his season he simply said, “I’m out. Next man up.”

Reactions: Girthang
What kind of recruiting class do you think Ala would have signed in Dec with: a) Knowing Saban was retiring, and b) Not knowing who the next coach was going to be?

There’s no way Ala hires a top flight coach until after CFP.

There’s no question that new transfer rules just about guarantees multiple entries into portal when a coach leaves.

I’m sure new coach would rather try to retain current top recruiting class instead of a much lower ranked class.

I’m also guessing new coach would rather try to retain existing players who are still on campus instead of those same players not stepping foot back on campus because of an earlier announcement.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don’t think Saban did anything to intentionally hurt Ala. I will agree with you 110% that coaches leaving results in mass exodus of players. (If it happens at Ala, just imagine how it will impact other schools.) The numbers may not be as high for other schools simply because they don’t have as many talented players. But yes, coaches leaving results in talent getting poached. Imagine how many assistant coaches from other programs are in Tuscaloosa! Looks like FSU and Texas rented apartments for their coaches!

Bottom line is there’s never a good way for a coach to retire or take another job. However, I do believe Saban didn’t want to make everything about him. I respect him for how he stepped away.
oh I just appreciate the levelheaded conversation. I merely wanted to present a different viewpoint on it. I don't care about K in any respect (just looking at him annoys me), but I think Sabans last minute decision really really hurt Alabama and not sure it should be commended. I do have to accept that the sports different but yeah, just wanted to provide a viewpoint

Reactions: bballcat4
Saban got to keep his players 3 years - people forget that when comparing Saban to basketball coaches

I hate Duke don’t care for Coach K.
BUT…. I do recognize he is a great coach with great accomplishments.

That said Coach K announced that before the season was because he was wanting the NCAA refs to give him more calls and lead way towards his team. For one last run to a title hopes.

Reactions: Girthang
I can't stand K but I'd rather have his route vs Saban's. Because the way K did things actually didn't screw the university. Saban's retirement came out of nowhere to everyone involved. He left a few months after signing day, so every single recruit can now freely get out of that LOI. The transfer portal opens temporarily because of the firing, so their entire team can be gutted.

K having his year long goodbye tour at least gave them time to get a footing, develop a gameplan around whoever is next and develop a recruiting pitch because of it, and didn't dramatically impact their incoming recruiting class for those reasons.

I get the K hate, and Saban has earned the right to do whatever he wants. But it's a bit disingenuous to act like Saban didn't negatively impact Bama and I have no idea how that's seen as a good thing. Narcissism is defined by a lack of care and respect for others, which is in fact the behavior Saban displayed by jeopardizing the entire university's standing for next year, if not the next 3, because no plan was present.
How do you know that? I'm sure Saban had told the Administration when he was going to leave. Did you notice how fast they had a coach hired? I think the general public was the only ones to NOT know he was leaving.

The way Saban retired is the way that all high character coaches retire, Joe B Hall, Roy Williams, Jay Wright, Nick Saban. They announce their retirement after their last game or a few days after the season ends. But not Mike Krzyzewski. K wanted to hear everyone sing his praises for an entire year.
I am having trouble recalling.....I'm not sure if Bear Bryant announced before or after that final Liberty Bowl, but either way, he departed without fanfare. Now, when he died a short time later, the press latched upon his legacy and passing away but that was not within his control.

As I used to advise the youngsters: "When you reach the fork in the road that leads to 'class' or 'trash'.....always stay on the path to class." :cool:

GBB!

What kind of recruiting class do you think Ala would have signed in Dec with: a) Knowing Saban was retiring, and b) Not knowing who the next coach was going to be?

There’s no way Ala hires a top flight coach until after CFP.

There’s no question that new transfer rules just about guarantees multiple entries into portal when a coach leaves.

I’m sure new coach would rather try to retain current top recruiting class instead of a much lower ranked class.

I’m also guessing new coach would rather try to retain existing players who are still on campus instead of those same players not stepping foot back on campus because of an earlier announcement.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don’t think Saban did anything to intentionally hurt Ala. I will agree with you 110% that coaches leaving results in mass exodus of players. (If it happens at Ala, just imagine how it will impact other schools.) The numbers may not be as high for other schools simply because they don’t have as many talented players. But yes, coaches leaving results in talent getting poached. Imagine how many assistant coaches from other programs are in Tuscaloosa! Looks like FSU and Texas rented apartments for their coaches!

Bottom line is there’s never a good way for a coach to retire or take another job. However, I do believe Saban didn’t want to make everything about him. I respect him for how he stepped away.

Exactly. Announcing you'll be retiring before the next season or during the season is far worse. You would have a HUGE NEGATIVE in terms of recruiting from the announcement until signing a new coach. Mass exodus of both underclassmen and then upperclassmen who know the year is a drama fest.

Ripping off the bandaid is the way to go, and Saban did it the best way possible.

I don't like UNC or Roy Williams but he did the same. Just stepped away at the end of the season. K wanted to be showered with praise all season in the media and by opposing teams.
And I believe more. Duke has always been the media darling and officials treated them as such. I was actually shocked that Duke DID NOT get officiating criminality that last season. K hoped by announcing his retirement they would give him calls all season and send him out with a championship. I was shocked when that didn’t happen. Bet he was too.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
I think giving proper notice to an employer is never a bad thing.

Saban deciding to let everyone know later has hurt Alabama as letting an employer know later with little notice or without notice often does.

Ok Cal’s definitely pulling the K route then. He’s always put himself before our once great program and will until the end.
Didn't you hate when he did the telethons helping hurricane victims in E Ky and later W Ky? When he had fundraising for Haiti that was just selfish.

Didn't you hate when he did the telethons helping hurricane victims in E Ky and later W Ky? When he had fundraising for Haiti that was just selfish.
That was some great deeds. Props to cal for that.
But K has his own nonprofit foundation as does most coaches. They all do nonprofits and fundraising. We just hear about all Cal does because we’re UK fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT