ADVERTISEMENT

Did Wandale improve draft stock with that performance?

STL_Cat

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2011
First off I’d just like to say it’s 100% my pipe dream that Wandale will make the decision to come back and play for Kentucky for one more year. My goodness, how much fun would that be …

That being said … do you believe Wandale improved his NFL stock yesterday? I ask this because bowl game opt outs have been such a hot topic over the last 3-4 years especially. So many comments even HERE on a Kentucky football board about bowl games being meaningless exhibitions (which just flies all over me every time I see it …).

All we want to talk about is how these guys could get hurt, jeopardize their NFL future and earnings potential, etc (although I’ve yet to see more than MAYBE 1 tangible example of this happening, you’re no more likely to get hurt in your bowl game than your last regular season game).

I’ll say this — in that meaningless bowl game, did Wandale Robinson turn even more heads than he previously did? We all know how fantastic his regular season was. That goes without saying. But with that epic performance yesterday, did Wandale Robinson play his way up in the draft? And if so, when will we start looking at examples of THAT happening vs guys getting injured in bowl games and jeopardizing their futures? Because I think the other side of that coin could be significant, too.

thoughts? Just some Sunday morning ramblings as I sit here drinking my coffee rewatching the last 3:40 of that game yesterday

Reactions: BlueTick2
Good points. I’m not necessary talking about a 2 round leap. But definitely turning some more heads.

And I do mind opt outs. So I’m extremely biased here. Obviously. Lol

Reactions: JABJRS
The NFL will find you… they already know more about a player than their mother. I do not think what a player does, good or bad, in a Bowl game effects the outcome of an NFL draft prospect. OMO
Hey…. I’m just a dude sitting on a couch… no one from the NFL has rang me up.
But that kid can play!!! He’s 100% a football player… I support his decision whatever it might be.

Unfortunately, I believe that Robinson’s draft value, like that of all NFL prospects, will continue to be evaluated by a cold hard calculus: size, speed, other measurables, and overall body of work. A bowl game adds only incrementally to that equation.

I respect the heck out of the culture Stoops has built, but I absolutely cringed when Wan’Dale took that shot.

The NCAA needs to develop better structural solutions to the bowl game dilemma: insurance policies, NIL incentives, etc. The financial protection must be equal to the financial risk, or opting out will continue to be an appealing option.

Honestly Wandale looks like a NFL slot receiver to me. His body control and catch radius are what impress me. Watching him make difficult catches while other receivers can’t makes me understand why he is so special.

Reactions: THE_OAK and STL_Cat
He could definitely come back for another year, improve his route running and run blocking, maybe get him involved in some end arounds or jet sweeps to show his versatility...

Tyler Lockett is an outstanding WR. Fast and agile, but he is one of the best WRs in the league because he's an excellent route runner.

Lots of guys are fast and shifty.

Few are fast and shifty, AND understand the game from a birds eye view.

For KENTUCKY l would love for him to come back, but realistically and unless he can make a couple million in NIL money, he should definitely go if he's in the t3 rds
I think he would definitely make another 1 to 2 million coming back. Any idea what he would make guaranteed in the NFL where he is projected to get drafted now?

Reactions: Kentucky81
I think setting the receiving yards record for U.K., getting POG, etc., improved his draft stock at least marginally.

It helps to show you are the man who will get it done in the big game when the game is on the line against a team with good DBs who are focusing on stopping you. That was a good day for WanDale. Also showed he was a team first guy, a fiery competitor, and a guy who likes pressure. Was a positive day for WR1.

Robinson clearly helped his draft case with the catch and sprint and over the middle plays. It would be difficult for him to improve his situation a lot but he would help Will. He probably needs to go and make a roster. He went out on top and we will remember his effort for a long time.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Good points. I’m not necessary talking about a 2 round leap. But definitely turning some more heads.

If the media started calling at what it really is… “Quitting the team” and stopped soft peddling it by calling it an “opt out” I think it would be viewed very differently, and more in line with what it realistically is.

There is no such thing as an “opt out”. It’s quitting on your team pure and simple. There’s really no justification for it. You’re more likely to be injured playing Georgia or Bama than Iowa. Why not opt out those games too? If we keep coddling this they will within the next decade.

While I understand some players have been told by agents and NFL personnel it’s best to sit it out, it is quitting on your team. This isn’t a road fans need to just go along with. People really better start pushing back on this idea or it will begin to happen during big games during the season. Don’t believe me? Mark the post and come back to it in around 6-8 more years.

Honestly doesn’t sound like “most” think it will at all. Maybe 2 of us.

There’s no way if I’m an NFL GM that game didn’t help Wind’s stock. He chose to play for his teams championship when many worry about themselves. It shows he has heart. And yes I’m saying those that sit it out don’t have the same character. Absolutely.

As a person of faith, I wouldn’t even think about an injury. If I get injured bad enough to derail my entire career in the LAST game of the season, then God has other plans for me. The problem today is people think they can control everything and they can’t. If you’re not meant to play in the NFL you won’t. Sitting out a game isn’t going to change it. It’ll happen another way.

Unfortunately, I believe that Robinson’s draft value, like that of all NFL prospects, will continue to be evaluated by a cold hard calculus: size, speed, other measurables, and overall body of work. A bowl game adds only incrementally to that equation.

I respect the heck out of the culture Stoops has built, but I absolutely cringed when Wan’Dale took that shot.

The NCAA needs to develop better structural solutions to the bowl game dilemma: insurance policies, NIL incentives, etc. The financial protection must be equal to the financial risk, or opting out will continue to be an appealing option.
Wow. That is what you come away with?

What about the shot Wandale took in opener of season? He looked a lot like a dude that was shaky after taking a slant and shot at goaline. What about the shots Wandale took in UGA game….he got lit up a few times.

If football boils down to potential injury so I wait for NFL salary….then why is Levis coming back, what about Kinnard getting rolled up, Why did Bully need to head butt all day with an all American center, etc?

And if this is your ideology….why does Mac Jones in New England not sit out until he gets his second contract, same for Joe Burrow, same for Micah Parsons….just sit out as you could get hurt until you get the real huge $$$?

At some point it is football, there is a risk and you do play for teams.

If Wan'Dale came back next year, he could improve his draft stock by becoming a better punt returner. That said, I think he should go if he's projected in the first three rounds (which looks extremely likely).

Wow. That is what you come away with?

What about the shot Wandale took in opener of season? He looked a lot like a dude that was shaky after taking a slant and shot at goaline. What about the shots Wandale took in UGA game….he got lit up a few times.

If football boils down to potential injury so I wait for NFL salary….then why is Levis coming back, what about Kinnard getting rolled up, Why did Bully need to head butt all day with an all American center, etc?

And if this is your ideology….why does Mac Jones in New England not sit out until he gets his second contract, same for Joe Burrow, same for Micah Parsons….just sit out as you could get hurt until you get the real huge $$$?

At some point it is football, there is a risk and you do play for teams.

Some of these people I just don’t get. You’re playing and taking shots ALL YEAR. At some point we have to end this nonsense. Sit out college football and train for the draft if you don’t want to play. These programs are not there for players to use and play however they like.

It’s just getting to the point where if we continue this logic they’re going to sit out key tough games all throughout the year. Enough.

If Wan'Dale came back next year, he could improve his draft stock by becoming a better punt returner. That said, I think he should go if he's projected in the first three rounds (which looks extremely likely).
Wouldn’t he be guaranteed more money if he came back than if he left? Assuming he gets NIL money regardless of injury.

Said he would sit down with his family and do what is best for him and them. Will 'them' want what is best for 'him.'? Hopefully he wants to enjoy his time in college while he can. His size and the way he takes hits, would another year of weight lifting help his durability before he gets there? Those hits will be even more violent when he gets there.

Reactions: Cat06
Realistically, who does he compare to in the NFL? He's a bit undersized and lacks elite speed but makes up with buckets of football IQ and shifty-ness. Not knowing the numbers, I'd guess he could bring in $2-3 mil from NIL and potentially $3-5mil (not guaranteed) from the NFL over a couple years with half going to other people .

i.e.

Reactions: plumdog69

I’m not sure what Stoops does, but we’ve been EXTREMELY fortunate that he builds such loyalty into his players that the opt outs have been a non-issue to this point. I think he instills the mentality that they are part of history in the making and they seem to play with a mission. We’ve had a number of guys who could have opted out, but chose to play and be part of that. Those guys win the bowl game MVP trophies too. So whatever Stoops is doing to avoid opt outs, I hope he keeps doing it.

For an undersized player Wan'Dale is very durable. He took some really big hits in that game and still got back up and played. That quality is very important to NFL teams because with the 56 man rosters and the long season, being able to stay on the field is a big plus. So that and stepping up and making big plays at crunch time certainly portrays him as the type of guy NFL scouts are looking for.

He could certainly build on that with another year, and he could also further establish himself as a reliable return man, but if he makes the second round it's doubtful he could improve much on that. Third might be worth coming back for, especially with a 7 figure NIL deal.

Last edited:
Said he would sit down with his family and do what is best for him and them. Will 'them' want what is best for 'him.'? Hopefully he wants to enjoy his time in college while he can. His size and the way he takes hits, would another year of weight lifting help his durability before he gets there? Those hits will be even more violent when he gets there.
I don’t think another year in SEC football will move the needle for Wan’Dale. He put a lot on tape for teams to see (nearly 100 catches and toughness). He needs to train really hard and put in the best possible time he can at the combine or pro-day!

First off I’d just like to say it’s 100% my pipe dream that Wandale will make the decision to come back and play for Kentucky for one more year. My goodness, how much fun would that be …

That being said … do you believe Wandale improved his NFL stock yesterday? I ask this because bowl game opt outs have been such a hot topic over the last 3-4 years especially. So many comments even HERE on a Kentucky football board about bowl games being meaningless exhibitions (which just flies all over me every time I see it …).

All we want to talk about is how these guys could get hurt, jeopardize their NFL future and earnings potential, etc (although I’ve yet to see more than MAYBE 1 tangible example of this happening, you’re no more likely to get hurt in your bowl game than your last regular season game).

I’ll say this — in that meaningless bowl game, did Wandale Robinson turn even more heads than he previously did? We all know how fantastic his regular season was. That goes without saying. But with that epic performance yesterday, did Wandale Robinson play his way up in the draft? And if so, when will we start looking at examples of THAT happening vs guys getting injured in bowl games and jeopardizing their futures? Because I think the other side of that coin could be significant, too.

thoughts? Just some Sunday morning ramblings as I sit here drinking my coffee rewatching the last 3:40 of that game yesterday
Some teams value character and effort more heavily, while others value talent. The teams that value the former more heavily will likely look at his effort as a positive and move him in front of players with similar talent who bailed on their teams.

I don’t think another year in SEC football will move the needle for Wan’Dale. He put a lot on tape for teams to see (nearly 100 catches and toughness). He needs to train really hard and put in the best possible time he can at the combine or pro-day!

Kinda like how he was projected a 1/2 round pick last year, but suddenly he's a surefire top-10.

With NIL, most of these guys actually could make more in college than the pros thanks to the shitty rookie deals they hand out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT