ADVERTISEMENT

Dicky V Baby !!!

An icon, glad he is still there. He yacks it up but when he does a game it is like Al McGuire back in 70's, it is an event. Give me Vitale and you can have smartest guy in room Bilas, Vitale is great, great guy. Glad he is there. He is college BB and is big game guy.
Too bad Bilas with all the UNC cover up nonsense has become John Skipper's favorite. Think this is why Bilas is so pro UNC. Skipper loves him.

Can't stand to hear him call a game. More accurately, NOT call a game. He spends way too much time talking about topics not related to the game in progress. Too much time telling stories instead of calling the game. And too much time acting out his Shtick.

Dude needs to be put out to pasture.

Reactions: crestcat
I like pretty much all the play by play announcers, but ESPN's three most prominent color commentators, (Bilas, Vitale, Walton), are each 100% mute worthy in their own ways.

Reactions: ArkansasCatsFan
He's good for the sport and aside from some UNC/Duke slobber, he's pretty fair. He loves Kentucky, or at least does the best acting job I've ever seen.

I don't understand the hate. He's like a 6 out of 10 all around.. it could be much worse.

He says the right things about the ACC , so ESPN's headman likes him !! He will never say UNCHeat should be punished and titles taken away so that's why he's still there !

Anybody who read the Ringer feature on him should not be surprised. He has a pathological need for attention and adoration on a level not seen from many public figures. He is a wonderful human being who has dedicated his life to fundraising for cancer reasearch but he will be on TV until he is literally forced into retirement. He needs the attention his work brings him to live basically. Fun fact from the article he hasn't eaten a meal in private at his home in like over 10 years he goes out every single night in public to be seen.

Reactions: Cornered Weasel
I love Dickie V....goes a little overboard on things but is great for the sport. He's as big a Coach Cal fan as there is.

Additionally, the money he raises for cancer research is amazing. $3+ million at his event last week.

And, he is genuinely one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I have had the chance to meet him 4-5 times and he is a truly good person.

Reactions: UK2005_24
I can take him over Jay Bilas.At least he doesn't have that arrogant smarter than everyone vibe like Bilas.

Reactions: ORCAT
Vitale loves all the coaches.

He needs to fade into the sunset.

I have no problem with it. He probably costs espn a lot less to keep than some imagine at his age. He isn't demanding that high a salary at this point imo

Vitale had a great career, but it is time to move on. Should have retired and let someone else keep their job in his place.

Honestly, I don't understand how anyone dislikes Vitale. I certainly understand how you may not prefer his announcing style.

But, by all accounts, Vitale is a good man, a philanthropist, a Christian, a loving father, grandfather and an impassioned basketball fan like no other.

I believe that hatred for Vitale says way more about the hater than Vitale himself.

It's an in thing, for a segment of UK fans, to dislike Dick Vitale. It must be because he is such a good person and, more to the point, successful man.

I like what BlueBomb said "it says more about the hater than Vitale".

Dicky V is pretty much the ESPN mascot/logo, bouncing him would be like firing Mickey.

A lot of other loud mouths need to go before him.

Say what you want about DV, he has unrivaled passion for the game and seems to genuinely enjoy what he does. He also never really goes out of his way to push some agenda or espouse a hot/popular take on non sports/stats/highlights issues for the sake of gaining favor with snowflakes, blogs, celebs, politicians, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: catswillwin
I didn't read so much hate for DV personally as a much dislike for his work. I agree with those who say DV is a great ambassador for CBB, but can unbearable at times during his work, but there are worse than he.

Reactions: Graham51
What is a Dickie V. Is it some sort of std. Jk. Yea I'm good with the old man. At least he will stand and cheer at the games. More than can be said about the crypt keeper's in the lower arena at Rupp.

Duck loves college basketball and I love college basketball so I have no real problem with him being retained. He's gotten older and slowed down some but, so what, that happens to all of us and I'm in no hurry to be pushed out either. Not my favorite personality any more but I don't dislike the guy like so many others on here either.

Good for Vitale; for us to not have him do our games, we have to be the elite game.

Not sure I care to listen to any of the ESPN guys for our games. All of ESPN's opinions of UK/Cal are irrelevant to me.

Perhaps our JMI deal can get us our own 'homer' team on our broadcasts? Set a new standard.

Tubby was job hunting and went through the motions in his last year. Thanks for the extra effort Tubby, and someone should ask Vitale how great Tubby is now after going to his 3rd job since he left Lexington.

Like it. IMO, regular season bball is boring. I watch very few bball games but if I run upon one with Dicky V calling, I'll watch it longer than otherwise. He is college bball.

I think ESPN should go with a Best of Dick Vitale series. Since he doesn't talk about the game in progress any of his broadcasts would fit most any game.

I like Vitale and I'm glad he'll be hanging around at ESPN for at least a few more years. He's one of a kind and college basketball wouldn't be the same without him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT