ADVERTISEMENT

DeSousa Played For Kansas Despite Having A Signed Contract With A Spanish Team

A

anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y

KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony, when asked about De Sousa and the contract with the Spanish team, said KU Athletics would continue to defer all comment to KU director of strategic communications Joe Monaco. When contacted, Monaco referred to a previous KU statement from last week: “It is not appropriate for the university to comment while legal proceedings are ongoing. As we have said all along, the prosecution has not suggested any wrongdoing by the university or its coaches. We will continue to cooperate as requested throughout the trial.”

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article219820675.html

Reactions: sambowieshin
Cornercuck (good one Morg) to debunk in 3....2....

Xis0sZc.gif

The best part is KU’s compliance director’s memory going haywire when asked if they knew about de Sousa and an agent. “I got so many documents that gee golly, I just don’t remember, gosh darn.”

At this point, you have to fire Bill Self for *not* knowing any of this.

Lack of Institutional Control surely applies when no one involved knows anything or has any responsibility in Selby, McLemore, Alexander, Bragg, Preston, De Sousa, Arthur, etc

. If your entire athletic department just had no idea about any of the dozen issues you've had over the last decade, that's almost worse than if it were orchestrated cheating.

Meanwhile Bill will win another Big 12 title, flash that cheesy smile and the sports media will be entranced by it.

Reactions: morgousky
We watched our best player sit on the bench all season because his pro team gave him more than enough for education. All while leaving the excess untouched in a bank account.

It wasn’t even that. His “pro team” at the time wasn’t allowed by FIBA regulations to sign Kanter to a contract (which they didn’t) anyway because he was too young.

Kanter did play “with” professionals in a few games while with Fenerbahce but that by itself didn’t make him a pro, something even the NCAA recognizes.

Kanter was part of Fenerbahce’s developmental youth team and per legal arrangements they were responsible for covering his living and educational expenses (i.e. basically a scholarship).

Despite what the media likes to claim the issue wasn’t that he was a pro (he wasn’t). The supposed issue was over whether he received more in reimbursement than he was entitled to.

I say “supposed” because the NCAA of course didn’t care that most of the money had been left in escrow & the Kanters we’re willing to return it in order to retain his eligibility,

The NCAA was just using that as an excuse to justify their primary goal, which was to prevent him from ever playing for UK.

It wasn’t even that. His “pro team” at the time wasn’t allowed by FIBA regulations to sign Kanter to a contract (which they didn’t) anyway because he was too young.

Kanter did play “with” professionals in a few games while with Fenerbahce but that by itself didn’t make him a pro, something even the NCAA recognizes.

Kanter was part of Fenerbahce’s developmental youth team and per legal arrangements they were responsible for covering his living and educational expenses (i.e. basically a scholarship).

Despite what the media likes to claim the issue wasn’t that he was a pro (he wasn’t). The supposed issue was over whether he received more in reimbursement than he was entitled to.

I say “supposed” because the NCAA of course didn’t care that most of the money had been left in escrow & the Kanters we’re willing to return it in order to retain his eligibility,

The NCAA was just using that as an excuse to justify their primary goal, which was to prevent him from ever playing for UK.
Yet some still say the NCAA doesn't apply rules differently depending on the school involved??

The Kansas fans will be most disappointed with vacation of games if it results in them not actually winning 234 straight conference titles.....[pfftt]

Reactions: kl40504
Yet some still say the NCAA doesn't apply rules differently depending on the school involved??

True. And if anyone doubts this, keep in mind that not long after the Kanter ruling, the NCAA took up the case of Alex Len.

Len was a player who not only signed a pro contract (unlike Kanter) but who played in and was specifically paid to play in pro games (unlike Kanter). Despite clearly already being a pro (again unlike Kanter) they allowed Len to eventually become eligible to play collegiately for Maryland.

No matter what comes out in the trial,nothing will happen to any school unless the NCAA chooses to act on the information.Based on past history and the (save UL) schools most involved the NCAA may do nothing.It would appear that would be nearly impossible but it is the NCAA we are talking about.Does the NCAA have a ranking official (or anyone at all) attending the trial?

True. And if anyone doubts this, keep in mind that not long after the Kanter ruling, the NCAA took up the case of Alex Len.

Len was a player who not only signed a pro contract (unlike Kanter) but who played in and was specifically paid to play in pro games (unlike Kanter). Despite clearly already being a pro (again unlike Kanter) they allowed Len to eventually become eligible to play collegiately for Maryland.

and Kentucky still grabbed a Final4.

giphy.gif

How fun would it be to have Mark Emmert chin deep in poo, and then how fun would it be to step on his head. I'll never forget Dick Vital saying that if Enes Kanter was at any other school in the country besides Kentucky, that the NCAA would let him play.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Pro contract and received money from Adidas. Hard to imagine he is eligible this year. Big kid who played at West Virginia was also on same Turkish team as Kanter. He was suspended a portion of the season. Arthur at Kansas was shown to have altered his grades to become eligible. He was on the team that beat Memphis and Rose. Rose is ineligible. Kansas still has their banner hanging. Never know what NCAA is going to do. Mark Emmert makes up the rules as it goes.

"KU director of strategic communications"

Strategic Communications?!?!? WTH? Is this a department they created for their athletics cover ups?

Reactions: Cindog28
Pro contract and received money from Adidas. Hard to imagine he is eligible this year. Big kid who played at West Virginia was also on same Turkish team as Kanter. He was suspended a portion of the season. Arthur at Kansas was shown to have altered his grades to become eligible. He was on the team that beat Memphis and Rose. Rose is ineligible. Kansas still has their banner hanging. Never know what NCAA is going to do. Mark Emmert makes up the rules as it goes.

The pro contract was vetted and resolved last year before he was ruled eligible.

The pro contract was vetted and resolved last year before he was ruled eligible.
LOL yes we’re all sure it was !! How do you go about going from a amature to a pro that actual received money , then decide you want to not be a pro anymore!! And it just magically be ok just for the Jailhawk player and the Rug Doctor?

Don’t doubt you but curious, vetted by whom? The NCAA or just KU?

Also did he play any games as a pro or just sign the contract? If not was there a signing bonus involved?

The NCAA. The agreement with a sports agent posted by MdWildcat55, I've not heard about.

The NCAA also played games with calculating Kanter's "need" for education. They basically averaged cost of education for the entire nation of Turkey, including rural sheep rancher communities and decided that he was overpaid. If they just looked at the cost of education in the urban Istanbul where the team was located, the cost of education/tutoring was reasonable if not low.

The NCAA. The agreement with a sports agent posted by MdWildcat55, I've not heard about.

I see you're joining in with the team line of "I DON'T HAVE A CLUE OF WHAT'S GOING ON, I GET A MILLION PAPERS AND GOSH DARN I CAN'T LOOK AT THEM ALL, OKAY?! GET OFF MY BACK!"

Because that's always a good look for someone in your compliance department. "Hey man, I get these papers and I don't look at all of them. What do you want me to do? ACTUALLY READ THEM?! LOL get real."

And Emmert, having just left UW for the head NCAA job, let his grudge against Kanter picking UK over UW get in the way of a common sense solution.

The NCAA also played games with calculating Kanter's "need" for education. They basically averaged cost of education for the entire nation of Turkey, including rural sheep rancher communities and decided that he was overpaid. If they just looked at the cost of education in the urban Istanbul where the team was located, the cost of education/tutoring was reasonable if not low.

True but it’s worse than that. I talked to Kanter’s lawyer about this soon after the ruling and according to him Fenerbahce back loaded their reimbursements so much of the money paid was for earlier years.

Of course the NCAA in their infinite wisdom didn’t break it down by years., they just looked at the current year’s amount and assumed it was all for tuition for that current year. Given that, it’s no surprise they determined it was high.

Note that the payments were so backloaded that Kanter’s lawyer noted that the club still technically owed reimbursements that were never paid.

No matter what comes out in the trial,nothing will happen to any school unless the NCAA chooses to act on the information.Based on past history and the (save UL) schools most involved the NCAA may do nothing.It would appear that would be nearly impossible but it is the NCAA we are talking about.Does the NCAA have a ranking official (or anyone at all) attending the trial?
Dude, if the NCAA can find a way to at least scratch Kentucky (and Calipari) with some type of punishment, they will be willing to punish other schools so their disdain for UK and Cal isn't so obvious.

I'd totally believe your idea that no school would be punished from these findings if Bam's name wasn't in the mix. As soon as the NCAA saw anything remotely close to a link to Kentucky or a UK player from this FBI investigation, they were probably already plotting how they can lightly punish other schools just to get a shot at Cal and Kentucky.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT