ADVERTISEMENT

Davis expected to sign with Arkansas

Overwhelming cupcakes? Robert Morris, Evansville, Richmond, St Peters and Oakland were just some examples of cupcakes not being overwhelmed playing a bunch of 5 stars still in diapers.

Glad that crap is gone.
I know that, it was the closest I could come to demonstrating a Calipari season.

Good thing Cal is no longer here as he gets every stud player left and right to go to Arkansas.

Can't wait to see Arkansas in the Final 4.
Angry Family GIF by South Park

Matchups with AR starting to unfold. Williams versus Aidoo at the 5. Butler versus Fland at the 1. Oweh versus Davis at the 2. Carr versus Knox at the 4. Will change a little just a little early insight.

Another good get for the hogs. Many bash Aidoo for being soft, but he was an All-SEC player for a reason. Mix his SEC experience, the overall experience of Johnelle Davis, the ceilings of Fland, Richmond, Knox, Z, etc. and the talent formula is coming together. Question is, can Cal turn back time and coach them to success as a TEAM while running the BradCal "Earned Not Given" Offense? We know Calipari U (+NIL) will get players and that Arky will be better than the train wreck they were last season. All that does is make the conference better and sets the bar higher for everyone.

That said, I like our team better (could be the blue colored glasses) and love our coaches and analytical approach. Guarantee we play with less ego and more as a team next year than we have in several years. Instead of fizzling out at the end of the season, we are being set up to peak when we normally trough. Arky will just be one of several hurdles during an exciting first season under Pope and his staff.

I vote we spend no more time even worrying about what the heck Arky is doing until they actually do something on the court worth worrying about!
Disagree. He’s still using the same formula. Can’t have 4 freshman or more being your main players which is what he will still be doing. He can’t get away from it. He will have solid teams in the regular season. Teams capable of beating any team any given night, but also young teams capable of getting beat by any team.

Knox won't play the 4.
In his mind he's a 2G but he will play the 3 but I'm sure he'll be called a guard.
The 4 is yet to be determined, we may have a bag stuck back for a rainy day, I think we’ll make a strong run at the kid from Miami, saying he’s wide open after initially being a St John’s lean.

Disagree. He’s still using the same formula. Can’t have 4 freshman or more being your main players which is what he will still be doing. He can’t get away from it. He will have solid teams in the regular season. Teams capable of beating any team any given night, but also young teams capable of getting beat by any team.
I think Aidoo and Davis are your “dudes”, maybe the young guys develop and grow into more significant roles but those two will be the primary “go to” guys. Jury still out on Burks/Wagner, I think for sure Burks signs eventually, Wagner is still possible but it’s been super quiet so who knows. If they are able to get Omier…you’ve really got something great. Obviously that’s pie in the sky wishful thinking but Cal can recruit and we have a little bit of money so who knows. It’s what makes it fun.

Cal and Arky is the shiny new toy now and he will get his guys.

If Shaedon Sharpe played in 2022 we would have won it all.
I can’t tell if you’re trolling while posing as a Cal loyalist or if you really thought we’d be better off with Cal returning.

If this is a satirical account, the Alfred E. Newman avatar is a nice touch.

I think Aidoo and Davis are your “dudes”, maybe the young guys develop and grow into more significant roles but those two will be the primary “go to” guys. Jury still out on Burks/Wagner, I think for sure Burks signs eventually, Wagner is still possible but it’s been super quiet so who knows. If they are able to get Omier…you’ve really got something great. Obviously that’s pie in the sky wishful thinking but Cal can recruit and we have a little bit of money so who knows. It’s what makes it fun.
Burks should never consider playing for calipari. His career will never take off under him. Just ask Charles Mathews. Same type situation

Burks should never consider playing for calipari. His career will never take off under him. Just ask Charles Mathews. Same type situation
I don’t disagree he does seem like an after thought to some degree, but “they” have been saying for weeks he’s coming. Haven’t really heard of him exploring any other options so I assume he almost has to come, just because I don’t know where else he would go. I do agree though, he doesn’t have a huge role on this team as it stands today.

Knox won't play the 4.
In his mind he's a 2G but he will play the 3 but I'm sure he'll be called a guard.
Knox won't play the 4.
According who they can get at the four. Will Big Z be their 4? Carr would matchup well with him. Can see at times Knox and Richmond at the 3 and 4. Oweh can defend the three or two equally well. Looking like we are likely going to be much older than them because those frosh are going to be on the court a lot.

I respect the fact you disagree. Cal will make Arky better than what they were last season is all I am saying. They now have more talent, despite the fact the game of X's and O's has bypassed Cal and hid staff. It will raise the level of competition in the conference. This is a good thing overall. I do not think they will go far in the SEC/NCAA tournaments, but they will be more of a team their fans can enjoy. We know the charm of Cal takes about 10 years to wear off (although he will likely only be in Fayetteville for 5). Like us last year, they could beat a UNC but also lose to a UNC Directional. Personally, I am not worried about what Arky is doing though. They are not a true rival of ours.

All I have to say is “Coaching Matters”
Just ask the roster of Oakland and St. Peter’s.
Among many other teams that beat us with a bunch of zero and one stars.

Reactions: NociHTTP
We actually need 3 "go-to" guys, guys who can go get you a bucket when we need one. Last year that was the 3 R's. Wagner and Trey were almost that before injuries.
BYU is a better match since the only commonality is the coach

Assuming they land Davis, I think this will be Cal’s best team since the Covid shutdown year.

It’ll likely be Cal’s best team while he’s at Arkansas too…why? Let me explain:

Due to his freshman class not following him like he expected, he was forced to go build from the portal. Not just portal role players but key pieces; specifically he won’t have a stick figure “high potential” big man but instead got a super physical great cbb player in Aidoo

This team will resemble more of his Memphis teams. 1-2 elite (typically ball dominant guard) freshmen and a bunch of physica, big, athletic, linebacker type build 3-5s. Occasional versatile scoring, long, small forward.

He would have never built that team here. He would never have went and got an Aidoo. He would have continued to have 4-6 freshmen that were built like 17 year olds. So don’t lose your mind when Arkansas is fairly successful this year. They’ll go back to weak, easy to push around lineups next season when he only recruits HS kids that are projected to be NBA guys eventually..but average in college 80-90% of the time

Reactions: MidseasonTweak
If he is THE top guard like it seems everybody says he is why is he even considering college again? A player like this would have been gone from here years ago probably. What if he does well in the workouts? Is he staying in till the end?
Sure looks like another guy that Cal is hoarding from everyone else so he can say he put him in the NBA even if all he does is use their gym and eat their food.

This one hurts. In all honesty we got a bunch of average portal guys and would rather have had two stud portal guys like Osobor and Davis.

I hope I am wrong but I think you need one or two “studs”, “dogs”, “killers” or whatever you want to call them and then some solid role players around them.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
This one hurts. In all honesty we got a bunch of average portal guys and would rather have had two stud portal guys like Osobor and Davis.

I hope I am wrong but I think you need one or two “studs”, “dogs”, “killers” or whatever you want to call them and then some solid role players around them.
People need to get used to it being a bidding war for some players. It’s not even the coach anymore, it’s what that coach can do for them. Watch the games and move on is the best strategy as it’s all a crapshoot now.

If only we could have some 5* players on this team. Those guys are studs, big time winners. You can't win big games without 4 or 5 studs...

Just a reminder!
You know what happened last time Johnell Davis played a game and was guarded by Lamont Butler? He went 2-9 from the field, 2 turnovers, only 1 assist and Lamont Butler hit the game winner to send his team to the title game.

Reactions: Samurai Cat

Pope is not known as some who is primarily focused on getting guys to the NBA. He's here to win titles and build continuity within the program, give the fans what they pay money to see....a team they can enjoy watching and getting to know. It's about the coaching. We've gotten beat so many times in recent years by teams with very little talent, simply because the other guy could coach.

• Love
Reactions: ukjenning44
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT