ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Cowens NBA MVP

corbinlee

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2016
Watching the 30 for 30 on lakers vs celtics and decided to look up past mvp's of the NBA and noticed one player who seemed like an outlier in Dave Cowens (72'-73') ... . I'd never heard of him and I see that he's from Newport, KY. Also inducted into the Naismith hall of fame .. and went to Florida state for college

Would love to hear from any basketball benny who might know more about Dave and how in the world did he not come to UK?
Thanks

Heard some old timers talk about him. Mainly in playing some rec leagues with him. Gonna try and find out more

After going to high school in Newport, KY you decided to go to college at Florida State: how on earth did Coach Adolph Rupp fail to make you a Wildcat? I wanted to go a bit further away than 80 miles from home, and Kentucky had signed a guy that year named Dan Issel to be their center.

Reactions: UKvisitor
Cowens got everything he could out of the talent he had but he was a very overrated player. Not sure why he got the mvp award that year. He was not close to being the best player in the league that season.

Watching the 30 for 30 on lakers vs celtics and decided to look up past mvp's of the NBA and noticed one player who seemed like an outlier in Dave Cowens (72'-73') ... . I'd never heard of him and I see that he's from Newport, KY. Also inducted into the Naismith hall of fame .. and went to Florida state for college

Would love to hear from any basketball benny who might know more about Dave and how in the world did he not come to UK?
Thanks

Was really a late bloomer and I'm not sure Rupp really wanted him. That was the same year that Issel came to UK. I'm not even sure if he had an offer from UK. Could be wrong on that though.

Cowens got everything he could out of the talent he had but he was a very overrated player. Not sure why he got the mvp award that year. He was not close to being the best player in the league that season.

Don't think I agree much with what you say. He averaged more than 20 ppg and over 16 rpg his MVP season while leading the C's to 68 wins, pretty dang good qualifications for an MVP season. As for being overrated? He was a double-double machine for his career with nearly 18 ppg and well over 13 rpg. Again, pretty stellar stats for an "overrated" player. Was he in a class with Jordan, Bird, Johnson, etc.? Of course not, but not many are. He was a fierce player and one of the toughest players in the league during his career and any team would have loved to have Big Red on their team, he was a pure winner. I don't think anyone has ever mentioned him as one of the all time greats but he was still an amazing player, in his own right, and far from overrated. He accomplished a great deal and was very fun to watch.

Don't think I agree much with what you say. He averaged more than 20 ppg and over 16 rpg his MVP season while leading the C's to 68 wins, pretty dang good qualifications for an MVP season. As for being overrated? He was a double-double machine for his career with nearly 18 ppg and well over 13 rpg. Again, pretty stellar stats for an "overrated" player. Was he in a class with Jordan, Bird, Johnson, etc.? Of course not, but not many are. He was a fierce player and one of the toughest players in the league during his career and any team would have loved to have Big Red on their team, he was a pure winner. I don't think anyone has ever mentioned him as one of the all time greats but he was still an amazing player, in his own right, and far from overrated. He accomplished a great deal and was very fun to watch.
That's how I remember him as well. A very aggressive, hard nosed player who could hit the top of key jump shot or drive very aggressively. If I remember right he was a lefty.

Reactions: musrat59
Cowens was a great player. i never got to watch any of his college games because back then tv wasn't what it is today, but i never missed a celtics game during the bird era---and he was one of my favorites when he played with them.
I asked the question on here last year why rupp never recruited him and jpscott was kind enough to relate the whole story about why he didn't play at uk.

Reactions: KYNC89
Not sure what NBA you were watching. You don't get named one of the 50 best NBA players of the league's first half century without being a great player. Or make eight all star teams. Or be named MVP of the finals.

By the way, someone above mentioned that he used to play in rec leagues in Northern Kentucky back when he was still in the NBA. That's true. I knew his younger brother and the guy who was a teammate at Newport Catholic then roomed with him at Florida State. I played I some of those full court rec league games against him and he was amazing to watch run the court at his size.

UK fans, lol. It is ok to admit Cowens was a great player even though he chose to go to another school 50 years ago. ROY, MVP, 8 time all-star, named one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history. Yeah the guy was pretty good.
But, but the guy above said he was overrated.

Interesting discussion. I think it's fair to say that he was both a great player, and also wasn't the best player in the league in 1973.

Just like today, the best player in the league didn't always win the MVP. Kareem averaged 30 and 16 for a 60 win team that year, but Kareem could have gotten the MVP every year.

Reactions: UKUGA
I, very seldom watch the NBA these days, but did watch a lot when Cowens played and he was a helluva player for the Celtics.

I always enjoyed Dave Cowens and really think he is one that got away. But he was a late bloomer and UK brought in a super class that year. Hugh Durham was his college coach at FSU and was a Kentucky native. He brought in some of the best talent Kentucky HS produced to Florida State. The best being Cowens, Otto Petty and Ron King. UK recruited King, high school All American, and I was really disappointed to see him go to FSU. Petty was a high school team mate and about 5'6" but very fast and quick as a house cat.

When I hear a player has a great motor like MKG I think Dave Cowens certainly had one in his day!

^^^This^^^

AlohaCat

If I were a linker I would Link the Sports Illustrated with Cowens and Dr J leaning on each other on the cover, if my memory serves me correctly it was at time of NBA-ABA merger and was captioned "Dave and the Doctor in one big league" Dave was a crash the floor go all out the player.

UK fans, lol. It is ok to admit Cowens was a great player even though he chose to go to another school 50 years ago. ROY, MVP, 8 time all-star, named one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history. Yeah the guy was pretty good.
This is all very true. It is also true that Rupp had good reasons to be satisfied with Dan Issel. Either of these narratives is valid. But it is not valid for people to minimize Cowens' abilities and accomplishments. The guy was an all time great.

This is all very true. It is also true that Rupp had good reasons to be satisfied with Dan Issel. Either of these narratives is valid. But it is not valid for people to minimize Cowens' abilities and accomplishments. The guy was an all time great.

Rumors were that Issel was Rupp's third choice that year. Don't remember who
were the other two. Seems like OSU
signed one of the others.

I, very seldom watch the NBA these days, but did watch a lot when Cowens played and he was a helluva player for the Celtics.
Same here.
Cowens was a pure winner.
He didn't give a damn about anything but winning.

He would dive for balls, he would run the floor with maximum effort.

He didn't make excuses, or cry like some of these guys do now.

It was all about team and winning.

Great player but he played in era that the NBA was about to collapse. Larry Bird on the other hand is the one we should be talking about.

Rumors were that Issel was Rupp's third choice that year. Don't remember who
were the other two. Seems like OSU
signed one of the others.

UK was recruiting George Janky (Chicago, IL), Joe Bergman (Clinton, Iowa) and Dan Issel (Batavia, IL) for one spot. (They were saving another spot for guard Rick Mount, who ended up attending Purdue.)

The myth is that Issel was UK's third choice, but if you look back at the information at the time, along with the remembrances of Joe Hall etc., that wasn't necessarily the case. Basically they would have been happy with any one of the three.

There's more information available at the page below, including the newspaper article which likely led Issel to believe he was a third choice (even though he wasn't).

Link to Article

Dave Cowens was in the same class and signed with Florida State May 31, 1966. Apparently UK wasn't recruiting him.

Reactions: poppycat
UK was recruiting George Janky (Chicago, IL), Joe Bergman (Clinton, Iowa) and Dan Issel (Batavia, IL) for one spot. (They were saving another spot for guard Rick Mount, who ended up attending Purdue.)

The myth is that Issel was UK's third choice, but if you look back at the information at the time, along with the remembrances of Joe Hall etc., that wasn't necessarily the case. Basically they would have been happy with any one of the three.

There's more information available at the page below, including the newspaper article which likely led Issel to believe he was a third choice (even though he wasn't).

Link to Article

Dave Cowens was in the same class and signed with Florida State May 31, 1966. Apparently UK wasn't recruiting him.

Casey, (without the accident) Issel, Pratt, and Mount
would have been one of all time hauls up to that time.
Didn't Mount avg about 30ppg one year?

The Cowens' lived on Nelson Place and if I recall he had younger twin brothers. Met Dave when I was in 6th grade before the family moved. Just before the Celtics went back to the finals.

I disagree about him being overrated.

Reactions: musrat59

Dave Cowens was a superior player at every level. He was recruited by Kentucky native Hugh Durham to FSU. DC played all out every play and he played both center and PF with equal skill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT