ADVERTISEMENT

Darryl Bishop, first black person to play basketball for UK has passed...

Wrong Bishop. It was Darryl’s cousin John who was convicted in this incident.
I didn't say he was convicted, just a person of interest. The incident began in Lexington ,as I remember. I believe Stephens was convicted of some offense
related and Sonny Collins was involved to a lesser degree.

Critical Race Theory is an imaginary boogie man the far right uses to keep it's base angry and scared of public schools and Democrats.
Nobody is teaching critical race theory or gender education to kindergarteners anywhere in America.
Can you find some extremist examples of something an individual teacher somewhere in America taught? Of course, just like their are nutty doctors, cops or nuts in any profession.
But CRT and Sex/gender Ed for early elementary students is not something you will find in Kentucky's state curriculum or other states across America.
It's all Boogie Man BS used to manipulate naive voters.
Don't believe me?? Go spend a week or two subbing in your local school to see for yourself. I'm sure they could use the help since nobody is wanting to teach or sub anymore after years of trashing the profession (like the far left does to cops which is also experiencing a shortage due to years of trashing).

Critical Race Theory is an imaginary boogie man the far right uses to keep it's base angry and scared of public schools and Democrats.
Nobody is teaching critical race theory or gender education to kindergarteners anywhere in America.
Can you find some extremist examples of something an individual teacher somewhere in America taught? Of course, just like their are nutty doctors, cops or nuts in any profession.
But CRT and Sex/gender Ed for early elementary students is not something you will find in Kentucky's state curriculum or other states across America.
Don't believe me?? Go spend a week or two subbing in your local school to see for yourself. I'm sure they could use the help since nobody is wanting to teach or sub anymore after years of trashing the profession (like the far left does to cops which is also experiencing a shortage due to years of trashing).
Exactly this!

Reactions: Kampus Korner
Totally opposite...it's black men like this that scares the hell out of you cdp loonies. No longer willing to stay on the plantation of victimhood.

Reactions: Lamar Card
Figured posts just like the ones I’ve seen were the reason this had so many comments. Shocker I’m right. A few people saying racism isn’t a thing because these black people said so! My lord it’s just mind blowing. RIP.
A Hispanic woman mistaken for being a white girl was beaten by a large group of black youths in Boston on Monday. The victim, who had to be taken to the hospital, told police they called her a "white b— with braids" & that she couldn't have that hairstyle.

A Hispanic woman mistaken for being a white girl was beaten by a large group of black youths in Boston on Monday. The victim, who had to be taken to the hospital, told police they called her a "white b— with braids" & that she couldn't have that hairstyle.
And this one anecdote proves what?

Totally opposite...it's black men like this that scares the hell out of you cdp loonies. No longer willing to stay on the plantation of victimhood.
I'm all for rejection of victimhood. It's the far left AND far right whiners who stay on the plantation always convinced there's a Boogie Man out to "get" them.
The far left politicians play the victim of "bad cops" "rigged economy" and "social injustices" game for votes while the far right is always playing the "CRT" "sex with kids" "evil teachers" "abortion" game for their votes.
They convince them that they are the victims of "those evil forces" by using some obscure event in the country that is always the exception, not the rule.
It's all BS and people fall for it hook, line and sinker.
Is there racism, bad cops, bad teachers, social injustice etc in America? Of course, but it's the exception, not the rule.

I'm all for rejection of victimhood. It's the far left AND far right whiners who stay on the plantation always convinced there's a Boogie Man out to "get" them.
The far left politicians play the victim of "bad cops" "rigged economy" and "social injustices" game for votes while the far right is always playing the "CRT" "sex with kids" "evil teachers" "abortion" game for their votes.
They convince them that they are the victims of "those evil forces" by using some obscure event in the country that is always the exception, not the rule.
It's all BS and people fall for it hook, line and sinker.
Is there racism, bad cops, bad teachers, social injustice etc in America? Of course, but it's the exception, not the rule.
I will say though that with the disappearance of the middle class, if you can’t see that the economy is structurally rigged, then there is little hope going forward.

I will say though that with the disappearance of the middle class, if you can’t see that the economy is structurally rigged, then there is little hope going forward.
The wealthy and powerful will always get some advantages the rest of us don't if that's what you mean by rigged. I do believe almost anything is possible if you wanna work hard enough for it though.

Another example. Some white people don't get it. Just because you have one black person on video agreeing with you doesn't mean that black people haven't been oppressed since the 1500's, because they have. No one is mad at you slugger. No one said you did it. But your continued defense and concern that people are just generally mad at "whitey" shows your misunderstanding of CRT and all of the issues surrounding it.

Go preach that shizz in Appalachia. Yeah! We got it MADE here!! Get to work every day! In the coal mines, and develop black lung. Then have the entire Democratic establishment vow to make your family even poorer. Everyone gets effed by the elites. If you don't understand that, you're too dumb to procreate. ( ps. The CRT that you people SWEAR is NOT being taught in schools? GO eff yourself. Or better yet, live as you preach to us. Quit your job so a deserving POC can have it instead. Give them your house and your car while your at it. Yeah. Didn't think so )
This is a nonsensical response, but if what you are saying is that jobs suck in the mountains and you live there, move. I've never advocated giving up what you earned. I have advocated acknowledging that others have worked hard with less opportunities. I don't understand why so many white people get defensive of that. No one is saying people haven't earned what they have. People are saying other people have worked hard too, but have barriers. No one is asking people to give up stuff, but the simpletons get defensive instead of thinking that more than one person can be correct in a discussion.

Reactions: TheJuddDome
Darryl Bishop was an outstanding defensive football player for the University of Kentucky, who still holds records for most career pass interceptions (14), most interception return yards (376) and most tackles by a defensive back (348).

But he also played an important role in Kentucky basketball history as he was the first black player to represent UK on the court. Bishop was a member of the 1969-70 UK freshman basketball team and made his debut on 6-DEC-1969 in a game vs. Cincinnati. He went on to be the third leading scorer for the freshman team that year, averaging 13.9 ppg.

This should not be surprising as Bishop was a High School Parade All-American in both football and basketball, and was an all-state basketball player at Louisville Seneca HS.

While Bishop chose to concentrate on football at UK, he did play varsity basketball for UK (along with another football player Elmore Stephens) for a short time during Rupp's last season as coach, during a time when the Wildcat roster had been decimated with injuries.

Darryl Bishop (Varsity) UK Basketball Stats

JP, the way you worded your title got me curious. He was indeed the first black person, male or female? I’ve never followed womens sports that close. Frankly in those days there wasn’t a lot of womens sports.

The wealthy and powerful will always get some advantages the rest of us don't if that's what you mean by rigged. I do believe almost anything is possible if you wanna work hard enough for it though.
Well, there will always be exceptional breakthroughs for those with great minds, the willingness to work hard, and the luck and circumstances to overcome shitty environmental conditions in which they are born (i.e. good parents). But I’m talking about a middle class writ large that has evaporated due to structural changes in the economy that now favors and promotes only the interests of capital and a political system that is beholden to it, both of our silly political parties being at fault. I could go on but I won’t. My point is just hard work alone will not cut given today’s economy.

Well, there will always be exceptional breakthroughs for those with great minds, the willingness to work hard, and the luck and circumstances to overcome shitty environmental conditions in which they are born (i.e. good parents). But I’m talking about a middle class writ large that has evaporated due to structural changes in the economy that now favors and promotes only the interests of capital and a political system that is beholden to it, both of our silly political parties being at fault. I could go on but I won’t. My point is just hard work alone will not cut given today’s economy.
I am definitely having to help my kids more than I was helped entering the real world. Even with me paying about 75 percent of their undergrad college costs they still came out with some debt. My daughter's husband came out with much more due to lack of parental assistance. Couple the debt with the cost of cars, gas, housing, medical care, and a couple of kids and.....they are scraping by with some help from me.
The cost of education, healthcare, and daycare/childcare is what is keeping them economically shackled.
Those are three areas I think we could move more in Europe's direction that would benefit our entire society. So many families are breaking up and/or under extreme stress due to those issues right now. It's bad for our children, families and entire society at the end of the day.

Reactions: TheJuddDome
JP, the way you worded your title got me curious. He was indeed the first black person, male or female? I’ve never followed womens sports that close. Frankly in those days there wasn’t a lot of womens sports.

Good question. I worded it that way to account for fact that Bishop represented UK on the freshman team, as opposed to the varsity team. As most people know freshmen were ineligible to play varsity at the time. FWIW, my website I only formally track statistics for varsity players. Bishop is on there because he played on the varsity basketball team later in his career at UK.

But in large part because I got tired of people asking about relatives and people they knew who claimed to have played for UK and wondering why they weren't listed on my site, I did put together a mini-website devoted specifically to freshman and JV teams at UK.

History of Kentucky Freshmen and JV Teams

Unlike my main website, these pages are not driven by a database, they're just links to screenshots of various rosters, photos and statistics which I've found, mainly in old UK media guides, and the information is incomplete.

As far as women's basketball at UK and in particular its history of integration of the women's basketball team, I admit that's something I never really looked at before.

As some may know, the UK women's team actually preceded the men's team. There were many years of women's teams in the early part of the 20th century until the sport was banned from being played by the University Senate in 1924 because it was considered 'too strenuous' for girls to play. That was all well before integration of the school.

As far as modern times, per Wikipedia there was a team in 1968-69 which went 1-1, and then later starting in 1971-72 season Sue Feamster coached the team as an Independent (up until 1975-76, after which Debbie Yow took over as coach) but per the media guide they didn't attain varsity status until 1974.

In the women's media guide, in their year-by-year results the first team they show is the 1974-75 team, so clearly they're missing information and statistics for teams from prior to that season. Looking at the team photos, there doesn't appear to be any black players on the 1974-75 squad but there was Noreen White on the 1975-76 team. In subsequent years other black players (Debbie Oden 1976-77 & 1977-78, Tanya Fogle & Debra Oden 1978-79, Debra Oden, Valerie Still, Tanya Fole, Van Harden, and Cathy Barber 1979-80 team).

early_womens_teams_photos.jpg

So maybe Noreen White was the first? Hard to say with any certainty without looking for earlier records.

Actually, searching for this name is the following article which interviews Nareen White-Washington and says she was indeed the first black woman to play basketball for UK. She later transferred to Eastern Kentucky University.

Link to Article from last year on Nareen White-Washington

Last edited:
Reactions: AustinTXCat
Good question. I worded it that way to account for fact that Bishop represented UK on the freshman team, as opposed to the varsity team. As most people know freshmen were ineligible to play varsity at the time. FWIW, my website I only formally track statistics for varsity players. Bishop is on there because he played on the varsity basketball team later in his career at UK.

But in large part because I got tired of people asking about relatives and people they knew who claimed to have played for UK and wondering why they weren't listed on my site, I did put together a mini-website devoted specifically to freshman and JV teams at UK.

Unlike my main website, these pages are not driven by a database, they're just links to screenshots of various rosters, photos and statistics which I've found, mainly in old UK media guides, and the information is incomplete.

As far as women's basketball at UK and in particular its history of integration of the women's basketball team, I admit that's something I never really looked at before.

As some may know, the UK women's team actually preceded the men's team. There were many years of women's teams in the early part of the 20th century until the sport was banned from being played by the University Senate in 1924 because it was considered 'too strenuous' for girls to play. That was all well before integration of the school.

As far as modern times, per Wikipedia there was a team in 1968-69 which went 1-1, and then later starting in 1971-72 season Sue Feamster coached the team as an Independent (up until 1975-76, after which Debbie Yow took over as coach) but per the media guide they didn't attain varsity status until 1974.

In the women's media guide, in their year-by-year results the first team they show is the 1974-75 team, so clearly they're missing information and statistics for teams from prior to that season. Looking at the team photos, there doesn't appear to be any black players on the 1974-75 squad but there was Noreen White on the 1975-76 team. In subsequent years other black players (Debbie Oden 1976-77 & 1977-78, Tanya Fogle & Debra Oden 1978-79, Debra Oden, Valerie Still, Tanya Fole, Van Harden, and Cathy Barber 1979-80 team).

early_womens_teams_photos.jpg

So maybe Noreen White was the first? Hard to say with any certainty without looking for earlier records.

Actually, searching for this name is the following article which interviews Nareen White-Washington and says she was indeed the first black woman to play basketball for UK. She later transferred to Eastern Kentucky University.

Link to Article from last year on Nareen White-Washington
Thank you for an impressively researched and excellently worded response. Valerie Still was the one name I could conjure from the cobwebs that might be a candidate. Sister of Art Still as I recall. The dates didn’t work out for her to be the first black player over all. Again, well done.

I love the way white people take a few famous black people out of context and use that to say that we should not talk about the way black people have been historically treated. If you watch the posted video, you can take it to say he doesn't want a month devoted to black history. But realistically, if you watch the whole thing, he is saying, white people need to treat us fairly 365 and not think giving us a month solves all of history's ills. It is infuriating to me when I hear white people say "when is white history month". White history is everyday, what your kids are being taught in schools. To hell with the native americans or the slaves, you are too young to learn about that. We don't want you to have to worry about what really ****ing happened.
The truth of the matter is that our all white male founding fathers and their progeny repeatedly and progressively stole the land from the indigenous people that is now the United States. Then, they herded up the remaining indigenous people and confined them into something they called “reservations“ where many remain today.

History is based on facts. However, what people in charge of our educational institutions choose to teach is a different matter. Growing up in the 50‘s and 60’s a significant amount of indigenous and African American history was absent. Not being exposed to such history leads to a lack of understanding and even worse, misunderstanding. American history is what is of course but for some classes of fellow citizens it is ugly.

The truth of the matter is that our all white male founding fathers and their progeny repeatedly and progressively stole the land from the indigenous people that is now the United States. Then, they herded up the remaining indigenous people and confined them into something they called “reservations“ where many remain today.

History is based on facts. However, what people in charge of our educational institutions choose to teach is a different matter. Growing up in the 50‘s and 60’s a significant amount of indigenous and African American history was absent. Not being exposed to such history leads to a lack of understanding and even worse, misunderstanding. American history is what is of course but for some classes of fellow citizens it is ugly.
Well said, and that history has a continuing legacy which needs to be exposed.

Reactions: Kampus Korner
This person doesn't understand critical race theory. It doesn't teach anyone to dislike another. It merely explains 200 years of oppression and why some folks are not in the same spot. Sure, has someone made it out and become a doctor, yes. But let's compare statistics of percentage of minorities, doesn't have to be black, and what percentage of them have professional jobs vs. whites. To say minorities haven't been oppressed and it hasn't affected every generation since this country was founded is naïve. Where you are confused is that alot of white people thinks that means they didn't earn what they have. No one is saying that. It is not us vs. them. We can all live together and acknowledge that someone got screwed without saying you are the one that screwed them.
Mamy people who oppose the teaching of critical race theory don’t know or don’t want to know what it is. This ignorance, intentional or otherwise, is at the crux of much of the racial divide in this nation. I’m a 72 year old white guy. It has only been in the last year or so that I discovered that the history which was authorized to be taught to me glorified or glossed over some pretty bad shit by our white elected officials while minimizing or outright ignoring the plight and/or accomplishments of African Americans, Indians, Women and other minorities.

Until March of last year, I never heard of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre where 35 square blocks of the African American section of Tulsa was burned to the ground with estimates of 150-300 African Americans murdered. But, Tulsa wasn’t the only city where African American sections of cities were destroyed in the early 1900’s. There were numerous such atrocities. https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2021/06/01/tulsa-race-massacres-silence-schools/

I don’t know what history they are teaching kids today but I hope it’s more accurate and complete than what I was taught.

Reactions: J_Dee
Mamy people who oppose the teaching of critical race theory don’t know or don’t want to know what it is. This ignorance, intentional or otherwise, is at the crux of much of the racial divide in this nation. I’m a 72 year old white guy. It has only been in the last year or so that I discovered that the history which was authorized to be taught to me glorified or glossed over some pretty bad shit by our white elected officials while minimizing or outright ignoring the plight and/or accomplishments of African Americans, Indians, Women and other minorities.

Until March of last year, I never heard of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre where 35 square blocks of the African American section of Tulsa was burned to the ground with estimates of 150-300 African Americans murdered. But, Tulsa wasn’t the only city where African American sections of cities were destroyed in the early 1900’s. There were numerous such atrocities. https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2021/06/01/tulsa-race-massacres-silence-schools/

I don’t know what history they are teaching kids today but I hope it’s more accurate and complete than what I was taught.

Without getting into it much, you’ve been highly politicized without knowing it. As someone with advanced degrees in social sciences which touch on all sorts of social topics, I can tell you first hand that all racial groups of all kinds have been terrible to one another. It’s not a white condition, it’s a HUMAN condition. Africans have been horrible to many races including their own, and as a matter of fact no one dislikes African Americans as much as modern Africans. I was blown away by how they view the American spectrum today.

The University of Memphis held an African Awareness Summit a few years back and I was blown away, as were some of my colleagues, at just how much Africans view African Americans with contempt. They see the opportunity that has arisen from the global slave trade today as a positive for modern Black Americans. Many that came to speak touched directly on this, calling out Black Americans as victim seekers. The statistics they brought were eye opening, and showed that Black Americans today, as a group, have more opportunity than the countries which the speakers were visiting from. It actually got to the point where Memphis wanted to end the awareness summit early because it was not going the way they thought it was going to go.

Have you ever traveled to Mexico? The racism against black tones there is brutal. We can go as far back as the indigenous peoples rule in America and see absolute brutality toward Indian tribes of lesser power. People tend to view the indigenous as peaceful when in fact, like all cultures and social constructs of race, they practiced some of the most egregious forms of violence the world has seen.

My point is American politics have created a world in the US where we want to stop exploring the conditions of the world’s cultures at the slave trade. And of course, that’s because it’s centered toward creating victims and oppressors instead of what it should be. Total history regardless.

As someone who also worked with many poor families in my undergrad days, I also think we’re simply repeating history. White hate is an acceptable form of bigotry today, and that cycle will lead to the same consequences we’ve seen once a nation of “minority majorities” come to power. As someone who’s not white, I feel I can say this without being labeled and although I hold back somewhat, I think it’s important. People ahould not set their future grandchildren up to live in a world where it is acceptable to hate them. It is our job not to use cutoffs of historical relevance and use it to “pick the evil groups”. I feel many white Americans today think it’s politically beneficial but in the end they too will be lumped into the same groups they helped breed hate toward. This has already happened and it’s another reason we should teach all of history, not just history designed to be politically beneficial.

Also, Black Americans would not have the freedoms they have today without your generations contributions. Liberating black Americans was not a popular concept in this world during the 1950’s. Yet they did it anyway. And we are in a far better place if we would just accept that and continue to work toward a better future, not a politically expedient one.

Reactions: Lamar Card

Jon, thanks for putting that page together. I located an acquaintance who played on the UK 1973-1974 Junior Varsity team.

Last edited:
Without getting into it much, you’ve been highly politicized without knowing it. As someone with advanced degrees in social sciences which touch on all sorts of social topics, I can tell you first hand that all racial groups of all kinds have been terrible to one another. It’s not a white condition, it’s a HUMAN condition. Africans have been horrible to many races including their own, and as a matter of fact no one dislikes African Americans as much as modern Africans. I was blown away by how they view the American spectrum today.

The University of Memphis held an African Awareness Summit a few years back and I was blown away, as were some of my colleagues, at just how much Africans view African Americans with contempt. They see the opportunity that has arisen from the global slave trade today as a positive for modern Black Americans. Many that came to speak touched directly on this, calling out Black Americans as victim seekers. The statistics they brought were eye opening, and showed that Black Americans today, as a group, have more opportunity than the countries which the speakers were visiting from. It actually got to the point where Memphis wanted to end the awareness summit early because it was not going the way they thought it was going to go.

Have you ever traveled to Mexico? The racism against black tones there is brutal. We can go as far back as the indigenous peoples rule in America and see absolute brutality toward Indian tribes of lesser power. People tend to view the indigenous as peaceful when in fact, like all cultures and social constructs of race, they practiced some of the most egregious forms of violence the world has seen.

My point is American politics have created a world in the US where we want to stop exploring the conditions of the world’s cultures at the slave trade. And of course, that’s because it’s centered toward creating victims and oppressors instead of what it should be. Total history regardless.

As someone who also worked with many poor families in my undergrad days, I also think we’re simply repeating history. White hate is an acceptable form of bigotry today, and that cycle will lead to the same consequences we’ve seen once a nation of “minority majorities” come to power. As someone who’s not white, I feel I can say this without being labeled and although I hold back somewhat, I think it’s important. People ahould not set their future grandchildren up to live in a world where it is acceptable to hate them. It is our job not to use cutoffs of historical relevance and use it to “pick the evil groups”. I feel many white Americans today think it’s politically beneficial but in the end they too will be lumped into the same groups they helped breed hate toward. This has already happened and it’s another reason we should teach all of history, not just history designed to be politically beneficial.

Also, Black Americans would not have the freedoms they have today without your generations contributions. Liberating black Americans was not a popular concept in this world during the 1950’s. Yet they did it anyway. And we are in a far better place if we would just accept that and continue to work toward a better future, not a politically expedient one.
Are you saying that teaching kids CRT teaches them to hate white people?

I don’t disagree with your points. It’s certainly proven over the millennia that there must be something within the human DNA or psyche that a majority of like human beings within the confines of a given geographical boundary favor helping one another and are less concerned or not concerned at all about helping those not like them. .While this appears to be human destiny, it does not mean that the we should stop our efforts at honestly educating our young folk about the history of our country.

Our country has many wonderful attributes and is often viewed by other people in the world as the bastion of freedom and democracy. Yet, as with all human beings we have had and have our faults. No country is perfect. It is more consistent with the core values which underpin our country’s guiding legal document, the Constitution, to be honest and accurate when history is taught to our young even if it means sharing some history which is ugly but true. We will have a better educated population and hopefully less risk of future generations repeating our mistakes.

As someone who also worked with many poor families in my undergrad days, I also think we’re simply repeating history. White hate is an acceptable form of bigotry today, and that cycle will lead to the same consequences we’ve seen once a nation of “minority majorities” come to power. As someone who’s not white, I feel I can say this without being labeled and although I hold back somewhat, I think it’s important. People ahould not set their future grandchildren up to live in a world where it is acceptable to hate them. It is our job not to use cutoffs of historical relevance and use it to “pick the evil groups”. I feel many white Americans today think it’s politically beneficial but in the end they too will be lumped into da coming fy yy ytt t t your y u the same groups they helped breed hate toward. This has already happened and it’s another reason we should teach all of history, not just history designed to be politically beneficial.

Also, Black Americans would not have the freedoms they have today without your generations contributions. Liberating black Americans was not a popular concept in this world during the 1950’s. Ty freew Yet they did it anyway. And we are in a far better place if we would just accept that and continue to work toward a better future, not a politically expedient one.

You are so full of shit. So I see you googled how to criticize CRT, logged on to the KKK and CPAC websites and copied and pasted their talking points. Or, you watched a Ben Shapiro youtube video.
One, I highly doubt you have several advanced degrees in anything. But if you do, you might want to ask for your money back. Your skewed reasoning above is tantamount to its “ok if men beat their wives, because they’ve historically done it.”
Second, your discussion above is based on the faulty
premise that CRT teaches hate; it does not. And that is where you have been politicized and are complicit in the use of this as a right wing politics strawman.
Finally, I suspect you are about as non-white as the back of my ass.
Try harder next time.

You are so full of shit. So I see you googled how to criticize CRT, logged on to the KKK and CPAC websites and copied and pasted their talking points. Or, you watched a Ben Shapiro youtube video.
One, I highly doubt you have several advanced degrees in anything. But if you do, you might want to ask for your money back. Your skewed reasoning above is tantamount to its “ok if men beat their wives, because they’ve historically done it.”
Second, your discussion above is based on the faulty
premise that CRT teaches hate; it does not. And that is where you have been politicized and are complicit in the use of this as a right wing politics strawman.
Finally, I suspect you are about as non-white as the back of my ass.
Try harder next time.
Oh , and one last thing Grom, the next time you are “allegedly” in Memphis, I would suggest you check out the Civiil Rights Museum and then reflect on your attitude.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT