ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino says he regrets what he told the team right before the Laettener shot

The story I remember hearing was that Pitino wanted to double team Laettner with Pelphrey and Feldhaus. One in front and one behind him. They were confused on who was supposed to be where, and both ended up behind Laettner so he had a free look at the pass from Hill. And CBS STILL has that clip as part of their CBB intro to this day. 🤮

Just for fun:

Tim Higgins, Charles Range, and Tom Clark were the refs. Range was the one who called Laettner for the tech but didn't toss him even though it was clearly an unsportsmanlike foul when the ball was dead, which warranted ejection. It was the last UK game Range ever officiated.

I was so stressed during that game that I kept dashing out to my back porch to try to calm down. I'll always feel bad for the UK players and coaches, especially Pitino.

Officiating was awful in that regional.

TBH we got a little help getting there too. That technical called on Cal was one of the worst I've ever seen. Out of the box in a 2 point game with 5 mins left...lol.

I mean I was thrilled at the time but if we are being honest it was a terrible call. Iirc correctly UMass had cut down a 20+ point lead and we were reeling. That call was a lifesaver.

Reactions: J_Dee
I'd love to have won it but soon after I could sense that in a lot of ways that team was more revered and immortalized (not just by UK fans) in defeat and the way they fought than they may have in victory.
This is a great point. That was our “Rocky.”

That is life and man is that crazy.

It is weird (not in a bad way) to look at stuff that way. Someone who was my age (44) in 1992 would have been born in 1948 and is now mid-70's. Life is short. As long ago as that shot was, it simply doesn't feel like it to me.

I want to add to my own post because this is crazy and just thought about it. I can definitively remember sitting by my Dad's stack of audio equipment in '93 season listening as we got hammered by Vandy and Christian McCaffrey's uncle right after we got to #1 for the first time in many many seasons. It was one of RP's worst losses once he'd gotten UK back to being UK.

The fact that was 30 years ago is mind boggling. For guys my age I think part of it (meaning how it is hard to believe how long ago it was) is the acceleration of technology in the mid to late 90's....early '00's. We really grew up in an amazing time. Nothing has really changed since then, it's just gotten faster.

There is no generation who can say they've seen the changes we've had in terms of innovation. Grew up in a time where you wrote phone numbers down and stuck them in your wallet and a couple years later were messaging from a cell phone. The internet...hell the changes from my Freshman year of college to Senior Year were astonishing. Wild stuff. It is sort of like a time warp and it happened so rapidly.

Reactions: sportspm
I'll agree Pitino overall coached a good game. I'll agree we all should move on. I'll agree he doesn't need to beat himself up.

But you can't make the case he did everything right -- because the contradiction is right in your post. If your biggest concern is letting Laettner beat you with two foul shots, to the point of emphasizing "don't foul!!" then there is even less reason to have two guys standing like statues afraid to foul him. Put one guy in front of him making the pass hard to receive but very unlikely to foul from in front of him, and one guy on the ball, making the pass hard to throw on a straight line.
Remember the Patrick Sparks game? The one thing he told his team was "don't foul," but they did foul Sparks and the rest is history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT