ADVERTISEMENT

Darryl Bishop, first black person to play basketball for UK has passed...

JPScott

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2001
Darryl Bishop was an outstanding defensive football player for the University of Kentucky, who still holds records for most career pass interceptions (14), most interception return yards (376) and most tackles by a defensive back (348).

But he also played an important role in Kentucky basketball history as he was the first black player to represent UK on the court. Bishop was a member of the 1969-70 UK freshman basketball team and made his debut on 6-DEC-1969 in a game vs. Cincinnati. He went on to be the third leading scorer for the freshman team that year, averaging 13.9 ppg.

This should not be surprising as Bishop was a High School Parade All-American in both football and basketball, and was an all-state basketball player at Louisville Seneca HS.

While Bishop chose to concentrate on football at UK, he did play varsity basketball for UK (along with another football player Elmore Stephens) for a short time during Rupp's last season as coach, during a time when the Wildcat roster had been decimated with injuries.

Darryl Bishop (Varsity) UK Basketball Stats

Last edited:
The closing seconds of the Vandy game in 71 IIRC.

Yeah, here's the Louisville Courier-Journal newspaper article from 7-NOV-1971.

19711107_UK_beats_Vandy1.jpg

19711107_UK_beats_Vandy2.jpg

Wow, he was a true trailblazer, and I appreciate you posting this because I never knew that piece of history about the Freshman basketball team. His time here was successful on the field and on the court, but I’m sure the journey itself was anything but easy traveling through the SEC at that time. RIP.

Darryl Bishop was an outstanding defensive football player for the University of Kentucky, who still holds records for most career pass interceptions (14), most interception return yards (376) and most tackles by a defensive back (348).

But he also played an important role in Kentucky basketball history as he was the first black player to represent UK on the court. Bishop was a member of the 1969-70 UK freshman basketball team and made his debut on 6-DEC-1969 in a game vs. Cincinnati. He went on to be the third leading scorer for the freshman team that year, averaging 13.9 ppg.

This should not be surprising as Bishop was a High School Parade All-American in both football and basketball, and was an all-state basketball player at Louisville Seneca HS.

While Bishop chose to concentrate on football at UK, he did play varsity basketball for UK (along with another football player Elmore Stephens) for a short time during Rupp's last season as coach, during a time when the Wildcat roster had been decimated with injuries.

Darryl Bishop (Varsity) UK Basketball Stats

Really hard to believe that the first black basketball player in the SEC was in 1967 and the first at UK was in the early 70's. That is exactly one lifetime ago of a person who is in their mid fifties today.
And people act like all that racial inequality just vanished overnight in America and black people are just whining when they complain about it's existence.

And we let Tom Payne on the radio instead of celebrating guys like this… awful.
EDIT: I hate Tom Payne forever for taking away from the universal adoration and recognition a MAN like Bishop should have… and of course I despise him for what he did three times. Speaking as a father, Tom Payne should be under the jail, rotting.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManitouDan
EDIT: I hate Tom Payne forever for taking away from the universal adoration and recognition a MAN like Bishop should have… and of course I despise him for what he did three times. Speaking as a father, Tom Payne should be under the jail, rotting.
So, you don’t believe in forgiving someone who’s paid his price to society?

Reactions: Burger-n-Shake
Really hard to believe that the first black basketball player in the SEC was in 1967 and the first at UK was in the early 70's. That is exactly one lifetime ago of a person who is in their mid fifties today.
And people act like all that racial inequality just vanished overnight in America and black people are just whining when they complain about it's existence.
Just for you!!

Yeah. Rupp would have played black kids earlier if it wasn’t for the SEC.

To say there is no racism is just as ignorant as calling everything racist.
The movement towards "post racism" in America has brought out the cockroaches on both sides of this issue. The BLM opportunists who are profiting off of the notion that ALL cops are racists and the racist fools parading Confederate flags thru the Capitol building and marching in Charlottesville are two sides of the same coin.
The only way to move forward is being honest and recognizing the difference between what is racist vs what is BS.
My point with my original post was that it wasn't that long ago a black person couldn't even play bball on an SEC team. That is a fact.

Don't let your blood pressure get the best of you Bishop and Stephens were both persons of interest in a murder/drug deal that involved a body being dumped in the river in Lou.

If memory serves me correctly, (big if) one of his interceptions he returned for a touchdown at or very near the end of a game (maybe Vandy) to get a victory. Great player, very impressive stats.
Yes it was at Vandy and I was there. My father had wanted to leave as it was very cold and raining but I insisted that we stay because it was only the second time I had ever seen a UK game in perso. 40+ years later that still is the most exciting play I have seen.

Reactions: ukdesi
So, you don’t believe in forgiving someone who’s paid his price to society?
Payne served three sentences for rape, in georgia, kentucky and california. he’s been on parole for the last three years after serving time for parole violation upon returning to ky from california in 2000. how many times do you believe he should be forgiven?

Last edited:
Reactions: EliteBlue
Tom Payne was the first black to play bball at UK. He played at UK in fall semester in 1969. Freshmen team as a freshmen were not playing varsity at that time in history. He lived in Holmes hall where the bball players were housed at that time

Last edited:
If memory serves me correctly, (big if) one of his interceptions he returned for a touchdown at or very near the end of a game (maybe Vandy) to get a victory. Great player, very impressive stats.
Yes. I was there for that game.

The movement towards "post racism" in America has brought out the cockroaches on both sides of this issue. The BLM opportunists who are profiting off of the notion that ALL cops are racists and the racist fools parading Confederate flags thru the Capitol building and marching in Charlottesville are two sides of the same coin.
The only way to move forward is being honest and recognizing the difference between what is racist vs what is BS.
My point with my original post was that it wasn't that long ago a black person couldn't even play bball on an SEC team. That is a fact.
Let me tell you a true story how you are right and wrong at the same time...my oldest granddaughter who is mixed had a crush on a white boy in her 1st grade class. One of her friends, who is black, told my granddaughter that she couldn't like him because he "doesn't look like you". Totally confused and upset, my granddaughter goes home and is upset telling her mom what happened. Making a long story short my daughter straightened her out with our family makeup details. My granddaughter goes to school the next day and straightens the little girl out. Tell me who's teaching the racism here?
As far as how long blacks have been able to play ball in the sec and to quote one of your phony woke heros..." at this point, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE!" It is a story now only if someone tries to put a stop to it. As MF said, stop talking about it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lamar Card
Once again...

I love the way white people take a few famous black people out of context and use that to say that we should not talk about the way black people have been historically treated. If you watch the posted video, you can take it to say he doesn't want a month devoted to black history. But realistically, if you watch the whole thing, he is saying, white people need to treat us fairly 365 and not think giving us a month solves all of history's ills. It is infuriating to me when I hear white people say "when is white history month". White history is everyday, what your kids are being taught in schools. To hell with the native americans or the slaves, you are too young to learn about that. We don't want you to have to worry about what really ****ing happened.

Let me tell you a true story how you are right and wrong at the same time...my oldest granddaughter who is mixed had a crush on a white boy in her 1st grade class. One of her friends, who is black, told my granddaughter that she couldn't like him because he "doesn't look like you". Totally confused and upset, my granddaughter goes home and is upset telling her mom what happened. Making a long story short my daughter straightened her out with our family makeup details. My granddaughter goes to school the next day and straightens the little girl out. Tell me who's teaching the racism here?
As far as how long blacks have been able to play ball in the sec and to quote one of your phony woke heros..." at this point, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE!" It is a story now only if someone tries to put a stop to it. As MF said, stop talking about it!
This is how it is supposed to work, right? So rational people taught a few kids a lesson. No one taught racism, everyone involved taught tolerance. The fact that people use these anecdotes to defend racism is heartbreaking.

This is how it is supposed to work, right? So rational people taught a few kids a lesson. No one taught racism, everyone involved taught tolerance. The fact that people use these anecdotes to defend racism is heartbreaking.
Really? Where/from whom did the little girl get the idea that my granddaughter can't like who she wants because "they don't look like her?"

Really? Where/from whom did the little girl get the idea that my granddaughter can't like who she wants because "they don't look like her?"
Maybe from tv, maybe from a racist uncle, who the **** knows. But that anecdote shows how it is supposed to work. It doesn't support being racist now. If your response is "some black people don't like white people, so it is OK for white people to be mean to black people", you need to think about it a bit, because you are wrong.

Reactions: TheJuddDome
This person doesn't understand critical race theory. It doesn't teach anyone to dislike another. It merely explains 200 years of oppression and why some folks are not in the same spot. Sure, has someone made it out and become a doctor, yes. But let's compare statistics of percentage of minorities, doesn't have to be black, and what percentage of them have professional jobs vs. whites. To say minorities haven't been oppressed and it hasn't affected every generation since this country was founded is naïve. Where you are confused is that alot of white people thinks that means they didn't earn what they have. No one is saying that. It is not us vs. them. We can all live together and acknowledge that someone got screwed without saying you are the one that screwed them.

Maybe from tv, maybe from a racist uncle, who the **** knows. But that anecdote shows how it is supposed to work. It doesn't support being racist now. If your response is "some black people don't like white people, so it is OK for white people to be mean to black people", you need to think about it a bit, because you are wrong.
Just trying to show hateful morons that it's a two way street and it's not just "whitey " lis bad like you certainly seem to be insuating ! You're hopeless.

This person doesn't understand critical race theory. It doesn't teach anyone to dislike another. It merely explains 200 years of oppression and why some folks are not in the same spot. Sure, has someone made it out and become a doctor, yes. But let's compare statistics of percentage of minorities, doesn't have to be black, and what percentage of them have professional jobs vs. whites. To say minorities haven't been oppressed and it hasn't affected every generation since this country was founded is naïve. Where you are confused is that alot of white people thinks that means they didn't earn what they have. No one is saying that. It is not us vs. them. We can all live together and acknowledge that someone got screwed without saying you are the one that screwed them.

Go preach that shizz in Appalachia. Yeah! We got it MADE here!! Get to work every day! In the coal mines, and develop black lung. Then have the entire Democratic establishment vow to make your family even poorer. Everyone gets effed by the elites. If you don't understand that, you're too dumb to procreate. ( ps. The CRT that you people SWEAR is NOT being taught in schools? GO eff yourself. Or better yet, live as you preach to us. Quit your job so a deserving POC can have it instead. Give them your house and your car while your at it. Yeah. Didn't think so )

Go preach that shizz in Appalachia. Yeah! We got it MADE here!! Get to work every day! In the coal mines, and develop black lung. Then have the entire Democratic establishment vow to make your family even poorer. Everyone gets effed by the elites. If you don't understand that, you're too dumb to procreate. ( ps. The CRT that you people SWEAR is NOT being taught in schools? GO eff yourself. Or better yet, live as you preach to us. Quit your job so a deserving POC can have it instead. Give them your house and your car while your at it. Yeah. Didn't think so )
Wow, there’s a lot to digest in your rant.
First, why are you so angry?
Second, what does CRT and race relations have to do with Appalachia’s specific economics?
Third, who and what is a deserving POC?

I’ll hang up and listen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT