ADVERTISEMENT

Dan ISSEL…just how good was he?

Gromcat

All-American
Jun 29, 2021
Gonna try and start a thing. Rex was first, let’s look at Big Dan. For those that saw it live, just how good was he? I remember him from childhood vaguely with the nuggets. Of course, wasn’t close to seeing him at UK. We hear a lot about those guys not being able to keep up today, so for those that saw it in real time, just how dominant was he?

Correction, I don’t remember seeing him play for the nuggets. I was born the year he retired. But we’ve got a lot of memorabilia and I just grew up around it so I remember a lot of his pro stuff.

pretty much unstoppable his senior year
had a great fadeaway jump shot and used the back board on a lot of his shots
not a great athlete, but a great basketball player
He was the all time leading scorer in UK history, not sure if he still is

He still is.

Wonder how people think he would stack up today.

In one game early in Issel’s career, his teammates were neglecting to give him the ball, so Rupp called a timeout. According to Sports Illustrated, the coach bellowed, “This guy is going to be Kentucky’s all-time leading scorer by the time he’s through here. I thought you might like to meet him.”

Hey Cow, that's player evaluation skills for ya (not that you would know anything about that). Maybe educate some of your ignorant players about this man instead of them trying to get his name removed from his arena and also about UK legends such as Dan Issel.

^^^ damn.

i don’t believe my father has any game used UK memorabilia from ISSEL. Need to check.

Really wondering from some young timers that say him live in college how he would atack
Up against, say, a guy like Cousins, or Towns etc. players today.

Reactions: Johnfarrel
It takes one post about Dan Issel to bring up John Calipari. This board would make a remarkable case study in obsession.

Anyhow, Issel was way before my time but I've seen a lot of old tape on him. Hell of a player. He and the Pistol were clearly the class of the SEC in the late '60's.

Just a great great player. Strong as a mule. He played for the Colonels and won a championship there.

I saw an interview with Jabbar once and he said the player he most hated to play against was Issel.

Issel would thrive in today’s game. He was a stretch 4 before anyone knew what a stretch 4 was.

When the NBA did the top 50 of 50 years 25 years ago there were many players that played in his era saying he should be in that 50.

He’s UK’s all time scoring and rebounding leader. And only played like 85 games.

As bnewt said above, Big Dan had an incredible jump shot. Straight up, fade away, whatever. He deadly up to about 20-feet out. Don’t remember him taking very many 3-pointers as a pro.

He also had what he called “an 8th grade head fake”.
And it worked.

As a kid growing up in Louisville, a highlight was Kentucky Colonels games on a Friday or Saturday night!!

Just how good was Big Dan?
He’s STILL 12th on the all-time scoring list (ABA points INCLUDED)
The 11 men in front of him?
1 LaBron
2 Jabbar
3 Karl Malone
4 Kobe
5 Michael
6 Nowitzki
7 Wilt
8 Dr J (his ABA points incl)
9 Moses Malone
10 Shaq
11 Carmelo
12 Big Dan

Not bad company.

He was a poor mans Larry Bird before Bird, not saying he was as good but the guy just knew how to play and score

Issel is the first head on our Mt Rushmore of players. His UK career was before my time, but, I saw his last 6-7 years as a pro. He’s a HOFer & made the all-time ABA team. He averaged 23/9/2/1/1 over 15 seasons in the ABA & NBA. He was top 15 on the all-time scoring list, combining both leagues, IIRC.

He made his living in the paint, but, was very crafty & could shoot it pretty well out to 18-20 ft. He could hit 3s, but, not at a great percentage. But, he had a nice repertoire of moves & could score in a variety of ways. Incredibly smart player who could really run the floor & somehow held his own at 6-8, 6-9 against some legendary big men. Probably bc he worked as hard as anyone in his era. Very good passer for a big, too. I saw the tail end of his career, when he was getting old, but, he was still effective.

I can still remember my dad telling me about “The Horse” & his legendary battles with Pistol Pete & his overall dominance at UK. Really wish I could’ve seen him at UK. On a side note, dad was friends with Benny Spears, of Ashland, who was in the same FR class as Issel at UK & he’s told me a few stories of going out drinking with Spears & Issel during their time in college. Sounded like big Dan was an elite drinker, as well. 🤣

Issel was the real deal. He was a great scorer and rebounder and played against tough competition.
He was very versatile, could drive to the basket or back in for a turn around jump shot. Smart player who was really hard to defend.
I read somewhere that when he retired he was the NBA's 4th leading scorer behind on Wilt, Kareem and Dr J.
I'd say that's pretty good.

I can remember when the Kentucky Wildcats played the Jacksonville University Dolphins in 19 70.

COLUMBUS, Ohio, March 14 (AP)—Jacksonville continued its climb in major college basket ball today, upsetting Kentucky, 106‐100, in the National Colle giate Mideast regional final.

Rex Morgan scored 28 points and 7‐foot‐2‐inch Artis Gilmore made 24 points and seized 20 rebounds to spark the Dolphins into the N.C.A.A. semifinals next week against St. Bonaven ture at College Park, Md.

Top‐ranked Kentucky, suffer ing only its second loss against 26 triumphs, played the last 10 minutes without its all‐Ameri can, Dan Issel. The 6–8 Wild cat star fouled out after he had 28 points and 10 rebounds.

imn3KwD.jpg

Reactions: rupp876 and Gromcat
Saw Dan many times at UK and even more with the Colonels. He was the best to ever play at UK and it’s not very close. Had a great pro career in both leagues and to top it off he is a great person. There won’t be another to come through UK like him is my guess.

I was a senior in high school in 1970 and my sister (UK student) got me a student ID to attend the UK/LSU game: Issel vs. Maravich, with the colorful Lou Bello being one of the refs.

This was my first game in Memorial Coliseum, and I will never forget it. They both scored in the 40’s or 50’s, with UK winning the game.

Towards the end of the game Pistol Pete was dribbling near midcourt and motioned for Issel to come out and guard him. Dan smiled and went out to midcourt. Pete went up and drilled it from a few feet inside midcourt. Amazing game. Issel was a great player, but Pete was the best ball handler and passer I ever saw.

Went to high school with ol’ Dan. We spent a lot of time fishing down by Nestle lake and playing tennis. He was about as good at tennis as he was at basketball. He 6-loved my ass more times than I could count!

I often remember going to Ned’s diner and Dan would always get the R.C., black walnut ice cream float. It was an odd combination, but he swore he played better when having it the day of games. I was partial the root beer float myself. We had a lot of good memories together.

Jk.

Issel is the first head on our Mt Rushmore of players. His UK career was before my time, but, I saw his last 6-7 years as a pro. He’s a HOFer & made the all-time ABA team. He averaged 23/9/2/1/1 over 15 seasons in the ABA & NBA. He was top 15 on the all-time scoring list, combining both leagues, IIRC.

He made his living in the paint, but, was very crafty & could shoot it pretty well out to 18-20 ft. He could hit 3s, but, not at a great percentage. But, he had a nice repertoire of moves & could score in a variety of ways. Incredibly smart player who could really run the floor & somehow held his own at 6-8, 6-9 against some legendary big men. Probably bc he worked as hard as anyone in his era. Very good passer for a big, too. I saw the tail end of his career, when he was getting old, but, he was still effective.

I can still remember my dad telling me about “The Horse” & his legendary battles with Pistol Pete & his overall dominance at UK. Really wish I could’ve seen him at UK. On a side note, dad was friends with Benny Spears, of Ashland, who was in the same FR class as Issel at UK & he’s told me a few stories of going out drinking with Spears & Issel during their time in college. Sounded like big Dan was an elite drinker, as well. 🤣

I’ve always thought he wasn’t someone you’d want to leave ur girl around too long in those days 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I can remember when the Kentucky Wildcats played the Jacksonville University Dolphins in 19 70.

COLUMBUS, Ohio, March 14 (AP)—Jacksonville continued its climb in major college basket ball today, upsetting Kentucky, 106‐100, in the National Colle giate Mideast regional final.

Rex Morgan scored 28 points and 7‐foot‐2‐inch Artis Gilmore made 24 points and seized 20 rebounds to spark the Dolphins into the N.C.A.A. semifinals next week against St. Bonaven ture at College Park, Md.

Top‐ranked Kentucky, suffer ing only its second loss against 26 triumphs, played the last 10 minutes without its all‐Ameri can, Dan Issel. The 6–8 Wild cat star fouled out after he had 28 points and 10 rebounds.

imn3KwD.jpg

The things I would do for those jerseys to go with my family memorabilia. Very nasty things. I’d be banned I won’t say more.

Reactions: Kycatspaws
What you have to realize is that Big Dan dominated on the boards, in the paint and 15 to 18 ft he was really good. if you went out to guard him high he would go around you and muscle he way to a layup and plus 1. also there was no 3 pt line back then. yes he is on a position in the top 5 of all time at kentucky

Reactions: Gromcat
@Gromcat How good was Issel? I pick him #1 if someone is asking me to pick a team from former UK players. My all time favorites are Ralph Beard and Bill Spivey but that was a different era.

When he retired from the NBA in 1985, only Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Julius Erving had scored more career points than Issel. He played in 86 games that he scored more than 30 points.

His career averages were over 20 ppg, 8 RBG, 2.5 APG and his field goal % was over 50% . One season he shot over 67% from the 3 point line. He hit more than 80% from the free throw line for a career. The man could shoot.

Everybody knows what he did at UK so no need to comment on that. In three years.

iu

Unstoppable until they got to the NCAA Regional Finals. Issel never went to a Final Four. But, then ... neither did my favorite U.K. player of all time - Cotton Nash.

How about this for a starting 5

The scoring ability of Dan
The defense of AD
The 3pt shooting of Tony Delk
The playmaking of John Wall
The versatility of Jamal Mashburn

Bring it on Duke, UCLA, Indiana, Louisville, Kansas, UConn, Michigan State, Arizona, Villanova, Georgetown, NC State, and any one else who wants an ass whoopin.

Reactions: ala_kat2
I was a senior in high school in 1970 and my sister (UK student) got me a student ID to attend the UK/LSU game: Issel vs. Maravich, with the colorful Lou Bello being one of the refs.

This was my first game in Memorial Coliseum, and I will never forget it. They both scored in the 40’s or 50’s, with UK winning the game.

Towards the end of the game Pistol Pete was dribbling near midcourt and motioned for Issel to come out and guard him. Dan smiled and went out to midcourt. Pete went up and drilled it from a few feet inside midcourt. Amazing game. Issel was a great player, but Pete was the best ball handler and passer I ever saw.
Saturday, January 24, 1970
Kentucky vs. LSU at Lexington
U.K. 109 – LSU 96
Issel – 35 points; 10 rebounds
Maravich – 55 points

Saturday, February 21, 1970
Kentucky vs. LSU at Baton Rouge
U.K. 121 – LSU 105
Issel – 51 points; 17 rebounds
Maravich – 64 points

(*compliments of Jon Scott)

Saturday, January 24, 1970
Kentucky vs. LSU at Lexington
U.K. 109 – LSU 96
Issel – 35 points; 10 rebounds
Maravich – 55 points

Saturday, February 21, 1970
Kentucky vs. LSU at Baton Rouge
U.K. 121 – LSU 105
Issel – 51 points; 17 rebounds
Maravich – 64 points

(*compliments of Jon Scott)

Oh to have been in the stands that evening. A Daffy Duck moment even.

Reactions: susan2361
I lived in Denver and went to many games when Dan played for the Nuggets. His epic battles with George Gervin for San Antonio were really fun to watch. Dan had a knack for seemingly always being in the right position for rebounds ala Rodman.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
For those that were around, genuinely curious...why was Issel drafted so low in draft? 122nd overall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT