ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

It was in 1977 that the Texas legislature proclaimed chili con carne to be the official state dish.

EsrYLUgWMAMzgBw

Austin, what are your feelings on beans in chili?? This is a serious question, of course. Personally, my wife's chili is killer and she uses beans. But, I'm not apposed to all meat either..... who would be??

Still overcast...and cold of course....here on the property. Been 3 or 4 days since I've seen the sun. Assume it's still there?

Like a couple others on here...didn't watch the game. Have only watched about 10 minutes this year. But I had gotten that way over the last 3-4 years....new faces, new team, don't how to play together....then I'd start to watch about this time of year. But after the kneeling.... Now I wait for my phone and email to blow up after the game.

So....today is 'hump day' for all you workers. When you're retired there is no 'hump' to the week. Each day runs into the next. So, happy 'hump day' to all.
OC, I have 6 Saturdays and a Sunday!!!!

Morning folks. The Cats busted their butts last night. In the second half too many fouls on one side of the ball. Then Alabama ran the score up at the end. That lack of sportsmanship will come back to bite their butts.

It is a cold 32.2°F but sunshine but supposedly a chance for snow flurries later on, topping out at 39°.

I am scheduled to get my shot Saturday morning. I actually look forward to getting it as Covid-19 looks for guys like me to kill.

Way to go, Bert.

Austin, what are your feelings on beans in chili?? This is a serious question, of course. Personally, my wife's chili is killer and she uses beans. But, I'm not apposed to all meat either..... who would be??

Speaking for myself, I'm not prejudiced, beans or no beans is good. When I was younger I preferred beans and my children will tell you to this day that they HATE beans!

All we need is a sunny day.......I can do 40 degrees and up...IF the fish are biting......

I had a 12' John boat and trolling motor I used to take on Fort Knox and I have had ice hanging from my line.... When I want to fish, I fish! (Don't want to fish much now BUT, If I was near an ocean I sure would still be fishing no matter the temp... I DO however like the warmer weather...)

Saw this stat on Twitter - Kentucky's combined total scoring margin in the first 36 minutes played of regulation in games this season: +18

Kentucky's combined total scoring margin in the final 4 minutes played of regulation in games this season: -35

Nobody wants to step up or has the ability to be the man. Plus TO's, they're just not a smart team.

Saw this stat on Twitter - Kentucky's combined total scoring margin in the first 36 minutes played of regulation in games this season: +18

Kentucky's combined total scoring margin in the final 4 minutes played of regulation in games this season: -35

Nobody wants to step up or has the ability to be the man. Plus TO's, they're just not a smart team.
OEC I think they are stepping up at the end of the game, just the wrong way. It's like whoever has the ball (BB) thinking I am going to win this game and watch me!!!!

OEC I think they are stepping up at the end of the game, just the wrong way. It's like whoever has the ball (BB) thinking I am going to win this game and watch me!!!!

And Cal called two great plays, coming out of time outs. We were up 2 and he called a play that gave Allen a wide open 3, which he missed. Then, they came out of a timeout and Mintz got a really nice look from the top of the key, which he missed. A couple of turnovers later, it was over.

Speaking for myself, I'm not prejudiced, beans or no beans is good. When I was younger I preferred beans and my children will tell you to this day that they HATE beans!
I prefer beans in my chili......red kidney & black beans...........growing up my mom put spaghetti in her chili......I didn't realize it was just an extender........I don't use any kind of pasta in my chili.....I made a pot the other day after reading along this topic.....I used ground beef, ground pork (praise the pig) and duck breast.......not too shabby at all........

It is with great sadness that I post that Railroad Cat passed away 1/26/2021 due to
complications of respiratory failure (non Covid related). He thought a lot of
you guys. Thanks for the smiles you brought to his face during his time on the
board. Wanda Shaw

Thank you for letting us know. I'm sure most of us will be praying for you during this difficult time. He was loved and respected on this board. He was a very valuable poster who will be missed. God Bless.

It is with great sadness that I post that Railroad Cat passed away 1/26/2021 due to
board. Wanda Shaw
Damn. What a blow. He struck me as a real gentleman. I grew up in a town that was a C&O switching yard along the Ohio River in northeast Kentucky. The men of my father's generation were railroaders. (My dad was an exception - he was a pipeline welder.) That was a strong breed of men. I will miss Railroadkat and hope his family finds comfort in the life he led.

board. Wanda Shaw
Prayers for all the family at this time.......

Matthew 5:4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Damn. What a blow. He struck me as a real gentleman. I grew up in a town that was a C&O switching yard along the Ohio River in northeast Kentucky. The men of my father's generation were railroaders. (My dad was an exception - he was a pipeline welder.) That was a strong breed of men. I will miss Railroadkat and hope his family finds comfort in the life he led.

Where in E. Ky did you grow up?

Haven't gone back in posts....did anyone know that he was having problems?

Edit: Just looked and he made a number of posts/likes on the 16th.

I know he had mentioned several different health issues, but he was a trooper and he never acted like they were that serious. He was a good poster and always looked at the glass as half full. His 2nd to last post was wishing me a Happy Birthday.

My wife the RN got her second vaccine late yesterday -- Moderna -- and it sent her temperature spiking to 102 and left her feeling exhausted. Meanwhile, my parents -- 85 and 89 -- got theirs and had no side effects whatsoever.

I guess it hits everyone differently. I'm still way down the list, so I won't know for a while.
My Youngest Son has had Covid and after his shot he felt worse than when he tested positive for Covid. I on the other hand haven't had it and had no side effects from the shot. They told me at the healthy department that people who had had Covid would normally have more side effects from the shot. Also have heard from a friend that her doctor said not to get the immunization right away since she had already had Covid, but to wait for a couple of months to take it.

It was more Northern Kentucky Ben. A town called Silver Grove, which was built around the old Stephens Yard of the C&O Railroad which closed in the late 1970s, after I'd left. Town of about 1,000 people, then and now.

I've heard of it. It's up in Campbell Co. Just wondered since we have a huge yard just up the street from us, in Raceland.

board. Wanda Shaw
Prayers for the family! Praying for God's comfort for all of You!

I've heard of it. It's up in Campbell Co. Just wondered since we have a huge yard just up the street from us, in Raceland.
Yeah. When I was a kid it was pretty isolated in rural Campbell County, but some road projects have tied it into the Cincy orbit.

Some of the families in my town came there from Greenup County in the late 1950s and early 1960s -- they may well have worked in that yard you are describing.

C&O apparently transferred them, or offered them jobs in the Stevens Yard. Anyway, the kids in those families, who had cousins in Greenup, were the kids I went to school with in the 1960s and early 1970s...

board. Wanda Shaw
My sincerest condolences. Such a shock. I had the utmost respect for Railroad. He never said an unkind word and was always positive no matter the situation. We should all live by the example he set in life.

God bless.

May God rest his soul.

Dang that hurts.
Because we love him.
0WQvUYFM_o.jpg

He has suffered enough. He is free, He is whole.
Blessings of Peace to all!
Where do Hearing Aids go when the wearer dies?
Aren't they normally donated to charity? Maybe they rent them out.
It was in 1977 that the Texas legislature proclaimed chili con carne to be the official state dish.
EsrYLUgWMAMzgBw
Saw this and made some elk chili today with black, kidney and pintos, a dozen jalapenos, 6 serranos, 2 poblanos, 2 habaneros.

Arizona-Unit-8-elk.jpg

I'm thinking the original Elk transplanted to Eastern Ky. were initially from the Arizona herd which were transplanted from the Yellowstone herd after extinction of the native Arizona Merriam Subspecies/ecotype. These animals are huge, I expect and larger than the extinct eastern elk subspecies genetically closer to the red deers (elk) of Europe. Our "moose" is known as "elk" in Europe. Anyway, those that survived the transplant and reproduce are ecologically adapted. We're good at this now. We learned a lot with re-establishing the extinct eastern North American Peregrine Falcon subspecies. btw. Without wolves to move the herds, they'll ecologically become government subsidized cows. Penned, elk are vulnerable to wolf (canine predation).

Because we love him.
0WQvUYFM_o.jpg

He has suffered enough. He is free, He is whole.
Blessings of Peace to all!
Aren't they normally donated to charity? Maybe they rent them out.
Saw this and made some elk chili today with black, kidney and pintos, a dozen jalapenos, 6 serranos, 2 poblanos, 2 habaneros.

Arizona-Unit-8-elk.jpg

I'm thinking the original Elk transplanted to Eastern Ky. were initially from the Arizona herd which were transplanted from the Yellowstone herd after extinction of the native Arizona Merriam Subspecies/ecotype. These animals are huge, I expect and larger than the extinct eastern elk subspecies genetically closer to the red deers (elk) of Europe. Our "moose" is known as "elk" in Europe. Anyway, those that survived the transplant and reproduce are ecologically adapted. We're good at this now. We learned a lot with re-establishing the extinct eastern North American Peregrine Falcon subspecies. btw. Without wolves to move the herds, they'll ecologically become government subsidized cows. Penned, elk are vulnerable to wolf (canine predation).
Did they learn that the Peregrine Falcon would decimate flocks of domesticated pigeons.......ruin the hobby of millions of people.....people who spend millions of dollars to support their hobby......tax paying people.........my money is on........ people that won't leave wildlife alone don't care about any of the items I mentioned above......It's not nice to mess with Mother Nature.......the elk will in time become pest across the region for the very reason you mentioned....lack of predators...........unless they move a few packs of wolves back into the area......to hell with the cattle farmer, sheep farmer.......at least there will be wolves running wild.....

Did they learn that the Peregrine Falcon would decimate flocks of domesticated pigeons.......ruin the hobby of millions of people.....people who spend millions of dollars to support their hobby......tax paying people.........my money is on........ people that won't leave wildlife alone don't care about any of the items I mentioned above......It's not nice to mess with Mother Nature.......the elk will in time become pest across the region for the very reason you mentioned....lack of predators...........unless they move a few packs of wolves back into the area......to hell with the cattle farmer, sheep farmer.......at least there will be wolves running wild.....
Some lessons of Peregrine management used all the time.
  1. We should, can and do use living organisms to monitor the ecological impacts on our ecology.
  2. Persistent non-biodegradable organochlorines, DDT and particularly metabolite DDE, are fat soluble and stored in fatty tissue.
  3. When the fat is metabolized, toxicity levels rise to unsafe chronic levels affecting hormonal and neurological function in living organism affecting behavior and reproduction.
  4. Ecology and economy are the same word.
  5. Our diverse economy allowed us to solve the chronic problem using alternative products.
  6. We also learned how to rebuild an ecologically functional extinct subspecies using the science of specific evolutionary strategies for adaptation to habitat ecotypes. Yes, an expensive remediation tool to often preventable neglect.
  7. The falconer types that identified this ecological issue have been flying "Birds of Prey" for thousands of years. I know too, there are millions of little old ladies wearing tennis shoes in Audubon that don't like them. But I liked them. As far as Peregrine and Pigeon fanciers. Millions? Perhaps thousands but that doesn't matter. There's room for all. Peregrines, pigeons, little old lady's & the falconers. And I'm sure all of society benefits from a problem solved they were blessed with forgetting existed.
Personally, I've never observed a more spiritual/stimulating interaction between man and nature than a falconer hunting quail with a Harris Hawk and a Brittaney Spaniel. The cowboy cutting and roping calves at a roundup or a sheep herder and his Border Collies, can be pretty special. Just not as majestic.

astro22.gif

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. We've got 39°F and clear with 70% humidity and 4 MPH winds from the NE. Today's high expected at 58°F. Sounds good.

Texas Longhorns visit Rupp on Saturday at 7 pm. Their coach has COVID. Doubt he travels with the team. Anyway, Go Cats.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

blueberry-pancake-300x300.png

board. Wanda Shaw
I am so sorry for his passing and for your loss. Please accept my sincere condolences.

board. Wanda Shaw
My condolences and prayers to you and yours.

Last edited:
Good morning D-League. On a weird schedule, for me, where I'm up before 5am, get in a long hike and start work by 7am. I sorta like it. Odd going to bed at 10pm, but necessary for my wife's schedule at the hospital.

Easing back into running as well. Took a few months off because of a mildly arthritic knee. We'll see how that goes. I only did a little over a mile this morning, but the knee feels alright.

Not much else doing yet today. I hope it is a good one for everybody.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT