ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Marshall Dillon too.

Although Arness wanted to be a naval fighter pilot, he was concerned his poor eyesight would bar him. However, his 6-ft, 7-in (2.01 m) frame ended his chances because the limit for aviators was set at 6 ft, 2 in (1.88 m). He was drafted into the US Army and reported to Fort Snelling in March 1943.[4] As a rifleman, he landed on Anzio Beachhead on January 22, 1944, with the 2nd Platoon, E Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment of the 3rd Infantry Division. Arness – due to his height – was the first man to be ordered off his landing craft to determine the depth of the water; it came up to his waist.[4] He was severely wounded in his right leg during the Battle of Anzio,[7]and medically evacuated from Italy to the U.S., where he was sent to the 91st General Hospital in Clinton, Iowa. His brother, Peter, (later known as actor Peter Graves), came to see him when he was back in the U.S., beginning his long recuperation, assuring him to not worry about his injuries, that likely he could find work in the field of radio. After undergoing several surgeries, he was honorably discharged from the Army on January 29, 1945.[8] His wounds continued to trouble him, though, throughout the remainder of his life. In his later years, he suffered with chronic leg pain that often became acute, and was sometimes initiated when he was mounted on horses during his performances on Gunsmoke.[9][7] His military decorations included the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, the American Campaign Medal, the European–African–Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with three bronze battle stars, the World War II Victory Medal, and the Combat Infantryman Badge.[9][10]

It’s hard to imagine any of today’s hollywood set serving in the military in any capacity.
Oliver Douglas on Green Acres is another celebrity who saw action in WW2. and there are many more.

b81690b0cfc815b10046db7025fa3d92.jpg

Prior to World War II, and before his film career, Albert had toured Mexico as a clown and high-wire artist with the Escalante Brothers Circus, but secretly worked for U.S. Army intelligence, photographing German U-boats in Mexican harbors.[8] On September 9, 1942, Albert enlisted in the United States Coast Guard and was discharged in 1943 to accept an appointment as a lieutenant in the U.S. Naval Reserve. He was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat "V" for his actions during the invasion of Tarawa in November 1943, when, as the coxswain of a Coast Guard landing craft, he rescued 47 Marines who were stranded offshore (and supervised the rescue of 30 others), while under heavy enemy machine-gun fire.[9]

Two other actors to serve in the military were Ernest Borgnine and Ted Knight.

Borgnine joined the United States Navy in October 1935, after graduation from high school.[10] He served aboard the destroyer/minesweeper USS Lamberton[11] and was honorably discharged from the Navy in October 1941.[12] In January 1942, he reenlisted in the Navy after the attack on Pearl Harbor. During World War II, he patrolled the Atlantic Coast on an antisubmarine warfare ship, the USS Sylph.[13] In September 1945, he was once again honorably discharged from the Navy. He served a total of almost 10 years in the Navy and obtained the grade of gunner's mate first class. His military awards include the Navy Good Conduct Medal, American Defense Service Medal with Fleet Clasp, American Campaign Medal with 3⁄16" bronze star, and the World War II Victory Medal.[12]

Knight dropped out of high school to enlist in the United States Army in World War II along with his best childhood friend Bernard P. Dzielinski (also from Terryville). He was a member of A Company, 296th Combat Engineer Battalion, earning five battle stars while serving in the European Theatre.[2][3]

This is SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will stop posting period if I do not need to post this BUT..............

They just raided Mar-a-Lago................................

I've been following this. Where is it going to lead? Lots of possibilities. Most bad!

Good morning from ATX. Currently 78°F and clear. Today's high expected around 101°F. Yesterday was our 58th day for temperatures above 100°F. More triple digits coming today. We may see some beautiful, precious rain on Thursday. Stay tuned.

First days of school for Austin Independent School District (AISD) start next Monday. More kids and more traffic. Thank heavens I'm only going into the office once weekly so far.

I've got nothing else. Heading out for a walk after morning systems checks. Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design3.jpg

I doubt it. :p
God has provided me with a good long life and I have seen my family prosper and blessed beyond anything I could imagine as a small boy born during WWII. So yes, I am ready and if God calls me home I will close my eyes and thank Him for his love and grace. God is good all the time. Even in death, especially in death if you know Him.

I hate to read that. She gave breast cancer a good fight but it got her in the end. She was a great entertainer. RIP
Outside of my wife, she was my secret want. Of course, it was not secret to my wife. She asked me last night if I was OK. Can't hide anything from her. But, as much as I have watched Grease and Xanadu, anyone except a Biden supporter could see that.

Outside of my wife, she was my secret want. Of course, it was not secret to my wife. She asked me last night if I was OK. Can't hide anything from her. But, as much as I have watched Grease and Xanadu, anyone except a Biden supporter could see that.
Good morning D-League. Sunny and warm in DC. Heading for the subway in a few minutes after a nice sunrise walk around the lake.

I can’t post videos from my phone or I would dedicate ONJ’s dance in tight black leather at the end of Grease to Warrior. I watched it a couple times yesterday. She was that perfect combination of sweet and innocent and sexy in that role and others. Sad she died so young. (As an aside, John Travolta comes off a little “non-binary” in that scene.)

One more day til we get to watch the basketball Cats play. Keeping my expectations in check.

Hope you all have a good day.

Good Morning D League

Boy it stinks on the national stage this morning. America is Nazi Germany reborn. 87,000 new IRS agents, Trump administration officials arrested for what? Now Trump's private residence is raided. And President Mr. Vegetable claims he knows nothing about it. So tell me how a former President home's is raided and the current President knows nothing of it? We are a Banana Republic.

But the sun is coming up and this old world keeps moving along. We will have plenty of sunshine and temperatures normal and chance of rain about 50%. But the weather is not important when you live in a Nation where freedom is being taken minute by minute. This story is not good for our nation.

Good morning D-League. Sunny and warm in DC. Heading for the subway in a few minutes after a nice sunrise walk around the lake.

I can’t post videos from my phone or I would dedicate ONJ’s dance in tight black leather at the end of Grease to Warrior. I watched it a couple times yesterday. She was that perfect combination of sweet and innocent and sexy in that role and others. Sad she died so young. (As an aside, John Travolta comes off a little “non-binary” in that scene.)

One more day til we get to watch the basketball Cats play. Keeping my expectations in check.

Hope you all have a good day.
Yeah, I think I read somewhere that John Revolting played both sides of the field.

The stupidity of large organizations:

Since we've been back at work, every morning to enter the building you have to complete a task on an app from some security health company. It asks you five questions like: Do you have COVID? Have you been around anyone with COVID for ten days? What is your current body temperature?

So, you say the right things and make up a temperature (who carries around a thermometer?) so you can "pass" and enter the building.

Naturally, the app has problems and today it was timing out before people could get their "green badge" so we were all stacked up in the lobby turning our phones off and on to reset the app. Average time to get into the building: 15 minutes.

And think of the stupidity of it: Is anyone going to come all the way to the downtown office, then suddenly REMEMBER THEY HAVE COVID or that they have been close to someone who has it? Even if that happened, and for whatever reason you still wanted to come to work, you just answer NO. How would anybody know?

It would be equally effective just to have some security guard at the door asking you, "Do you have COVID? Okay, good to go." I get that it gives the organization some fig leaf against liability suits if someone gets sick and dies at the office - "We tried." But it is all a charade.

The house and senate sure need to be changed come November. This FBI is getting out of hand. Garland and Wray are showing their true allegiance when they are supposed to be neutral. I guess Garland is still pissed that Mitch McConnell kept him off the Supreme Court. I don't know what burr in under Christopher Wray's saddle as Trump appointed him as Director of the FBI.

It is a sunny 76.8°F here and we are supposed to get into the high 80's today and a 50% chance of rain. I will take some more rain.

My man mowed the yard yesterday and he rolled the limb that came off the wild cherry tree over so he could mow under it. Marty is coming out Thursday to remove it. Our cable has be going out periodically and Thursday they are coming to check it out they think it is a "amp" whatever that is in the system. So Thursday I am going to be one busy little dude.

You all have a good Tuesday.

Since we've been back at work, every morning to enter the building you have to complete a task on an app from some security health company. It asks you five questions like: Do you have COVID? Have you been around anyone with COVID for ten days? What is your current body temperature?

So, you say the right things and make up a temperature (who carries around a thermometer?) so you can "pass" and enter the building.

Naturally, the app has problems and today it was timing out before people could get their "green badge" so we were all stacked up in the lobby turning our phones off and on to reset the app. Average time to get into the building: 15 minutes.

And think of the stupidity of it: Is anyone going to come all the way to the downtown office, then suddenly REMEMBER THEY HAVE COVID or that they have been close to someone who has it? Even if that happened, and for whatever reason you still wanted to come to work, you just answer NO. How would anybody know?

It would be equally effective just to have some security guard at the door asking you, "Do you have COVID? Okay, good to go." I get that it gives the organization some fig leaf against liability suits if someone gets sick and dies at the office - "We tried." But it is all a charade.
is there anybody left in Washington DC with any sense. Your daily reports leave me with the feeling I am living in a foreign country. What America is this you speak of.

Will the last patriot to leave Washington DC , please bring the flag of Old Glory. If it is not put in a museum before that happens.

is there anybody left in Washington DC with any sense. Your daily reports leave me with the feeling I am living in a foreign country. What America is this you speak of.

Will the last patriot to leave Washington DC , please bring the flag of Old Glory. If it is not put in a museum before that happens.

The thing is Sir, MdW55 is telling it gospel. (He doesn't need me to affirm what he types as he is top notch but if anything he is downplaying it some.) A Swamp is too nice a word but it is a Cesspool in a Swamp. I do not state that lightly as I am kind of like Jerry Clower when he stated, "I love everybody". I love people...

Sawnee -- Sadly, the kind of organizational stupidity and political correctness I'm talking about is not confined to cities like DC today. My son jumps through similar hoops at UK, and I've had to repeatedly talk him out of dropping that school because of the Woke BS saturating every class. You guys who are retired and can live a bit outside the organizational structure are lucky. When my time comes to move on from work, we're eyeing some small towns along the Delaware coast that should give us that kind of isolation and insulation.

Sawnee -- Sadly, the kind of organizational stupidity and political correctness I'm talking about is not confined to cities like DC today. My son jumps through similar hoops at UK, and I've had to repeatedly talk him out of dropping that school because of the Woke BS saturating every class. You guys who are retired and can live a bit outside the organizational structure are lucky. When my time comes to move on from work, we're eyeing some small towns along the Delaware coast that should give us that kind of isolation and insulation.
I know you are telling it like it is. WOKEISM has worked its way into all of society. Schools, churches are also a part of it. This Sunday I had a conversation with a long time friend at church. He has two sons who are in the military and had joined with the intention of making it a career. One is an officer in the Marine Corp. His wife is an Air Force officer. Both had announced they will leave the military at the end of this year. The reason WOKEISM in the military. Another of his sons is in the Air Force and will also be leaving. He said it is a real problem to keep military personnel.

When my wife heard our granddaughter would accept an appointment to the USAF Academy she was crushed. She prayed hard for it not to happen. I told her the granddaughter had a dream to fly the jets and she was living a dream by taking the opportunity. Now I am not sure I should have told her that. The granddaughter is not political at all and I pray she will not be influenced by the Air Force but based on what I hear I am afraid of what is to come. I just can't see her woke and following liberal stupidity, that has never been her personality and she sure was not brought up that way. I hope her being grounded in the Faith will protect her and shield her. I request all believers to pray she will remain strong in the faith. My wife writes her everyday and ends each short letter with a scripture verse of encouragement.

I know you are telling it like it is. WOKEISM has worked its way into all of society. Schools, churches are also a part of it. This Sunday I had a conversation with a long time friend at church. He has two sons who are in the military and had joined with the intention of making it a career. One is an officer in the Marine Corp. His wife is an Air Force officer. Both had announced they will leave the military at the end of this year. The reason WOKEISM in the military. Another of his sons is in the Air Force and will also be leaving. He said it is a real problem to keep military personnel.

When my wife heard our granddaughter would accept an appointment to the USAF Academy she was crushed. She prayed hard for it not to happen. I told her the granddaughter had a dream to fly the jets and she was living a dream by taking the opportunity. Now I am not sure I should have told her that. The granddaughter is not political at all and I pray she will not be influenced by the Air Force but based on what I hear I am afraid of what is to come. I just can't see her woke and following liberal stupidity, that has never been her personality and she sure was not brought up that way. I hope her being grounded in the Faith will protect her and shield her. I request all believers to pray she will remain strong in the faith. My wife writes her everyday and ends each short letter with a scripture verse of encouragement.
Sawnee, From what I've heard about your granddaughter, she'll be fine. There must be a strong subculture within the service academies clinging to traditional American values. I met lots of West Point and Annapolis grads during my days covering the military and they all seemed to have that grounding. She's better off there than most other places.

And my son at UK hasn't been warped by the worst of what a modern college education entails, nor was my daughter at Maryland. They are still the people they were when we sent them to those places, with the credentials to have more options in the job market of coming years.

Sawnee, From what I've heard about your granddaughter, she'll be fine. There must be a strong subculture within the service academies clinging to traditional American values. I met lots of West Point and Annapolis grads during my days covering the military and they all seemed to have that grounding. She's better off there than most other places.

And my son at UK hasn't been warped by the worst of what a modern college education entails, nor was my daughter at Maryland. They are the people we sent to those places, with the credentials to have more options in the job market of coming years.
Thank you for the words of encouragement. A person can navigate through the swamp if they have a solid moral fabric that has been nurtured from childhood through youth. We surround our family with friends with the same beliefs as we are grounded in. We must stay focused with eyes on the straight and narrow. The goal is in sight and the light is shining bright. I will say a prayer for you and your family.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. A person can navigate through the swamp if they have a solid moral fabric that has been nurtured from childhood through youth. We surround our family with friends with the same beliefs as we are grounded in. We must stay focused with eyes on the straight and narrow. The goal is in sight and the light is shining bright. I will say a prayer for you and your family.
Thanks Sawnee. I'll do the same for you, especially your granddaughter.

Marshall Dillon too.

Although Arness wanted to be a naval fighter pilot, he was concerned his poor eyesight would bar him. However, his 6-ft, 7-in (2.01 m) frame ended his chances because the limit for aviators was set at 6 ft, 2 in (1.88 m). He was drafted into the US Army and reported to Fort Snelling in March 1943.[4] As a rifleman, he landed on Anzio Beachhead on January 22, 1944, with the 2nd Platoon, E Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment of the 3rd Infantry Division. Arness – due to his height – was the first man to be ordered off his landing craft to determine the depth of the water; it came up to his waist.[4] He was severely wounded in his right leg during the Battle of Anzio,[7]and medically evacuated from Italy to the U.S., where he was sent to the 91st General Hospital in Clinton, Iowa. His brother, Peter, (later known as actor Peter Graves), came to see him when he was back in the U.S., beginning his long recuperation, assuring him to not worry about his injuries, that likely he could find work in the field of radio. After undergoing several surgeries, he was honorably discharged from the Army on January 29, 1945.[8] His wounds continued to trouble him, though, throughout the remainder of his life. In his later years, he suffered with chronic leg pain that often became acute, and was sometimes initiated when he was mounted on horses during his performances on Gunsmoke.[9][7] His military decorations included the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, the American Campaign Medal, the European–African–Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with three bronze battle stars, the World War II Victory Medal, and the Combat Infantryman Badge.[9][10]
298503480_170915395463805_2103669440558132566_n.jpg

Massive respect for James Arness enduring Anzio. That might have been one of the ugliest places Americans fought in World War 2, though there is lots of competition. Once the opening push failed to break through and the Germans sealed the US forces into a zone around the beach, every inch was under artillery fire, and the only limit was how many shells the Germans had at any given time. The US didn't even have control of the skies. There are stories about guys on the front lines getting wounded and going back to aid stations in the rear, only to go back to the front because the shelling was worse near the beach.

The celebrated correspondent Ernie Pyle was there, and it almost shattered his nerves. He was living in a villa with other writers and a German bomber scored a direct hit with a 500 pound bomb. Miraculously no one was seriously hurt. But that's got to shake you up.

ADVERTISEMENT