ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

After remodeling several homes or parts of them, I don't do as much in certain areas. After losing a contractor and having difficulty replacing them at a similar price point because the job was too custom and cramped. We found out we were redoing a full bath with a custom sized tub. we just had bath fitter come in and do their thing. Done in a day and worth not losing the use of it for any length of time.

They gave us a quote that was higher than others apples to apples, but would have been cheaper or the same when the final work was done.

There were problems with the shower plumbing and the drain pipes that would have cost us extra after being found, if the other companies had done the work. Bathfitter didn't charge more than the original quote. Probably saved 500$ at minimum.

Don't know if I'd use them on an easier job in a newer home.

Just 2 more weeks and it'll be time to plant tomatoes. Surprisingly there's not as much variety this year in the plant nurseries. Especially with heirlooms. Probably another victim of covid.
My banana peppers are blooming and some have tiny peppers on them. I should have plenty for one of my favorite snacks, fried banana peppers. Love em

The eaglets are flying about.

PLTe771s_o.jpg

After remodeling several homes or parts of them, I don't do as much in certain areas. After losing a contractor and having difficulty replacing them at a similar price point because the job was too custom and cramped. We found out we were redoing a full bath with a custom sized tub. we just had bath fitter come in and do their thing. Done in a day and worth not losing the use of it for any length of time.

They gave us a quote that was higher than others apples to apples, but would have been cheaper or the same when the final work was done.

There were problems with the shower plumbing and the drain pipes that would have cost us extra after being found, if the other companies had done the work. Bathfitter didn't charge more than the original quote. Probably saved 500$ at minimum.

Don't know if I'd use them on an easier job in a newer home.
Before we decided to go with granite countertops, we checked out one of those companies, much like Bath Fitter, only in countertops. They put a thin granite (composite I think) that goes over your existing countertops.
Funny, we were just talking about them the other night when we were watching the YouTube videos on the scammers. Good talkers...hi pressure salesmen...mad if you don't buy, etc.
They sent a sales guy out to show us what they could do...take a few measurements...do a quote. Kind of in home sales that is high pressure. Guy was super, super nice. Hour later when I told him we would think about it...you could see his personality change and the pressure salesman come out...10-15 minutes later I told him I wasn't interested and invited him to leave. Then he turned into a real class 'A' jerk.

I've been remodeling for about 25 years. When you live in a house that was built in 1857 and those before never spent the time or money...gives you a lot to do. They would upgrade over the years...and it's structurally sound...but 25 years ago it just looked old. So I take it project by project. Basically all done now. Doing all the work my self...saved a bunch of $$$$. People walk in who have never been here or haven't for many years are amazed (they say). Mayor came in last Nov (looking for votes) and he said it was one of the nicest properties around. Again... looking for votes.

When I was working on the kitchen for the second time about 12-15 years ago we replaced the countertop. The Mrs had her heart set on granite. Me...I didn't want to spend that much. Guess who won? Cost a ton, but I'm glad now we went with granite. Went all the way to Columbus to pick out the slab of which one we wanted.
Only thing she wanted that we didn't do, that I now wish we had, was a 'country sink'. Takes up a lot of space under the cabinet and I didn't want to re-plumb everything and you lose a lot of under cabinet storage. Now I wish I would have done it. Redid the floor two years ago just in time for the g'daughter's graduation party.

Took two years of French in H.S. Can't speak/understand a word of it. Only thing I remember is the phrase....ferme la bouche. Literal translation...close your mouth....loose translation....SHUT UP.

HA HA, thanks for the memory OC,

I think it was my sixth grade teacher. Her favorite saying was: ferme la grand bouche; close your big mouth...

Mrs. Sahulka..... A stern but wonderful lady. A good teacher.

I took my darling for her first vaccine today. She received the Pfizer vaccine. She is out like a light. Never one to sleep during the day. We had lunch and made our normal Saturday grocery rounds today.

Oh,
May your time today be filled with joyful activities. Look forward to interacting with others and may your actions brighten someone's day and outlook. God Bless you all...

Before we decided to go with granite countertops, we checked out one of those companies, much like Bath Fitter, only in countertops. They put a thin granite (composite I think) that goes over your existing countertops.
Funny, we were just talking about them the other night when we were watching the YouTube videos on the scammers. Good talkers...hi pressure salesmen...mad if you don't buy, etc.
They sent a sales guy out to show us what they could do...take a few measurements...do a quote. Kind of in home sales that is high pressure. Guy was super, super nice. Hour later when I told him we would think about it...you could see his personality change and the pressure salesman come out...10-15 minutes later I told him I wasn't interested and invited him to leave. Then he turned into a real class 'A' jerk.

Lmao... Yeah!

It's like the exorcist if you don't commit. We never do but always enjoy the show for what it is. We call em back or they call us back. Never commit while they're sitting there if you want the exorcist or sybil movie trailer!

We've had several wi dows folks in.... siding, bath, and garage door people over the years. It's much more intense than the time share people

I noticed that too. May have more to do with the big seed/plant companies being sold, but I was very surprised. They did a TON of business last year on plants. Would've thought they'd be throwing everything at us this year
Good point. It's still too early but from my conversations with my normal sources they're cutting back this year. Maybe next year I'll start from seed.

Wasting your time planting here in NKy b4 about 10 May. Ground too cold & they just sit there. Sorta like cicadas.
I usually plant sometime during the first week of May. Last year was closer to the 15th. For the past few years I've only put a few in the ground and 4 in Earthbox containers. Believe it or not the Earthbox system gives me a better yield. Idiot proof too.

Good luck with the kitchen remodel, 82. My advice on that is, timing is everything. Our kitchen, dining area really needed an extensive remodel -- we actually took out the dining room and expanded the kitchen dramatically -- and I'll admit today that it was a smart move and added value to our property.

BUT -- At my wife's urging, we took it on when 1.) the kids were still young and I was worried about saving for their education 2.) my wife had been out of the workforce for a decade getting our kids through their early years, so living in the expensive DC area money had gotten tight 3.) I had turned down better paying jobs because I was committed to traveling overseas as much as I could, so I felt the pressure of our family economics pushing me out of what I wanted ;professionally.

Okay, maybe too much information, but, bottom line: I won't even scare you by telling how much it cost. Suffice to say I grew up in rural Kentucky in a house that cost about a third of what our kitchen remodel cost. I was traveling so I couldn't take on any of the work myself (not that I had the skills.) It was like the US in Afghanistan - Mission Creep. Always something else to add. I'm hardly exaggerating to say that by the end it was a low point in what has been an almost issue-free 25-year marriage.

I'm sure it'll be fine for you, as long as the timing is good.
I turned our small first floor bedroom and turned it into our bathroom for the master bedroom..........We bought the place in 1977......the bathroom cost more than twice what we originally paid for the house......and my many, many hours of work was not included in the bill.....I wish it had been......I could have paid for it.....

906752_10152712139185014_652001490_o.jpg

I turned our small first floor bedroom and turned it into our bathroom for the master bedroom..........We bought the place in 1977......the bathroom cost more than twice what we originally paid for the house......and my many, many hours of work was not included in the bill.....I wish it had been......I could have paid for it.....

906752_10152712139185014_652001490_o.jpg

I stayed at that hotel once. Think I still have some of their soap! It was so expensive I had to sell the rest of the complimentaries to pay the visa bill. NICE!

Don't know that system. How's it work and whered you find it?
I kept reading good reviews and decided to give it a try. Our luck with "in ground" tomatoes were hit and miss and containers limited us to smaller tomatoes with lower yields. Earthbox is a reservoir type system so it's not possible to overwater. As long as you don't let the reservoir go dry it's foolproof. Probably get around 60-70 tomatoes per plant on average. Large heirlooms were obviously less but still impressive. Our first year Romas were more like 150. Blossom end rot has been the only problem but with a pickling lime solution it knocks it out.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-o2r.../2614148/z_4963_1_0__20742.1588079764.jpg?c=2

I kept reading good reviews and decided to give it a try. Our luck with "in ground" tomatoes were hit and miss and containers limited us to smaller tomatoes with lower yields. Earthbox is a reservoir type system so it's not possible to overwater. As long as you don't let the reservoir go dry it's foolproof. Probably get around 60-70 tomatoes per plant on average. Large heirlooms were obviously less but still impressive. Our first year Romas were more like 150. Blossom end rot has been the only problem but with a pickling lime solution it knocks it out.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-o2r.../2614148/z_4963_1_0__20742.1588079764.jpg?c=2
That looks too easy!! Much rather tackle tilling, weeds, critters, fungus, etc....

IT CAN'T BE THAT SIMPLE!! Jk

Thanks for sending that. I'm gonna check it out. Do you keep these on a deck or in the yard/ garden?

Just 2 more weeks and it'll be time to plant tomatoes. Surprisingly there's not as much variety this year in the plant nurseries. Especially with heirlooms. Probably another victim of covid.
I started my own plants again this year......I still haven't planted my Kale seeds....I have had 10% germination so far........I couldn't find seeds last season so I was forced to buy plants......I have been growing my own plants for years......it helps with spring fever.....

Because even though they are so effective, they're not perfect. I suggest if perfection in everything is your requirement, don't do anything.
Sorry pal, I was making a joke. As far as I know no one is complaining about thousands of people suffering with polio. I've had both my shots. Next up for me is the shingles shot and then another flu shot. I understand the shingles shot is a bear.

It's difficult to find anyone to do most anything these days. Driving through my small town, everyone has signs up "now hiring". It's to easy for people not to work and let the gov (us tax payers) take care of them.
As long as they keep extending unemployment benefits, it won't get any better either. It's so bad around here, that a local restaurant had to close early due to lack of staff.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 60°F and windy. Austin could experience below average temperatures during my absence. Probably turn hotter than hell upon my return.

Picked up rental car, another Dodge Charger. Let's see if I can drive to Bert's and stop only 3 times. First stop is scheduled soon for Temple, Texas 60 miles north. Goal is depart here NLT 2:30 am CST. Current mileage on odometer = 33232.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

Ra091d573012bba3f96e183e24807424f

Good morning from ATX. Currently 60°F and windy. Austin could experience below average temperatures during my absence. Probably turn hotter than hell upon my return.

Picked up rental car, another Dodge Charger. Let's see if I can drive to Bert's and stop only 3 times. First stop is scheduled soon for Temple, Texas 60 miles north. Goal is depart here NLT 2:30 am CST. Current mileage on odometer = 33232.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

Ra091d573012bba3f96e183e24807424f
Safe travels Ausin.

Good morning D-League.

Safe travels Austin. I always love a good road trip, back to my teens. Always feels like freedom.

Back from a three--hour hike. I've logged 21,122 steps before 10 am, with a goal of 35,000 today.

And I had one of those satisfying father's moments: My son, driving a huge moving truck and running a three-man crew, randomly pulled up in a neighborhood where I was passing through, and I got to wish him well without embarrassing him in front of his buddies.

One last note: 20 hours since my second vaccine shot. Never felt a thing. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Sorry pal, I was making a joke. As far as I know no one is complaining about thousands of people suffering with polio. I've had both my shots. Next up for me is the shingles shot and then another flu shot. I understand the shingles shot is a bear.
As to polio, I presume you mean those that got it before 1979 - last USA case - for whom we can only treat to a limited case. What's to complain about? It is what it is for them. Hope they can make the best of it.

Shingles shots were minor issue for me. My DW had a several days devil of a time with the first, OK with second though she was dreading. Everything people who've had shingles say is the cure can't be close to the disease. I've known several who had it and they were totally miserable.

Overcast and cool in this part of the Buckeye State. Weather app says it's sunny here. I'll let the electronic 'nerds' fight over it.

Ran to the store this morning. Gas is 2.90. Ouch. How long till 3 bucks?

@AustinTXCat ...hope your day goes by safely...and quickly. Always thought it odd when you do a long trip (car or plane), how tired you are when you get to where you're going. And you've done nothing but sit on your butt for hours.
I started my own plants again this year

I've got a couple trays of tomato seeds/seedlings in a couple different windows. I've got a small plastic greenhouse I usually set up in a spare bedroom in front of the South window. Didn't bother this year. I'll probably buy some plants at a big box store as well when it's time to plant. Always have a garden....get the tiller out and spend a couple days tilling, smoothing, raking, etc. But when it gets really hot and humid....I lose interest.

What I like about that is that it's up off the surface with the wheels. If you have a planter on the patio/deck so many times when you move it a year or two later....it's discolored what's under it from the water, water/fertilizer.

Good morning D-League.

Safe travels Austin. I always love a good road trip, back to my teens. Always feels like freedom.

Back from a three--hour hike. I've logged 21,122 steps before 10 am, with a goal of 35,000 today.

And I had one of those satisfying father's moments: My son, driving a huge moving truck and running a three-man crew, randomly pulled up in a neighborhood where I was passing through, and I got to wish him well without embarrassing him in front of his buddies.

One last note: 20 hours since my second vaccine shot. Never felt a thing. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
I plan on getting in 35,000 steps also, THIS MONTH!

On my second Covid-19 (Pfizer) I ran a touch of a fever for a couple hours on the third day. I took that as a good sign that I had built up resistance to Covid-19.

As to polio, I presume you mean those that got it before 1979 - last USA case - for whom we can only treat to a limited case. What's to complain about? It is what it is for them. Hope they can make the best of it.

Shingles shots were minor issue for me. My DW had a several days devil of a time with the first, OK with second though she was dreading. Everything people who've had shingles say is the cure can't be close to the disease. I've known several who had it and they were totally miserable.
Yep my wife had problems with the Shingles shots.

I have not taken mine yet. I should but not in the mood yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT