ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I'm finally going to stick a crowbar in my wallet and remodel our kitchen. My wife has been on me for years and it's definitely time. For me, I can live with outdated stuff because it's comfortable. For her, well, she's been patient. Not looking forward to forking over major cash and living with tradesmen in my house for several days. Not to mention losing the use of my kitchen for a while.

Yeah we need a new counter top too. The thing is that composite stuff and the wife wants granite. We need to do that anyway and a good coat of paint on the entire interior and this will be ready to sell. Not sure yet when but it is when, not if now... Got some more definite word today, we will be allowed to work from anywhere. It will just take time to figure out what I hope will be our final move. No rush, God's time is the best time. I am thankful...

Good evening! Had a good day at the golf course and then went to a friends house for a couple of hours. Came home and mowed the grass because it will be out of hand by Monday when I get a chance to mow again. Preventative mowing.

Switched over from winter cavity backs to summer blades in the bag today. Both have their positives. Cavity backs are axes. Blades are scalpels.

174154285_4330278366991908_7802996757851400979_n.jpg

That felt good when I saw it...

Good morning! Just sitting here waiting on Austin to wake up. Whippersnapper sure loves his sleep!

Tee time at 1042 this morning. It was cool out there yesterday and will be just a little cooler today. Tomorrow morning might be the worst day of the week. Cold and damp is the forecast. I'm not going to play golf on Sunday or probably Monday. So there's that.

I've got a minor project to work on and might try and knock it out in 2 days. Pretty sure I can if I get started early on day one.

Looking forward with great enthusiasm to the weekend. Great friends, great food, great bourbon...you know...the essentials.

Have fun!

Good morning from ATX. Currently 62°F and foggy. Today's high expected at 77°F with rain later this afternoon. Yesterday afternoon, hailstorms raked our area, some stones as big as golf balls.

Must run a few errands during lunch. Picking up rental car at 4:00 pm today.

Happy Friday!

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

efd7c7561ed5bad90004a61eab183a1a.jpg

Morning D, well two of you!!!! Cold here 35, bought flowers yesterday, hope they are alive this morning!!!!

Note to self, when cooking read the recipe, don't just think you know it!!!! I made something yesterday THINKING I got this, it called for a stick of butter, I used two!!!! I think I have clogged every artery from my head to my toe!!!!!

Going to Owensboro today, need some deck chairs.

I hope the D has a great day and Prayers for the D! Again Praying for safe travels!!!!

Morning Legionnaires!

For Austin: Benedict hell, I broke it! Old joke, I know. Safe travels, be careful out there.

Daughter has a 4 day weekend. School using inclement weather days they say that were set aside each year. Not sure how they did not use them all up during the almost 3 weeks she had off during the cold spell when the school had no water or elect. Teachers and administrators don't seem to want to work anymore. She complains that they only teach what is going to be on test and that every one is scoring high or very low (on occasion if not taught what is on the test). She wants to be home schooled next year and we will probably do just that. Just one example of home work they give her and I have posted this before. In Spanish, they don't teach her phrases, just a few words and for homework there has only been cryptograms for her to figure out and none of them so far has had Spanish words or phrases, they just cover Spanish speaking countries and their cultures, landscape, and history. This is her second year in Spanish and she hardly knows any phrases or understanding of the language itself. She should have taken French. My wife is half French, her father speaks it as did her grandparents who brought her father over here when he was about 8 years old.

I'm finally going to stick a crowbar in my wallet and remodel our kitchen. My wife has been on me for years and it's definitely time. For me, I can live with outdated stuff because it's comfortable. For her, well, she's been patient. Not looking forward to forking over major cash and living with tradesmen in my house for several days. Not to mention losing the use of my kitchen for a while.
I've been remodeling for about 25 years. When you live in a house that was built in 1857 and those before never spent the time or money...gives you a lot to do. They would upgrade over the years...and it's structurally sound...but 25 years ago it just looked old. So I take it project by project. Basically all done now. Doing all the work my self...saved a bunch of $$$$. People walk in who have never been here or haven't for many years are amazed (they say). Mayor came in last Nov (looking for votes) and he said it was one of the nicest properties around. Again... looking for votes.
Yeah we need a new counter top too. The thing is that composite stuff and the wife wants granite.
When I was working on the kitchen for the second time about 12-15 years ago we replaced the countertop. The Mrs had her heart set on granite. Me...I didn't want to spend that much. Guess who won? Cost a ton, but I'm glad now we went with granite. Went all the way to Columbus to pick out the slab of which one we wanted.
Only thing she wanted that we didn't do, that I now wish we had, was a 'country sink'. Takes up a lot of space under the cabinet and I didn't want to re-plumb everything and you lose a lot of under cabinet storage. Now I wish I would have done it. Redid the floor two years ago just in time for the g'daughter's graduation party.
This is her second year in Spanish and she hardly knows any phrases or understanding of the language itself. She should have taken French. My wife is half French, her father speaks it as did her grandparents who brought her father over here when he was about 8 years old.
Took two years of French in H.S. Can't speak/understand a word of it. Only thing I remember is the phrase....ferme la bouche. Literal translation...close your mouth....loose translation....SHUT UP.

Bright sun and chilly out this morning...hi 30s. Next few days in the 50s.

What I hated as a kid growing up in Ohio, and now too......you get 'teased' with a couple/few days of Summer like-weather, and then boom!....back to semi-Winter. 50s is warm enough to mow, etc but 70 sounds better.

Praying that all have a good end to the work week.

I've been remodeling for about 25 years. When you live in a house that was built in 1857 and those before never spent the time or money...gives you a lot to do. They would upgrade over the years...and it's structurally sound...but 25 years ago it just looked old. So I take it project by project. Basically all done now. Doing all the work my self...saved a bunch of $$$$. People walk in who have never been here or haven't for many years are amazed (they say). Mayor came in last Nov (looking for votes) and he said it was one of the nicest properties around. Again... looking for votes.

When I was working on the kitchen for the second time about 12-15 years ago we replaced the countertop. The Mrs had her heart set on granite. Me...I didn't want to spend that much. Guess who won? Cost a ton, but I'm glad now we went with granite. Went all the way to Columbus to pick out the slab of which one we wanted.
Only thing she wanted that we didn't do, that I now wish we had, was a 'country sink'. Takes up a lot of space under the cabinet and I didn't want to re-plumb everything and you lose a lot of under cabinet storage. Now I wish I would have done it. Redid the floor two years ago just in time for the g'daughter's graduation party.

Took two years of French in H.S. Can't speak/understand a word of it. Only thing I remember is the phrase....ferme la bouche. Literal translation...close your mouth....loose translation....SHUT UP.
Our kitchen is outdated but I could live with it. I suggested to my wife that we go the cheap route. She pointed out that I didn't go the cheap route when putting together our home theater. Game, set, match. No response from me. We might do this remodel in stages, i.e. cabinets, countertop, floor, wall tile. etc.. Might ease the stress a little. I'm concerned about our dog. Could be tough on the little guy for a while.

Good morning D League

I trust all slept well last night. I just got back from Public to pick up a few things for a special meal I will be making this weekend.

Temperature wise, we are currently 69° and cloudy. The sun will be out most of the day but there is a chance of thunderstorms with a high of 76°. We need the rain.

Listening to the radio and they are discussing the county fair. The ranchers have a nice program where a young boy or girl can purchase a young steer and keep it on the ranch. The youths will track the growth of the steer and keep a record of all feed, weekly weight as if it was their ranch. When the steer gets to the desired weight for slaughter they have the option of the ranch butchering and packaging for their use or they can sell it.

You can do the same with pigs but chickens, ducks and rabbits are not allowed this year. So just cattle and pigs. I think it is a great idea and keeps the ranching business in the area front and center. With the influx of New Yorkers and New Englanders ranches are shrinking across the state.

enhance

Last edited:
It was really popular when I was a boy. We had several tables set up at school. I had one for our kids that fit over the pool table. Pool tables were very popular back then too.
My grandfather had a couple of pool rooms back when I was a kid........I used to be able to make a shot or two......it is all in the angles.......when my grandfather retired he worked at Parkmoor in the pool room.......I shot a lot of free pool there.......

Listening to the radio and now they are discussing the DEMAND by the Tampa Bay Rays for a new baseball stadium. But things are not going smooth for the poverty stricken Rays (they can't afford a Billion dollar stadium)

When MLB pulled that idiotic stunt the other day, pulling the All Star game out of Georgia, it left a bitter taste in the mouth of the movers and shakers who could make a new stadium happen. They want guarantees the team will stay in the area and also get out of politics. Should be interesting.

I vote no to building them a stadium.

A second issue is the new legislation addressing RIOTS. The governor and legislature are going to clamp down hard on rioters. Of course Democrats oppose this because they say it will be detrimental to the Black Lives Matter movement. I don't think this GOP controlled state is going to worry about the feelings of Black Lives Matter. If you riot you probably will get your head busted or shot and it will be legal.

Our kitchen is outdated but I could live with it. I suggested to my wife that we go the cheap route. She pointed out that I didn't go the cheap route when putting together our home theater. Game, set, match. No response from me. We might do this remodel in stages, i.e. cabinets, countertop, floor, wall tile. etc.. Might ease the stress a little. I'm concerned about our dog. Could be tough on the little guy for a while.
Good luck with the kitchen remodel, 82. My advice on that is, timing is everything. Our kitchen, dining area really needed an extensive remodel -- we actually took out the dining room and expanded the kitchen dramatically -- and I'll admit today that it was a smart move and added value to our property.

BUT -- At my wife's urging, we took it on when 1.) the kids were still young and I was worried about saving for their education 2.) my wife had been out of the workforce for a decade getting our kids through their early years, so living in the expensive DC area money had gotten tight 3.) I had turned down better paying jobs because I was committed to traveling overseas as much as I could, so I felt the pressure of our family economics pushing me out of what I wanted ;professionally.

Okay, maybe too much information, but, bottom line: I won't even scare you by telling how much it cost. Suffice to say I grew up in rural Kentucky in a house that cost about a third of what our kitchen remodel cost. I was traveling so I couldn't take on any of the work myself (not that I had the skills.) It was like the US in Afghanistan - Mission Creep. Always something else to add. I'm hardly exaggerating to say that by the end it was a low point in what has been an almost issue-free 25-year marriage.

I'm sure it'll be fine for you, as long as the timing is good.

Last edited:
Always something else to add. I'm hardly exaggerating to say that by the end it was a low point in what has been an almost issue-free 25-year marriage.

Step-daughter and her hubby bought a house in Seattle about this time last year. Our house is larger and much nicer than what they bought (not to mention size of yard, etc) and theirs was well over $1M. Inside was basically trashed...someone started remodel but quit...so they've had to put, I think, about 300K in remodel/fixing up.
Then throw in 2 little kids...no school...him working at home....etc...and a perfect recipe for a divorce. They've had problems on and off for over 6 months, so we don't know if they'll make it or not.

As you know, it's stressful enough without the Covid lockdowns in these blue states.

Good luck with the kitchen remodel, 82. My advice on that is, timing is everything. Our kitchen, dining area really needed an extensive remodel -- we actually took out the dining room and expanded the kitchen dramatically -- and I'll admit today that it was a smart move and added value to our property.

BUT -- At my wife's urging, we took it on when 1.) the kids were still young and I was worried about saving for their education 2.) my wife had been out of the workforce for a decade getting our kids through their early years, so living in the expensive DC area money had gotten tight 3.) I had turned down better paying jobs because I was committed to traveling overseas as much as I could, so I felt the pressure of our family economics pushing me out of what I wanted ;professionally.

Okay, maybe too much information, but, bottom line: I won't even scare you by telling how much it cost. Suffice to say I grew up in rural Kentucky in a house that cost about a third of what our kitchen remodel cost. I was traveling so I couldn't take on any of the work myself (not that I had the skills.) It was like the US in Afghanistan - Mission Creep. Always something else to add. I'm hardly exaggerating to say that by the end it was a low point in what has been an almost issue-free 25-year marriage.

We went through a bathroom remodel within 6 months after my return from Iraq in 2006. Never again. Two contractors, one of which is wife's cousin, ripped us off for over $5,000.

Totally agree. Timing is everything and the project strains the heck out of a marriage.

Morning folks from frosty Smiths Grove. It was 34°F when I got up and we had a light frost. I did not take the sensitive plants in last night because I am tired of it. So they may pay the price for my lazy habits. It is not up to 43.5° and is supposed to top out at 64°.

On kitchens: ours is now 21 years old. We have replaced the two ovens, dishwasher (twice and soon to be three times), cabinet top (not granite), range top and fridge (three times). The cabinets are cherry and at the moment cherry is not popular but I love cherry so I plan on keeping them. The floor is oak and it needs refinishing but I don't ever want to replace it.

I mowed the yard yesterday as it is growing like weeds. I suppose I will do it again Monday.

You all have a great Friday.

Morning Legionnaires!

For Austin: Benedict hell, I broke it! Old joke, I know. Safe travels, be careful out there.

Daughter has a 4 day weekend. School using inclement weather days they say that were set aside each year. Not sure how they did not use them all up during the almost 3 weeks she had off during the cold spell when the school had no water or elect. Teachers and administrators don't seem to want to work anymore. She complains that they only teach what is going to be on test and that every one is scoring high or very low (on occasion if not taught what is on the test). She wants to be home schooled next year and we will probably do just that. Just one example of home work they give her and I have posted this before. In Spanish, they don't teach her phrases, just a few words and for homework there has only been cryptograms for her to figure out and none of them so far has had Spanish words or phrases, they just cover Spanish speaking countries and their cultures, landscape, and history. This is her second year in Spanish and she hardly knows any phrases or understanding of the language itself. She should have taken French. My wife is half French, her father speaks it as did her grandparents who brought her father over here when he was about 8 years old.
Si, I mean, oui

Slept from 2030 until 0430 and then took a nap from 0700 to 0900. Feel great.

Speaking of the grass, I need to rent a thatcher and go over my yard. Guess I'll overseed after that.

I'm going to make handles for the wheel barrow out of 2x4's. I believe splitting one down the middle will be sufficient. Ace hardware wants nearly 40 dollars for a set. They sell new wheel barrows for $49. That's not helpful, hardware man.

I'm off to meet the day. See you fine folks later!

We went through a bathroom remodel within 6 months after my return from Iraq in 2006. Never again. Two contractors, one of which is wife's cousin, ripped us off for over $5,000.

Totally agree. Timing is everything and the project strains the heck out of a marriage.
One of the advantages of doing the work yourself. If you get ripped off...it's just right pocket to left.
Stress in all the remodeling we've done was basically none. I'm the type that when I start a project it HAS to be done. I'm kind of a perfectionist, so I hate messes and loose ends. So it gets done as soon as possible. When I was building our dining room there were nights I wouldn't go to bed till 2 or 3.
Plus no kids running around the house, so our remodels have went well.

Step-daughter and her hubby bought a house in Seattle about this time last year. Our house is larger and much nicer than what they bought (not to mention size of yard, etc) and theirs was well over $1M. Inside was basically trashed...someone started remodel but quit...so they've had to put, I think, about 300K in remodel/fixing up.
Then throw in 2 little kids...no school...him working at home....etc...and a perfect recipe for a divorce. They've had problems on and off for over 6 months, so we don't know if they'll make it or not.

As you know, it's stressful enough without the Covid lockdowns in these blue states.
Colonel, I'm sorry to hear that, and certainly hope they'll get through this and to better days on the other side.

I was traveling to Iraq and Afghanistan during the period of our remodel and, looking back, I remember being more stressed about what was going on in my house than going on patrols with troops in places like Tikrit and Jalalabad.

Last edited:

It's difficult to find anyone to do most anything these days. Driving through my small town, everyone has signs up "now hiring". It's to easy for people not to work and let the gov (us tax payers) take care of them.

Good morning D-League. Took my walk early and have been working already for about an hour. My second shot is at noon and I need to get stuff done in case I don't feel like doing stuff after that.

I hope everybody has an easy glide into the weekend.
We'll be getting our 2nd this afternon as well. Uncertainty sure comes easy when confused by deceivers with specific intent.
Listening to the radio and they are discussing the county fair. The ranchers have a nice program where a young boy or girl can purchase a new born steer and keep it on the ranch. The youths will track the growth of the steer and keep a record of all feed, weekly weight as if it was their ranch. When the steer gets to the desired weight for slaughter they have the option of the ranch butchering and packaging for their use or they can sell it.

You can do the same with pigs but chickens, ducks and rabbits are not allowed this year. So just cattle and pigs. I think it is a great idea and keeps the ranching business in the area front and center. With the influx of New Yorkers and New Englanders ranches are shrinking across the state.

enhance
Moooo

Last edited:

You must have been in my class. I was told that often! Seems like “grand cochon” was “ large pig”! Lol!

We had kitchen/guest bathroom/laundry room/entry hall redone 5 years ago. Everything, including replacing tile floor with wood & moving a doorway & granite counters. Doesn't count new main fridge, beverage fridge, & dishwasher. (Correction: Low $70's. Looked at wrong figures.) (Correction #2: DW says it was 10 weeks.) Had microwave & old fridge in garage.

Last edited:

Morning Legionnaires!

I'm amazed at how little teaching actually occurs these days. When I was a kid dittos were reserved for days when they couldn't find a good sub to teach a class. Now they just have books full of them and call it teaching. We're considering homeschooling a granddaughter, after seeing her zoom school and "books" periodically over the last 12 months.

I have nieces and nephews that got schooled at home and flew through their college work. Every one of them except the last one (who went to school his last few years) graduated from college early without doing summer classes.

Ultimately it's up to her parents, of course. They're concerned about socialization skills and interaction. With what the teachers I know have been saying about the social interactions taking place at younger and younger ages, I'm not seeing as much value in that aspect anymore.

Hey thanks for all the tips (and horror stories) for remodeling. I'm tempted to rent out a cabin on Lake Cumberland during the work but that would only add to the cost plus I couldn't supervise. This is going to take a lot of serious planning.

Listening to the radio and now they are discussing the DEMAND by the Tampa Bay Rays for a new baseball stadium. But things are not going smooth for the poverty stricken Rays (they can't afford a Billion dollar stadium)

When MLB pulled that idiotic stunt the other day, pulling the All Star game out of Georgia, it left a bitter taste in the mouth of the movers and shakers who could make a new stadium happen. They want guarantees the team will stay in the area and also get out of politics. Should be interesting.

I vote no to building them a stadium.

A second issue is the new legislation addressing RIOTS. The governor and legislature are going to clamp down hard on rioters. Of course Democrats oppose this because they say it will be detrimental to the Black Lives Matter movement. I don't think this GOP controlled state is going to worry about the feelings of Black Lives Matter. If you riot you probably will get your head busted or shot and it will be legal.
Before the All-Star disaster MBL was the highest rated sport amongst Republicans at something like 52% approval. It's dropped to 12%. Just a bone headed mistake.

Dang. I got me one of those wives, too.

You got to tell them you got everything used or on sale real cheap, even scratch a couple things to make it plausible.... and mention everyb30 days or so how you wished you'd bought new like you wanted to.

Learned that great advice from a fella by the last name Combs before I got married. All of that man's marriage advice has proved true over the decades, when it sounded like it would end a marriage.

Just 2 more weeks and it'll be time to plant tomatoes. Surprisingly there's not as much variety this year in the plant nurseries. Especially with heirlooms. Probably another victim of covid.

I noticed that too. May have more to do with the big seed/plant companies being sold, but I was very surprised. They did a TON of business last year on plants. Would've thought they'd be throwing everything at us this year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT