ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

It seems that Trump supporters have protested in DC. Biden is calling it "insurrection", but when BLM protested, it was "justified". Also, the DC Mayor has called in the Nat Guard, but refused to do so in previous rioting. Trump has asked them to go home. Different standards. I guess the political thread had some that pointed this out, and it was looked upon as heresy.

It seems that Trump supporters have protested in DC. Biden is calling it "insurrection", but when BLM protested, it was "justified". Also, the DC Mayor has called in the Nat Guard, but refused to do so in previous rioting. Trump has asked them to go home. Different standards. I guess the political thread had some that pointed this out, and it was looked upon as heresy.

Antifa plants in Trump supporter groups. (It will be made more public but take a while.)

My wife was just telling me that same thing. It doesn't surprise me though.
Don't know if it was on the Political Thread or somewhere else, but read a couple days ago how antifa was instructing their people to wear MAGA hats, carry Trump flags, etc to infiltrate the crowd. Told them to turn their hat backwards so other antifa would know each other.

Don't know if it was on the Political Thread or somewhere else, but read a couple days ago how antifa was instructing their people to wear MAGA hats, carry Trump flags, etc to infiltrate the crowd. Told them to turn their hat backwards so other antifa would know each other.

Antifa is nothing but a bunch of paid terrorist.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 46°F and chilly with a northwesterly wind. We received about 1/3 inch of rain. Expecting 62°F for our high. Nice. Front moving in from the northern Rockies. Possibility for snow flurries on Sunday.

Our Texas Capitol got locked down yesterday over the unrest in Washington DC. Some demonstrations happened around here, but everything remained under control. Sounds good.

Wishing happiness and health to all our fellow D-League members.

D_07_Natl-Tempura-Day-e1420487892149.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

Here's to hoping all are well. Prayers for all who are hurting.

Dental appointment went well yesterday. No pulled teeth, just rebuilt one with a filing. Maybe going with a crown later. One of my biggest anxieties is going to the dentist. Like other medical needs over the years I have been negligent and procrastinating when it comes to my health. In recent months after retiring I have started to give in to my wife's bitc...er...suggestions of getting things taken care of.

Be careful out there today.

By the way...What the heck is a Tempura. I am a simple man so, help me out here.

National Beef Jerky day at my house yesterday. My wife out-did herself (Again). I have the below made (That is a one gallon zip-lock bag.) with about three more bags in the process... YES, I'm thankful!!!

136714283_4106553009358248_2125848499054261125_n.jpg

136677617_4107303359283213_1423491312170900658_n.jpg

Oh, I DO hope all is safe for you in these turbulent times. One can hope and pray that things get better for this once great country. The trajectory is not good.

May God protect you and your family's during these times of upheaval and may justice and good prevail.

God Bless you...

Good morning D League. Hope all is well. I wrote a long post here about yesterday, figuring I had a little insight as someone who has lived and worked around DC for 40 years. But I deleted it. Maybe I’ll post on the Politics thread but this is not the place.

I’ll just add a sentence: I’ve seen protests of half a million angry people easily kept away from the Capitol and White House, and I’m baffled that there was total failure of security yesterday.

I’m out on a walk in a beautiful patch of woods. Going to get back to enjoying it. I hope you all have the chance to do something to sooth your spirit today.

Morning D, well my morning didn't start out good and it's all my fault!!! Mrs. M always has me kiss her bye when she leaves, so when she closed her eyes for me to kiss her, I took my finger and touched the end of her nose, BIG MISTAKE!!!! A blue spark took off about two inches from her nose and ZAPPPP, sounded like a 22 went off!!!! Needless to say, no goodbye kiss, no see you at lunch, just turned and walked out the door!!! I guess it didn't help any with me laughing too!! I may leave before she come home for lunch, if she even does! I am going to fix her a good supper tonight, BBQ pork chops, mashed taters and broccoli. Pray for Cord!!!

They mentioned snow flurries for here today, I bet you can't find a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk anywhere!!

I hope the D, has a great day! Prayers everyday for the D and I hope the D stays a safe zone!!!!!

Morning D, well my morning didn't start out good and it's all my fault!!! Mrs. M always has me kiss her bye when she leaves, so when she closed her eyes for me to kiss her, I took my finger and touched the end of her nose, BIG MISTAKE!!!! A blue spark took off about two inches from her nose and ZAPPPP, sounded like a 22 went off!!!! Needless to say, no goodbye kiss, no see you at lunch, just turned and walked out the door!!! I guess it didn't help any with me laughing too!! I may leave before she come home for lunch, if she even does! I am going to fix her a good supper tonight, BBQ pork chops, mashed taters and broccoli. Pray for Cord!!!

They mentioned snow flurries for here today, I bet you can't find a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk anywhere!!

I hope the D, has a great day! Prayers everyday for the D and I hope the D stays a safe zone!!!!!
Wow. Ever since we pulled our carpet up 11 years ago, our static electricity issues have been next to nil.

Please ensure that supper is extra good.

Sir,
I did that to my wife once.... JUST once -D. Vermin, J. Dangerously... rotflcgu 🤣 (I don't remember anything else that happened that day. -B. Cosby)

Last edited:
Wow. Ever since we pulled our carpet up 11 years ago, our static electricity issues have been next to nil.

Please ensure that supper is extra good.
I use to install carpet so I know all about scooting your feet across the carpet!!!! I always hated when winter rolled around, it made it worse!!! It also depends on what type of clothes you are wearing!!! We got rid of our carpet also but didn't help this morning!!!

Morning D-League. It is another cloudy morning in Smiths Grove with a cold 35.6°F. We actually got sun shine yesterday by 10 am. I really enjoyed it.

Things got crappy yesterday in DC. A bunch of folks need to go to jail. Also the riots of summer need to be addressed also. Hell they have pictures of the perps. Fill up the jails and take the streets back.

About static, when I worked at Dyno Nobel, they always told us that our bodies did not produce enough static to initiate "AN Event"!!!! One of my jobs was to screen PETN through a wire screen of different sizes, 25, 20 and 14 mesh for making det cord. Every morning I had to put on special boots, I think they were non-conductive before I started. I also had to put the powder in what they called the cooler. The powder came out of the centrifuge wet, then to the dryer which was 150 degrees for 5 days, then to me, for a cool down for 3 days, they were in 50lb bags, then I screened it, PETN is the most dangerous when dry!!! Anyway where I was headed was the static was bad in cooling, sometimes you could turn out the lights and sometimes see the static in the dark! Dangerous but I liked my job making det cord!!!! I probably made some of the MILITARY cord that some of you guys used 1-E, M-50 and 1-G which I am not sure who got it. Anyway sorry too bore you guys with this.

Morning D-League. It is another cloudy morning in Smiths Grove with a cold 35.6°F. We actually got sun shine yesterday by 10 am. I really enjoyed it.

Things got crappy yesterday in DC. A bunch of folks need to go to jail. Also the riots of summer need to be addressed also. Hell they have pictures of the perps. Fill up the jails and take the streets back.
The protests this summer were much larger Bert. I was downtown for my own reasons and witnessed some of it. And while most of the people were peaceful - my son went down with his African American high school basketball teammates in solidarity with their right to be treated fairly -- there were many pockets of violence.

The difference? The authorities used tactics in place dating back at least to the Civil Rights protests and Vietnam War protests of the 1960s to channel things away from the White House and Capitol, which can be easily sealed off and turned into virtual fortresses by police and federal authorities.

The simplest answer I suppose is just pure incompetence by the people in charge of security. I guess they just didn't see the prospect of violence coming where they knew that was inevitable with the Black Lives Matter crowd.

Hell, Washington has been threatened by the British Army (successfully) the Confederate Army (almost succesfully - they made the suburbs) assassins, Nazi saboteurs, mobs of the unemployed in the 1930s Depression, Soviet spies, Islamic terrorists, violent and angry protesters from Civil Rights and Vietnam days to massive IMF and BLM protests this century and on and on. Some of those protests involved a half million people. Why, yesterday, was the Capitol breached?

About static, when I worked at Dyno Nobel, they always told us that our bodies did not produce enough static to initiate "AN Event"!!!! One of my jobs was to screen PETN through a wire screen of different sizes, 25, 20 and 14 mesh for making det cord. Every morning I had to put on special boots, I think they were non-conductive before I started. I also had to put the powder in what they called the cooler. The powder came out of the centrifuge wet, then to the dryer which was 150 degrees for 5 days, then to me, for a cool down for 3 days, they were in 50lb bags, then I screened it, PETN is the most dangerous when dry!!! Anyway where I was headed was the static was bad in cooling, sometimes you could turn out the lights and sometimes see the static in the dark! Dangerous but I liked my job making det cord!!!! I probably made some of the MILITARY cord that some of you guys used 1-E, M-50 and 1-G which I am not sure who got it. Anyway sorry too bore you guys with this.
Very interesting read. Thanks for the insight.

Very interesting read. Thanks for the insight.
ATX, I knew every job there except 3, I could take you thru the whole process!!!! I have spun cord as small as 2.5 grain (hardest cord to make) to a 400 grain, which is bigger than a first graders pencil!!!! When you are driving down an interstate, those rock walls where you can see bore holes, that's what the 400 gr was use for, slow powerful cord!!! They worked me like a dog and paid me like a puppy!!!!

As an old failed chemist, I love this stuff.

Used much det cord in my day in emergency destruct training and using it up before it reached its shelf life.

About static, used to have to have a ground wire with rod so that when we were doing sling load operations we would use the rod to release static from the hooks under the helicopter as it hovered over head for pick up. Seen a soldier knocked off of the vehicle not using one once and it was not pretty.

Ok, Bert then I have another one for you. Det cord is watch they call a dry process, the other process is called wet which is mostly your oil and gas process. Any of the cord business, what they call cuts are voids in the cord, which would stop it from going off. Therefore ever thing runs thru an exam machine that stops when a void comes thru, then you have to stop fix the cut then proceed, thus time is money. Spools have anywhere from 500' to 10,000' depending on the product.

Now we had one product called HNS that we made that goes to the deepest wells there is because of the heat. This cord was very hard to make just because of the way it was mixed, we just added water and mixed by hand. I think the powder was $300 a pound and was having lets say 15 cuts in a 500' spool. When I started working in that process I kept trying to figure out how to reduce those cuts. We came up with a screen that we worked the powder thru, with doing that we took the cuts down by half! There is one process in the dry cord that at one time, was so secret that when they had visitors, they covered the windows so nobody could see that process, it was what made det cord shoot so fast! There are some awesome videos on youtube that shows what I made!! It's under Dyno Nobel. I had a blast while I was working there!!!

One more thing, you should see the layout of this place where I worked, each building is so many feet apart with a berm taller than each building, separating each building, reason every thing goes up not sideways to shield each building in case of an "EVENT" Hope I am not boring yawl!

I am going to pull ours up hopefully soon after my wife figures out what kind of floor she wants other than carpet.
WC, since I was in the installation and carpet business for about 35 years I'll throw my $.01 worth at you. Lowes makes a laminate called Smartcore, I installed a lot of laminates but this is the best I ever worked with, it's what I put in my house last year. If any of the D, has any questions about any floor work, I'll try to answer! I put Blue Ridge Pine in mine, beautiful floor!!!

Ok, Bert then I have another one for you. Det cord is watch they call a dry process, the other process is called wet which is mostly your oil and gas process. Any of the cord business, what they call cuts are voids in the cord, which would stop it from going off. Therefore ever thing runs thru an exam machine that stops when a void comes thru, then you have to stop fix the cut then proceed, thus time is money. Spools have anywhere from 500' to 10,000' depending on the product.

Now we had one product called HNS that we made that goes to the deepest wells there is because of the heat. This cord was very hard to make just because of the way it was mixed, we just added water and mixed by hand. I think the powder was $300 a pound and was having lets say 15 cuts in a 500' spool. When I started working in that process I kept trying to figure out how to reduce those cuts. We came up with a screen that we worked the powder thru, with doing that we took the cuts down by half! There is one process in the dry cord that at one time, was so secret that when they had visitors, they covered the windows so nobody could see that process, it was what made det cord shoot so fast! There are some awesome videos on youtube that shows what I made!! It's under Dyno Nobel. I had a blast while I was working there!!!

One more thing, you should see the layout of this place where I worked, each building is so many feet apart with a berm taller than each building, separating each building, reason every thing goes up not sideways to shield each building in case of an "EVENT" Hope I am not boring yawl!

Cord, my memory is not what it used to be, but from my old demolition days, I believe that some det cord had velocities of up to 31K-32K feet per second. I know it had the fastest detonation velocity of anything we used.

Cord, my memory is not what it used to be, but from my old demolition days, I believe that some det cord had velocities of up to 31K-32K feet per second. I know it had the fastest detonation velocity of anything we used.
Mr. Ben you are probably right, I worked the process that made it shoot fast!!! That process had me on edge more than anywhere I worked in the plant. This was the secret place at one time. I ran 6 machines that "crushed" the cord with two sets of weights!!!! Cord came in packed tight I sent it out loose!!!! It's an amazing process!!!!

One last thing then I'll shut up! Maybe!

I was 54 when I got a second chance in my life, carpet business in our area was going to heck, because of Lowe's Home Depot and big business! You buy our carpet, you pay $100 for installation and we'll throw the pad in free!!! We didn't have a chance. So I ask GOD to please help me and he did, got almost 11 years at Dyno, I just ask GOD for 5!!!!

The job this 54 year old started out on was called Bottlefill, which is exactly what it was, I screened PETN and filled gallon jugs.

I handled a lot of tonnage every day. This was the process.
1- Move anywhere from 9-12 lots a day, one lot was 300 lbs, 6 bags 50lbs each from the dryer to cooling!
2- Move 7-10 lots a day from cooling to Bottlefill, 300lbs, 6 bags 50lbs each.
3- Take one lot 6 bags 50lbs each screen it into a hopper.
4- Empty hopper by putting it into gallon jugs into a box that held 7 jugs, then move that lot onto a table, 6 boxes per lot. Anywhere from 6-10 lots per day
5- When they called for powder I took 6 boxes off the table outside and loaded it on a cart, I supplied two buildings
6- I walked the cart to each building unloaded the powder and put it on a table in each building, took empty boxes back onto the cart and pushed the cart back up the hill!!!

So you can do the math and see how much I handled every day, freeze my rear off in the winter and hotter than heck in the summer!!! Not bad for 54, I lost 24 lbs the first month I was there.

I was a temp there for 6 months, after about the first two weeks I would come home and tell Mrs. M I just don't think I can handle it, they are tryin to kill me!!! But she just kept encouraging me, after 6 months they hired me full time, so I quit working so hard!!! No I didn't! It's hard to explain, but this job was the hardest job in the plant, but I loved it! This is where they saw that I was a good worker, I NEVER backed down from a challenge they threw at me! That's also what got me in so much trouble some times mouthing off! If the so called utility operator didn't want to do the job they asked her to, she would just say go get Cord, he'll do it!!! Favoritism pissess me off!!! She got utility pay, I didn't!!!! END OF RANT!!! Sorry D!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT