ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly Donovan AKA Norlander said this about Lanier

Be interesting to see if Pope can close in big time players. That was always the question.
Always the question? Want to clarify that? It sure wasn't the question at BYU. Most great players do not want a coach or the school telling them they can't smoke, drink, consume cafe, have sex, those types of things. That's what he was up against. Because he's running a gutted UK program, most kids don't want to play here at the moment. I'm sure they envision lots of losing, regardless of who the coach is. Once he's settled in, things will be more stable, even on the recruiting and portal fronts.

Always the question? Want to clarify that? It sure wasn't the question at BYU. Most great players do not want a coach or the school telling them they can't smoke, drink, consume cafe, have sex, those types of things. That's what he was up against. Because he's running a gutted UK program, most kids don't want to play here at the moment. I'm sure they envision lots of losing, regardless of who the coach is. Once he's settled in, things will be more stable, even on the recruiting and portal fronts.
Yes it was always a question. He's coached at a mormon school with the restrictions you mentioned. And at a midmajor. He's very Green as a HC. It's not some weird take to think he was/is questioned as a recruiter. I do agree that once he's settled in recruiting will be more stable. Likely year 3.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Exactly, plus he was one of their only threats. I’m sure he saw a lot of attention. Can’t do that on a better team. How many 5 star freshman come in and score 15 a game? I’d say he’s closer to 18-19 here honestly.
Wonder why he was so slow out of the gate as a player?
Looked very pedestrian the first couple years even at a low major like NFU then blew up last year.
I hope he goes to the G league elite camp just to see how he stacks up with others there.

• Haha
Reactions: EastLansingCat
Looked very pedestrian the first couple years even at a low major like NFU then blew up last year.
I hope he goes to the G league elite camp just to see how he stacks up with others there.
His first year was Covid year and he only played 10 games. Looks like he was a role player his first 2 years and he really worked on his game. Not rare to have someone who really breaks out their junior and senior years. He improved his 3 point % 10% in his 2nd full season. That was on 241 attempts and 106 makes. Doesn’t seem fluky to me either on that number.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2024/5/8...ucky-vs-tennessee-uk-basketball-north-florida
Along with the 9 players already on board. You add in a 6'4" shooting guard like Chaz Lanier a .440% shooter from 3 point range. Then add in a 6'7" small forward that's a lights out 3 point shooter like Trent Noah. Then if coach Pope could some how land a 6'9" forward like Achor Achor that shoots .435% from 3 point range, I would start to believe that we could win the national championship next season. We would have great size 6'9", 6;10", 6'10", 6'11". Great shooters all over the court, great depth, with tons of experience. This team could absolutely win the national championship.

Butler - KK - Perry
Lanier - Brea - Chandler
Robinson - Oweh

That looks like one too many mouths to feed in a rotational scenario.

Butler/KK are locked in at the point guard.

If UK lands Lanier and Robinson, does it scare away Oweh? I could see Pope selling 3/4 guys from the Lanier/Robinson/Brea/Oweh quartet, but how does he sell all four guys on being real rotational pieces?

Lanier's going to play 26 to 30 minutes/game. Same for Robinson. That leaves 20 to 28 minutes for one bench piece at the 2/3. The math doesn't add up to have two high level players off the bench.

Maybe Pope takes both Robinson and Lanier and just lets the chips fall where they may. If a current guy gets scared and leaves, it is what it is.

I imagine the UK coaching staff like the crew from the film, Heat, discussing the pros/cons of each decision. Instead of, "The bank is worth the risk"; they infuse, "Lanier and Robinson are worth the risk."

929c0924-c0a0-4e1e-9dd2-98026260784d_text.gif

91SDLW.gif

Reactions: ManitouDan
Lanier's going to play 26 to 30 minutes/game. Same for Robinson. That leaves 20 to 28 minutes for one bench piece at the 2/3. The math doesn't add up to have two high level players off the bench.
Every team has a drop off toward the end of the bench. Nobody has high-level players at after around the 9th guy. Well, we did once and it turned out to be fool's gold.

Slow your roll. Pope is not winning the national championship next year. Dude has never won an NCAA game.
Didn't realize that was a requirement? How many NCAA games did Dusty May win before he took FAU to the Final Four? How many NCAA games did Steve Fisher win before he guided Michigan to a National Championship? How many NCAA wins did Pitino have before he guided Providence to the Final Four?

Is the hype for Lanier justified?
It’s always hard to project exactly how well a guy will do when he takes a major step up in competition level, but I would say that it most likely is because he was an efficiency monster last year in a way that’s tough to fluke into. He took 87% of all his field goal attempts either from 3 or at the rim, and shot a gaudy 43% from 3 and 69% at the rim while playing that way. He also shot 88% at the free throw line and rarely turns the ball over. I’ve been saying we need a true scorer for me to feel better about our roster, and he’d be that guy in my opinion.

So… is Brea gonna play the 3, with Oweh as his backup? If so we are giving up some size.

But if he’s gonna play the 2 (with Chandler as his backup) then why recruit Lanier? Not trying to be contrary, just that it seems we need another PF and a true SF.
Some places have Brea at 6'7, others like ESPN say 6'6 , thats good size for a SF in college. He's better at going to the rim than people think, thats why people didnt just get up all in his grill and he had the ability to make 100 threes. Lanier at 6'4 is good size for a college SG. 6'2 Butler and 6'3 Kriisa are good sizes for PG's in college. Oweh 6'5 for playing the 3 could use another inch or 2 but he's built like a work truck and really athletic , its not like Bledsoe at the 3 at all.
This seems misleading. Trilly said it looks like UK or UT but that it still leans toward UT.
yeah he says its 50/50 now but he's also just playing it safe because thats how trilly is, when a team is thought to have a player locked up, it takes a lot more info otherwise before he's willing to say the other team overtook the original lock team.
Meh. Uconn and Kansas were loaded at his spot for Brea and Nova was all we had to beat for Carr.
Doesnt matter how the good players got here . You think the 5 on UConn's roster this last season would have been there if Duke, UNC, UK, or Kansas had made them priorities? all that matters is what they do when they are playing for you.
can be lots of reasons, maybe the coach is a upper classmen get the plays ran for them kinda coach, maybe he finally figured out something shooting wise and that made everything click, etc etc. Jaxson Robinson was dreadful until this past season too. sometimes things just click and it all comes together.
Slow your roll. Pope is not winning the national championship next year. Dude has never won an NCAA game.
No one is saying he's going to win a title but its also not impossible. Kevin Ollie went from winning nothing to winning a title in 2014 and he was a yuck coach... Pope didnt have the players to win a game in the NCAAT at BYU, its not like it was his coaching on the court that caused it.

It’s always hard to project exactly how well a guy will do when he takes a major step up in competition level, but I would say that it most likely is because he was an efficiency monster last year in a way that’s tough to fluke into. He took 87% of all his field goal attempts either from 3 or at the rim, and shot a gaudy 43% from 3 and 69% at the rim while playing that way. He also shot 88% at the free throw line and rarely turns the ball over. I’ve been saying we need a true scorer for me to feel better about our roster, and he’d be that guy in my opinion.

Thanks for that solid post in response to my question. Good stuff. His jump from 2 years ago to last year is almost like he found a genie-in-a-bottle. But, his consistency and against some decent competition is noted.

Butler - KK - Perry
Lanier - Brea - Chandler
Robinson - Oweh

If UK lands Lanier and Robinson, does it scare away Oweh? I could see Pope selling 3/4 guys from the Lanier/Robinson/Brea/Oweh quartet, but how does he sell all four guys on being real rotational pieces?

Maybe Pope takes both Robinson and Lanier and just lets the chips fall where they may. If a current guy gets scared and leaves, it is what it is.

I imagine the UK coaching staff like the crew from the film, Heat, discussing the pros/cons of each decision. Instead of, "The bank is worth the risk"; they infuse, "Lanier and Robinson are worth the risk."
A good portal player isn't signing on to play 10-15 min IMO. The only way I see pope taking 2 more is if they play Robinson at PF for 10-15 minutes!

If he's impressed with Pope's style of play, that should eliminate UT, no?

Tennessee ain't known for its offense.
All they have to do is sell him on the idea he will get the shots Knecht got last year. Tell him that he is in the exact same position as Knecht was last year, a mid major transfer that went from not being drafted to SEC player of the year, 1st team All-American and now lottery pick. I think this is all window dressing and that he is going to Tennessee.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2024/5/8...ucky-vs-tennessee-uk-basketball-north-florida
Along with the 9 players already on board. You add in a 6'4" shooting guard like Chaz Lanier a .440% shooter from 3 point range. Then add in a 6'7" small forward that's a lights out 3 point shooter like Trent Noah. Then if coach Pope could some how land a 6'9" forward like Achor Achor that shoots .435% from 3 point range, I would start to believe that we could win the national championship next season. We would have great size 6'9", 6;10", 6'10", 6'11". Great shooters all over the court, great depth, with tons of experience. This team could absolutely win the national championship.
It's never been ro
Is the hype for Lanier justified?
No

No thanks.

Lots of rumors down here about him being a real headache and locker room problem that UF was glad to get rid of, and he was super inefficient with middling numbers but expects to be a star.
Damn, nvr mind them, poplar it is if Kentucky misses on laneir & robinson

Reactions: Cayts69
Butler - KK - Perry
Lanier - Brea - Chandler
Robinson - Oweh

929c0924-c0a0-4e1e-9dd2-98026260784d_text.gif

91SDLW.gif
In that scenario the 4 of Lanier Robinson brea and Oweh should be your main 4 guys. Butler Carr and Williams should be the main supporting guys. I’m not high on Kerr Krisa, he should be the one who takes a back seat. Garrison should be for foul trouble or if Kentucky needs a couple of mins. Perry & Chandlers first year needs to be about development and being ready for year 2

Reactions: track42
In today's game I dont think means near as much . An experienced team on a hot streak with BBN behind them , unified , --- We could win it . Not winning a NCAAT at BYU is no crime . It's NOT probable but I dont think it's out of the question.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT