ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I too was an avid baseball card collector. Mostly Topps but a few Bowman. I had all of the greats. Someone gave me a baseball card collectors album and I put an entire season of cards in the album. The hundreds of others cards were in cigar boxes by team. (In those days you could get free cigar boxes from any store in town that sold cigars). I had a room full of them.

I put the album with cards in the bottom of my dresser drawer when I started college and left it there. The cigar boxes were stacked to the ceiling. After college I went straight to the Army and mother totally cleaned out my room. She knew I was never coming back to live. I never saw the cards again. Except for the album I had in the bottom of the dresser drawer. Some way it was saved and I still have it. I have some great ones in the album including a Babe Ruth my daddy had as a youngster.
I was mostly a Topps collector too, but I also had a few Donruss and Fleer cards. 15 cards and what was supposed to be a stick of bubble gum. Anytime I earned a dollar as a kid, I would by as many packs as I could afford.

I remember that. Watching these videos of when baseball was king, stands were full, brings back good memories of when sports was worth watching. No politics...no political 'statements'...no wearing of a Marxist T-shirt (looking at you Cal).....just good old fashion Americana fun.
One of my favorite baseball shows as a kid, and I hardly missed an episode on Saturdays. It wasn't the same after Mel Allen though.

I was just watching the bitchfest over on rafters and here are my thoughts. Everyone has a right to gripe, since this is the worst start, ever. But, I think a lot had to do with Covid. Usually, these young kids come on campus the 1st of June. They work out with coaches, and past players. This year, they didn't get on campus until the 1st of August, and they did not have the 2 exhibition games. Plus, Brooks, our best player has been out all season. We have lost 3 games by a total of 7 pts. Anybody not think that Brooks doesn't make this team at least 7-8 pts better? If he had played, we would have been 4-3, at the worst, and that is with the Covid issues that I mentioned. Still wouldn't be great, but we would be in decent shape to make the tournament, which I doubt we do, now. I just hope Brooks decides to come back next year.
Great response. I was unaware players arrived so late on campus this season until my wife mentioned it the other night.

Agreed, COVID is indeed a factor in this historically horrible start. I believe Brooks could've certainly made an impact had he been available.

Rafters overreacts big-time. You were correct a few weeks ago when describing how critical some posters over there are about everything. Except for commenting about the old days of Coach Hall, Sutton, Pitino, Tubby and Billy G, I usually refrain from making negative comments about Cal on Rafters.

Folks over there also possess short memories. Tubby went 44-25 his last two seasons followed by 40-27 Gillispie.

We're witnessing a fluke season. Am I happy? No, but I'm not gonna blast my sentiments through cyberspace about my displeasure.

Anybody have Bill James 2000 Baseball Historical Abstract? Since several of you seem to love baseball, this is a must have book. He goes through baseball by the decade, starting in the 1860's, talking about interesting things and players in each decade. He rates the top 100 players of all time and the top 100 at each position with anywhere from a paragraph to several pages on each player. Lots of interesting stories, not just numbers. For those who don't know, Bill is known as the father of sabermetrics and was an agent for a while.

I was mostly a Topps collector too, but I also had a few Donruss and Fleer cards. 15 cards and what was supposed to be a stick of bubble gum. Anytime I earned a dollar as a kid, I would by as many packs as I could afford.
Some of that 'bubble gum' was pretty bad. Like chewing some shoe leather or cardboard.

gum-and-baseball-XL-BLOG0417.jpg

FYI, my opinions have gotten me banned on the political board because of my support for our truly elected president Donald Trump. mainstream media wants us to believe its over, when in fact our/your President still has a very very good chance of holding office thanks to honest news reporting from Newsmax and OAN...This fraudulent election is far from over..MAGA!! I pray and hope!!

Good morning from ATX. Currently 64°F with 75% humidity and a 30% rain chance. Expecting 100% tomorrow. We'll hit 72°F by 4 pm today. Cold front should arrive by tomorrow afternoon with higher winds. Wife is blasting AC as I type this post. Meh, another two more days of good walking weather.

We're at stage-5 of these COVID stages and could get locked down with a curfew in the coming days. Hopefully not, as I'd really like heading back east on January 16. Stay tuned.

Wishing all our fellow D-League members happiness and health.

39196682_10156590676969694_5007104381556883456_n.png

Good morning D League

We are a pleasant 56° and the high will reach 72° by mid afternoon. Lots of sunshine. I have a lot of yard work to do and it should be a good day to get out there. 55wildcat you are always welcome at my house. Bring your flag and we will run it up the pole.

I am enjoying a hot cup of coffee and need a refill. Trust all have a great day.

Morning Legionnaires!

60's for today with rain and then turning colder with possible freezing rain on Thursday and Friday. Was not going anywhere for New Years anyway so...

Like the old baseball stories. The older guys played the game because they loved it so. Today's may have started out that way but now everyone is trying to be the most paid. Missed playing slow pitch softball this year because of Covid. We were just coming off of a D State Championship from the previous year. Don't know where that picture is but I have one from an E State from 2015 we won in Norman OK and one from CO-ED from the same year. I have won about 12 State titles over the years here in OK with teams I have played on with the highest being 3 B States early on. As we get older we play down. The first picture has 4 people in their 50's and one mid 40's on it. I am on the right as you are looking at both pictures.

Good morning D-League. Beautiful sunrise here that made my morning hike more pleasant.

My wife gets the first part of the Covid vaccine today, so in a more tangible way it’s feeling for us like there is an end in sight—unless she turns into a giant arachnid or something.

Hope it is a good day for all.

Good morning D,, cold day here with a lot of rain coming later on this week, could be worst though, could be snow or ice! Looks like Northwest of us is going to get bad!

Got one project done yesterday, the handicap bar is up. Man is porcelain ever hard to drill, trick is just keep a wet rag close and just keep cooling the bit down!!!

Going to try to make a Titan T for my preacher friend to hang up for his tree or a suncatcher, did a trial run on some difficult inside breaks on the glass, so I'll try the real thing today. Going to ship out another ornament to Dawson Springs soon, a trial run just to see how long it takes.

Been up since 12:30, going to be a long day!!!

I have been a St. louis Cardinal my whole life. I guess Musial or Gibson were my favorites!

Have a great day D, prayers!!!!

When I was young i can remember checking out the couches and chairs ever once in a while just to see if I could find a little extra spending money!!! When I was installing carpet, there were some things you just didn't want to find when you moved furniture!!!!!
I can second that. I worked for North American Van Lines when I was in college and we got a lot of surprises. Most were in the couch.

Well for Starchief, Don, Bert and people like myself there is always hope. Here is one of my daddy's favorite players hitting a home run deep into the seats off of Warren Spahn. Spannnie was a pretty good picture in his day. Appling hit the home run when he was 75 years old. SEVENTY FIVE. Few people can swing a bat at 75 much less hit one out of the park.

I could swing a bat but not very hard! Running the bases would be painful!

I'd say one-offs are fine, and may fall under fair use, but don't quote me on it. Please understand where I'm coming from on this. Institutions are usually proactive about protecting their brand. UK is a brand. UTexas (I call them that because of UT in Knoxville) is a brand. I've seen these brands come after people over intellectual property rights infringement. They usually win because they've got the $. Just be careful.
I got a trade mark and copyright at CSX for the first ever computerized tariff that I developed. The lawyer we saw in getting the intellectual rights said you sue every infringement or don't bother filing the trade mark or copyright. We never had to but we were ready. CSX had two floors of lawyers so we were ready.

For brands like McDonalds, Schools etc., it is very important to protect your brand. I know that you can't touch McDonalds without ending up in court.

Good morning D-League. Beautiful sunrise here that made my morning hike more pleasant.

My wife gets the first part of the Covid vaccine today, so in a more tangible way it’s feeling for us like there is an end in sight—unless she turns into a giant arachnid or something.

Hope it is a good day for all.
The upside would be she could clean the outside of the house with little effort.

It is a crisp frosty morning here, we just crawled up over 30°.

I recall that Mickey Mantle was supposed to be the fastest from home plate to first base. My memory may be faulty but I think that was the case. Of course when you hit a homer you don't need to be fast to first. :cool:

It is a crisp frosty morning here, we just crawled up over 30°.

I recall that Mickey Mantle was supposed to be the fastest from home plate to first base. My memory may be faulty but I think that was the case. Of course when you hit a homer you don't need to be fast to first. :cool:
According to Baseball Historian

Mantle, when batting left-handed was timed running from home-plate to first base in 3.1 seconds (the fastest time of any player in history).

According to Baseball Historian

Mantle, when batting left-handed was timed running from home-plate to first base in 3.1 seconds (the fastest time of any player in history).

I'm curious to know what his time would be with today's laser/electronic timing. These days, with "Stat-cast" set up in every major league stadium, they can time players running the bases and with running catches in the outfield, throwing velocity from the outfield, and so on. Very interesting.

I know from my track/field days, the difference between "hand-timing" with a stopwatch and electronic timing is usually, almost always, 0.2 tenths of a second difference. This is often evident in football, when you hear of the speedsters that can run 40yard dash times of 4.2 ( or whatever blazing fast time); when these same guys are timed with laser-beam, electronic timing, it's really about 4.4 seconds.

Whatever the case, I'm sure Mickey was and would be tops in speed running the bases in any era. In one of those old clips you sent to me a while back, the world series game, I believe I saw Mickey beat out a routine grounder to 2nd base.

But, to have that kind of power and speed combo is very rare. I would like to have seen Mantle race against Cincinnati Reds George Case. Once, in a pre-game exhibition, Case ran against Jesse Owens and lost only by one full stride.

.....the difference between "hand-timing" with a stopwatch and electronic timing is usually, almost always, 0.2 tenths of a second difference. This is often evident in football, when you hear of the speedsters that can run 40yard dash times of 4.2 ( or whatever blazing fast time); when these same guys are timed with laser-beam, electronic timing, it's really about 4.4 seconds.
That's interesting. I would have thought it would have been the other way around. Guy hits the first base bag or finish line and I would have thought there would have been a 'human' delay in hitting/pushing stop on the stopwatch.

That's interesting. I would have thought it would have been the other way around. Guy hits the first base bag or finish line and I would have thought there would have been a 'human' delay in hitting/pushing stop on the stopwatch.

I think that the discrepancies occur at the start, i.e. a slight, micro-second, delay in starting the hand timing stopwatch vs. the timing starting at the instant the gun goes off. Other methods, like they use in the NFL combine, have a laser timer at the starting line that is triggered at the player's first movement.

I think that the discrepancies occur at the start, i.e. a slight, micro-second, delay in starting the hand timing stopwatch vs. the timing starting at the instant the gun goes off. Other methods, like they use in the NFL combine, have a laser timer at the starting line that is triggered at the player's first movement.
When Mantle was timed he was batting. So he swung, dropped his bat and took off to first. Do you know if anyone in today's game, with all of the laser timing devices, has beat 3.1 seconds? Was Deion Sanders timed? Just curious.

It takes 1/10 of a second for our nerves to get the information and respond. So the 2/10 of a second makes a lot of sense to me. You see it and then respond to it. I think that 2/10 of a second is remarkable for us humans!

When Mantle was timed he was batting. So he swung, dropped his bat and took off to first. Do you know if anyone in today's game, with all of the laser timing devices, has beat 3.1 seconds? Was Deion Sanders timed? Just curious.

I'm not sure about who all has been timed the fastest since the advent of electronic timing, but I did see that Jose Altuve and Billy Hamilton were timed on a bunt, from the right handed side, in 3.3 seconds a couple years ago. As for Deion, I remember he used to steal bases standing up with no slide quite often. Bo Jackson was also super fast on the bases.

Mickey, in today's modern game, with all the year-round training, nutrition experts, physical therapy, etc....would be unbelievable to watch play. If you think about it, with the way he abused his body with all the drinking, drugs, carousing, etc....and so on, there's no way he could get away with that today with a tightly monitored as the players are now. Plus, with his injuries, he missed a lot of games per year, over 20 games per year on average. Today, I doubt he would miss as much if he took better care of himself and had access to all the advantages that athletes have now.

He would put records so far out of reach that nobody could catch him. Oh, and with today's ball parks with smaller dimensions, his home runs would be off the charts. I also think that he would still be the fastest man if he played today.

It's fun to imagine what he would be like.

I always wonder what Mantle could have done in today's world with steroids, training facilities and year round workouts. The Yankees were owned by a beer company when he played and the locker room was always supplied with as much iced down beer as one could drink. Babe Ruth played half of the games drunk. Mantle and his gang led by Billy Martin were the biggest boozers in New York City and after a game would stay out all night in New York City nightclubs.

I went to many spring training work outs when I was a kid and the players reported completely out of shape. After the season I doubt any of them trained other than fishing or playing golf. Training was basic, like these Dodgers doing Jumping Jacks. Fans could mix and mingle with the players on the field.

Here are two of the Brookly Dodgers best pitchers in the early 50's. Preacher Roe and Joe Black (Joe Black was the first black man to win a world series game.) 1952. This is Spring Training in 1953 at Vero Beach

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Back in the 70s, when I used to live in Ventura CA, I used to go to a college campus (Cal Lutheran, Thousand Oaks) where the Dallas Cowboys trained. You could stand right on the sidelines among the players when they were training.

Last edited:
Well for Starchief, Don, Bert and people like myself there is always hope. Here is one of my daddy's favorite players hitting a home run deep into the seats off of Warren Spahn. Spannnie was a pretty good picture in his day. Appling hit the home run when he was 75 years old. SEVENTY FIVE. Few people can swing a bat at 75 much less hit one out of the park.

I can still swing a bat at 77. The only problem is that the catcher has already caught the pitch and thrown the ball back to the pitcher before I finish the swing.

For you Mantle fans: I'm one of those guys whose mother did NOT throw out his baseball cards. Here are a few Mantles I saved from the late 50s and early 60s. They aren't in top condition, so not worth that much, but they do bring back memories.
Really cool. Thanks for sharing.

Back in the 70s, when I used to live in Ventura CA, I used to go to a college campus (Cal Lutheran, Thousand Oaks) where the Dallas Cowboys trained. You could stand right on the sidelines among the players when they were training.
Back in the 70's and 80’s I would go to some road games with UK and Joe B. Hall. For some reason Joe B. liked me and he was my main connection to Kentucky.

I went to the road practices, ate breakfast with the team and I would go out before the game with Joe B. and try to find "bobby pins". Bobby pins were Joe B. Hall's superstitious thing. All Coaches are superstitious beings. Now I doubt that you could ever find a “bobby pin”. Girls don’t use them much, but it was important back then.

We now live in a world that is totally different than the world of the ’60 ’s, ’70 ’s, ’80 ’s and ‘90’s. It may be better, but I doubt it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT