ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

that one is a toughie
good question (and good to see ya back)

If we're talking Hendrix - it'd have to be before 1970 (for him) - Elton John could have done it later
I'm going to throw a wild guess out there - Earth Wind & Fire, but probably way off

This one is hard even for me. The band was the Isley Brothers. Jimi was their guitarist before Ernie Isley took over. Elton John was hired to play keyboards on the Isleys' first Euro tour. Reginald was in his early 20's then. THREE Rock and Roll HoF inductees (the Isleys themselves, Jimi, and Elton).

For my question, I'll offer one that combines my love of music with my hometown.

In the days of segregation, black entertainers traveled throughout the country performing in a few famous--and some not so famous locations. My hometown of Hopkinsville, with a large African-American population, hosted the likes of Ray Charles, Count Basie, B.B. King, Tina & Ike Turner, Jimi Hendrix, James Brown and many others.

What did they call this tour across America?

(Just noticed GhostVol is on-line, probably served him up an easy one.)

This one is hard even for me. The band was the Isley Brothers. Jimi was their guitarist before Ernie Isley took over. Elton John was hired to play keyboards on the Isleys' first Euro tour. Reginald was in his early 20's then. THREE Rock and Roll HoF inductees (the Isleys themselves, Jimi, and Elton).
oh wow, very cool -
I even thought the Isleys for a minute - but dismissed it

Love the classic cars, Donfather. I'd be scared to drive them tho. I'd like an old car that was pretty much a jalopy, just so I could see how I could keep it running. That's why part of me is glad the Cuban embargo is over. I'd love to see how those guys kept those old American cars running for over 50/60 years!

410b0789bf51c1b6d045dbc347ac9e2d.jpg

For my question, I'll offer one that combines my love of music with my hometown.

In the days of segregation, black entertainers traveled throughout the country performing in a few famous--and some not so famous locations. My hometown of Hopkinsville, with a large African-American population, hosted the likes of Ray Charles, Count Basie, B.B. King, Tina & Ike Turner, Jimi Hendrix, James Brown and many others.

I'll leave it alone, because Nashville was part of that tour (that most folk don't know about). The other two locations close to me were Huntsville, AL, and Muscle Shoals, AL.

Chittlin Circuit?

Correct answer Starchief.

I was older when I first learned about the musical greats that toured through my little home town. Shocked was probably an appropriate term. I knew Hendrix played in the area as he was stationed at Fort Campbell....but never knew about the rest.

Starchief--you are at bat.

I remember when my parents would take a roll of film into the developers, insert a new roll of film and 12-18 months later we'd get 24 new pictures. And I rarely look at those old photos.

Now, a lot of people take that many every day. WTF are they going to do in 10 years when they realize they have 50,000+ pictures?

Love the classic cars, Donfather. I'd be scared to drive them tho. I'd like an old car that was pretty much a jalopy, just so I could see how I could keep it running. That's why part of me is glad the Cuban embargo is over. I'd love to see how those guys kept those old American cars running for over 50/60 years!
I was in Bogota, Columbia in 1974. There is a huge tax that has to be paid on any car that is imported, so that is why the cars are rebuilt over and over. As I recall there was a street there and for a couple of blocks that were engine shops, transmission shops, interior shops, exterior and all of the other stuff. Our guide sported a '55 Pontiac. The interior and exterior was like new. Whenever he would park that thing he would take the windshield wiper, an item that waifs would steal readily. A quick dollar perhaps. We stayed at The Tecandama Hotel. There was no heat or air-conditioning, It's always about 65 degrees. Two classes of people, rich and poor. No middle class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT