ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Science Break:

In a galaxy cluster far,far away. This is galaxy cluster CL J1001. The new record holder for the farthest observed galaxy cluster at 11.1 billion light years from earth.
coscluster.jpg

It's core contains eleven massive galaxies – nine of which are experiencing an impressive baby boom of stars. Specifically, stars are forming in the cluster’s core at a rate that is equivalent to over 3,000 Suns forming per year, a remarkably high value for a galaxy cluster, including those that are almost as distant, and therefore as young, as CL J1001. We are seeing this cluster very soon after formation. To date only loose collections of galaxies have been observed beyond this distance, no galaxy clusters.

Last edited:
Science Break:

In a galaxy cluster far,far away. This is galaxy cluster CL J1001. The new record holder for the farthest observed galaxy cluster at 11.1 billion light years from earth.
coscluster.jpg

It's core of contains eleven massive galaxies – nine of which are experiencing an impressive baby boom of stars. Specifically, stars are forming in the cluster’s core at a rate that is equivalent to over 3,000 Suns forming per year, a remarkably high value for a galaxy cluster, including those that are almost as distant, and therefore as young, as CL J1001. We are seeing this cluster very soon after formation. To date only loose collections of galaxies have been observed beyond this distance, no galaxy clusters.
Do you think those galaxies are still there? Wouldn't it be prudent to assume they have gone dark by now?

Do you think those galaxies are still there? Wouldn't it be prudent to assume they have gone dark by now?

Coin toss. Since we are seeing them as they were 11.1 billion years ago their star formation has probably slowed considerably as they used up all the gas. Unless they encountered large interstellar gas clouds refueling them. However they will still be gravitationally tied together as a group unless they encountered another cluster of passing galaxies to disrupt them.

Finishing a movie and then it's off to the kitchen to make some bbq sauce. I'm cooking an 8.5lb butt for some people on Saturday. Gonna start it tomorrow around 1200 and plan on 20 hours. Made some rub yesterday that should be pretty good. If the amount of ingredients means anything, it will be awesome.

That Hank Jr. clip has a ton of great stars....and sadly many are no longer with us.

The original studio piano player, John Jarvis, is an old acquaintance of mine. I ask him once to play something I might recognize, he stepped to a piano and played that little opening bit from the song. His comment, "Hank asked me if I could come up with something Indian"....and that's what he threw out there.

When I got home I Googled John's name and was blown away by his work.....I had probably 30 different CDs in my collection that he was on.

That Hank Jr. clip has a ton of great stars....and sadly many are no longer with us.

The original studio piano player, John Jarvis, is an old acquaintance of mine. I ask him once to play something I might recognize, he stepped to a piano and played that little opening bit from the song. His comment, "Hank asked me if I could come up with something Indian"....and that's what he threw out there.

When I got home I Googled John's name and was blown away by his work.....I had probably 30 different CDs in my collection that he was on.
You would have to watch it several times to notice everyone, still don't think I could. That was a hell of a party they had there. Would like to have been there. Even Porter Wagner on hand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT