Who should be next HC?

• Curt Cignetti

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Jon Sumrall

Votes: 63 70.0%
  • Someone else

Votes: 12 13.3%

• Total voters
I’m well aware of that, but Mitch knew Hurley was going to say no and Drew was a close friend so he was obligated to try because the fans demanded it, at least with Hurley. but prying someone away from a place they’ve been for a very long time is difficult as it was with Drew. Pope was his fallback but he didn’t hesitate after asking Drew and Hurley. Feel like tge fans are pretty much demanding Sumrall at this point.
I’m not sure there has ever been a more obvious choice tbh. A P4 program is going to get him very soon. The dude can recruit better than anyone that has coached here (yes, better than Vince), has the “it” factor, is an alum of the university and is crushing it in the G5. He probably has the best G5 record over the past 3 seasons of any coach out there. If the decision is to go that route…he’s the guy imo.

As mentioned above, Cignetti's 64...he's going nowhere. He'll retire at IU.
Not a major difference, but Cignetti is actually 63. I think that 8-10 years is a good stretch in today's world of college football, and he could likely manage that somewhere .... if he chose to leave IU.
The man is very intriguing. His father was a longtime cfb head coach, including at WVU, where he gave Nick Saban his first job. His brother is an assistant at Pitt. Curt Cignetti served as an assistant at several P4 schools before spending 4-5 years at Alabama under Saban in the latter half of the 2000's.
Subsequently, he has been a head coach at a couple of lower division schools, immediately turning around the programs and taking them to the playoffs. He built James Madison into a relative power, replicating the same success in his first year. He is only in year one in Bloomington, but everyone can see the immediate impact he had.
Two other things: He can recruit (was recruiting coordinator at 'Bama) and the man has more fire and energy than most coaches of any age.
Not everyone is enamored with him, but I would like for UF to take a look at him if/when we let Napier go.

Not a major difference, but Cignetti is actually 63. I think that 8-10 years is a good stretch in today's world of college football, and he could likely manage that somewhere .... if he chose to leave IU.
The man is very intriguing. His father was a longtime cfb head coach, including at WVU, where he gave Nick Saban his first job. His brother is an assistant at Pitt. Curt Cignetti served as an assistant at several P4 schools before spending 4-5 years at Alabama under Saban in the latter half of the 2000's.
Subsequently, he has been a head coach at a couple of lower division schools, immediately turning around the programs and taking them to the playoffs. He built James Madison into a relative power, replicating the same success in his first year. He is only in year one in Bloomington, but everyone can see the immediate impact he had.
Two other things: He can recruit (was recruiting coordinator at 'Bama) and the man has more fire and energy than most coaches of any age.
Not everyone is enamored with him, but I would like for UF to take a look at him if/when we let Napier go.

This. And Kentucky is a better job than Indiana. I would make a run after him.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
If you can get Cignetti he is the correct answer. But my guess is he will land a top tier job if this season pans out like it seems it may. He will also be 64 at start of next season...have to wonder how long he will want to coach.
The LAST thing we need at UK is another 60 year old coach looking for a retirement contract.

No thank you. Unless it is Nick Saban.

There is a difference in hiring someone just because they are are an alumni and played here and someone who is one of the top G4 coaches in college football. Dude is 28-6/20-2 as a HC. He will be on a lot of P4 radars, not just UK.

Yes.

Anyone who says Sumrall is “just” an alum is speaking either from pure igonornce, or actual malice toward UK’s future.

He has won at an 82% clip at two G5 schools, four of his six losses to ranked P4 programs, and one on the road at Appy State by a Hail Mary.

He’s one of the most prominent up-and-coming Coaches in the nation.

God-Willing, the timing works out right for him to come to Kentucky!!

I’m not sure there has ever been a more obvious choice tbh. A P4 program is going to get him very soon. The dude can recruit better than anyone that has coached here (yes, better than Vince), has the “it” factor, is an alum of the university and is crushing it in the G5. He probably has the best G5 record over the past 3 seasons of any coach out there. If the decision is to go that route…he’s the guy imo.

Hard to argue that Cignetti isn't a top of the line coach and doing it at a place not known for football, but at best he is a 4-5 year hire.

Sumrall is at or very near the top of the pile group coaches. He would very likely jump on the offer, if a change is made can't see why he wouldn't be the next coach at UK. But if a change is a couple years down the road and another P5 grabs him, may be a tough pull. Don't think there will be a high turnover for head coaches in SEC this year unless there is some swapping. But who knows, he will get a shot soon.

Reactions: UKSouthpaw
Most fans just want to win and don't even know who john sumrall is. He is the choice of the ride or die Barny/stoops supporters that have finally given up realizing the current situation is untenable. I am not against sumrall but you go for the best available that have proven it at the highest level first not someone just because there are an alumni or played here.
And who would that be realistically.

Sumrall is the best option I can think of who’s not currently coaching in the Power 5. You never know who else could be interested until the job opens.

Edit: I would be happy with Sumrall but wouldn’t want any holdovers from the current staff. I’m sure Mitch would want as many staff holdovers as possible though…

Sumrall is the best option I can think of who’s not currently coaching in the Power 5. You never know who else could be interested until the job opens.

Edit: I would be happy with Sumrall but wouldn’t want any holdovers from the current staff. I’m sure Mitch would want as many staff holdovers as possible though…
I agree, I don’t want the new coach to be handcuffed by having to retain anyone from the current staff. Unless the new coach absolutely wants them to stay aboard, they gotta go, even Vince. I feel like there’s way too many misses with our best recruiting classes under Vince.

I don't think Mitch would do that. I think there could be a couple holdovers because of the relationship that Sumrall has with them, but I highly doubt Mitch would force it upon him.

I know it's more of a gamble, but any hot shot coordinators that may be in the running? Preferably, one that is a proven recruiter and developer of talent. A hungry, 40-ish guy who is looking to take that next big step up could (and has) worked. It's also failed miserably. But, any coach is a coin flip, I believe. Most didn't think Pope could recruit but, given UK's advantages and support, lo, and behold, he's landed a few really top flight players and is still in on several others. Plenty of examples of coaches leaving one school for a 'better' program and they just don't make it happen. I think Sumrall would be a great fit and he's had success everywhere he's been so far. But, until he's sitting in that spot at UK, you just can't predict how he'd do.

I know it's more of a gamble, but any hot shot coordinators that may be in the running? Preferably, one that is a proven recruiter and developer of talent. A hungry, 40-ish guy who is looking to take that next big step up could (and has) worked. It's also failed miserably. But, any coach is a coin flip, I believe. Most didn't think Pope could recruit but, given UK's advantages and support, lo, and behold, he's landed a few really top flight players and is still in on several others. Plenty of examples of coaches leaving one school for a 'better' program and they just don't make it happen. I think Sumrall would be a great fit and he's had success everywhere he's been so far. But, until he's sitting in that spot at UK, you just can't predict how he'd do.
FWIW, Matt Jones is saying Brad White is the leader in the clubhouse should Stoops haul. Kind of describes to some degree what you detail above.

Last edited:
Reactions: gamecockcat
Cignetti is older, most likely isn’t going to bounce, and if he does it won’t be laterally. Like others have said at 64 he’s probably staying put and would only leave for a bigger program and ridiculous offer.

But similar type of candidate would be interesting. Dude who has been a HC in the lower ranks and built winning programs. Kind of like Brian Kelly and Deboer.

Possibly...but Rich Brooks did well here.
Rich Brooks did an excellent job here especially considering the limited support he received for the football program at that time from the administration.

But RB was basically unemployed at the time and really wanted the challenge of rebuilding a program much like he had done at Oregon previously.

I do not think RB receives the credit he deserves for building a strong foundation for UK football. Unfortunately, MB made ANOTHER terrible decision to hire Joker, and most fans quickly forgot what RB had accomplished here.

RB situation was totally different from Cignetti's situation right now, and if you hire Cignetti at 64, you will have to start the hiring process all over again in 3-4 years.

Why not hire the younger, highly successful coach who WANTS to be at UK and will pour his heart and soul into making UK a winner in the SEC.

JMO.

Rich Brooks did an excellent job here especially considering the limited support he received for the football program at that time from the administration.

But RB was basically unemployed at the time and really wanted the challenge of rebuilding a program much like he had done at Oregon previously.

I do not think RB receives the credit he deserves for building a strong foundation for UK football. Unfortunately, MB made ANOTHER terrible decision to hire Joker, and most fans quickly forgot what RB had accomplished here.

RB situation was totally different from Cignetti's situation right now, and if you hire Cignetti at 64, you will have to start the hiring process all over again in 3-4 years.

Why not hire the younger, highly successful coach who WANTS to be at UK and will pour his heart and soul into making UK a winner in the SEC.

JMO.

Don't disagree at all.

Possibly...but Rich Brooks did well here.

And here is the irony: I agree with you, but Brooks went 2-20 against ranked teams, had an overall losing record, left behind a 6/7 win program (2008, 2009), never posted a winning season in the SEC, never went to Florida for a Bowl, never played on New Year’s Day, and yet was hailed nationally (and locally) as having done a good job building Kentucky.

Stoops has exceeded all of those marks, and as a result, I hope has the level of respect to lure an offer from Iowa. But every time I post it, some laugh it off, not realizing that any bowl appearance by Kentucky gets the attention of those who know Kentucky’s overall record. Just watch how much respect Vandy’s coaching staff will receive for the Bowl they get at 6-6 or 7-5. James Franklin never won 10 games at Vandy, but two (back-to-back) 9 win seasons got him a job at Blue-Blood Penn State.

Stoops has a couple of 10 win seasons . . . .

And here is the irony: I agree with you, but Brooks went 2-20 against ranked teams, had an overall losing record, left behind a 6/7 win program (2008, 2009), never posted a winning season in the SEC, never went to Florida for a Bowl, never played on New Year’s Day, and yet was hailed nationally (and locally) as having done a good job building Kentucky.

Stoops has exceeded all of those marks, and as a result, I hope has the level of respect to lure an offer from Iowa. But every time I post it, some laugh it off, not realizing that any bowl appearance by Kentucky gets the attention of those who know Kentucky’s overall record. Just watch how much respect Vandy’s coaching staff will receive for the Bowl they get at 6-6 or 7-5. James Franklin never won 10 games at Vandy, but two (back-to-back) 9 win seasons got him a job at Blue-Blood Penn State.

Yep, you are 100% correct.

Yep, you are 100% correct.

Hey, I am generally positive, I really like Coach Stoops and his staff, and at 61 years old have had five or opportunities to get a sunburn at a Kentucky bowl game in Florida: all but one were with Coach Stoops.

But some edge has been lost that elevated us to those 10 win seasons. By most objective measures, we have talent enough to beat “those we should,” and even compete with the 3 or 4 programs we face each year that have clearly out recruited us.

I think that both the program and Stoops would benefit by a change, while I both appreciate and admire the overall tenure of Coach Stoops.

Cignetti is a pipe dream, even if had an opening at the end of the year, which I doubt.

First, he'd have to be open to the idea of leaving Indiana. Everyone assumes he would. But maybe he likes it there and wants to build his legacy. Or maybe he feels that one year there isn't enough. Second, if is he IS open to leaving Indiana, he would also have to be open to leaving Indiana for Kentucky, which would be perceived as a lateral move. Third, and probably the biggest issue of all, even if he's open to leave Indiana for Kentucky, there are probably going to be offers from programs other than Kentucky, and probably at least one or two big name programs.

I respect Coach White, as he has been excellent, overall, as a defensive coordinator.

And I could live with him getting the nod.

But being a head Coach requires the talent to be the public face and voice of a program, and build a coherent and loyal staff. The head Coach of an SEC school is the CEO of (in reality) of a moderate-sized corporation with management headaches to at least match the size of the organization.

I believe that the frequent failure of coordinators to make the transition to head coaching positions is due to the shock/lack of preparation for the many nuances/needs/responsibilities of the head man, versus a mere coordinator.

Hence, if it were my call, I would tend to lean toward a candidate who has had all of the worries and responsibilities of being the head coach, even at a smaller program.

Candidates who have been head coaches likely come with a longer list of those they can trust in coordinator and administrative positions, and can literally (now) haul several top-notch players with them, from their last program. How many players did IU’s Coach haul with him from his winning James Madison program to 7-0 IU? How many did Vandy assistant coach Jerry Kill help lure to Vandy from NMS (at least two All-Conference players).

Tulane has a fair amount of proven talent that might make to move to Kentucky, if given that chance.

Reactions: cathouse
Everything Stoops does looks fake, forced. Not to mention he has the IQ of a brick. Give me someone that can put together coherent sentences, has a vision for the program, and that I believe when they say they have had a good week, they are prepared, or that it will be cleaned up. When Stoops says he has no idea what the issues are or how they will correct them, believe him!!

I respect Coach White, as he has been excellent, overall, as a defensive coordinator.

And I could live with him getting the nod.

But being a head Coach requires the talent to be the public face and voice of a program, and build a coherent and loyal staff. The head Coach of an SEC school is the CEO of (in reality) of a moderate-sized corporation with management headaches to at least match the size of the organization.

I believe that the frequent failure of coordinators to make the transition to head coaching positions is due to the shock/lack of preparation for the many nuances/needs/responsibilities of the head man, versus a mere coordinator.

Hence, if it were my call, I would tend to lean toward a candidate who has had all of the worries and responsibilities of being the head coach, even at a smaller program.

Candidates who have been head coaches likely come with a longer list of those they can trust in coordinator and administrative positions, and can literally (now) haul several top-notch players with them, from their last program. How many players did IU’s Coach haul with him from his winning James Madison program to 7-0 IU? How many did Vandy assistant coach Jerry Kill help lure to Vandy from NMS (at least two All-Conference players).

Tulane has a fair amount of proven talent that might make to move to Kentucky, if given that chance.
I couldn't have said it any better. Coordinator and Head Coach are completely different skill sets.

I don't see Cignetti leaving IU after one year.

I don't think Iowa would chase Stoops nor Stoops chase Iowa. Just because he played there isn't reason for him to haul, bet in hasn't been on campus in 35 years.

I look for UNC to come open, think it's time Mack Brown taps out. Think Pittman is hanging on by his fingernails at Ark but they have more losses on the horizon. Don't see his win over TN saving him. Think Napier has weathered the UF storm, thanks to Stoops.

UK will F around with Stoops until one of the other P4 schools in the South hire Jon Sumrall and we will be left scrambling to find a legitimate coaching candidate once again.

Auburn, Ole Miss, UNC, Florida State, and several other schools will be looking to hire a coach THIS YEAR.

Sumrall is on every AD'S radar right now as a possible candidate due to his success at Troy and now Tulane.

It is time for MB to be pro-active instead of reactive for a change, and get out there and make the changes needed to get the football program back on track.

And, Brad White is NOT the answer. For multiple reasons. Listen to one press conference and tell me how exited anyone would be to play for him.

Exudes ZERO energy or excitement for what he is doing.

And don't get me started on his bend but don't break prevent defense. Ugh!!

I agree, I don’t want the new coach to be handcuffed by having to retain anyone from the current staff. Unless the new coach absolutely wants them to stay aboard, they gotta go, even Vince. I feel like there’s way too many misses with our best recruiting classes under Vince.

At most places new coaches like to keep at least 1 holdover in an attempt to keep recruiting class together and now retain the players the new guy wants to keep. Would Vince be that guy i don't know with him being so close to Stoops.

I am with you Hack, if CMS is replaced, asked to step down or leaves, someone will be in contact offering him a new job. His resume is much better than names coming up to replace him. Group coaches are hit and miss, they just haven't dealt with the caliber of athletes that are at P4 schools, particularly SEC schools. I know lots of UK fans are wanting a change, and maybe there needs to be one, sometimes relationships just go bad and best to part ways. But there is no guarantee that the next one is going to be a better one. We lucked out when we fired Richt, but Kirby was far from a guarantee, and Texas fans developed a quick dislike for him. Good luck with whatever route you guys decide to take.

Reactions: Pelosigalore
Will Stein is probably as close to you get as far as what you're talking about...I just think that's a massive leap.

You are correct though....it will always be a gamble. When a guy like Scott Frost fails but a guy like Cignetti is thriving, you just never know what's going to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT