ADVERTISEMENT

Creans buyout before July 1, $4 million. Buyout after, $1 million.

Quite a dilemma.

My guess is they compromise on the buyout and he takes another job.

Seems like the most reasonable and normative choice, but then it's Indiana. I just don't see it going like that.

I think IU is off the hook for the buy-out if he leaves for another job. I that's what will happen.

Probably, but in that case Crean would be motivated to just stick around. Give him a chunk and let him go on his way. EDIT: oh, and you basically screw your program for at least a year if he hangs around. Rip the band aid.

I like Doyle's take, no one is knocking down the door wanting the job. They may be better off keeping him for another year at least. I hope they keep him forever.

Reactions: lonnie boyd
NGAgZ.gif

Brad Stevens is likley to win Coach of the year in the NBA......not a chance he is leaving the celtics. Celtics are very good, with no huge contracts a lot of money to spend and draft picks.....It was clear that he wanted to go to the Pros

If they choose to fire him after it hits 1 million......... they'll end up having to take an interim coach most likely.... Coaches dont like leaving teams high and dry so late in the season because it can come back to haunt them later on if that job doesnt work out. Who wants to hire someone who is known to screw a team over (other than UL that is)

They think they're getting Donovan.

And reading their board feels like a time warp back to 2007 around here. They're tracking flights, a super secret but well-connected booster said Billy is "willing to listen," he's even selling his house in Florida!! Sounded eerily familiar.

Reactions: ganner918
They think they're getting Donovan.

And reading their board feels like a time warp back to 2007 around here. They're tracking flights, a super secret but well-connected booster said Billy is "willing to listen," he's even selling his house in Florida!! Sounded eerily familiar.
#DoneDeal

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Crean is very likely taking the Missouri job. As far as his replacement who knows. If I had to bet money I'd say Bennett or a Miller brother. We did have a meeting with Donovan's agent. Our administration seems to be playing things very close to the vest. Both the Sampson and Crean hires came completely out of the blue. I do know for a fact that money will be no issue. Expect the next coach to be paid in the top 3 in college basketball.

OK IU fans...if you're so hell bent on getting rid of the best damn BB coach your University has ever had...Coach Tom Crean...then at least hire someone that can continue the rebuilding process that CTC has set into motion...how about this guy? Look, he's already got a red tie...he would be a perfect fit up there in Ass. Hall.
3063.jpg
Remember...we here in BBN are just trying to HELP you guys out!

They'll have to pay an extra $3 million to fire him after the season and get their coaching search started. Poor IU, its never easy for those losers.
Buyout is payable in yearly installments though 2020. If he takes another job within that time frame, his new salary is deducted from the buyout. AD has to actually pull the trigger first.

OK IU fans...if you're so hell bent on getting rid of the best damn BB coach your University has ever had...Coach Tom Crean...then at least hire someone that can continue the rebuilding process that CTC has set into motion...how about this guy? Look, he's already got a red tie...he would be a perfect fit up there in Ass. Hall.
3063.jpg
Remember...we here in BBN are just trying to HELP you guys out!
Besides, billy d is going to loserville according to tard fans.

Reactions: *CatinIL* and BBUK
We should all take a step back and really realize how much money that is, for Tom Crean. The man is a multimillionaire, just let that sink in for a moment.

We should all take a step back and really realize how much money that is, for Tom Crean. The man is a multimillionaire, just let that sink in for a moment.
There's no profession like college hoops coaching. The funny thing is he will get another big contract from some dumb AD, and still produce mediocre results. What a life.

There's no profession like college hoops coaching. The funny thing is he will get another big contract from some dumb AD, and still produce mediocre results. What a life.

Coaching period. For god's sake Matt Mitchell makes 7 figures. Hell I think our football defense coordinator makes like 600K. We all should have gone into coaching.

Reactions: WeWant9
He'll be back in 2018 IMO, but he will be on the hot seat and they cant attract they level of coach they think they can.

Brad Stevens isn't walking thru that door.

Go to their board and you will quickly find out they have Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan and Sean Miller walking through the door. That is going to be one heck of a staff. IU may soon become just like the UCONN women's team who just can't be beaten.

Reactions: lonnie boyd
Crean is very likely taking the Missouri job. As far as his replacement who knows. If I had to bet money I'd say Bennett or a Miller brother. We did have a meeting with Donovan's agent. Our administration seems to be playing things very close to the vest. Both the Sampson and Crean hires came completely out of the blue. I do know for a fact that money will be no issue. Expect the next coach to be paid in the top 3 in college basketball.
Bob Knight will be back .

That's ridiculous. I haven't heard a single IU fan state that they expect Brad Stevens to leave Boston anytime soon. We all know there's a 1% chance of that at best. Most expect Bennett, Marshall, or the Millers.

If can't negotiate for him to leave, then hire your next coach as a "consultant" until July 1.

I don't claim to be an insider or have great connections, but on this I have a well connected friend. They are offering CTC 3 million to resign after the season is over. They don't want to wait until June 1st because with the coaching search and everything would absolutely kill recruiting for next year. But I am 95% sure Crean is out(never 100% about anything). The funny part is IU people think they can get Brad Stevens. Stevens did say in the past that IU was his dream job, but that was before the NBA came calling. IU is getting Mark Cuban to help in the pursuit of Stevens. Other names on IU's list of potential coaches Donovan, Mack at Xavier and Bennett at Virginia(Bennett wants out of the ACC, because he feels there is a Duke and UNC bias)
None of this may happen but the person I talked to is very much in the loop.

Reactions: d2atTech
I don't claim to be an insider or have great connections, but on this I have a well connected friend. They are offering CTC 3 million to resign after the season is over. They don't want to wait until June 1st because with the coaching search and everything would absolutely kill recruiting for next year. But I am 95% sure Crean is out(never 100% about anything). The funny part is IU people think they can get Brad Stevens. Stevens did say in the past that IU was his dream job, but that was before the NBA came calling. IU is getting Mark Cuban to help in the pursuit of Stevens. Other names on IU's list of potential coaches Donovan, Mack at Xavier and Bennett at Virginia(Bennett wants out of the ACC, because he feels there is a Duke and UNC bias)
None of this may happen but the person I talked to is very much in the loop.

i think *we* could get brad stevens in five years after cal retires. i do not think IU could get any coach with his experience + caliber. more likely, they are going to hire someone like archie miller -- who has the caliber but not the experience.

If IU was smart they'd write a blank check for Bryce Drew or Mike White

But the way they've been trending post knight, they'll be lucky if they can get on the phone with Patches O'Houlihan...

58037.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT