ADVERTISEMENT

Could the NIL fund backfire?

Let’s be honest Kentucky fans will only donate if their team is winning, the fund has already slowed down a lot since the A&M loss. So basically Kentucky will have to win a lot in this tournament and the following season if Cal wants to reach that $1 million goal
Where are all his oads? That million should be chump change for them. Why not 10-20 million.

Yeah they could set that fund up for years and get a tax break for doing it.

It sounds like i was joking but you nailed it. It would be cool as hell if they did this. A little pay it backward story would help on the PR front too.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Yeah - this kind of fails for me. Even the name is corny and not really related to UK.

Seems like they are asking for donations from the "common fans" so the future millionaires he recruits can be paid while in college. And then when you see the totals and you know the former NBA guys don't seem to be contributing a dime, it feels like it's not well thought out.

Factor in an extended period of sub-par performance for the program over the last 5+ years already and I think a lot of people would be very, very hesitant to contribute.

Reactions: STL_Cat
when i think of giving to nil

laughing-haha.gif

Reactions: Fox2monk and chroix
You should put that in a bank before you lose it.
He loses it if he gives it to NIL. What a total throw away of hard earned money. None of these kids should be making money to play college sports. They are getting a free education. If they don’t like school go to G league. Ridiculous.

• Wow
Reactions: Lempface
Asking fans to pay ridiculous ticket prices, get special tv packages to watch your team, and now fund the player’s NIL will push more people way. I eagerly await the “if you don’t donate to nil, you’re not a true fan” spiel from some.
And it will come, believe me. Those kind of people truly believe that. Unreal

Reactions: Fox2monk and chroix
The fund is for the PLAYERS, not Cal. Save your $10 and sit back and gripe you want, nobody really cares. The big $ will come from former players, it is not like Cal or UK is banking on fair weathered fans to produce the bulk of it. Without Cal, there will be no NIL fund, his players are the ones who are going to make it work. Yes we do need fan and booster support, but not the kind like you that if you do not get your way or win enough for you, you keep your piggy bank full.
What an awful take. There are people who cannot afford to give and others who just don’t want to for various reasons, most which have been mentioned. None of this makes these fans fair weather fans. One poster above said he knew this type of statement was coming and I told him to bank on it. And here we are. You just sound like a pompous ass saying stuff like this. If you want to give, go ahead but you have no right to judge anyone else if they don’t. Just wow.

No I said fans who only want to give when the team wins to their liking. I also said it was not for Cal, but the players. Not pompous at all, just saying if you are going to bitch about donating or not donate based off your idea of how much the team should win, just save it in your piggy bank and not give. It is NOT a requirement for fans to donate, it is simply a option / choice. If you do not want to, don't. But don't post BS about team needs to please you first. (not you directly, but posters who say that.)

Sorry but I just had to put 2 grand into my daily driver. A few years ago I would have got a different car. Can't afford that these days.

NIL is a scam and putting money in it is a waste of money as fans of the team it’s not my business for these players to become rich while in college.. Moms and dads, handlers are the ones pushing for money.

Reactions: Wonky
Nothing borderline about it, IMO.

It’s true. Trot out a coal miner for PR. Hit all of the coal miners friends and family up for money later, curiously no PR.

I mean I guess that’s one way you could look at it.

It’s true. Trot out a coal miner for PR. Hit all of the coal miners friends and family up for money later, curiously no PR.

I mean I guess that’s one way you could look at it.
Coal miners are gone the last one closed in Muhlenburg county

My how far we've come..........

A few years ago, Joe B's was shunned from the program for giving players free pizza. Now, a direct request for fans to throw money at players. The most money will win mentality. Is that really good for the sport and kids in general?
the sport is already semi pro & the kids are already used to getting what they want

The fund is for the PLAYERS, not Cal. Save your $10 and sit back and gripe you want, nobody really cares. The big $ will come from former players, it is not like Cal or UK is banking on fair weathered fans to produce the bulk of it. Without Cal, there will be no NIL fund, his players are the ones who are going to make it work. Yes we do need fan and booster support, but not the kind like you that if you do not get your way or win enough for you, you keep your piggy bank full.
go ahead and support what this clown of a coach does. The FANS made UK basketball, not ccc. He hates the fans and cares only about himself & how many he can get to the NBA. No fan base is more supportive than UK.
AS lousy as his results have been lately, the fan support is better than he deserves.

Expecting average folks to donate money for NIL…considering the economy and how much people are struggling is incredibly tone deaf.

Especially considering our AMAZING GOODWILL AMBASSADOR coach is making $10 million a year and our guys in the NBA are worth billions.

Also factor in all the money average folks/fans already spend on UK.

Not to mention Calipari’s results (and pompous attitude) the last several years have been awful.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
The NIL fund is probably the only way UK can stay relevant IMO. Unless we miraculously land the next Coach K/Bob Knight type of coaching talent that can deliver for decades. I think UK is closer to an "Indiana" than we might realize. It could be very easy for UK to slip into that category if we aren't carefule.

Kentucky is a fly over state. There isn't great basketball talent here. There's not a lot of things to draw outside talent. It's a "poor" state. It's also a "red" state with largely conservative fans, and I don't think that's going to make kids want to come here (it might not hurt, but it's not going to help). The state of Kentucky just doesn't have a great reputation with young generations, whether that's right careful. Basketball players aren't itching to play for UK.

So to combat this, we have to figure out NIL and also figure out how to tap into this huge fanbase that loves to spend money on UK gear, memorabilia, game tickets, etc. We have to draw players to UK and the state of Kentucky, places that might otherwise not draw a lot of interest.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
The NIL fund is probably the only way UK can stay relevant IMO. Unless we miraculously land the next Coach K/Bob Knight type of coaching talent that can deliver for decades. I think UK is closer to an "Indiana" than we might realize. It could be very easy for UK to slip into that category if we aren't carefule.

Kentucky is a fly over state. There isn't great basketball talent here. There's not a lot of things to draw outside talent. It's a "poor" state. It's also a "red" state with largely conservative fans, and I don't think that's going to make kids want to come here (it might not hurt, but it's not going to help). The state of Kentucky just doesn't have a great reputation with young generations, whether that's right careful. Basketball players aren't itching to play for UK.

So to combat this, we have to figure out NIL and also figure out how to tap into this huge fanbase that loves to spend money on UK gear, memorabilia, game tickets, etc. We have to draw players to UK and the state of Kentucky, places that might otherwise not draw a lot of interest.
LOL

I know it won't be a popular take with people from the state of KY. But that is the perception from the outside looking in. KY just isn't any bit of a "sexy" spot for young players.

Say what we will about Cal, but the program was on the verge of becoming an Indiana before he came here. He got the big name recruits, not the program. Now, i think we can do the same with the right coaching hire. I don't think we fall off just because Cal is gone.. just that I'm not sure UK is still the draw some people think it is, here in 2024. We NEED to lean on NIL and the fanbases size. Saying stuff like "our tradition will carry us through" or "players should WANT to be apart of BBN".. just isn't going to cut it IMO.

I know it won't be a popular take with people from the state of KY. But that is the perception from the outside looking in. KY just isn't any bit of a "sexy" spot for young players.

Say what we will about Cal, but the program was on the verge of becoming an Indiana before he came here. He got the big name recruits, not the program. Now, i think we can do the same with the right coaching hire. I don't think we fall off just because Cal is gone.. just that I'm not sure UK is still the draw some people think it is, here in 2024. We NEED to lean on NIL and the fanbases size. Saying stuff like "our tradition will carry us through" or "players should WANT to be apart of BBN".. just isn't going to cut it IMO.
Lawrence Kansas is a ''sexy'' spot? Storrs CT is a ''sexy spot''??

Lawrence Kansas is a ''sexy'' spot? Storrs CT is a ''sexy spot''??

Look at Kansas recruiting. And look at what Uconn was doing before Hurley got there for several years. I think you have to get the right coach in there to start, and that coach needs to find a way to bring in talent, that's likely going to have a lot to do with how much NIL money the player is getting.

We are going to need the NIL fund to stay competitive with or without Cal here. Same in football with Stoops. UK is NOT the only school doing it, just everyone wants to pile everything on Cal. Are you not going to support the football team and blame Cal ? They will need the same donations. And the former players will donate money, this thing just started. I want Cal gone as much as the other posters (not as much as SOME), but a replacement is what I am scared of. IF only I trusted Mitch and the UK board to get it right, I am fine with a change. BUT, even with change, the NIL fund will ne be needed, it is not a Cal thing, it is UK basketball keeping up with other top programs thing. The former players do not owe UK anything, same as the fans complaining about asking for donations, so don't say "the millionaire former players should donate." Well, if you feel you shouldn't why say the players should ? But they will, they will give back, but they do not owe UK anything if they did not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT