ADVERTISEMENT

Corruption in college sports

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
I have no doubt in my mind the officials are corrupt. Whether it’s to make some extra coin from Vegas or own bias(usually this) I know refs are corrupt to the core.

Here’s what I’ve been wondering though. Coaches and players. I watched this mark wahlberg movie the other night called the gambler. It’s about a lot of things but point shaving is a big part of it. Does this stuff still happen? I never hear the subject brought up but i feel players and coaches sometime are blackmailed or paid off. I have zero proof just a gut feeling. What do folks think? This stuff goes on especially in college with the amateur rules?

I have no doubt in my mind the officials are corrupt. Whether it’s to make some extra coin from Vegas or own bias(usually this) I know refs are corrupt to the core.

Here’s what I’ve been wondering though. Coaches and players. I watched this mark wahlberg movie the other night called the gambler. It’s about a lot of things but point shaving is a big part of it. Does this stuff still happen? I never hear the subject brought up but i feel players and coaches sometime are blackmailed or paid off. I have zero proof just a gut feeling. What do folks think? This stuff goes on especially in college with the amateur rules?
Perhaps. I do believe there are vendettas. Some people get into the profession to throw their weight around.

Nobody could wver convince me that higgins didn’t have it out for Calipari in multiple games
I think it’s a given with the refs imo. I mean just having dealt with these guys I know they are biased. Some even racist.

Idk did anyone see the guy from Purdue who picked the pass for 6 they called it back bc he high stepped. It was awful. Definitely that ref had some problem with Purdue or the player personally definitely biased.

Every professional has an element of corruption. Every profession has humans. Refs run the entire gamete from excellent to corrupt just like anything else.
You think point shaving with players and coaches is still something that happens?

College basketball doesn't help things... it's a small floor compared to the NBA. Gives these officials more opportunities to put their stamp on the game. Open up the floor and go to 6 fouls.

Not that this would be a fix but it would be a small start.

You think point shaving with players and coaches is still something that happens?
I'm sure it does. My hunch is it's a lot of small time stuff though. I'd be surprised if it's anything but very, very rare in high profile cases. You'd have to buy a superstar or head coach really. And they are usually not in need of money.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
You’d be a pretty scummy teammate to throw/point shave.

Now I 100% believe there are issues between refs and coaches, and that comes out in game calls. I’ve always felt a ref shouldn’t be doing that job for a long time. We got refs that have been around since I’ve been watching college sports. It’s just human nature to have a bias against someone you don’t like, and that comes out in games.

That intentional grounding after BB was pushed down 15 yds down field may be the worst no call/call I have ever seen; especially under the circumstances.
They picked up the flag after stoops lit that red up like a Roman candle.

cookout-pearl.jpg

Any time big money is involved, even indirectly, there'll be corruption.

Have you ever met a real-life bookie? They are as mafia and crooked as you see on TV. No way it's "tinfoil conspiracy" to believe they have their hands in these games, mostly through refs, and likely through some of the poorer parents of the players.

Reactions: Kentucky2022
The fix is in coming from the refs
They are told to call a game a certain way.
Makes a certain team cover point spread

If the players get caught throwing games it's a huge deal. Because it's making the set outcome of a game change. Nobody cares that it's set up to begin with on how refs call it

Reactions: blue woman

With NIL? Oh hell yeah.

You’re open minded. We could have a serious discussion about this, and you’d never watch sports the same again.

It’s all about money. It has to be. I’ve been watching for so long and there are so many subtle ways that refs can control the outcome of a game. They manipulate the games. They may not decide who wins, but I think they try to control the spread. This is much easier to control. A team starts to go on a run and it looks like they might cover and you’ve got money on them not covering the spread, so you make a call or two to stop the run and keep the other team in it. Things like that are easy for the refs to do. I’m sure they do try to determine winners at times, but I would say that would be hard to do.

I imagine it is happening. If a few were getting routinely caught it would keep the majority of them clean, However since there’s seems to be no one over the years getting caught, it leads me to believe some of the people involved are guilty. There’s just to much money involved even at the college level for it to remain a naturally clean environment.

Nobody could wver convince me that higgins didn’t have it out for Calipari in multiple games
I don't know if I want to go so far as to say that Higgins is crooked but I would say that he is obviously biased and that affects how he called games against us. It doesn't even necessarily have to be intentional.

I could never ref a game without some kind of bias showing thru. If some kid were to be a showboat or smart a**, I would definitely blow the whistle a few extra times when he touched another player.

• Angry
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT