ADVERTISEMENT

Corbin native, Frank Selvy passes

SmyrnaCatFan

Sophomore
Nov 9, 2012
Frank Selvy the only collegiate player to score 100 points in a game passes away at age 91. He played at Furman University and later in the NBA. He is in the College Basketball Hall of Fame as well.

R.I.P.

Last edited:
Rupp told him he was not big enough to play in the SEC. He went to Furman and was 2 time AA and ended up being the number 1 draft pick in the NBA.

Reactions: SmyrnaCatFan
Frank Selvy the only collegiate player to score 100 points in a game passes away at age 91. He played at Furman University and later in the NBA. He is in the College Basketball Hall of Fame as well.

R.I.P.

With UK passing on Frank Selvy got me to thinking about some other great Kentucky natives that didn't play at UK.

Frank Selvy
Dave Cowens
Jim McDaniels
Darrel Griffith
Wes Unseld
Jeff Mullins
William "Bird" Averitt
Vince Taylor

Rupp told him he was not big enough to play in the SEC. He went to Furman and was 2 time AA and ended up being the number 1 draft pick in the NBA.
Curious where you heard that?

From Harry Lancaster's book it sounded like UK was very interested in recruiting Selvy but he slipped away.

frank_selvy_recruitment_Harry_Lancaster.jpg

BTW, it looks like this was the All-Star Game Lancaster was referring to, held in Pikeville. This article is from the July 30, 1950 Lexington Herald.

19500730_LH_East-West_HS_Game.jpg

Link to Photo if It Doesn't Display.

Rupp told him that the year before Frank grew 4 inches. Rupp then recruited Frank but he had promised Furman and Frank stuck to his word.

Reactions: ORCAT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT