ADVERTISEMENT

Cool. 6-9, 250 UK baseball player Jordan joining basketball team

I've never met a higher level pitcher or quarterback that couldn't shoot a basketball half-way decent.
Maybe if this big can come in for 3- 5 minutes a game and get a rebound without fouling that’s enough.

Reactions: chroix
Nice addition. Gives us some depth and size inside for practices at least. Might come in handy in a couple of spots this season and I think he was a pretty good defensive player in hs.
He must think he can get a little PT.
After a couple of days of practice, it's clear to me that this is something I want to commit to.

Congrats and good for him. You know this literally has to be a dream come true. Hopefully at some point during the many blowouts this basketball team will have this year that he'll get to get on the court.

Reactions: 3 fan and chroix
He was a hell of a rebounder and shot blocker in high school. If you can add a guy that big who has actually played basketball and not take up a scholarship, that's a win.

there’s a dude in another thread that says the NCAA will require basketball to use a scholarship because he plays baseball. Can you confirm or deny?

Ben is the nicest kid you’ll ever meet. From my home town and know him and his family well. Happy for him and excited to watch
Is he good enough to go in a game for three minutes to give a starter a breather?

there’s a dude in another thread that says the NCAA will require basketball to use a scholarship because he plays baseball. Can you confirm or deny?

I think the rule takes the scholarship from whichever sport has fewer allotted, so it would be basketball in this case.

But it's renewable year to year and we have the opening this season. It's not like baseball won't have a ride for him next year if he needs it. We usually give our walk ons the extra scholarship anyway.

MechaJarrodPolson
images

Jeez, this dude just became the ultimate campus god. Go to UK to play baseball and BOOM, you're on the basketball team.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Never mind. Just read the article and saw that he was a Redshirt Freshman.

That isn't correct. He is a redshirt sophomore. He came to UK two years ago. He had Tommy John surgery just after high school and had surgery and sat out his first year. He sat out a large chunk of last year as a redshirt freshman still recovering. That would make him a redshirt sophomore this season.

This will be interesting on the baseball side. Jordan was a top recruit for the baseball team 2 years ago. He's played little to none because he had Tommy John surgery. However, this year he may project to be a weekend starter. Baseball starts mid-February, so he'd miss a portion of the season on the bench of the basketball team. We will see what happens with it.

This will be interesting on the baseball side. Jordan was a top recruit for the baseball team 2 years ago. He's played little to none because he had Tommy John surgery. However, this year he may project to be a weekend starter. Baseball starts mid-February, so he'd miss a portion of the season on the bench of the basketball team. We will see what happens with it.
He is gonna have his hands full if he has to go to class practice with the basketball team and then get a bullpen in after that all season. Being that tall and a pitcher though you would think he may be the guy to heave a full court pass if needed right before the end of half or games to get a shot

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
That isn't correct. He is a redshirt sophomore. He came to UK two years ago. He had Tommy John surgery just after high school and had surgery and sat out his first year. He sat out a large chunk of last year as a redshirt freshman still recovering. That would make him a redshirt sophomore this season.

Gotcha.

Just going by what it said at the end of the article.

I think the rule takes the scholarship from whichever sport has fewer allotted, so it would be basketball in this case.

But it's renewable year to year and we have the opening this season. It's not like baseball won't have a ride for him next year if he needs it. We usually give our walk ons the extra scholarship anyway.

i thought that only applied if we actually recruited him to play basketball? Like we couldn’t get a guy to come here to play basketball on say a tennis scholarship?

I look at it like he's 6ft9 250lbs and that's the kind of walk on I want over little 6ft guards who will never play. If someone went down like the past few years and them another or two gets into foul trouble (We have seen our share) then he is an athlete who used to play BB and has the size to at least grab a rebound and give us some minutes. When surrounded by the top talent he could end up being ok in spurts. They said he was 22nd overall in the state of KY in blocks so that's something, plus the size when we are a frontcourt player short. Why not? I agree I would love to see the FB player who came here and was known as a really good BB player join up, but I will take this.

You can't teach size. I love the idea of a 6ft9 250lb athlete on the team as a just in case and a practice body. Dude might luck out and get a ring LOL.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I thought the SEC Network said he is 99th overall in all of college baseball.

Saw that as well. Not sure where they get it from. He hasn't played much in college but he was a major prospect out of high school. He was 97th overall as a senior and a top 35 righty. With his frame and the fact that he was touching low to mid 90s he is very projectable.

If he stays healthy this could be a breakout year for him at UK. The baseball team lost its best pitcher, a first rounder, and every pitcher after him was subpar. Jordan will get a chance to pitch against SEC opponents on the weekends. This news makes me wonder about how it might effect that possibility.

If I'm not mistaken, UK baseball's fall practices end sometime soon, may already be done. After those, the players probably have some more free time to train and what not on their own. So, he may have the time for it to end the year. From there it becomes interesting. Is he going to stay with both or go back to baseball? Baseball starts in mid-February, so he could miss a large chunk of action if he stays with the basketball team until they finish the year. I think that would hurt his chances to be a weekend starter. We will see how it plays out.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
Only good can come from this. Minimum another practice body.

Speaking of which, I thot Canada looked like a significant upgrade from previous walkons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT