ADVERTISEMENT

Concert ticket prices - WOW!

I still love going to shows but I’m past paying for good seats. I’m fine in the back of the arena. Same with amphitheaters. $50 and I’m the lawn is much better to me than $200 up close.

I am more selective than before, although I still go to a lot of concerts. Price is an issue, although not my final determining factor. Where, when, how many times have I seen them, are they still performing well, new music....all of these roll into play along w/ the cost of the ticket.

Lex, Lou, Cincy, Nash, Atlanta, Columbus, Vegas, NYC.....all of these are in play if I am dead set on a show.

Two comments:
1. I don't think Taylor Swift can sing a lick (Autotune ought to be receiving a piece of her royalties) although her rep is that she's a solid performer. Don't begrudge her one penny but I've heard her sing live here and there and the actual key of the song was nowhere to be found in her vocal. Maybe just a bad day, who knows?
2. Even if she was naked and giving me a private concert in the comfort of some 5-star hotel, it wouldn't be worth $17k to me. She's about 6'-1" and I'm very prejudiced against very tall women - just don't appeal to me at all. Kinda gangly with a cute horse face. Many other musical artists are better looking to me but that's a pure judgment call and I know plenty of guys who think she' smoke.
Did this dude just say he wouldn’t wax swift because she’s too tall? False. You just know you’ll never get that opportunity. Easy to say when it’s not an option.

Did this dude just say he wouldn’t wax swift because she’s too tall? False. You just know you’ll never get that opportunity. Easy to say when it’s not an option.
Yes, I did and, no, I wouldn't. Just a big, gangly chick. Sorry. Just don't find her attractive in the least. Being unusually tall is one characteristic I don't find attractive in her but surely not the only. If you find her hot, bully for you. My tastes run towards petite, brown eyed, dark haired women, which TS is decidely not.

Reactions: roguemocha
Yes, I did and, no, I wouldn't. Just a big, gangly chick. Sorry. Just don't find her attractive in the least. Being unusually tall is one characteristic I don't find attractive in her but surely not the only. If you find her hot, bully for you. My tastes run towards petite, brown eyed, dark haired women, which TS is decidely not.
Counterpoint:
9544006.jpg

That’s not entirely accurate. Ticket prices are set by the performer, the venue or promoter. With Dynamic Pricing, Ticketmaster changes the pricing of the tickets based on demand and based on my brief research they get the increase from the dynamic pricing.

The ticket prices aren’t necessarily the issue. It’s the additional fees that they charge that takes a ticket from $150 to $200 or $250. You have no other choice but to pay it when they have no competition. That’s the problem.
The artist gets the bump from dynamic pricing but because the fees are higher, both come out ahead. Truth is they all make more.

Here is a good article on the subject. https://hbr.org/2022/09/7-lessons-on-dynamic-pricing-courtesy-of-bruce-springsteen

“And remember, for every concert, a significant number of tickets are bought by scalpers as well as fans who purchase “extras” to resell for a profit; when artists raise prices, the economic justification is that much of the profit they’re taking would otherwise go to scalpers, not fans. A survey of attendees at an October 2002 Springsteen concert revealed that 28.1% of tickets were resold, with an average markup of 240%.”

I'm a music junkie but I just absolutely refuse to overpay and get scalped on concert tickets. Riverbend lawn seats are thankfully usually like$30

My new favorite thing they are doing is charging like $20 to $40 more for 2 seats on the aisle. Total BS move but hey they can make a few bucks more milking their fans so why not.

I just purchased 2 tickets for the wife and I to go watch Cody Jinks in Huntsville Alabama. The seats were only $45 each and then another $40 in fees and taxes. We thought we would go to the show while we are down to visit our daughter and son in law.

Just paid over $100 to see Tracy Lawrence at the damned Iroquois amphitheater in June.

Not a big deal seeing as I celebrate his entire catalogue.

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
I saw GNR play in Munich sitting on top of this hill overlooking the Olympic Stadium. Towards the end of the concert, a bunch of us were able to work our way inside the stadium. Easily one of the best times of my life, and I didn't pay a dime to see it. And I got to see one of the best bands ever in their prime...for free.

olympiapark-still-foto-redline-enterprises.jpg

Anybody overpaid for a concert ticket lately? :b

One of my siblings is seeing Jason Isbell at the Ryman this fall and she just told me that after fees, a pair of tickets cost $255. I'd be going to see Babymetal in Cincy in November if I'd seen the tour earlier -- the only seats that are still available and aren't lame start at $150 (and there hasn't even been an opening act announced yet). Maybe next time.

The most recent show I attended was Judas Priest and Queensryche in Corbin in 2022 and the ticket was only $80. IIRC, the most I paid for any of these shows was about $80:

Iron Maiden with Bullet For My Valentine -- A Matter of Life and Death Tour
Wednesday, October 18, 2006; Allstate Arena, Rosemont, Illinois
Different World (1)
These Colours Don't Run (1)
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns (1)
The Pilgrim (1)
The Longest Day (1)
Out Of The Shadows (1)
The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg (1)
For The Greater Good Of God (1)
Lord Of Light (1)
The Legacy (1)
Fear Of The Dark (1)
Iron Maiden (1)
2 Minutes to Midnight (1)
The Evil That Men Do (1)
Hallowed Be Thy Name (1)

Iron Maiden with Raven Age -- Somewhere Back in Time Tour
Thursday, June 12, 2008; Blossom Music Arena, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Aces High (1)
2 Minutes to Midnight (2)
Revelations (1)
The Trooper (1)
Wasted Years (1)
The Number of the Beast (1)
Run to the Hills (1)
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1)
Powerslave (1)
Heaven Can Wait (1)
Can I Play With Madness (1)
Fear of the Dark (2)
Iron Maiden (2)
Moonchild (1)
The Clairvoyant (1)
Hallowed Be Thy Name (2)

Iron Maiden with Dream Theater -- The Final Frontier Tour
Thursday, July 15, 2010; Blossom Music Arena, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
The Wicker Man (1)
Ghost Of The Navigator (1)
Wrathchild (1)
El Dorado (1)
Dance Of Death (1)
The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg (2)
These Colours Don't Run (2)
Blood Brothers (1)
Wildest Dreams (1)
No More Lies (1)
Brave New World (1)
Fear Of The Dark (3)
Iron Maiden (3)
The Number of the Beast (2)
Hallowed Be Thy Name (3)
Running Free (1)

Iron Maiden with Alice Cooper -- The Maiden England Tour
Thursday, July 19, 2012; Klipsch Music Center, Noblesville, Indiana
Moonchild (2)
Can I Play With Madness (2)
The Prisoner (1)
2 Minutes To Midnight (3)
Afraid To Shoot Strangers (1)
The Trooper (2)
The Number Of The Beast (3)
Phantom Of The Opera (1)
Run To The Hills (2)
Wasted Years (2)
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (1)
The Clairvoyant (2)
Fear Of The Dark (4)
Iron Maiden (4)
Aces High (2)
The Evil That Men Do (2)
Running Free (2)

Iron Maiden with Megadeth -- The Maiden England Tour
Thursday, September 5, 2013; Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, Tennessee
Moonchild (3)
Can I Play With Madness (3)
The Prisoner (2)
2 Minutes to Midnight (4)
Afraid to Shoot Strangers (2)
The Trooper (3)
The Number of the Beast (4)
Phantom of the Opera (2)
Run to the Hills (3)
Wasted Years (3)
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (2)
The Clairvoyant (3)
Fear of the Dark (5)
Iron Maiden (5)
Aces High (3)
The Evil That Men Do (3)
Running Free (3)

Iron Maiden with Ghost -- The Book of Souls World Tour
Tuesday, Jun 13, 2017; Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, Tennessee
If Eternity Should Fail (1)
Speed of Light (1)
Wrathchild (2)
Children of the Damned (1)
Death or Glory (1)
The Red and the Black (1)
The Trooper (4)
Powerslave (2)
The Great Unknown (1)
The Book of Souls (1)
Fear of the Dark (6)
Iron Maiden (6)
The Number of the Beast (5)
Blood Brothers (2)
Wasted Years (4)

Iron Maiden with Raven Age -- The Legacy of the Beast Tour
Thursday, August 15, 2019; Riverbend, Cincinnati, Ohio
Aces High (4)
Where Eagles Dare (1)
2 Minutes to Midnight (5)
The Clansman (1)
The Trooper (5)
Revelations (2)
For the Greater Good of God (2)
The Wicker Man (2)
Sign of the Cross (1)
Flight of Icarus (1)
Fear of the Dark (7)
The Number of the Beast (6)
Iron Maiden (7)
The Evil That Men Do (4)
Hallowed Be Thy Name (4)
Run to the Hills (4)

Iron Maiden with Raven Age -- The Legacy of the Beast Tour
Monday, August 19, 2019; Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, Tennessee
Aces High (5)
Where Eagles Dare (2)
2 Minutes to Midnight (6)
The Clansman (2)
The Trooper (6)
Revelations (3)
For the Greater Good of God (3)
The Wicker Man (3)
Sign of the Cross (2)
Flight of Icarus (2)
Fear of the Dark (8)
The Number of the Beast (7)
Iron Maiden (8)
The Evil That Men Do (5)
Hallowed Be Thy Name (5)
Run to the Hills (5)

I would've sworn I'd seen Maiden nine times (three times at Blossom) instead of eight but I guess not.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
Be better off getting some festival tix like Bourbon and Beyond and see a lot of bands for a reasonable price considering the number of acts. Heading to Roostertail Music Festival next weekend. We only paid $45 per ticket. Great value for some great bands.

OK, free or $5 donation Saturday July 6 at Covington Devou Park Bandstand by NKy Symphony.

Bottle a wine.....

SongAs performed by
Spinning WheelBlood Sweat and Tears
Walk Like an EgyptianThe Bangles
You’re Still a Young ManTower of Power
IfBread
Shut up and DanceWalk the Moon
Cut the CakeAverage White Band
Elvis MedleyElvis Presley
Part Time LoverStevie Wonder
Beatles MedleyThe Beatles
BelieveCher
Bohemian RhapsodyQueen
Intermission
Let’s Do the Time Warp AgainRock Horror Cast
What a Wonderful WorldLouie Armstrong
I Got a Feelin’Black Eyed Peas
Vida la VidaColdplay
It’s My PartyLeslie Gore
Take on MeA- ha
Shake it OffTaylor Swift
Sweet CarolineNeil Diamond
All Night LongMontgomery Gentry
Long Train RunningThe Doobie Brothers

Reactions: J_Dee
i saw Pink Floyd in Rupp on Sunday night back in 1987 for $18.50. Was on the floor, 15 rows from the stage in the middle. Absolutely amazing experience. 2nd of two back to back sold out shows. Sound was loud but, crystal clear.
Fast forward to January of this year...saw judas Priest in Corbin, KY and paid $50 for a seat approx. 100 ft from the stage. Pressured into going with some old high school friends. It was horrible. I know it was a live show but, the band was ridiculously loud, even for a metal act. Couldn't even understand the lyrics. The acoustics in that building are some of the worst anywhere. I bet there weren't 1500 people there. Sad.
I have seen a LOT of shows over the years and what is happening to ticket prices is criminal. But, people are stupid enough to keep paying.
IMO, the better choice is to see a great tribute band. A great PF tribute band is Brit Floyd. They've played Red Rocks and you can find their full show videos from there on YouTube. They occasionally come to Cincy or even Louisville. Obviously not as good as the real artists but, pretty close and much cheaper!

This is what we do.

While a lot of music fans look down on tribute bands, they are a hell of a lot of fun.

We go a couple times a month somewhere to catch a tribute concert.

Reactions: vhcat70
One thing I wish they would do is make the first day of ticket sales in person only so the scalpers wouldn't get them all.
How would you do that? If I live in Louisville, I'm not flying to Red Rocks Amphitheater ticket office so I can get a decent price ticket for a concert that is 6 months later. Maybe that's just me...

How would you do that? If I live in Louisville, I'm not flying to Red Rocks Amphitheater ticket office so I can get a decent price ticket for a concert that is 6 months later. Maybe that's just me..
You could go to any Ticketmaster outlet. One in Louisville can sell tickets for any venue.

Assuming there are in person Ticketmaster outlets anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT