ADVERTISEMENT

Concert ticket prices - WOW!

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
I don't go to many concerts anymore but I've been to 4 or 5 in the past 5 years. The most expensive one, pre-COVID, was at Red Rocks and I think, IIRC, the tickets were ~$60 apiece to see 4 bands. Just for fun, I noticed both Shania Twain and Springsteen are coming to the Nuggets arena here in Denver this spring. The least expensive ticket I could find on Ticketmaster, in the back corner of the arena in the upper deck, started at $180, not counting taxes/handling/fees. If you wanted a lower arena ticket they were starting around $350 and the two sections on the sides nearest the stage were >$700. Yes, they're big names but DAMN. That's a lot of dough for a friggin concert.

So, I thought perhaps it's just the big name acts charging outrageous prices. Looking at the lineup thus far for Red Rocks this year (which is mostly comprised of a bunch of musical groups I've never heard of), most 'cheap' tickets were >>$100 apiece. The bigger names I'd heard of were in excess of $200 for the most part. So, being a very big fan of Tx Country band Reckless Kelly, I looked at their website. So far, no dates in/around Denver but to see them in Gruene Hall just outside of San Antonio you'd fork over a minimum of $180/ticket. Bear in mind, I've seen them 5 times or so, never paying more than $30/ticket. The last two times (2019 and 2021) I was close enough I could have easily touched the members of the band on stage.

How does anyone afford going to more than a couple of concerts a year with prices like that? There just aren't that many groups I'd pay close to $1,000 to see play for a couple of hours. I make really good money but they've pretty much priced me out of attending a concert anymore. Certainly going to see a band I'm not that familiar with to check them out is completely out of the question.

My GF and I looked into getting tickets to see Pink at the Yum Center in November but the prices were ridiculous. 300 level tickets were going for $200. You should not have to put a second mortgage on your home to buy concert tickets. Part of the problem is that stupid dynamic pricing ticketmaster has which adjusts the ticket prices based on interest. They start out at one price but will continuously increase as people search and buy. To me that is no different than scalping. Set a damn price and stick to it.

The biggest issue is that Ticketmaster/Live Nation has no competition. If you want to go to a concert, you are forced to pay their prices as well as their insane fees. I know Congress was looking into their fees and I really hope they step in to help out. The only way for pricing to change would be for everyone to stop buying tickets. That would impact change but it won't happen.

I don't go to many concerts but if I was to pay that kind of money for tickets, it wouldn't be for some washed up has been who's in it now for the money.

Prices are completely out of whack everywhere and it’s not f*cking sustainable, something has to give. It’s insanity and people keep buying whatever it is because they’re morons and are spending the extra cash they got from the government or refinancing their mortgages on concert tickets instead of savings.

I know a guy pushing 60 who brags he has been to over 300 Bruce Springsteen concerts over the past 40-plus years, always paying top dollar and allegedly sitting so close that once Bruce dropped a guitar pick and he caught it -- a prized possession. And he can't wait to go again in DC in a few weeks, having spent $1,300 for a ticket in the best section of the arena.

To sum up -- Here's a guy who has spent $50,000 easily over the years to listen to a guy with a net worth of $500 million sing about the plight of the working man.

In the last several years, we spent around $10 to see The Blasters. Usually, though, for pop music the musicianship isn't worth it to see an act live. The drunks, the parking, the distance from the stage. The venues are so huge you wind up looking at a JumboTron.

Reactions: chroix
My GF and I looked into getting tickets to see Pink at the Yum Center in November but the prices were ridiculous. 300 level tickets were going for $200. You should not have to put a second mortgage on your home to buy concert tickets. Part of the problem is that stupid dynamic pricing ticketmaster has which adjusts the ticket prices based on interest. They start out at one price but will continuously increase as people search and buy. To me that is no different than scalping. Set a damn price and stick to it.

The biggest issue is that Ticketmaster/Live Nation has no competition. If you want to go to a concert, you are forced to pay their prices as well as their insane fees. I know Congress was looking into their fees and I really hope they step in to help out. The only way for pricing to change would be for everyone to stop buying tickets. That would impact change but it won't happen.

The number of acts that I will spend money on is few. They have priced me out and that's ok. I spend my money elsewhere.

But, I am confused. Did you have an awakening over the last two years? Or, did one business action affect you personally and one did not?

I may not agree with their stance but I do agree with their freedom to run their business how they see fit and to set conditions of employment for their employees.

I think they should be left up to the individual companies to decide.

I agree with you on government mandates. However, a private business has the right to set whatever conditions they want in regards to masks and vaccines for their employees and customers. Customers are free to take their business elsewhere. Employees are free to secure employment elsewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: TCurtis75
The number of acts that I will spend money on is few. They have priced me out and that's ok. I spend my money elsewhere.

But, I am confused. Did you have an awakening over the last two years? Or, did one business action affect you personally and one did not?
They can run their business as they see fit. However, with Ticketmaster/Live Nation being the only option for tickets they are in violation of many anti-trust/monopoly laws. Customers have no freedom to take their business elsewhere since that is the only option for tickets. That’s the difference here. And setting conditions of employment which the majority of posts you quoted are about had absolutely no bearing on this discussion. Your laughable attempt at a gotcha moment failed.

I spent $125 per ticket last fall to see Collective Soul. The only reason I did that is that they are one of my favorites and I had not gotten to see them. There are other shows that I would like to see, but I'm not paying the outrageous prices

The phrase "I may be old, but I saw all the cool bands" applies to me. When I was at UK in the 80's I would go to 9-10 shows a year and pay $15 per ticket at the most.

I really don’t have any desire to see any of the stadium acts (maybe Jack White excluded) because of the experience as well as price. Even the midsize places like the Louisville Palace are affiliated with Livenation and the prices are awful.

I enjoy small venues and Lexington is lucky to have one as good as The Burl.
Absodamnloutely. There's lots of good bands out there playing in small venues. When we're in Eat TN, the Down Home in Johnson City is a favorite and there are a lot of great places in Asheville like the Grey Eagle and Orange Peel. Lots of places here in South Florida too, with the Funky Biscuit in Boca Raton being our favorite.

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
I’m in Denver, too, and just stick to the smaller shows. I went to a few Red Rocks shows when I first moved out here, and got my feel of it. It’s a cool venue, but the tix prices with fees are ridiculous. Plus leaving after the shows is a huge pain.

Reactions: gamecockcat
I know a guy pushing 60 who brags he has been to over 300 Bruce Springsteen concerts over the past 40-plus years, always paying top dollar and allegedly sitting so close that once Bruce dropped a guitar pick and he caught it -- a prized possession. And he can't wait to go again in DC in a few weeks, having spent $1,300 for a ticket in the best section of the arena.

To sum up -- Here's a guy who has spent $50,000 easily over the years to listen to a guy with a net worth of $500 million sing about the plight of the working man.
I am just amazed anyone would pay to watch Springsteen once much less 300 times.

I’m in Denver, too, and just stick to the smaller shows. I went to a few Red Rocks shows when I first moved out here, and got my feel of it. It’s a cool venue, but the tix prices with fees are ridiculous. Plus leaving after the shows is a huge pain.

We just stopped by there to check it out on our way out of CO. Definitely a cool AF venue. I can not imagine the shit show after a large show there.

That's funny as shit! Does kind of seem quite the contradiction, doesn't it?

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
-paid big money for Tool, $300ish. Top of their game.

-steely dan (I know, but the wife loves them) was $80ish per seat...that makes sense for a legacy act.

-most other shows I go to are $25-$50. The burl, a few spots in Nashville and the Brady center in cincy.

^flaming lips, pixies, Yoakum, parquet courts, Steve Earl, son volt...and a ton more.

-gnr is 2 bills + at minimum for middling seats, lmao. Slash is still great but those dudes are way past their prime.

I don't go to many concerts anymore but I've been to 4 or 5 in the past 5 years. The most expensive one, pre-COVID, was at Red Rocks and I think, IIRC, the tickets were ~$60 apiece to see 4 bands. Just for fun, I noticed both Shania Twain and Springsteen are coming to the Nuggets arena here in Denver this spring. The least expensive ticket I could find on Ticketmaster, in the back corner of the arena in the upper deck, started at $180, not counting taxes/handling/fees. If you wanted a lower arena ticket they were starting around $350 and the two sections on the sides nearest the stage were >$700. Yes, they're big names but DAMN. That's a lot of dough for a friggin concert.

So, I thought perhaps it's just the big name acts charging outrageous prices. Looking at the lineup thus far for Red Rocks this year (which is mostly comprised of a bunch of musical groups I've never heard of), most 'cheap' tickets were >>$100 apiece. The bigger names I'd heard of were in excess of $200 for the most part. So, being a very big fan of Tx Country band Reckless Kelly, I looked at their website. So far, no dates in/around Denver but to see them in Gruene Hall just outside of San Antonio you'd fork over a minimum of $180/ticket. Bear in mind, I've seen them 5 times or so, never paying more than $30/ticket. The last two times (2019 and 2021) I was close enough I could have easily touched the members of the band on stage.

How does anyone afford going to more than a couple of concerts a year with prices like that? There just aren't that many groups I'd pay close to $1,000 to see play for a couple of hours. I make really good money but they've pretty much priced me out of attending a concert anymore. Certainly going to see a band I'm not that familiar with to check them out is completely out of the question.
I got 10th row lowers for GnR in Rupp ... tickets were like $179... totally fair IMO. Of course then ticketmaster tacks on almost another $50 in fees per ticket... still worth it.

Not many bands I would pay for but GnR is one of them...

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Saw Jethro Tull in 1975 at Cincinnati Riverfront Coliseum for $5.75. Talk about inflation! I’m sure many others here have similar stories.

Edit - Just ran the $5.75 and year 1975 through in inflation calculator. In today’s dollars that same ticket should cost $31.97.

Led Zeppelin tickets at freedom hall were like $12

From about 1995 until around 2005, I probably went to three concerts a month. It was my favorite thing to do. Lexington, Louisville, Cincy, and occasionally Nashville.

Prices have just been skyrocketing since then and took a huge jump in the last couple years. I probably go to 2 stadium shows a year now on an average. Ticketmaster/Live Nation has ruined the live music experience.

My max is $50. Why pay more to see a band than you would if you bought their whole catalog?

I used this same reasoning back about 10 years ago when The Stones would tour and the cheapest ticket would be $300. Hell, I’m sure I can but a box set of every song they ever recorded for $99. Then spend a couple hours on YouTube and watch their best live performances. Win!

Concerts are our vice...approx 75 shows the last 10 years of every genre. Prices all over the board...probably paid too much at times, and got good deals as well. It's all a matter of perspective. People buy $30K cars and people buy $100K cars.

Springsteen's second concert of this tour was at the Hard Rock in Hollywood FL earlier this month. This is a relatively small venue. I bought tickets the moment they went on sale and this was the first day of "dynamic" pricing being in effect. End result - I bought two "pit", i.e. General Admission floor, tickets for about $600 apiece. They came to $750 apiece with fees or $1500 total. That was way more than I've ever spent on any show. I ended up not being able to go b/c my wife is ill. So I sold them on Stubhub for $1500 apiece. So, I made $1500 bucks on the deal. There's always someone willing to pay more for a big show.

I used this same reasoning back about 10 years ago when The Stones would tour and the cheapest ticket would be $300. Hell, I’m sure I can but a box set of every song they ever recorded for $99. Then spend a couple hours on YouTube and watch their best live performances. Win!

Yeah the Police wanted a couple hundred for nosebleeds on their reunion tour. They’re all out of control. Especially when you can still catch great shows at small venues for $20 or less.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
Just saw Journey in Rupp lower arena in a corner across from the stage. 4th or 5th row.
Pretty sure I paid about $150 each through Ticketmaster.
Amazing show, but ridiculous cost.

One of the good parts of living right outside NYC. You can see a good act any night of the week for less than $40 if you wanted to.

Saw Jethro Tull in 1975 at Cincinnati Riverfront Coliseum for $5.75. Talk about inflation! I’m sure many others here have similar stories.

Edit - Just ran the $5.75 and year 1975 through in inflation calculator. In today’s dollars that same ticket should cost $31.97.
My Jethro Tull story from when they played at Freedom Hall. My date and I walked up to the window to buy tickets and the dude in front of us is taking forever. He finally moves on and the cashier says "This is your lucky day." I am thinking, I hope so and smile innocently at my date. She continues, "The guy in front of you has just traded in two front row seats because he wants to sit with some friends. Do you want them?" "Hell yeah." What a show.

I have paid up for 2 Concerts The Stones in Atlanta and Clapton in Nashville. But price included Lounge access where all food and drinks were included. Still the prices were Ridiculous

Millions prove they're willing to pay insane amounts every year, so it'll get worse before it gets better. Same with cons. To meet, get a photo with, and autograph of a film genre icon/legend a decade ago might've cost you $20. Now? In some cases, $150-$200. And people continue to pay. At some point, people need to reject the prices. Either that, or just hit up a bunch of festivals instead of paying some crazy dollar amount for one to three bands for a single night.

• Haha
Reactions: chroix
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT