ADVERTISEMENT

Collin Chandler

You guys remember Brett Bearup? He was LDS. As was Aaron Boone that played fb. Way back in the day the great Vern Hatton was.
You sure about Bearup? Hatton, yes and Boone, yes. Also Nate Knight I believe. There have been a handful of LDS football players. Also Mark and Jenny Hill in administration/softball.

Yes and no. Elite Mormon players still go to elite schools more often and than BYU. Jabari Parker and Frank Jackson went to Duke. Pope at UK. Mark Madsen at Stanford. There aren’t many elite Mormons to reference tho.
i have some life long friends that are Mormon
they believe that every true Mormon goes on their Mission

He should be the only BYU type player we take. The rest aren't SEC worthy. Not sure this guy is either.
If Padgett is an asst hopefully he will get Mark up to speed...fast..... on the type player needed to win in SEC.

So you want to bring in one BYU player and 11 or 12 from across the portal who've never played together or know Pope's system?

Odd.

Because I went on a 2 year mission too. I know what the rules allow for and it isn’t conducive to maintaining elite athleticism. Now when he gets back he will be able to train and it’ll come back. But not right away.
If he plans on transferring…can he leave the mission immediately? Not that he would.

i have some life long friends that are Mormon
they believe that every true Mormon goes on their Mission
Gotcha. I am LDS. Went on a mission. Went to BYU. Went to UK. I think I have a pretty good base of knowledge about these subjects.

Mark Pope didn’t go on a mission, I guess he's not a “true Mormon” by their definition.

Last edited:
If he plans on transferring…can he leave the mission immediately? Not that he would.
Missions are voluntary. He can leave whenever he wants. But its not likely that he wants to leave early. He will finish up his mission in June/July. Just keep in mind if he comes to UK that he will be behind his first year.

That’s kind silly man. They were like a top 35 team last year. If you take their top 5 guys and then and 3-4 key pieces you have a really good team.

They lost 11 games and lost to Duquesne last year and lost 8 big 12 games. People on here were furious we lost 5 sec games.

That won't fly at UK.

Gotcha. I am LDS. Went on a mission. Went to BYU. Went to UK. I think I have a pretty good base of knowledge about these subjects.
i have two friends that did their missions
one went to Africa, the other went some place i have never heard of

Missions are voluntary. He can leave whenever he wants. But its not likely that he wants to leave early. He will finish up his mission in June/July. Just keep in mind if he comes to UK that he will be behind his first year.
Elaborate? You can’t do anything that include your hobbies or interests while on a mission?
Serious question. Not being facetious.

For the people that are worried about the BYU guys talent level, they probably would've beat us this past year FWIW.

Cal at UK the last 4 seasons: 80-46
Pope at BYU the last 4 seasons: 86-44

Just goes to show where Cal had the program. We're building a team now, let Cal have the 5 stars that underperform and leave after a year

Elaborate? You can’t do anything that include your hobbies or interests while on a mission?
Serious question. Not being facetious.
Ill try. But there is a lot that goes into this answer. And a lot if it depends in the hobby. And it can depend on the specific mission presidents. Also, Im trying to type this on my phone (which I hate doing).

Missionaries get one day per week to do non-mission functions. So you can schedule hobby activities on this day. Something like basketball can be incorporated into quasi-mission functions. So it’s possible he could be playing ball more than 1x per week. But his competition isn’t going to help him much. If iron sharpens iron, he would have been playing against puddy for the past 2 years.

Reactions: UKFAN4L
I don't know anything about the guy. I didn't see him on this years recruiting board. Did he play at BYU or somewhere else or is a transfer?
He is a Mormon and just completed his mission. Would be glad to have him, but I do not see why he would leave BYU unless he really dislikes Pope's replacement.

For the people that are worried about the BYU guys talent level, they probably would've beat us this past year FWIW.

Cal at UK the last 4 seasons: 80-46
Pope at BYU the last 4 seasons: 86-44

Just goes to show where Cal had the program. We're building a team now, let Cal have the 5 stars that underperform and leave after a year
Each player is a different human being. They cannot be stereotyped by rankings or anything else.

He should be the only BYU type player we take. The rest aren't SEC worthy. Not sure this guy is either.
If Padgett is an asst hopefully he will get Mark up to speed...fast..... on the type player needed to win in SEC.
Pope played in the SEC.

Pope played in the SEC.
Pope was the captain of what I believe was UK's greatest team ever and one of the greatest in college basketball history. Among other things, that team scored 86 in the FIRST HALF on the road at LSU. He also played six seasons in the NBA. Pretty sure he knows a player when he sees one.

Reactions: westerncat
Steve Young didn't go because leaders Said he would serve a greater example staying and playing fb. Wanted to go.
yep that was the story that a 18 year old SY would set a better example by not going on a mission,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Pope’s first job is to get Collin Chandler to UK immediately. The kid was on a mission trip this past season but can ball. I would LOVE to see him and Reed out there together. 🤞🏼
The only player you want from BYU is Collin Chandler. Khalifa and the others are ok, but UK needs the best.

I wrote a few posts about him through the years about how Cal should start recruiting this kid….most on here told me he isn’t UK material. He’s played in our private open run for a few years and has OAD talent (some jazz NBa scouts and e/pro players in our summer run agree). Best comparison to a former UK player I have is a more athletic Antonio Reeves except switch elite three for elite twos, although he is a good three point shooter. Very aggressive, loves to try to lock down elite scorers and he’s a dog

So you want to bring in one BYU player and 11 or 12 from across the portal who've never played together or know Pope's system?

Odd.
These BYU men are so much more mature and coachable and understand sacriface. Not the entitled brats that used UK . All this worry is dumb folks. 5 5 stars couldnt beat Oakland who, not U. And before that St Peters. We are the fanbase others wish they could duplicate. The fans get it, our coach gets it, our AD gets, so now its time for the fans to get the swagger back, not a coach.

Reactions: katwest
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT